A Different Kind of Love

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The work day dragged by. Joseph had several projects that needed his attention, but he couldn't concentrate. All he could do was think about the beautiful young woman he kept seeing. He had never gotten a really close look at her except for that moment in the video store, and that had only been for a split second. But he knew her appearance well. She had the well-toned body of an athletic woman, trim rather than muscular. She was fairly tall, perhaps about 5' 8". Every time he saw her, he was impressed by her, and not just by her body. She had lush, wavy brown hair, similar in color to his when he was younger, and hazel eyes. In some ways, her eyes were her most attractive feature. The only person he had ever seen with eyes exactly that color was his own daughter.

Joseph was relieved when lunch time came. He went to the cafe across the street, took his usual seat by the window, and was just about to order, when she appeared outside. This time, she was wearing a bright yellow tank top and khaki shorts that showed again how appealing her figure was. Their eyes met, and they smiled at each other. Then she began to walk away.

As quickly as he could, Joseph went outside. She was already near the end of the block. Before he could catch up to her, she turned the corner. He saw her turn, and he jogged a few steps and turned the way she had gone. "What the hell?" he said aloud. She was nowhere in sight. "Where did she go? Damn it!"

"Looking for someone?" an old man's voice said. Joseph turned to look for the person who had spoken, but could see no one. The voice spoke again, seemingly right over Joseph's shoulder. "You'll meet her some day, young man. You just don't have enough love in your heart for her yet."

Joseph spun around to confront the speaker. "Who are you? What do you know about her? Where the fuck did you go?" Joseph said to the empty air in front of him.

"Mommy, that man said a bad word," a little girl standing near Joseph said to her mother.

"Shhh, sweetheart, some people don't know how to act in public," the mother said.

"The man was talking to an old man who looked like the man in my story book about the Vikings. But now I don't see the old man," the child said.

Joseph knelt down in front of the little girl. "Did you see which way the old man went?" he asked.

"Sir, I wish you would not talk to my daughter," the little girl's mother said, holding her child's hand tightly.

Joseph looked up at the woman. "I'm sorry ma'am. I don't mean any harm, but your daughter just said she saw the old man who spoke to me, and I think he may be able to help me find someone I'm looking for."

"Sir, there was no old man here. You were talking to yourself."

"No he wasn't, Mommy. He was talking to that old Viking kind of man."

"Janie, we've talked about you making up stories," the mother said.

"Honey," Joseph said to the little girl, "did you see where the Viking went?"

"He went down the street and was talking to that pretty lady in the yellow shirt."

Joseph almost shouted at the little girl, "Where are they now?"

"Sir, I will not ask you again to leave us alone," the mother said, grabbing a container of pepper spray from her purse. "Come on Janie, we need to go."

"Ma'am, I need to talk to your daughter," Joseph said. "Janie, I need you to tell me...."

"Are you on drugs, or are you just crazy?" the mother said, grabbing her daughter and beginning to move away. "Don't speak to us again, and don't try to follow us. I will spray you and I will call the police!"

The mother hurried her daughter away from Joseph, leaving him standing there, completely confused. "My God," he thought, "am I going nuts?"

That weekend, Joseph went to the cemetery to put flowers on the graves of his women. Again, he felt he was being watched. When he turned around, he saw her clearly. She was standing behind the next row of tombstones, wearing a simple shell top and slacks, facing him. "Hello," he said.

"Hello. Those are very nice flowers," Farrah said.

"They're for my 'girls'," Joseph said. "My grandmother, my mother, my wife, and my daughter are all here."

"I'm very sorry for all your losses," Farrah said.

"Do you have loved ones here?" Joseph asked.

"I came to visit my mother's grave," Farrah answered. "I've been away for years, but I used to come here often with my father."

"Is he still living?"

"Yes."

"I never knew my father," Joseph said. "He was killed in the very early days of the Viet Nam war. My mother found out she was pregnant with me the same day the telegram came saying he had been killed."

"How awful," Farrah said.

"It was a long time ago. Since I never knew him, I never really missed him. My grandmother died of a massive stroke earlier this month, my mother lost her battle with cancer a few years ago, and my wife died in childbirth."

"What happened to your daughter?" Farrah asked.

"Honestly, I don't know," Joseph answered. "This headstone marks an empty grave. She disappeared ten years ago. Didn't leave a trace. I searched for her for years, but there was nothing. Eventually, I decided to have a stone put up in her memory."

Farrah smiled sympathetically at him. "That must have been very hard for you."

"I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. But enough of that. The past is the past. Oh, where are my manners? I'm Joseph Jacobs. And you are...?"

"What do I tell him?" Farrah thought. She glanced at a grave marker near her, then the line of trees that bordered the graveyard. Aloud to Joseph she said, "Um..., I'm Jennifer Oaks. Call me Jenny."

"I'm glad to meet you, Jenny," Joseph said, walking toward her and extending his hand.

"It's too soon for him to touch me!" Farrah thought. She shrank back from Joseph and said, "Um..., I'm sorry, but I have, um..., some touch issues. I don't mean to be rude or unfriendly, but I'm not sure I want you to touch my hand. Please forgive me. I'm really sorry!"

"No, no, no, Jenny, I'm the one that's sorry. I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable."

"It's okay. Trust me; it's a long and complicated story."

"So tell me, Jenny," Joseph said, "you said you've been away. When did you return to the area?"

"A couple of weeks ago."

"I could swear I've seen you around. In fact, I'm sure I saw you on the street the other day outside the place where I usually eat lunch."

"You're right, Joseph. You did. I remember seeing you through the window."

"And I'm sure I saw you in a video store a couple of weeks ago. I think I almost knocked you down."

"Yes, I remember that," Farrah said.

"And I think you were in the lobby of my office building across from the cafe the other morning."

"Um, yes, yes I was. I wanted to go up to the roof to see the skyline," Farrah said, thinking quickly.

"You have to know someone who works in the building to get up there. You need a key, because they keep the door to the roof locked."

"Oh," Farrah said.

"But now you do know someone who works there. I could take you up sometime. On a clear day, the view is spectacular."

"That sounds nice. I'd like that."

"How about Monday evening? I have a conference call scheduled that might keep me until 6:00 or so. Could I come and pick you up after that?" Joseph said.

"I can meet you at your office after work," Farrah said, knowing from following Joseph that no one else would be there to see him talking to thin air.

"You'll have to take the elevator to the twenty-seventh floor. I'm at Snelling and Sons. Everybody clears out right at 5:00, but I'll make sure to have the reception room door unlocked. If I'm not out there waiting for you, just come in and holler for me," Joseph said.

"I'm looking forward to it. But I really have to go now," Jenny said. "I'll see you Monday at 6."

"Can I give you a ride home?" Joseph said.

"Oh, no thanks. I have someone coming to get me. In fact, they're probably out there now. Good to finally meet you, Joseph!" She turned and walked quickly toward the trellises with the wisteria, heading to the parking lot.

Joseph watched her go, entranced by her movements as she walked. "She moves with a grace like no living woman I've ever seen," he thought. Then he decided to go, too. He walked down the same path, hoping to get a chance to see her and talk to her some more before her ride came for her. When he got to the parking lot, she was gone.

On Monday evening, Farrah was sitting in the empty reception room when Joseph came out of his office shortly before 6pm.

"Hi, Jenny, I didn't hear you come in," Joseph said.

"I'm pretty quiet," she said.

"It's nice and clear today. Shall we go up to the roof?" Joseph asked.

"Lead the way," Farrah said, smiling at him.

Joseph held the door for her, and she was careful not to brush against him as she passed.

Although she had been there before with her father as a young teen, the rooftop had been bare at that time. Now, there was a thriving rooftop garden, with flowers, ornamental trees, walkways, and benches. "This wasn't here before," she exclaimed. "When did they do this?"

"You were here before?" Joseph asked.

"Yes, maybe fifteen years ago. It's beautiful now," Farrah exclaimed.

"How did you get up here?"

"Um, my father brought me here. He worked in this building," Farrah said, recovering.

"Let me show you the view, Jenny. Over there, to the west, is the river. Out there, to the north, you can just make out some mountains. I used to take my daughter skiing there in the winter. And over there, to the east, is where I live."

"Amazing. With the garden and trees, I almost feel like I'm in a park," Farrah said. "And smell the flowers!"

"They're great, but I smell something I like better," Joseph said.

"What's that?"

"Your cologne, Jenny. Faberge Aphrodesia, isn't it?"

"How did you know?"

"My daughter used to wear it all the time. Sometimes, when I think about her, I think I can still smell it. But I thought they stopped making it years ago," Joseph said.

"I, uh, I, uh, I stocked up on it," Farrah stammered.

"It's nice. It suits you."

"Thank you."

They stayed on the roof for a while, enjoying the view, strolling on the paths through the gardens, and talking. Several times, Joseph got a little too close to Farrah, and she shyly moved away.

After about an hour, they found themselves at the railing again, on the side facing the area where Joseph lived. Farrah was talking, but suddenly stopped in mid-sentence. "Joseph, what are you looking at?"

"I'm sorry. I guess I've been staring at you. You're very beautiful. And somehow, you seem familiar to me. Like I've known you for years. I'm comfortable with you," Joseph said.

This remark worried Farrah. She wondered if he suspected her true identity, and questioned again how she could make him love her without revealing who she really was. For lack of a better response, she said, "I'm comfortable with you, too."

He reached for her hand. She sensed him reaching out for her, and stepped back. "I'm sorry, Joseph, I really am, but I just can't let you touch me. It's not you. Please believe that. It's me. Someday, when we get to know each other better, I'll try to explain."

"It's okay, Jenny. I won't pretend I understand, because I don't, but I like you and I respect you. You must have been hurt very badly, and I'm sorry for that. Hopefully, we can become good enough friends that you'll trust me enough to explain it to me," Joseph said.

They weren't alone on the roof. Torstein and Eleanor had materialized behind them. "He's falling for her," Eleanor said.

"Hard. Very hard," Torstein agreed.

Joseph and Farrah (or as he called her, Jenny) began to see each other on a regular basis. Farrah was very careful to set up their meetings in places where they would not be seen by others. She was very much aware of the problems it could create if Joseph were seen talking to a woman who wasn't there, especially if someone pointed it out to him. Also, Farrah would always arrange to meet Joseph somewhere, or to appear to have been dropped off at their meeting place, so Joseph would not see that she did not have a home.

One evening, they were walking in the woods near Joseph's house. There were footpaths there, used by joggers and hikers during the day, but usually deserted at night. Farrah and Joseph were having an animated discussion, laughing and talking about something they had both seen on TV one night when they were apart. Farrah didn't notice the older couple walking toward them until it was too late to hide.

"Good evening," the man said. "Nice night for a walk."

"Good evening," Joseph said.

"Good evening, miss," the older gentleman said, tipping his hat as he and his companion stood to the side of the path to let Farrah and Joseph pass.

"He saw me!" Farrah thought. "His wife did too. She smiled at me and looked me right in the eye!"

When they had passed, Farrah and Joseph heard the man say to his wife, "She looks a little young for him, don't you think?"

"I don't know about that Frank, but she's too young for you. Stop staring at her backside!"

As Farrah stifled a giggle, Joseph whispered to her, "The old guy has good taste."

Farrah could hardly wait to see Eleanor and Torstein later on that night. "I'm visible. Oh my God, I'm visible! We passed an older couple when we were out walking, and they both saw me!" Farrah cried when she found her friends. "I'm going to live again!"

"Now child, don't get your hopes up," Torstein said. "Becoming visible to random mortals is one thing; becoming mortal again yourself is quite another. You still have a long way to go."

"But it's a positive step, isn't it? It's a really big step!" Farrah said.

"Yes, honey, it's a step," Eleanor said. "We've been watching you, and it's obvious that Joseph is becoming very fond of you. But you need to be patient. He has to be completely, madly, head-over-heels in love with you for you to have even the slightest chance of regaining your mortality."

"And I'm still not convinced it can really happen," Torstein mumbled.

The next night, Farrah was bursting with anticipation when she met Joseph. What should she do? Did she dare to risk letting him touch her? If he did, and if he did not feel her skin, she was afraid she would never see him again, and that she would be condemned to spend eternity wandering the earth, neither alive nor truly dead.

They went for a walk again, this time on the sidewalks of the city near Joseph's office. Farrah made it a point to smile at the people they passed, and many of them smiled back. "They see me!" she thought.

"You seem especially happy tonight, Jenny," Joseph said.

"I am. I really am."

"Why?" Joseph asked.

"Because I'm with you."

"Well, that's good. I can't seem to stop thinking about you. When we're together, I'm the happiest man alive. When we're apart, I can't seem to do anything except think about you, or look at the clock to see how long it will be until I'm with you again."

"Oh, Joseph, that's such a nice thing to say."

"It's true." They walked a while in contented silence.

"I have an idea," Joseph said.

"What's that?" Farrah asked.

"Let's go to a movie."

"Oh, that could be fun."

"What would you like to see? An action film, a comedy, or a romance?" Joseph asked.

"I'm a sucker for a good romance," Farrah said.

Joseph sighed dramatically. "For my Jenny, I'll go to a chick-flick."

Farrah laughed. "There's a newsstand on the corner. Let's get a paper and see what's playing."

"I already checked. There's a new romance showing at the theater in the next block. The next show time is in fifteen minutes."

"You old dog, you planned this didn't you?" Farrah asked, giggling.

"Yup."

At the ticket window, the bored teenager didn't question Joseph's request for two tickets. The girl taking the tickets smiled at the couple when they entered the theater. "Great date movie," she said.

The theater wasn't crowded, so Joseph and Farrah were able to find seats that were apart from the others in the audience. Joseph motioned for Farrah to go into the row first, and she realized that her hip brushed lightly against his as she moved past him to her seat. She was thrilled that Joseph showed no reaction, no indication that he had felt anything strange.

About halfway through the film, she felt it. Joseph reached over the arm of the seat and touched her hand. She froze for a second, waiting for his surprised reaction. She knew it could be the end of everything between them if he could not feel her skin. But nothing happened. He just kept his hand there, lightly touching the back of hers. Farrah began to relax.

Joseph leaned over and whispered to Farrah, "Jenny, is this okay? Do you mind me touching your hand?"

"It's fine. In fact, it's more than fine. It's very nice." She turned her hand and lightly gripped his.

After the movie, Joseph said, "I enjoyed that."

"The movie? I thought you were just enduring the 'chick-flick' for my sake," Farrah laughed.

"The movie I endured. Barely. But that's not what I was talking about. I was talking about you letting me hold your hand. I really appreciated that. I know it was hard for you."

"Joseph, I enjoyed it too."

The next day was Saturday. Joseph awoke to the sound of someone knocking on his door early in the morning. He made his way downstairs in only his pajama pants. When he opened the door, Farrah was standing on the porch.

"Jenny, what a surprise! Come in, please. How did you know where I live?" Joseph asked.

Ignoring his question, Farrah walked in and closed the door behind her. "I've been thinking all night, and I've come to talk with you, Joseph. I need to ask you a question."

"What's that, honey? What's wrong?"

Jenny said nothing. She simply walked up to Joseph and put her arms around him. He hugged her, and she began to sob quietly.

"Baby, what is it? What's going on?"

Farrah pulled back from his embrace. "Joseph, I need to know how you feel about me."

Joseph looked at her, his gaze flicking from one eye to the other. Finally he said, "I love you. I feel like I've always loved you. I don't know what I've done to keep sane all these lonely years, but now I have a woman in my life that I love like I've never loved before."

"Good. Because, Joseph, I love you more than I ever thought possible." She kissed him, and he pulled her close to kiss her back. Their first kiss was tender.

When it was over, Farrah asked, "How did that feel?"

"Amazing. Like no kiss I've ever felt before. Like the kiss of an angel. I've waited for this for so long," Joseph whispered.

"So have I. I was just afraid before." She held him close and kissed him again. This kiss was warm. The next kiss was hot. Their tongues caressed each other, and Joseph could feel her nipples growing hard against him, as she could feel his manhood growing hard against her.

"Jenny, I'm so in love with you that I don't know what to do," Joseph said as he began to kiss her neck.

"I think I do," she said, as she took his hand and began leading him upstairs to his room.

When they got to his bed, they kissed again. This time, the kiss was urgent. When they broke for air, Farrah smiled at Joseph, and then gave him a little shove, so that he sat down on his bed. "This is it," she thought. "The moment of truth."

She kicked off her sandals and gave Joseph a smoky smile. Then she pulled her t-shirt up over her head. Joseph watched in awed anticipation as she pulled her shorts down and kicked them off, leaving her standing in front of him in a tiny lace bra and boy short panties. The fabric of the bra did little to hide her erect nipples, and the cloth of the panties was translucent with her womanly moisture.

Farrah sat on the bed next to him, and they kissed again. "Make love to me Joseph. Share your love with me. Bring me to life," she said.