A Cloak of Lies Ch. 14

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

His swollen eyes grew round as his mouth dropped open in shock. Clamping it shut again, he scratched his scalp, opening one of his wounds. Lorette tore off a corner of her blouse and reached up to dab at the cut.

"Well? What's it going to be?" she asked.

"No man living has the guts to talk to me like that. You been hanging around Pavli's woman too long."

"She has a name. It's Camille. If you and I are going to be together, you're going to have to give her a little respect."

"Are we going to be together?"

"That's up to you. I expect my man to see me as a woman and not some helpless child in need of assistance. I need to know you won't treat me like a china doll."

He grinned crookedly. Gone was the look of disappointment and self-loathing. If not for the damage to his face, he would have looked almost boyish. Lorette felt like wrapping herself around him.

"I'm glad to hear it, Angel. I been having a hell of a time keeping my hands off you. Every time you pass by, I want to reach out and grab you."

"Glad to hear it, but I'm not one to be grabbed at, either. I had enough grabbing and obscenity on the island. I want tenderness and love."

"Yes, ma'am," he said, taking a step closer. "Whatever you want, you just tell me. Uh, except don't ask me to dance. I got two left feet."

"That's okay. We can get you lessons."

He laughed, a wonderful, jovial sound that tickled her to the core.

"I'll get you house broken yet," she said.

"I'm beginning to understand why Pavli lets his wo—Camille lead him around by the balls. Makes a man feel whole somehow."

She giggled softly, tossing away the bloodied rag as she stepped into his arms.

***

It was less than an hour after the first explosion and not more than half an hour after the final one that a helicopter showed up. The weary survivors were still trying to get their bearings when Brick yelled, "Hit the dirt!"

"It's just the local search and rescue 'copter," Niko said. "The blasts probably scared the low-landers out of their beds."

They took cover anyway. No sense in tempting fate. Under the shade and shelter of the trees, Lorette tended Brick's wounds—and they were many. He'd been shot, beaten and tortured, but nothing could wipe the silly grin off his face. As she cut away his trousers to gently tend a bullet wound in his thigh, Camille was offering less tender mercy to the one lone survivor of Oleander's band.

"Fuck, woman," the man groaned. Camille did her best to control her animosity as she dressed the head wound Niko had given him. "You cu..."

His words were cut short when Niko punched him in the mouth. "Watch your language, asshole. That's my wife."

"Niko, sweetheart?" Camille didn't look at her husband as she roughly wiped at the fresh blood spilling from the bad guy's lip. "I'm not going to be able to keep him alive if you don't stop beating on him."

"Then he better keep shut."

The man known as Gerard had awakened with a groan shortly after Oleander died. When Niko dragged him to the nearest tree and tied him up, Gerard had screamed in agony. There was a bone protruding from his left arm just above where his wrists were bound. As hard as she tried, Camille could not muster even the smallest crumb of sympathy for him. He was getting what he deserved.

"It's strange how this bone is sticking out," she said to no one in particular. "And he can still make a fist."

"That's 'cause it ain't his," Brick said from where he sat on a fallen log.

Remembering the occupied shoe that had landed on her after the blast, Camille shuddered. It was part of the man who had gone to pick up the object that Niko had wired with explosives. A wave of nausea hit her. Gerard started yelling for someone to pull it out of his arm.

"Shut up," Niko ordered. He pulled Camille to her feet and set her on a tree stump. "Hold it together, agapi. Just a little while longer and we'll be away from all this."

As if on cue, several more helicopters swooped overhead. With no safe place to land, men started dropping down ropes, commando style. All of them were armed, dressed in fatigues and ready for action.

"What now?" Camille asked. She'd had about as much as she could stand.

"It's the good guys," Niko said. He turned his attention to the one who appeared to be in charge. Extending a hand, he approached the man with a broad grin on his face. "Colonel, late as usual."

The man clasped Niko's hand. His face was less accommodating, his expression grim. "Just had to blow up an entire mountain, Pavli. I'd recognize your handiwork anywhere."

As Camille watched the exchange with mounting anxiety, she felt a soft tug on the hair at the back of her head. She turned to see a familiar, friendly face.

"Olan!" Fairly launching herself at him, she hugged him fiercely. "I'm so glad to see you."

"I'm glad to see you. When I heard what was going on up here, I thought the worst. Good to see you in one piece."

"Let go of my wife."

"Ah, the big Greek," Olan said in her ear. He gave her another squeeze before releasing her and turning to Niko. He greeted his old friend and looked around quizzically. "Oleander?"

"Yeah. Brick capped him off in front of the cabin. Not much left of him now. I guess you guys are left with mop up duties."

"That's okay. We brought your buddy Phelps along. Hand him a broom. I see the big ox survived. And it looks like he got the girl."

Brick was still grinning as Lorette continued to work on him. She had moved to the wound in his right shoulder, using the bandages one of the soldiers handed her.

"Yeah. He saved my life," Niko said.

"I've never seen him smile. He looks almost human."

"I heard that," Brick yelled. Lorette admonished him, her voice soothing and gentle. "But I'm gonna let it slide," he added.

"Where's that mangy wolf?"

"Keep your voice down, pal. He bought it in the cabin. Brick crushed the head of the guy who did it. Looks like someone squashed a melon. He's pretty tore up, but Lorette keeps his spirits up."

"Oh, I can see that."

"Hey, where you going?" Niko turned to see Camille walking away from all of them.

"I need to get away from here. It smells like death and it's making me sick."

"Not alone, you're not."

"Please, I just need some fresh air."

"I'll go with you. Stick to the path."

A few minutes later they stood by the waterfall, away from the cabin and the mayhem. They wrapped their arms about each other, holding tight and breathing the moist air. Camille was shaking, the tremors in her body growing stronger with each passing minute.

"Are you crying, love?" he asked.

"No." Her voice was little more than a sodden sob against his chest.

"Liar."

"How can you stand it? How did you live with this kind of fear?"

"I thought of you. Everything I did was to get back to you. You were all that kept me going."

"And you thought I'd be there, just waiting..."

"I'm an arrogant son-of-a-bitch, but yeah. I thought you would be waiting for me."

"I waited a long time, Niko. You didn't come back. I had to let you go."

He pushed her down on a boulder and crouched in front of her. His eyes held all the pain of separation and years...and maybe something more. "You were right, agapi mou. All that time, I didn't stop to think what you were going through. I just expected you to be there. All I ever thought about was what I wanted, what I needed. It's all over now. With Oleander dead, no one will bother you anymore. If you want me to leave you alone, I will. It'll probably kill me, but I'll go. You're going to have to tell me, though."

"God, you're such an asshole." She grabbed a handful of his shirt and pulled him close. "If you think you're going to run out on me again, you got another think coming. After everything you put me through, after all the bullshit, you're stuck with me. Get that through your thick skull right now."

He was just about to smother her with kisses when he heard a footstep behind him. As he reached for the revolver at his back, a familiar voice spoke.

"So this is the face of the lady that launched a thousand ships," Colonel Hansen said. "Or more accurately, the US Military."

"Christ, Hansen, your timing sucks." Niko stood up, turning to face the man and his entourage. He helped Camille to her feet. "Camille, this is Colonel Roger Hansen."

Hansen shook her hand, smiling broadly. "It's a real honor to finally meet the woman who flushed out one of the world's worst criminals. I hope you'll forgive me for the intrusion."

"Actually," Niko said, taking his wife's arm. "If you don't mind, I was just about to make love to my wife. Think we could get a little privacy?"

Hansen was still chuckling as he walked back toward the shattered cabin. As soon as he was out of sight, Camille slugged her husband in the arm. She was blushing clear to her temples, as much from anger as embarrassment. "If you think you're going to get me naked now, you are sadly mistaken."

His left eyebrow lifted ominously.

"Niko, whatever's on your mind, you can forget it." She took a step backward, skirted the boulder and turned to run.

He had her in an instant, swinging her up in his arms and heading for the pool at a dead run. Still holding her, he jumped in, bathing them both in the icy water. She squealed and swatted at him, making a pretense of swimming to the edge. He pulled her back, wrapping his arms around her and stealing her breath with a kiss.

She was lost in that moment. She didn't know much other than she never wanted to leave his arms again. A few minutes later, he carried her to the bank, laid her down on the grass and made good on his statement to Hansen. He made love to his wife right there by the water. An hour later when they returned to camp, they were hoisted up to a waiting helicopter and carried back to civilization. Both were grinning, shivering in their damp clothing and happily exhausted.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

Thank you all for your patience while I finished this story. I hope you enjoyed it. The epilogue is next.

If you have a few moments, feel free to leave a comment and a vote.

With my thanks,

Molly