A Flash of Green

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
muirmadra
muirmadra
544 Followers

"Look El, I am very sorry but I wanted to meet you. You really gave me no choice but to rely on subterfuge. Let me show you how sorry I am and take you to dinner."

Ellen continued to glare at me but, suddenly, smiled. Fine...where and when?"

Now I was suspicious. "How about the Cheesecake Factory just down the road, say about seven?"

"Fine, see you then."

I smiled and stood up. I reached down and took her hand saying, "Terrific, until seven...I look forward to seeing you." Ellen smiled but there was a certain glint in her eye that troubled me. Jack called my room at six and asked if I wanted to have dinner and I told him I already had an engagement for the evening. I heard him laugh asking if it was the woman at the expo.

"Yeah, she's to meet me at the Cheesecake Factory at seven."

"Good luck, Jas, you're gonna need it," he laughed and hung up.

He could be right, I thought.

At six-thirty, I headed out dressed in my best. A pair of Levi's, a black t-shirt and a tan corduroy sport jacket complete with white Classic C Reeboks. Oh yeah, I was ready to dazzle.

I waited at the entrance for a good twenty-five minutes before she finally arrived, with five others in tow, one of them the geek kid. I groaned, now understanding why she accepted my dinner invitation so readily.

"Mr. Cooley," said the kid excitedly. Please allow me to introduce my staff and commenced to present each of his people, including Ellen Covey, the woman I so wanted to know.

"Nice to meet all of you," I said, tongue in cheek. "Please, call me Jas. I have a table ready for us. Let me make sure it's large enough," I said glaring at Ellen. She looked at me with those doe-like green eyes of hers and smiled.

I returned and said the table was ready.

Actually, the evening went quite well. The kid, David Baleman, had a terrific sense of humor and had the rest us in stitches. After I picked up the tab, David and his entourage thanked me for a fun evening and they took off to parts unknown.

"I want to thank you for being such a gracious host."

I turned and found Ellen standing behind me, a coy smile turning that beautiful face into that of a mischievous pixie.

"I want to apologize now. I knew you were thinking only of me when you invited me to dinner but I told everyone you had an open invitation for all of them. Jas, they were so excited to meet you and hear about your company. Thank you for understanding. You forgive me?"

I could only laugh and shake my head. "No, I don't think I will ever forgive you!"

I laughed again at the shocked look on her face before she realized I was only funning her. We spent the rest of the night together taking in the sights at Downtown Disney, a small tourist locale with shops and restaurants. We had a few drinks at the House of Blues before I hailed a cab to take her to her hotel.

"Where are you staying at?" I asked.

"At a little motel next to the Convention Center," she replied. "But, I was kind of hoping to see what the Anaheim Marriott was like."

I stared at her as she gazed back. She then leaned toward me and kissed me on the lips. "That's for being a good sport," she said softly. I'd like to show you more in your room for showing me such a wonderful evening. That is...if you want to."

"Ellen, I couldn't think of anyone I'd rather be with," I said as I helped her into the cab.

A year later, we were married, Jack Bledsoe and John Sterns, my other partner, as my best men. I even asked the kid, David Baleman, to be one of my groomsman.

We were madly in love. And, I thought we still were, six years later.

I finished a fourth tumbler of gin and tonic and gazed at the dark sky. Time to head inside, I thought. The phone must have rung a dozen times while I sat outside. I didn't have to be a genius to know who was calling. I wondered if she would have the guts to come home.

I finally went to bed around four in the morning but laid there staring at the ceiling for another hour before falling asleep.

The morning wasn't any better for my disposition. The first thing I noticed was the empty part of the bed bringing in a flood of memories of the day before. I laid there unwilling to rise. I didn't want the day to start but I had to take care of business.

The first thing I did was stop off at the bank and change the accounts. I knew I had to leave something for her in the checking account but I closed the savings and canceled the bank card. Besides the joint account, El had one of her own. She no longer worked for the fiber optics outfit but was now an executive manager with Wadell & Son Insurance Company. She would have no problem without me. Her Lexus was in both our names but I could care less. I had the Jeep Wrangler and my Harley. The house was another issue entirely. With today's economy and sinking home values, I realized if I was to sell it I would take a bath. The best thing to do was either buy her out or she buys me out.

Once at the office, I called Matthew Bront, my attorney. I explained everything to Matt but he was having trouble believing what El had tried to do.

"Come on, Jas...there must have been something that caused her to go off like that."

"Matt, I haven't a clue. As far as I knew, up to that nightmare in the kitchen yesterday, I thought we were great. And, I need to find out about this asshole with her."

"Got any idea who he is?"

"No, but I did get the license plate number of his Mercedes parked in my driveway."

"Give it to me; I'll have it checked out. For now, I'll start the paperwork. Jas, I would suggest you talk to her. You need to find out why."

"I don't know, Matt. I'm still pretty raw from the ambush. She actually believed I wouldn't do a thing. She was going to turn me into a cuckold."

Matt shook his head looking at me. "You know, you do come across as the sort, timid and easy going. Maybe too reserved, too easy going. Jas, does Ellen know about your past?"

I stared out the window of his office before I answered him. "No, I didn't want her to know about that, about my childhood, about my violent history. I tried hard to forget about all of it, about killing that man."

I heard Matt sigh and quietly say, "Jas, you know that was an accident. You had no idea he had a weak blood vessel and that it would rupture. If it hadn't happened with you, it would have been someone else. And, they wouldn't have been anywhere near as generous."

He was talking about that Marine's wife and daughter. I didn't know the man I had killed in the ring had a family until well after my discharge. The business was already in full swing when I got a call from a young woman. She said she was Karen Riley, daughter of Bob Riley, Marine sergeant and the boxer that died during my last bout. She said she wanted to meet me, that she and her mother never blamed me for her father's death. Miss Riley said she wanted to ask me a favor.

"Mr. Cooley, my mother is very ill and she can't afford, I can't afford proper medical care for her. Is there any way you could help us? I would understand if you couldn't or didn't want to."

I did help her. I hired her on the spot. Put her on a generous salary and provided both she and her mother with medical insurance. Turns out, she made one hell of an executive secretary or, as they're called now, a personal administrative assistant. Karen Riley became Jack's assistant and, later, his wife. They named their son, my godson, after me, Jason Jackson Bledsoe.

"Maybe it was an accident and, yes, it may have happened anyway but it did happen with me. I was the one whose punch killed him. So, no...I didn't want her to know."

Holding up his hands, Matt answered, "Okay...okay, I understand. I'll start working on the paperwork. Are there any instructions or any particular direction you want me to go? Is she allowed back into the house? Did you want a restraining order?"

I hadn't thought about any of those things. I looked into his eyes and said, "She can have access to the house, I don't care. I'll be gone for awhile; I need to get out of here. No restraining order...for now."

"Where you going?"

"Don't know yet. Somewhere far and isolated. Maybe somewhere in the San Juan Islands or possibly northern Idaho. I'll let you know before I leave. Anything else?"

"Nope, that should...oh wait, when do you want her served?"

"When everything is ready. Now, if there's nothing else, Matthew, I need to head into San Jose."

"Fine, we're done then. And, Jas...?"

"Yeah?"

"Take care of yourself. You look like shit!"

I laughed as he grinned and left. Now, time to head to the office.

As I walked into the lobby of CBS Tech, Jamie, our receptionist called out, "Jason, you have someone waiting for you in the conference room."

"Who is it Jamie and why couldn't Jack or John see him?"

"It isn't a he, it is a she and she asked for you personally," said Jamie her eyes twinkling. "And, she is very attractive!"

"Knock it off, Jamie...what's her name?"

"Mmmm...let's see." I waited as Jamie thumbed through her notes. "Here it is, a Lisa Hartman from Miami."

I was stunned. Lisa...Lisa Hartman here?"

"Um...thank you Jamie. I'll take care of her."

"Bet you will," she giggled but stopped when she saw me frown.

God, it must be at least seven years now, I thought. I hope everything is alright.

I hesitated before entering the conference room. I couldn't understand why I was so damn nervous about seeing her. I reached for the brass handle and pulled the large conference door open. I stepped into the room and saw her seated in the corner staring at me. Jamie underestimated Lisa, she was gorgeous.

"Mr. Cooley?"

"Lisa, my god...you've...a...grown since I last saw you." Shit, that was the dumbest thing I can remember saying to a beautiful woman...you've grown."

She laughed with her laughter as delightful as chimes in the wind. "Ah...yes, I have grown some since the last time you saw me, what six, seven years ago. I was in my twenties and now look; I'm in my thirties and a fully developed woman."

"Christ, sorry about that Lisa, I'm just in shock seeing you here. How are Angela and your brothers? Before you answer, please come with me. I think it would be more comfortable for you in my office."

I watched, almost mesmerized by her grace, as she stood and walked into the hallway as I held the door for her. When she passed me, I could sense the sweet aroma of flowers. She followed me down the hall and waited as I opened the door to my office. Again, the whiff of fresh flowers flowed after her. Amused, my long time secretary, Lakota, witnessed my attempt at chivalry and etiquette.

"It's beautiful," she said as she glanced around the room.

"Thanks, but tell my secretary, Mrs. Lakota Liamme that you appreciate her décor. It would really please her."

"Lakota, I like that. It's a strange name for a woman, American Indian isn't it."

I stepped to the bar and poured myself a gin and tonic as I replied, "Yes, she is half Sioux...I think Oglala but I'm not really sure. She's called Lakota and originally from South Dakota. She's an amazing woman and very protective."

"I noticed when I walked by her desk. She watched me like a hawk."

"Yeah, that's Lakota...would you like a drink or something?"

"Ice tea if you have it," she replied.

"Will green tea do?"

"Perfect," she replied and sat on the sofa.

"Mr. Cooley..."

"Please Lisa, Jas...just Jas."

She smiled and said, "Jas, you're probably wondering why I'm here."

"The thought did cross my mind. Is your mother doing well?"

It was then I saw the concern in her eyes. "Lisa, what's wrong?"

"Jas, it's my mother...she's dying and she asked for you."

"My god, Lisa, why didn't you call me? I would have flown back to Miami in a heartbeat. You didn't have to come all the way out here!"

"I know but mother insisted I come out here. She wanted me to see how you were doing and, I think, to get me from under foot."

"What's wrong with Angela? Lisa closed her eyes before she said those terrible words, "Pancreatic cancer."

With those two words, I knew there was no hope. I've known too many friends and acquaintances that succumbed to that dreadful disease.

"God, Lisa, I am so sorry. What can I do? Does she need any financial assistance?"

Lisa smiled and said, "No, she's under my coverage at the hospital. She's getting all the best care available. And, she still receives your monthly checks. You have no idea how much that has helped her, helped us. By the way, both the boys have graduated with honors, Bobby from MIT and Dean graduated from Georgia Tech, thanks to you."

I berated myself mentally for not visiting them over the years. "I'm so sorry I never came to see her, you and the boys."

"Don't start that Jason Cooley! Mother said you would say that. My god, you started a company and became successful. You got married. Jas, your plate has been full. What you've done for us was above and beyond what anyone would have. We can never thank you enough for all the help and support you've given us. Anyway, Mother would like you to visit her. Can you?"

"I'll have the corporate jet made ready tomorrow. Do you have a place to stay, any plans for tonight?"

"I haven't had time to find a place."

"Great, it's settled then. You can stay at my apartment nearby. Oh shit, damn...I'm afraid you'll be sharing it with me."

"What about your wife, wouldn't she be upset?"

I looked away before I answered. "I'm not living at home. My wife and I separated and may end in divorce."

"I'm sorry to hear that, Jas. I hope I'm not an additional problem for you."

"Of course not...it's like a breath of fresh air having you here. You hungry?"

"I could eat."

"Great, I know this little place...has the best pizza and Italian this side of the Rockies."

Lisa smiled and said, "Can we stop off at your apartment? I need to drop off my bags and freshen up a bit."

"No problem, you ready?"

Lisa nodded and we left the office. I advised Lakota I would be unavailable for the week but she could reach me on my cell.

"What about Ellen?"

"If she calls just tell her to speak to Bront. He knows what to do."

"Will do, Jas. I'm sorry about you and El. I hope you can work it out."

"Thank you, Lakota but don't hold your breath on this one."

I escorted Lisa to the rear of the building, to our parking garage where my Ford F-150 Super Crew was parked. On the way, we had stopped at the lobby where security had stored her suitcase. Throwing the bag in the empty bed, I opened the passenger door and watched as she slid up onto the seat.

Getting in, I started the engine as she buckled herself in and said, "I didn't expect you to be driving a pick-up truck. I thought you would be in something a little more...expensive."

As I buckled up, I grinned and said, "No, not my style. But, if that's what you would like I can arrange..."

Lisa blushed a deep red and quickly replied, "Oh god no, I was just thinking out loud. No, the truck is fine with me."

"Me too, let's go."

The next day after an evening of reminiscing and my troubled attempts at sleep, we were already racing over Phoenix, Arizona heading to Miami in the company aircraft, a Gulfstream G350. Lisa's eyes were huge, her mouth open as she sat in the co-pilot's seat.

"Jas, I didn't know you could fly!"

"Lisa, there's a lot you don't know about me and...a lot you know more than most." I studied the instruments noting our cruising altitude set at thirty-five thousand and our speed at 350 KTAS, or knots true air speed.

"So, what happened between you and Ellen...if you don't mind talking about it."

"Not any more. Somehow, she got the idea I was willing to be her cuckold."

"Cuckold?"

"A husband that sits by willingly while his wife screws other men," I growled.

"My god, why would she think that?

"That's the million dollar question, Lisa. I haven't got a clue. I know we've drawn apart lately. Hell, I can't remember the last time she and I made love. I guess I was so involved with work, I just never noticed and she never complained."

I paused for a moment, trying to think back, trying to remember if there was anything Ellen did or said that would have given me an inkling of something wrong but there was nothing. To me, it seemed as if Ellen suddenly decided I was no longer important to her and end our marriage.

"Tell me about you and the family," I said glancing at Lisa as she stared out the window.

Turning, she said, "There's not much to say. After we lost Dad, Mom had a hard time trying to make ends meet. Oh...Mom received Dad's pension but it wasn't much. I decided to become a nurse and went to school. The boys helped out with part-time jobs as long as it didn't interfere with their academics in high school."

Lisa suddenly turned away as she continued to say, "Jason, you were a godsend. I didn't even know about you other than Mom telling me about how Dad got you into the Marines. When you unexpectedly showed up at the house, Mom was beside herself. She knew all about your past and what Dad did for you. He would always tell her about everything you did while in the Marines."

She stopped talking for a few seconds before she continued. "He was proud of your achievements, Jas. Mom showed me all the clippings about your boxing and business articles about CBS Tech Research. Mom said Dad was going to fly out to see you and ask if you would come out and visit the family. He wanted to introduce you to Mom, me and the boys. But..."

Lisa closed her eyes and quietly said, "It was the following week when he was shot and killed."

We both were silent for a spell, only the steady thrum of the turbines was heard, before I had to ask, "I noticed you're not wearing a wedding ring."

She smiled. "Yeah...well, I never really had the time I guess. You know, busy with nursing school and working at the hospital. Helping Mom and the boys and...other things."

Her voice trailed off as she said other things. I wondered what those 'other things' were.

In a matter of hours, I was taxing to a vacant ramp in Miami International. Soon, we had our entire luggage loaded into the waiting limo and left for her home. Miami hadn't changed much, maybe a few more apartment skylines obliterating the beaches but, overall, it was the same. Including the heat and humidity. I remember her mother living on the southern outskirts of the bustling city and, in no time at all, we were pulling up to the house.

It was a modest single story ranch style home with a picket white fence bordering the front yard. I was surprised by the clean and well maintained condition of the house. No signs of weathering, something hard to keep up in Florida, and a pleasing landscape. Even the roof was in excellent shape.

I looked at Lisa and was about to ask when she said, "Your monthly contributions were more than enough to take care of everything." I could only nod.

Lisa went inside while I took care of the luggage and the limo. I paid our driver, Alonzo, for the ride and asked him to remain on call. When he said he may have other customers, I assured him he would be well taken care of.

Before entering, I stood on the front porch, a covered screened in wrap-around that ran from one end to the other and enclosed with mosquito netting. Damn, it brought back memories of a time long forgotten.

"Jas...she wants to see you." Lisa stood at the front door waiving for me to come inside.

I thought, once inside, the house would be dark and depressive but it was just the opposite. Tastefully decorated, it had a feeling of warmth and openness with brightness only the sun can provide. Being in Miami, of course the house was equipped with a decent central air conditioner that kept the home at a comfortable temperature.

"Jason Michael Cooley, my god it's about time!" Despite the many years, I still remembered that beautiful voice.

muirmadra
muirmadra
544 Followers