A Christmas Wish Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Okay, Mr. Hill, this is where we stand right now. The doctor is concerned about the baby. If Megan doesn't deliver on her own, we will have to take the baby by cesarean section. We will give her another week and watch to see if her water breaks. All other organs are functioning as they should, so we are hoping this will occur naturally as well, but if it doesn't, we'll have to go in and take the baby. We don't foresee any complications for your wife or the baby if that happens, but we would like to avoid any unnecessary trauma if at all possible. Do you understand?"

The nurse paused briefly to allow Josh time to consume all the new information and then she continued, "If a cesarean is needed, we will need your consent, just so you know."

Once again she asked if he had any questions.

"No," was his reply as he stood and walked back to Megan's bedside. He sat and grasped her hand once again. "Oh sweetheart, it's almost time for the baby to come," he whispered. He brushed her hair and fluffed her pillow the best he could without moving her.

"It's almost Christmas, darling," he told Megan as he watched the staff change her bedding.

In previous pregnancies, Megan had never carried the child this far.Was this God's way of making certain she would give birth?Josh wondered to himself as he sat by her bedside, their hands inseparable. It was Christmas Eve. The doctors and nurses as well as Peggy and Josh watched patiently, waiting for any signs of a beginning labor.

Holiday cheer could be heard echoing through the halls. This holiday hadn't stopped because of Megan's uncertain future. Even Santa Claus paid a visit. It was his last stop before heading home. He approached the door and with a soft rap on the glass captured Josh's attention.

"Come in, Santa," he whispered, not moving from the bedside.

The man dressed as Santa walked slowly and quietly toward Megan. He grasped her free hand, leaned toward her ear and said, "Santa knows your Christmas wish already. You don't have to say another word, nor dream another dream. Merry Christmas, my dear child." With that, he kissed her forehead and placed his other hand on her belly. He closed his eyes for a moment, merely seconds then opened them, gave Josh a smile and left the room as quietly as he entered.

No one will ever know what the man said so silently or who he said it to at that moment, but within thirty minutes, Megan's water broke and she went into labor. With the marvels of modern medicine and the grace of a higher power, Megan delivered a healthy baby girl six hours later.

After Josh cut the cord and the baby was cleansed, she was wrapped in a warm blanket and placed on her mother's chest. "Even if Megan doesn't realize what has happened today, she is bonding with her daughter. I can feel it." Josh held the baby against his wife. "Thank you," he said, looking out the window into the night sky.

Peggy was there for the delivery with camera in hand and captured the event for her daughter. "That is such a precious picture, Josh," Peggy said as she snapped several shots of the new family. After the pictures had been taken Josh returned his daughter to her own bed and then taken to the nursery for her feeding. Torn between wanting to be with her granddaughter and her daughter, Peggy sighed in exhaustion, "I should be with her."

"She's in good hands Peg," Josh comforted her. "Besides Megan needs you too."

Two hours after the delivery, as if the man in the red suit had asked God for a miracle, Megan opened her eyes. She turned her head and locked eyes with her husband, then smiled at him.

"Where am I?" she asked, her voice crackling.

"You're in the hospital sweetheart. Everything is going to be fine from now on." Josh motioned his hand toward the nurses and doctors watching in disbelief outside her room.

The medical staff on duty rushed in and after examining Megan only had one thing to say. "It's a miracle! There's no medical explanation. Her condition couldn't have cleared up so quickly."

Josh stepped to the side, allowing the staff to do what they needed to do. "Can you bring the baby back in here?"

He walked toward the tiny bed, which held his daughter. He gently picked her up and held her tight. When the last nurse left the room Josh carried the baby to Megan. He leaned down and placed the small infant in her arms. "Merry Christmas, sweetheart! You did it. This is your daughter, our daughter, Amber Grace Hill."

Speechless, Megan wrapped her arms around the soft, warm blanket and pulled her daughter to her cheek. Megan held her daughter for quite some time. When Josh sat beside her on the bed she whispered softly, "Oh my precious angel. We have waited so long for you to come to us. You are perfect. I love you."

~~~~~

Megan was released four days later with a clean bill of health. The diabetes she developed while with child had normalized after Amber's birth. She no longer needed medications to control her insulin and all symptoms of the coma were gone.

She needed some therapy to restore specific functions she'd once had, but all in all she was healthy. Her doctor wished the family well and asked permission to take a photo of the happy healthy family. Of course they granted his request.

After the picture was taken he told them their ride home was waiting for them at the entrance to the ER. Her doctor wasn't going to take any chances and when Megan was wheeled around the corner she saw the waiting ambulance, fully equipped with a car seat for the new baby.

"All set to go?" the paramedic asked, then he assisted Megan inside, followed by Josh and the baby.

Megan had no recollection of her coma or the birth of her daughter. She did know she was happy to finally be going home to her own house, her own bed, with her husband and baby girl.

Peggy had what some would call a sixth sense, and after the news of Santa visiting and the safe delivery of her first grandchild she rushed to her daughter's home and decorated the living room. Up went a tree and all the trimmings she could find. "This is going to be the best Christmas. I can feel it!"

Not knowing exactly when her daughter would return home in what condition, Peggy left the bed where it was but she changed the sheets and put the dirty linen in the laundry. Her adrenaline so strong, she managed to get everything completed in just a day.

She'd hesitated telling Josh what she'd done, figuring she would explain it later if things hadn't worked out. By the time Josh called her about Megan's recovery she had transformed the living room into a festive scene. The house was cleaned and ready for Megan's arrival. Even meals for the next few days were in the freezer.

The ambulance pulled up into the driveway. Before the paramedic could get to the back, Josh opened the doors and was taking the baby from the car seat. Peggy met them as Josh fumbled with his house keys. "I'll get that Josh," as she unlocked the front door.

Josh handed the baby to Peggy so he could help his wife into the house and when they saw the living room tears filled their eyes.

"A-hem," Peggy cleared her throat.

When Josh looked up at her she pointed to the archway just inside the door. Mistletoe hung over their heads, decorated with ivy, berries and gold ribbon. Josh didn't say a word; he just pulled Megan close to him and gave her a kiss she would remember forever.

Peggy placed Amber in her cradle and wished the paramedic Happy Holidays then closed the door. She wanted to give Josh and her daughter some privacy. She knew what was about to happen and didn't want to leave the baby alone, so she carried her granddaughter upstairs to the nursery and sat in the rocker.

"Welcome home sweetheart. I love you. Merry Christmas!" he whispered. His lips were so close to hers as he disengaged the kiss. He was so close she could feel the heat rise and she pulled him back in for a continuation of that kiss plus much more, lasting well into the night.

The End

12