A Family Affair Ch. 05

Story Info
Kent gets suspicious; Maybelle confronts Cathryn.
3k words
4.33
14.8k
2
0

Part 5 of the 8 part series

Updated 11/02/2022
Created 01/17/2006
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Soft candle light flickered over the stark white tablecloth. The food on her plate was rich, heavy, and delicious. The restaurant was perfectly decorated for romance. But Cathryn wasn't any more interested in it than she was the man across from her. Absently she twirled her wine glass by the stem and thought of her other birthday dinner.

Were she had set out in the heat on a picnic table near screaming children licking greasy chicken off her fingers. That was a great birthday dinner she thought to herself. She glanced down at the bright green stone on her finger and bit back a sigh.

"Not hungry dear." Kent's voice brought her out of her recollections with a snap.

Glaring at him for interrupting her thoughts Cathryn snapped. "No I don't guess I am."

"You should eat something dear. You'll waste away to nothing."

Cathryn snorted into her wine glass and muttered, "Not much chance of that."

Kent knew that the evening wasn't going as her planned but he kept trudging forward. Nothing he did seemed to impress her. Sure she said the red roses were pretty, but there wasn't much enthusiasm in her voice. The gold necklace he bought her lay shining against the swell of her breast. She put it on after she thanked him politely like you would a stranger that holds the door for you.

Now she was picking as her food and toying with her wineglass. Every movement of her hand caused the candlelight reflect green flames from the emerald on her finger.

He scowled at the ring. Not quite believing that it was a gift from her friend. True in the past Lizy had given her rings but never any so expensive. For the life of him he couldn't think who would give her such a pricy present though.

Now wasn't the time to question her. Kent wanted her to have a great birthday. Maybe if she did she would come back to bed tonight.

When the meal was over Cathryn was ready to go home and go to her couch. As soon as she got in the truck she turned up the radio to deter Kent from conversation. It didn't stop him from trying to talk over the radio and asking stupid questions.

She was the first out of the truck and moving towards the door. Three feet from the door she stopped short. Sitting of the mat was a Mason jar filled with sunny black-eyed Susans. Leaning against the jar was a note, so she bent down and picked both up and read the note.

Happy Birthday Cathryn,

While I was mowing hay I saw these. I remembered how much you like them. So I picked them for your

birthday. Hope you had a great one.

Sam

"Who's that from?" Kent said from behind her.

Cathryn opened the door and breezed in. "Sam."

"Why did he bring you weeds?"

Exasperated Cathryn looked over at him. "They aren't weeds, they are wildflowers."

"Looks like weeds to me."

Cathryn glared at him and went into the living room to arrange the golden flowers on the coffee table next to her 'bed'. The red roses Kent got her were on the dining room table. Red was pretty but yellow was her favorite, not that he ever remembered. Even though their wedding flowers were yellow roses and black-eyed Susans or weeds as he called them.

Once the flowers were placed where she wanted them she went upstairs to change into her night gown. Kent was sitting up in the bed waiting on her. "Come on to bed and I'll give you the rest of your present."

Cathryn barely spared him a glance while she dug through the drawer for a clean gown. When she found one she strolled over to the master bath to clean off her make-up and get ready for bed.

Kent waited until she stepped back out into the bedroom before trying again. "It's your birthday we should make love."

"It's my birthday, even more reason not to." Cathryn said dryly. "If I'm not interested any other time why do you think I would want to ruin by birthday."

Kent stared after her as she walked from the room. That barb hurt more than he was willing to admit. Resigned to spend another night alone he switched off the lamp light and tired to get some sleep.

On the couch she lay there staring at the flowers from Sam. Silent tears ran down her cheeks as she drifted off to sleep.

He knew it was probably a stupid move by bringing her flowers. But they reminded him of her. She loved wildflowers and it was her birthday. Sam rolled over in his single bed and punched his pillow.

Kent couldn't even remember what color roses to buy her. Earlier that day he saw the red ones sitting on the dining room table. That was part of the reason he felt compelled to pick the Susans. To show her that he cared enough to remember. That he lover her more.

Sam whacked his pillow a few more times and tried to settle into sleep. In November he would give her the go ahead to leave Kent. That would be long enough. Sam drifted off to sleep so he could be rested for putting in square bales tomorrow after church.

*****

By mid-afternoon it was pushing one-hundred and five degrees. The humidity was at a record high and Sam was stuck in a hay loft stacking square bales. Despite the itchy hay he had stripped off his shirt in concession to the heat. He thought about the pants too but figured it wouldn't do much good and he would look rather silly in his work boots and briefs.

The hay elevator whined and ground to a stop, again. That was the seventh time that day. For once Sam was glad to hear it die, that meant he could catch a break and down some Gatorade. He picked up the gallon jug from beside the door, chugged some down, and listened to Kent cuss the faulty machine.

Kent was already pissed off. After last night his mood was dark and the piece of shit elevator wasn't helping any. It was hot and he itched all over. In frustration he drew back and kicked the machine with his steel toed boots then scrambled to catch it before it slid from the loft to the ground.

"Fucking piece of shit!" Sam heard Kent shout before he caught and righted the elevator.

"Problem down there?" He asked trying to keep a straight face as he look down at his cousin.

Kent unplugged the motor and picked up a screwdriver to work on the belt. He looked up at Sam and scowled. "Go ahead and laugh you little shit. I'm not too happy with you anyway."

"What did I do?"

"You gave her those fucking weeds." Kent tightened down the pulley holding the belt and checked it for wear. "She acted happier about those damn things than anything else I gave her."

Sam eased down to set in the doorway of the loft. "Hell, I didn't do it to make you look bad." Yes I did. "I did it because I know she likes that particular wildflower." It makes her happy. "What, still not sleeping with you?" She's banging me.

"You gave her weeds and I gave her roses. And don't say things like that so loudly. Anyone could hear." Kent shot a look over his shoulder at their aunt and uncle's house.

"Sorry. Can you get it going again?"

"Yeah, maybe it will last until we are done."

Kent flipped the screwdriver into the ground plugged the motor back up and flipped the on switch. Slowly the elevator came back to life. Sam eased back up and realized that sitting down might have been a mistake. Every muscle in his body screamed in protest. There was no time to loosen them back up. Kent was already shooting bales of alfalfa up to him.

The elevator broke down three more times before they got all the hay in the loft. Sam felt like he had sweated off most of his body weight by the time he climbed down out of the loft. If Kent hadn't been standing at the bottom of the ladder waiting on him he would have whimpered.

Kent watched his cousin descend and waited until he touched the ground. "We'll start baling again first thing in the morning. I'll need you to rake for me."

Sam grunted in assent. He pasted by his cousin for the cooler that held another gallon of Gatorade. Whatever he wanted to talk about could wait. All of his bodily fluids were still in the loft where he sweated them out. He needed to dehydrate before he past-out. With a twist of his wrist he had the cap off and was guzzling the fruit punch drink. His Adam's apple bobbed as he drank a fourth of the bottle before stopping.

"Still square bales or are you switching to round?" Sam wiped his mouth with the back of his wrist feeling some better.

"Square, as long as it doesn't rain."

Sam sat down on the wagon they had just unloaded and let his muscles relax. "So I take it the birthday dinner thing didn't work out for you?"

Kent crossed over to the wagon and sat down beside his cousin. "Nope, it's like she couldn't have cared less."

"Did you ever think that maybe she's just not happy?" Sam ventured and hoped he wasn't crossing a line he shouldn't.

"I know she's not happy. I just don't know why. I've tried flowers, candy, jewelry, and everything." Kent took the jug from Sam and took a long pull from it. "And speaking of jewelry, she's got this huge green rock on her hand. She claims it came from Lizy, but..."

"You don't buy it." Sam finished for him. "Why not? You know how close they are."

"It's just so expensive looking." Kent looked out towards the fields and sighed. "Sam, do you think she might be cheating on me?"

Sam pursed his lips like he was considering for a moment. "I wouldn't think so Kent. She's not the type. Besides, who do you think she would be fooling around with?"

"I don't know. Maybe someone she works with down at the park. Maybe someone she just met one day. Hell you're probably right. I'm being stupid. Cathryn wouldn't cheat on me. I know better."

"Hey don't beat yourself up." Sam laid a hand on Kent's shoulder. "You are just going through a rough patch."

Kent looked up at his cousin and best friend. "You're right. Thanks for listening. I don't know where I would be if I didn't have you to talk to about all this."

"Hey, what is family for?"

Sam patted Kent's shoulder before moving his hand away. Somewhere deep inside his gut he started to feel some guilt for being with Cathryn but it was overpowered by his love for her. The lying was getting harder but it would be worth it.

Kent shook his head and jumped off the wagon bed. "Well come on. We'll get this wagon put up and we'll all go out when Cathryn gets home if you want."

"Sure, what's the occasion?"

"She starts back at the school this week so she'll be working seven days a week until the park closes so I thought she might like to go out." Kent walked around to the truck door. "And if I say you coming she'll probably be less likely to turn me down."

Sam felt another stab of guilt cut through his gut. He pushed it back before he jumped in the truck. There wasn't any room for guilt. He loved Cathryn and nothing else mattered. He couldn't let it.

Cathryn pulled in the driveway at ten 'til five like she did every work day. Stopping at the end of the drive she hopped out to get the mail and waved absently to Miss Maybelle watering her flowers.

"Cathryn, honey, wait a minute. I've got some brownies for you and Kent." Cathryn looked up to seen Maybelle's ample girth moving towards her. "Here you go sweetie. How is that husband of yours?"

"He's fine Miss Maybelle. Thanks for the brownies." Cathryn griped the plate in hopes that she could get back to her car and to the house before the twenty questions began.

It was too late, Maybelle had the plate and Cathryn's arm in her clutches and she wasn't letting go without asking all her questions. "You know I saw the dear earlier today with that little cousin of his. He's just adorable don't you think?"

"Who is Miss Maybelle, Kent? Of course I think he's cute I married him."

"No sweetie, Sam. He's just a hot little thing." Maybelle never quite learned the art of subtlety. "It's a wonder he hasn't found a nice girl yet."

"Well you know how it is. The right one is sometimes hard to find."

Maybelle's eyes twinkled as she leaned a little closer. "Shame you're married. You two would make a cute little couple."

"I don't know about that Miss Maybelle I'm pretty happy with Kent." Cathryn looked down at her watch. "I better go. I need to fix supper for him."

"And Sam, I saw them go back the lane together not too long ago." Maybelle relinquished her hold on the plate but was far from satisfied. She leaned close to Cathryn before she released her arm and turned away. "You can't fool me girlie. I know you're having your cake and eating it too. I know about you and Sam."

The smell of Love's Baby Soft, talcum powder, and chocolate overwhelmed Cathryn's senses but she leaned close to Maybelle and whispered. "I'm sure I don't know what you are talking about. There is nothing between me and Sam. I think your Ho-Ho's have gone to your head."

Cathryn turned away and took the plate of brownies to her car to go back to her house. She couldn't believe that woman had the nerve to imply she was sleeping with Sam. It may be true but that stupid bitch thought everyone was sleeping with someone else. The last think she needed was that crazy old battle axe spreading that rumor. Some people actually listened to her.

The TV was blaring from the basement so Cathryn assumed the men were down there. Before going down she went to the kitchen and threw the brownies away and got a drink of water to calm down. No need for Kent to see her upset, he would just want to know why. But she definitely needed to talk to Sam. Alone.

She walked to the basement to see her men. Kent was cocked back in the recliner and Sam was stretched out on the sofa. Fixing a smile on her face he moved into the room to greet them. She stopped at the couch and nudged Sam's feet so he would move them for her to sit down.

"Hey guys, what are you two up to?"

"Not much." They answered in unison. Kent looked over at her and added. "We figured we could all go grab a bite to eat whenever you were ready."

"Sounds good." Cathryn said and stood up to go back upstairs to change out of her work clothes.

Automatically Sam's feet filled her vacant spot on the couch. Out of the corner of his eye he watched her walk away and wondered what was wrong with her. There was something in her eyes that said trouble loud and clear. She never could keep anything from him. Her eyes spoke volumes that never past her lips. He knew that he had to get a chance to talk to her alone that night.

In fact he figured the sooner the better. He waited five minutes before swinging his feet to the floor. "I'm going to grab a pop."

"Get me a Coke while you're up." Kent said absently. "Who knows how long it will take her."

Sam nodded and went up the stairs. He went to the kitchen first and got himself a Coke and set one for Kent out on the counter. Quietly he walked towards the staircase leading to the second floor. It was stacked on the one leading to the basement so he would have to walk very softly. Slowly he climbed the stairs and eased over to the master bedroom.

The door was slightly ajar and he could see her standing in front of her closet in the bra and panties. Softly he pushed the door open and laughed when she jumped at the noise and spun around to glare at him.

"It's only me."

Cathryn dropped her hands away from her breasts. "Sam what are you doing up here? What if Kent catches you?"

"I just came up to see what is bothering you." Sam stayed in the doorway instead of coming into the room.

"We'll talk about it later. I don't want Kent to hear me." Cathryn crossed the room and shoved him out the doorway into the hall. "And I don't want him to catch you up here. Go on back down."

"If your sure?" Sam walked away from the door. "By the way, I love you."

"I love you too, now scat."

As softly as he climbed them, Sam descended the stairs and walked back to the kitchen for Kent's pop. About that time he heard Kent clomping up the basement stairs. He lucked out on timing there. It wouldn't have done for Kent to catch him standing in him bedroom doorway.

It was stupid to have gone up there. But it bothered him that something had hurt Cathryn and he wanted to see if she was okay. Anything would be worth the risk her.

Kent rounded the corner at the kitchen and stared at his cousin. "What the hell is taking you so long?"

"I had to take a piss, you gotta problem with that." Sam tossed the can of pop at Kent and walked out of the room.