The More I Read, the Less I Understand!

Tatewaki

Always Scribblin'
Hi, All;

I've finished reading 85 of the 135 pages of the original thread. It's been hard going, but I'm slogging through it. I don't wish to annoy people by re-asking silly questions that have been answered dozens of times before.

I promised myself that I'd forego asking another question here until I finished reading the entire thread, but I find that I must now break that promise. You see, I'm becoming really confused about what BDSM means to me.

I realize that BDSM means different things to different people, and that a single definition can never fully describe such a complex topic. What it means to me is what I must figure out. So far, I'm not sure.

The reason for my trouble? I think that I don't know what aspects of it I'm attracted to the most. I'll try to explain things a little more.

I'm definitely attracted to women who are submissive. I always have been. This alone doesn't mean a thing. Many vanilla women act submissively to their husbands/boyfriends. My particular brand of submissiveness goes deeper, however. It's not that I must rule over every facet of another person's existence, but I definitely do get a serious rush when a woman seems to require my opinion on different matters, regardless of how trivial. Having her check with me over things like what clothes to wear, bath times, even weekend plans always makes me feel like she really cares about how I feel and that my opinions matter to her. It is not that she must do these things. The fact that she chooses to do these things that excites me. I return her interest tenfold. That feeling of having control, illusory as it is, feels wonderful. I treasure it when I have it.

I've come to the conclusion that it is the woman's psychological surrender that inflames me the most. Overly rough play I can do without, quite frankly. I don't judge those who prefer edge play, but it simply isn't for me. Perhaps one day I'll feel differently. It will depend upon who I end up with, I'm thinking.

I've also been with those who really needed physical restraints in order to get off. For them, if they weren’t tied down or otherwise immobilized they couldn't enjoy sex. I've seen it, and I accept it, but I really don't understand it. As for myself, when my hands are restrained and my vision cut off I panic. My reactions are severe, almost violent. I tried it twice in an attempt to understand just what it is these women enjoy about being restrained. I can't fathom it. At the same time, I love binding women, and using them while so immobilized. Hypocritical, right? I don't know ... must a man enjoy having done to him everything he enjoys doing to his woman? That would be egalitarian, but it doesn't seem realistic to me.

One thing I realized is that restraints certainly increase the level of intensity of sex. When I was restrained I could hear the hum of the flourescent lights, smell the buns from the bread maker taken out five hours previous, and feel the slight draft in the kitchen from the open window. I strained to hear her footfalls so I'd know exactly where she was. Unfortunately, I was too freaked to enjoy the experience much. Perhaps someday I'll try that again.

Maybe.

If I had to classify myself, I'd have to call myself a Gear Fetishist. I think I'm in love with the trappings more than the lifestyle itself. Seeing a woman in SS/L restraints, wearing bottines or arch-wrecking, strappy high heels gets me instantly hard. I can honestly say I've never seen an unattractive woman in bondage or fetish gear. A few strips of leather, chain or latex makes every woman sparkle in my eyes. I love the smell of leather and of latex. The feel of a woman's body encased in moulded PVC entrances me. For me, the visuals are the start of everything that follows after.

Does this make me a fake, a wannabe BDSMer? It isn't that I am -- I hope! -- pretending to be something I'm not, but I am aware that I only appreciate the most superficial aspects of this thing called BDSM. Perhaps this is only due to inexperience. On the other hand, perhaps it's that I don't really want to delve deeper into the subject.

Nah ... that isn't true either ...

I do want to delve deeper, but am quickly feeling that more reading isn't going to provide me with any more answers. Not that I feel I know it all; I'm aware that I know precious little. I think there comes a time when the theoretical must give way to actual experience. It feels like I am learning how to correct problems I haven't experienced yet and to avoid situations I might never encounter. Perhaps it would be better to live the life, encounter the difficulty, and then read up on how to solve the problems. My research just seems like a convenient excuse to not make a move and get started. As long as I can claim to be studying the subject, I can justify never actually delving further into it and gaining real firsthand experience.

It could be that I still have a bitter taste left over from my first taste of Neapolitan, and need this time in Vanilla-land to reset the tastebuds before trying another flavour. I'm taking a bite of the bland slice of bread prior to taking a sip from a second glass of wine, one much spicier than the type I'm used to. At least, this is what I'm telling myself. But does a wine taster gorge himself on an entire loaf of bread before taking his sip? No!

Lots of rambling, and not even a question for you guys this time ... I think I've bored enough people tonight with this post. I’ll continue reading the rest of the original thread. Perhaps Clarity will descend upon me yet.

G'Night, everyone.

-T

honey, anyone that far through the monster gets a bit screwed up :) seriously though, In my humble opinion, you are NOT a wannabe. In my eyes, the wannabe is a dangerous creature, pretending to know more than they do and in doing so endangering the health/sanity/feelings of a dom/sub who trusts them. you're learning, trying out a new coat. some styles dont fit, some dont, some make you feel plain daft. No one who is genuine here will judge you because you are honest with us. Ive been reading for a long time, I rarely post, I just felt moved to respond to you, don't beat yourself up. it can be hard discovering you're a perv (!) be true to yourself, be true to us, and you will be loved and respected for who you are. Enjoy the journey, no one ever really gets there. Much Love xxxxxx

madelaine angel said:
Ive been reading for a long time, I rarely post, I just felt moved to respond to you, don't beat yourself up. it can be hard discovering you're a perv (!) be true to yourself, be true to us, and you will be loved and respected for who you are. Enjoy the journey, no one ever really gets there. Much Love xxxxxx

Thanks for breaking your silence, Madelaine Angel. Your words are appreciated. Now as for me being a perv, I don't know about that ... I just know what I really like!

-T

Hi Tatewaki. I'm cym. I was taking a little break when you came in so... nice to meet you. You've encountered my name in the Mother thread since, like so many of us, i was here at the beginning of this thing.

I offer you my welcome, albeit one that's a tad tardy.
Tatewaki said:
I've finished reading 85 of the 135 pages of the original thread.
Congrats. You're exhibiting impressive determination.
I realize that BDSM means different things to different people, and that a single definition can never fully describe such a complex topic. What it means to me is what I must figure out. So far, I'm not sure.
You wouldn't be surprised, would you, to learn that what it means is an evolving definition for most of us?

It means something entirely different to me today, in the middle of my life, than it did when i was 16 and just beginning. Hell, it means something entirely different than it did to me last summer, as many here can attest.

It's a lifestyle or a style of sexual play.
It's all-encompassing or a thing done every few weekends.
It colors your world view or it adds a little bit of glitter to the edges.

We all have trouble quantifying and classifying it. The best we can ever do is to have some insight into what we eroticize and want and desire and hate and like - and then go find someone who shares most of those needs.
The reason for my trouble? I think that I don't know what aspects of it I'm attracted to the most. I'll try to explain things a little more.
<snip>
I've come to the conclusion that it is the woman's psychological surrender that inflames me the most. Overly rough play I can do without, quite frankly.
<snip>
I tried it twice in an attempt to understand just what it is these women enjoy about being restrained. I can't fathom it. At the same time, I love binding women, and using them while so immobilized.
<snip>
If I had to classify myself, I'd have to call myself a Gear Fetishist. I think I'm in love with the trappings more than the lifestyle itself.
<snip>
For me, the visuals are the start of everything that follows after.
It seems to me as if you've got a good start to an understanding of your personal BDSM needs and desires.

Have you come to the places in the Mother thread where links to any of the many "Likes/Dislikes/Needs/Wants Form"s are given? These forms can often be an invaluable resource for those trying to pick a path through the myriad choices available on the Buffet Table of Erotic Delights that is BDSM. They can help you eliminate things that aren't interesting to you, highlight things that are, and put question marks near stuff about which you don't have a clue. You can fill them out in at least two ways: (1) what you want to do to someone, and (2) what you want done to you. Here's one such link: http://www.ds-haven.com/choosechecklist.html At this site, there are several specialized checklists from which to choose.
Does this make me a fake, a wannabe BDSMer?
On the contrary, it makes you honest and open about your questions and confusions. You'll do well if you continue to be so, Tatewaki.
I think there comes a time when the theoretical must give way to actual experience. It feels like I am learning how to correct problems I haven't experienced yet and to avoid situations I might never encounter. Perhaps it would be better to live the life, encounter the difficulty, and then read up on how to solve the problems.
The eternal conundrum: do i learn about it first or let it teach me what i want to know?

And the answer is, of course, different for us all.
As long as I can claim to be studying the subject, I can justify never actually delving further into it and gaining real firsthand experience.
But you're too honest for that, aren't you? If you're scared, admit it and work with it. If you're reluctant because you've been hurt or made ashamed, admit it and go forward. If you just aren't ready, that's okay, too.

You don't seem like someone who'll choose to be forever on the sidelines. We're all ready to do this kind of touching according to our own internal needs. You'll know when you're ready. Until then, you're not.

It's simple.
I think I've bored enough people tonight with this post. I’ll continue reading the rest of the original thread. Perhaps Clarity will descend upon me yet.
I find you insightful and interesting. I'm glad you posted.

If you find Clarity, will you share with us?
:rose:

madelaine angel said:
honey, anyone that far through the monster gets a bit screwed up :)
Hey now! It was the center of the Lit posting universe for many of us for a long time, dearie. It was the genesis of *this* forum, too. Many of us have read all the way through it over and over and we're nooot ah... hmmm... screwy umm screwed in ohhhhh up, yeh, up.. at all.
:p

And welcome to you. I look forward to more of your posts.
It's nice to see all the brand new faces and names coming here.

Re: Re: The More I Read, the Less I Understand!

Cymbidia said:
If you find Clarity, will you share with us?
:rose:

Cym;

But of course! It feels like I know so many of you already. You especially -- you endue so much of yourself into your posts! Unfortunately, reading so many posts back to back has the undesirable effect of smearing everything togther in my mind. I can remember what was said, but have a hell of a time remembering exactly who said it. That, and often I associate the avatar to the actual poster. A sudden change in avatar throws me off for hours!

Thanks for the warm welcome. I look forward to reading what else you have said/have left to say in the Originating Thread and in these forums.

Warmest regards,

-T

BTW, I did find a couple of those checklists earlier, and download them. I have yet to fill them out, though. Not something I want to skim through and slap down responses to. I want to take my time and really discover how I feel about the subjects outlined therein.

cym sweetie i just meant that it takes a HUGE amount of determination to read 82 pages! Ive managed 97 and counting, it's an amazing record not just of many people's attitudes and experiences but of their lives too. Youve got to admit it can be hard going though! I know that there has been much thought put to archiving it by categorization, it would be a shame if the resource was lost by its own size. I'll volunteer to give some serious thought to it over the bank holiday if that would not be stepping on any toes? let me know. And Cym, I think that you're amazing. That's all.

Hello all... I have what is probably going to be a stupid question... What and where is this Monster thread that everyone keeps referring to? I would really like to read it, but have no idea where to look.. if someone could link me to it, I would appreciate it greatly!! Thank you in advance! :) sierra

Ty, Tatewaki for the link.. I think it will keep me very busy for awhile. If no one hears from me for awhile, come into the monster looking for me!!! LOL.... take care, and thanks again! :kiss: sierra

I bumped up a poll we had posted when the forum began.

Please, take a moment to look at it, read the responses and offer your input and ideas.

:)

MissTaken said:
I bumped up a poll we had posted when the forum began.

Please, take a moment to look at it, read the responses and offer your input and ideas.

I don't know if that was directed at me, Miss T, but I've done so.

-T

Tatewaki said:

I don't know if that was directed at me, Miss T, but I've done so.

-T

It is directed at anyone who visits the board.

Would especially like input from those reading that thread.

:)

It holds a special place for me. That thread was where I first "came out" to myself as well as my lit friends.

*smiles warmly*

MissTaken said:
It holds a special place for me. That thread was where I first "came out" to myself as well as my lit friends. *smiles warmly*

I understand that! I've never encountered so many genuine people in one place before.

-T

Hmmm, well, i'm up to page 22 in the monster thread.. so much excellent info in there, as well as some excellent links to pics (ty cym.... :p ). I feel as though i've found a second family, with all of you at Lit. You are all so honest, and caring, and i for one, thank all of you. Reading the monster thread has helped me to see where you all have come from in the past, and have seen you asking your own questions (i thought you all were just instant experts on the subject.. lol). Well, back to reading!! Be Well!:rose: sierra

Back