A Civil War Tale Ch. 01

Story Info
Couple pays dearly for his freedom from a Union prison.
1k words
3.42
125.3k
6
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Tom was surprised when he was released from the Union prisoner of war camp and paroled home, swearing not to "take up arms henceforth against the Union" and return to war. He had no wish to ever go back to the battlefield. All he wanted was to return to his farm in Virginia, reunite with his wife, Leah, and try to pick up the pieces of his life again. But he was surprised that he, among the thousands of ordinary Confederate prisoners in the camp was released all by himself. He was soon to find out why.

When he got home he was in tears when his wife met him at the door of their modest farm, overwhelmed with seeing her after three years away. She seemed distracted, obviously happy to see him but something was obviously bothering her. His homecoming night they curled up together in bed and he made gentle love to her, overwhelmed with the feeling of having her back in his arms. But when their lovemaking was finished, he felt her break down, sobbing in his arms. No matter how much he pressed, she wouldn't or couldn't explain what was wrong, but just held him fiercely, sobbing out her love for him.

Two days later, he finally learned the cost of his freedom. A Yankee captain stopped by the house and asked to speak to him "outside." As they left the warm farmhouse kitchen, he looked back and saw his wife with a strange mix of pleading love and fear on her face.

The Yankee was obviously embarrassed, humming and hahing before he came to the point. And as he explained the situation, Tom felt a wave of anger and revulsion sweep over him. It was all he could do to keep from attacking the man, although he realized as he heard what he had to say that he was helpless.

The captain explained that this was Military Zone 4, under the command of Major Stark, and that the Major had arranged for his release. The reason for it was that his wife, Jessie, had agreed to provide 'certain services' for the officers under Major Stark's command. And using as polite a words as he could, the captain explained that their home, and his wife, had been identified as an 'officer comfort station' for officers of the Michigan 17th. As such, officers of the regiment were guaranteed 'a place of relief' from 'the stresses of duty'. And slowly Tom came to realize the deal his wife had made. To get him released from the camp, she had agreed to 'service' the Union officers. As he flushed in anger and moved towards the officer, he pulled his sidearm and became more blunt. "She made her bed! She's bin doin' this for the last month. You have two choices. Either you accept it and stay out of the way or you go back in and she goes to an enlisted man's camp!"

As angry as he was, Tom knew he had no choice. The 'enlisted men's camps' were rough brothels where the woman were used by dozens of men a night, often roughly, until they were so damaged that they were usually dead of disease or injury within a year. Here, she at least had some hope of surviving.

After the Captain left, he went back into the kitchen. She was curled up by the hearth weeping. And though he was angry, confused, and horribly wracked by jealousy, he could not be angry with her. She had done it for him, for them, and at an enormous cost to herself. After standing in the doorway for several minutes, he began to cry as he realized what price she had chosen to pay to gain his freedom from the horrors of the camp. And he went over to her, knelt beside her, and took her in his arms. At first she stiffened, but when he tipped her head up to him and gently kissed her, she flung herself in his arms, sobbing and begging his forgiveness. And the die was cast.

That night they made gentle love on their bed, and though through it all, he couldn't eliminate images from his head of what else had gone on there, he knew he owed her his life, and hence his love and understanding.

In the early morning hours, she explained how it would have to be. And over breakfast, Tom struggled with his limited reading skills and with his feelings to read the written document she had signed. The agreement she had made with the Major said she was 'available for visits' in the afternoon and evenings from Thursday to Saturday. Now that he was home, when a Union officer appeared in those hours, he must either be out of the house or leave it 'discreetly', and not return until after the officer had left. At no time was he to behave 'in a manner that would make the officer feel unwelcome or uncomfortable, in making use of the services of the household.'

When he raged about it, insisting that they would have to do something, perhaps leave until the war was over, she got angry. 'This is the only way for us to keep ourselves alive and together, and keep our farm! Don't you think I haven't been desperate to find a way out! Do you think I want to do this?' And faced by her anger, he could do nothing but agree, hold her sobbing in his arms, and tell her how much he loved her.

For the next three months, he endured, spending 'the hours' in the barn, trying to busy himself with tending the stock and mending equipment and harness. They never talked about it, living for those days when they knew they were safe from visits and could pretend they had a normal life. Then it became obvious that she was pregnant, and the second stage in the horror began.

Both of them tried to ignore what was obviously happening to her body, pretending things were normal as the held each other and made love on 'their days'. But the officers who came and used her the other nights figured it out, and one of them told the Major.