A Cautious Man Ch. 21-24

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
coaster2
coaster2
2,597 Followers

Bill returned to his office, but his thoughts were completely with Zena. He had to solve this problem with Traubel before he could resume his pursuit of the beautiful, dark-haired woman from his past and, he hoped, his future.

Zena sat in her office, staring into space, trying to make sense of her feelings. She was confused and yet elated. She was frightened of Roger, but had confidence that Bill and his friend could protect her. More importantly, she was coming to terms with her renewed feelings for Bill. She had been shocked to see him on Saturday morning and was still in shock that evening when they had dinner and danced at his club. It was all too fast to digest.

She wasn't ready to just pick up where they had left off twenty years earlier, even though Bill seemed to be prepared to do just that. She wanted time to think and that was the one thing that she hadn't been able to find. Too much was happening too quickly. As she sat in her chair, her focus was quickly brought to the figure of Ken Lee as he walked into her office.

"Are you OK, Zena?" he asked quietly.

"Yes, Ken, I'm fine. I just had a meeting to go to. I'm sorry I'm a bit late getting here."

"No need to explain, Bill told me about the ex-boyfriend. We'll keep an eye out for him and make sure you're protected." It wasn't an empty promise, she realized.

"You know Bill?" she asked, surprised.

"Yes, I consider him a friend. He sponsored me at his club and we've done a bit of business together. I gather he's very fond of you."

Zena blushed and looked away for a moment. She turned back to Ken.

"We were very close a long time ago," she said simply.

"Well, it's none of my business, but I think you two have something special. Just promise me you won't bail on me any time soon," he smiled.

"OK, Ken. You don't have to worry about that. If we can get this problem with my ex-boyfriend solved, I'll be back to my old self."

Ken nodded, smiled and left to return to his office. He was pleased that Zena had someone like Bill to look out for her. For selfish reasons, he wanted her to be happy and safe. He was confident that Bill could insure that.

Chapter 23:

Roger Traubel sat in his cell, quietly seething. He would pay that bitch back for sending him here. A fucking jail cell was no place for someone like him. He was two days away from his release and he was counting the hours. He was two days away from payback. Nobody fucked with Roger Traubel ... nobody!

"Traubel ... up! Inspection! You've got a visitor." It was an unfamiliar order from the guard. He'd had only one visitor in the past two years and that was his lawyer, trying to get him to pay his bill. The cell door slid aside and the guard walked in to inspect the cell and the prisoner. "March!" Roger Traubel was curious. Just two days from release and someone wanted to see him. What was this about? It couldn't be that lawyer again. He'd already attached his property for payment. Who was it?

"Sit down here," the guard ordered.

Traubel sat and waited to see who would appear on the other side of the Plexiglas panel. A moment later, a very tall, very tough looking man sat down opposite him and picked up the handset on his side. Roger picked up his set and waited for the stranger to begin.

"Roger Traubel?" It was a forceful voice and to Roger's mind, quite cold.

"Yah ... who are you?"

"That's not important, but what I'm going to tell you is. Are you paying attention?" Again, the cold voice.

"Go ahead."

"If I find out you have been within a hundred yards of any of your former girlfriends, you will be dealt with severely. Do I make myself clear?"

"Fuck you, asshole. Who do you think you are?" There was just the hint of uncertainty in Roger's voice.

"I am your worst enemy, Roger. I have a personal thing about guys who beat on women. It's so personal, that I deal with it myself and no one has escaped punishment. Do I make myself clear?"

"Don't threaten me, asshole. I've seen guys like you before. All talk and no action. You don't frighten me." Still the brave front, but again, a hint of uncertainty.

"Tell you what, Roger, you ask the guard who I am. You write it down so that you'll remember it. I promise you, once I deal with you, you'll never forget it. This is a friendly warning to a guy who finds it impossible to keep his temper from a guy who never, ever loses his. Am I making myself clear?"

"You don't frighten me. I can look after myself," Roger spat.

"You aren't acting very smart, Roger. You're asking for trouble and I promise you, you'll get it if you go anywhere near any, and I do mean any, of your ex-girlfriends. There's a reason they are ex-girlfriends. You didn't treat them very well and they don't want any part of you. You aren't welcome anywhere near any of them and I will be watching to make sure you don't do anything stupid. Get it?"

"Those broads needed to be taught a lesson. They needed to do what they were told without arguing. I just made sure they understood it," he bragged.

"I don't have any time for a big guy like you beating on a little woman because he's not afraid they will hit back. That just makes you gutless, Roger. You beat on women because you can't handle a real man ... can you?"

Roger just smirked and snorted his contempt for the big man. There was nothing more to be said and he just sat there waiting for the stranger to finish.

"You've been warned, Roger. You get only one warning." With that, the big man rose and turned away, walking from the interview room. Roger watched him go and waited for the guard to come and escort him back to his cell. As an afterthought, he turned to the attendant at the door.

"Who was that guy?"

"Uhhhh ... Martin Bloodstone, it says here. Funny though, he had CIA I.D. You some kind of spy or terrorist or something?" the guard asked with a smirk.

"No ... no ... nothing like that," he answered hesitantly. What the hell was a CIA guy doing here warning him off? It didn't make sense. He would have to think about his plan for revenge on that bitch, Zena. Somehow, she would still have to pay, but he would have to be careful. He pushed his concerns to the back of his mind and allowed his anger for the woman to move back to the forefront of his thoughts. Just two more days to freedom, and two more days before he could get his revenge.

Tex Langhorn knocked on Bill Orton's door frame before entering. Bill was on the phone and waved Tex to his customary seat opposite him. He finished his conversation and leaned forward, eager to hear the big man's report.

"Well, what do you know about Roger Traubel, Tex?"

"More than I care to. He's nothing if not consistent. He has a record from previous complaints for assault on women that make him the creep of the county. I found five women that he beat on, including Zena. None of them pressed charges because they couldn't get any support or protection from the police. Most of them just moved away, leaving him in their apartments in a couple of cases. He's a real piece of shit."

"What do you think he'll do?"

"I'm pretty sure he'll take a stab at Zena ... oops ... sorry ... poor choice of words," he apologized.

"Did you talk to him?"

"Yah ... he put on a brave front, but I think I got his attention. The trouble is boss, he loses his cool and then he forgets all the messages his brain might send him. We're just going to have to watch him like a hawk and intercept him if he figures out where Zena is. She doesn't have a listed number and she's moved since he was sent up, but just the same, he can find her if he has some contacts. No sense in not being on our toes."

"OK, Tex. Let's not take anything for granted. He's not stupid, just crazy," Bill said with a frown.

"I've got someone following him 24/7. We'll know if he tries anything at all."

"Thanks, Tex. I'm worried, but I feel better with you handling this. The cops are hopeless at protecting people. Keep me posted, please."

"You got it, Boss. I'll call you the minute he walks out of Carlton Correctional. He won't get a chance at Zena if I can help it." Tex rose, nodded and left the office. Bill leaned back in his chair and felt the emptiness in his stomach. He wanted this to be over with quickly. He would die if anything happened to Zena. He had to trust Tex and his methods. There was no other way.

Roger Traubel put down the phone as he finished writing the address of Zena Wildman on his note pad. He snorted his contempt for her attempt to escape him. It had simply been a matter of checking with her former employer to get her forwarding address. He simply had to pretend he was from a catalogue mail order company and had a package for her. It was simple, but worked like a charm. She had moved to Cambelltown. It would be a simple matter to get to her. He just had to be careful that he didn't run into any unexpected resistance.

With his limited financial resources, he got his car out of storage and got it running again. It was nothing special, but that was an advantage in these circumstances. It wouldn't stick out and be memorable. All that remained now was to be patient and wait for his chance. Oh yes ... and be careful. That big guy couldn't guard all five of his ex's at one time. Sooner or later he'd get his chance.

Tex watched the man back out of his parking space and head to the highway. It was almost a certainty that he would turn right toward Cambelltown, but the big security agent took nothing for granted. However, Roger did the predictable, made a right and began the one hour drive to Zena's new home. He would have no idea he was being followed. Tex was a pro and pros didn't make it obvious they were following someone. This project was a special one for him. He took this personally. Bill was a good man and a good friend. He would make sure nothing happened to Zena. He would look after it himself.

Roger pulled into the restaurant parking lot and found a space near the back perimeter. The lot was enclosed with a chain link fence and by parking nose-in, he could see the back of the apartment building where Zena now lived. He had no idea which apartments faced the back, but it didn't really matter. He planned to deal with her away from her home. He would wait until she left and would follow her. It was just a matter of opportunity and timing. He would get her, one way or another.

Tex parked on the other side of the road from the restaurant, keeping Traubel's car in plain sight. The man had been released from prison only two days ago and already he was stalking Zena. It was a sign his anger was overruling his caution. It would make him dangerous, but it would also make him vulnerable. Tex just had to be vigilant and wait for Roger to make his move.

Roger had seen Zena twice now and each time, he was brought almost to the boiling point. His anger seethed within him as he watched her walk into the building. Tomorrow, he would follow her and find out where she was working. Perhaps that would give him a better chance to isolate her and take her. One way or another, she was going to be his.

Tex had taken a room at the motel down the street from Zena's apartment, after he was sure Roger Traubel was staying elsewhere. Roger had become predictable. He would show up in the morning and watch Zena leave for work, then wait for her to get home before going back to his motel room. He was establishing her pattern, but Tex didn't think he was patient enough to really wait much longer. He was almost certain Roger would follow her to work soon. It would give him the best opportunity to snatch her. Tex had to be ready for anything.

The next morning, Tex's suspicions proved correct. Roger pulled out behind Zena's bus and kept a respectable distance without losing sight of the bus as it made its stops and starts. Tex drifted along behind Roger, mirroring his movements and yet not appearing obvious. When Zena finally got off and waited to cross the street to City Ford, Roger had established her destination. She had to wait for the light to change before crossing, but there was no one else with her and she would be vulnerable at that point.

Tex wasn't really ready for what happened next. As much as he had prepared himself for any eventuality, he was caught off-guard as Roger rapidly moved to the end of the block and his car mounted the curb, forcing Zena to jump back in defense. The passenger door swung open and Roger, sliding across the bench seat, reached out and grabbed the arm of Zena, pulling her into the opening of the door.

Zena began to scream as she saw who it was and frantically looked around for help. There didn't seem to be anyone nearby as she struggled to keep Roger from pulling her into the car. Her arm was on fire as he was using all his strength to force her into the car. Roger was enraged that she would put up this resistance and he was preparing to punch her to get her into the car. He could get a good shot at her torso, but her head was above the door opening and he was struggling to keep his grip and still try and get a shot in at her stomach.

Suddenly, Roger felt a terrible pain in his left ear and then a steel bar-like grip around his throat. He lost his grip on Zena's arm and felt himself losing consciousness. His last thought was that he had been hit by something, but he couldn't figure out what or how. Zena was leaning in fear against the lamppost, her arm aching from the strain and her body trembling in fear. Something had happened to put a stop to Roger's attack, but she wasn't sure what it was. Then, as she saw Tex Langhorn stand up and the prone figure of Roger Traubel lying across the seat of his car, she realized she was safe.

Tex quickly pulled his cell phone out and dialed 911. He reported an attempted kidnapping and walked toward Zena to be with her and help calm her down. When he had finished with the emergency call, he dialed Bill's number and in a few words, told him what had happened and where they were. A crowd had begun to form around the car and the three people involved in the altercation. Apparently, at least one person had witnessed the entire scene from the office window on the corner nearest the bus stop.

Zena was still shaking when the police cars began to arrive. Tex identified himself and passed the officers his I.D. and his card. He pointed to the prone and still unconscious figure of Roger Traubel and then to Zena. After a few minutes discussion, one of the officers leaned into the car and handcuffed Roger while he lay face down on the seat. Roger was showing signs of coming around and the police officers watched him until he began to attempt to get out of the car. In no time, two officers escorted him to one of the cruisers and pushed him into the back seat.

Bill Orton arrived about fifteen minutes after the police and quickly ran to Zena to hold her and try and calm her. He was trembling as much as she, and couldn't speak for a few moments as he held her to him.

"Are you alright, Zena? Did he hurt you?"

"My arm is sore ... Bill ... he tried to pull me into his car. I was terrified. I thought he would kill me. His face was all red and he was screaming at me. I thought he was crazy," she sobbed. She turned into Bill and he held her close until one of the police officers approached her.

"Miss ... I'm going to need a statement from you. I realize you're upset right now. Do you think you can tell me what happened?" he asked politely.

"Yes ... I think so. Can we go somewhere I can sit, please?"

"Why don't we sit in my car? It will be quieter there," he offered.

Zena slipped into the back seat of the cruiser while Bill stood beside the car, waiting for her to complete the interview. It took several minutes, but finally the door opened and a much steadier Zena climbed out of the police car and returned to Bill's embrace.

"They're going to charge him with attempted kidnapping and assault, Bill. With the statement from the other witness, he will be in jail for a long time," she said in a calm voice.

"I never want to hear about him again. Thank goodness Tex was nearby," Bill said in obvious relief.

"Yes ... he saved me just in time. I was losing my grip and my arm was very sore. I wouldn't have been able to resist much longer. I was so scared, Bill. I was sure he wanted to kill me."

Bill just held her to him and tried to soothe her as she relived the frightening experience. It had been a near thing, but Tex had saved her and Bill was grateful to the big Austrian for his quick action. He looked around for him and finally saw him in casual conversation with a couple of the police officers. They appeared to be very chummy and it didn't appear to Bill that Tex would be in any difficulty for his actions against Traubel. Just the same, he was curious. He took Zena's hand and they walked toward the three men.

"Tex, I just wanted to thank you for saving Zena. You were there just in the nick of time," Bill said.

"Don't be too quick to thank me, Boss. I was a few seconds slow. I didn't think the crazy bastard would make a move like that. I got caught with my pants down. I'm not very happy with myself right now."

It was one of the police officers that spoke up. "That isn't the whole story. The witness saw it differently. Tex was there when it counted."

Bill's head turned quickly to the policeman. "You know this man?" he asked quickly.

"Sure, he trained me. We were in Special Forces together. He was one tough teacher, but he was just as tough on himself. That's why we would go to the wall for him. He was one of us," the officer said with obvious pride.

Bill nodded in surprise and not a small amount of admiration for his security chief. He had known there was a military background, but Tex had never talked much about it. It seemed modesty was another of his virtues.

Chapter 24:

It took Zena some time to calm down from the event. They sat in Ken Lee's office until she began to feel better. She steadfastly refused to go to the hospital and have her arm looked at. She was sure it was just a strain and would be better in a day or so. Besides, she had a job to do. Bill and Ken sat on either side of her, making sure she was alright.

"OK, Zena, you head on home now. Take the rest of the day off and tomorrow if necessary. You've had a big shock to your system and the best thing you can do now is rest. We'll still have a lease department when you get back," Ken smiled.

"Ken's right, Zena. Get some rest and you'll feel better. I'll take you home," Bill offered.

"OK -- two against one, I can't win," she smiled wanly. She stood and held Bill's arm as they left the office and headed for Bill's car. He helped her into the seat and after closing the door, moved to the driver's side. He pulled carefully out into traffic and headed west down the boulevard. Zena looked at him in surprise.

"I though you were taking me home," she said.

"I am. I just didn't say whose home," he smiled. "I think you'll be more comfortable at my place and anyway, I wanted to introduce you to Junior. Then, I thought I would invite my folks over for a barbeque and a 'get reacquainted' session."

"Is this what they call a 'full court press' in basketball?" she asked with a vague smile.

"Yah ... I guess it is. You don't mind, do you?"

"No, I guess not. But remember, I said no funny business, remember?"

"Yah ... I remember," he said solemnly.

"Cheer up, Bill. I'm not trying to discourage you. I'm just trying to slow things down a bit. You've been in my thoughts every minute since we met on Saturday morning. Just give me some space, please," she pleaded.

"Of course. I guess I have been coming on pretty strong. I'm sorry, especially with this Traubel problem on your mind. It wasn't very thoughtful of me." Bill was genuinely contrite and Zena recognized it.

coaster2
coaster2
2,597 Followers