A Guy Who Wanted Too Much

Story Info
Hayden's vision for a dark-eyed beauty crumbles.
9.1k words
4.29
19k
3
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

CHAPTER 1

The bar in the conference hotel was almost empty when Hayden Jeffs, who'd been talking to the almond-eyed beauty behind the bar for the three nights in a row, said, "Why don't you allow me to take you away from this artificial world darling?"

"I've told you not to call me darling."

"Sorry darling."

"You should be in bed sleeping off your big final business session, a big meal and too much liquor."

"Darby please answer my question."

Placing glasses into the dishwasher the svelte-figured young woman turned and, pushing back her honey blonde hair, asked, "What was the question and it better not be a request to sleep with you?"

"Oh no, not that. My question was why don't you allow me to take your away from this artificial world?"

Darby paused and tugged an ear lobe thoughtfully.

"Very well. I'll hand my notice in tonight and you may pick me up in the foyer at 10:00 in the morning."

"Really?"

"I took the offer to be genuine Mr Jeffs."

"And so it was Darby. In the foyer at 10:00 and don't you dare change your mind. Everything will be better for you from now on."

"So you say."

Hayden yawned and said, "Darby, repeat what I just said."

"Everything will be better for me from now on."

"And again."

"Everything will be better for me from now on."

"Good, those words will come back to you when you enter your room tonight and think what the fuck and I letting myself into."

"Do you guarantee my safety and dignity and well-being?"

"Absolutely."

"Repeat what I just said."

"I guarantee your safety and dignity and well-being."

"Then go to your suite and sleep well Hayden Jeffs and remember what you just said."

Hayden entered the foyer at 9:55 to find Darby already waiting, dressed in brown boots, white jeans and a loose turquoise top. He only had to look in the direction guys were looking to find her.

He picked up Darby's left hand and kissed it. "You look very beautiful this morning."

Darby looked confused and said, "You kissed my left hand."

"You are holding your handbag in your right hand."

She giggled and dazzled him with her dark-eyed smile.

Hayden asked had she received all money due to her.

"No, $450 less. I was told that was in lieu of giving the minimum seven days' notice of intention to quit."

"Excuse me for a couple of minutes Darby."

Hayden dropped his two bags and went to the office marked 'Day Manager'. He emerged less than ten minutes later and handed Darby a hotel check made out to her for $450.

She looked at Hayden open-mouthed.

"It was easy. I said to the manager rather than argue about the short payment all I would say was our family company had paid $35,000 towards sponsorship of this annual convention. If the check for $450 was not made out to Darby Bliss right now my family company would not make sponsorship money available next year unless the convention venue was changed from this location."

"But that's almost extortion."

"It's simply hard-ass language businessmen understand Darby."

They walked to the two last cars in the line and Hayden stopped but Darby walked on to the gray Ford until Hayden called out, "This one Darby."

She deviated without a word until they were moving off. "This is a very expensive model Mercedes."

"The family pays me the salary and provides the car it thinks I'm worth. We manufacture an up market range of garden tools and accessories – the Mercedes range if you like. People who buy art and expensive cars buy our products because it's a pride of ownership thing. It was my idea when my father took over from his father so he made me chief executive when product sales soared."

"I don't own a single garden tool."

"But there's time for that Darby. I bet you don't own an Andy Warhol painting or any painting just now, but give it time. How old are you, nineteen?"

"Twenty. How old are you?"

"I turned thirty last month. So you missed a great party."

"Are you out to have sex with me?"

"That's not my highest priority which is to have you as my companion. I need a beautiful, uncomplicated woman at my side when I attend functions and to do things with me at weekends."

Darby's forehead creased. "By why me?"

"Because I became enchanted watching the way you move. Do you ski?"

"Yes."

"Ice skate?"

"Yes."

"Play tennis?"

"Yes."

"And go to the gym regularly?"

"Yes, but how is it you know so much about me?"

"I don't apart from what you say when answering my questions. If you must know I just knew you were the right person for a companion."

"And you are saying a companion who is not required to sleep with you?"

"I am, guaranteed. That is a rule and to sleep with me only you can change the rule."

"I can't believe this."

"I know. It must be difficult because you see it's based on a whim, not an advertising job vacancy or a relationship that anyone would call conventional."

"You can say that again. But please don't say it again. I think I understand the concept. Do I get paid?"

"Yes and quite handsomely, eventually at executive level. You see I don't have a personal assistant – I just use office staff. But I would hope you pick up the skills."

"What go to commercial college?"

"With me all you need is to be adept with a voice recorder, master giving instructions to the office manager about what you want processed from that recorder and how, to learn about our business, to work along side our public affairs manager to understand business politics and how to deal with awkward positions and how to run my office when I'm not there."

"Do I get a clothing and make-up allowance if I'm required to accompany you to business functions?"

"Oh I hadn't thought about that. I'll discuss that with mom."

Darby shook her head. "You know I think you've not thought about my induction or anything much beyond that."

Hayden lifted his hand to scrub his jaw and flashing Darby a guilty smile said, "You know you're quite right. I only made a split decision late last night when bemoaning the fact it was my final night at the hotel and I didn't want to lose you."

"But you didn't have me?"

"I know, but for three nights I was looking at you, talking to you, watching you interrelate with other bar staff and to clients. You moved well, you looked great and appeared to be super efficient."

"You're not Jack the Ripper are you?"

Hayden grinned and waited until he could pull off the highway. "Get behind the wheel Darby."

The motor was running.

"No."

"Why not?"

"This coupe will cost a hundred thousand."

"No, only eighty thousand with extras. I trust you with it and it's fully insured."

Darby stepped out and Hayden hurried to join her. She said, "This is something I don't want to do."

"Working alongside me and for me Darby there will be things you don't want to do but know you must act responsibly and do them."

She walked off and settled in behind the wheel. "This really is a lovely vehicle."

Hayden said indeed and instructed her how to change the seat positions to suit.

He then closed the passenger door.

"Get in." she said, finding the passenger window control to wind it down to instruct him.

"No Darby. This is your chance. If you don't trust me... if you think I'm Jack the Ripper, drive off and abandoned the car somewhere."

Darby came close to panicking. "No... no you can't do this to me. I trust you."

Grinning Darby climbed in and began her driving lesson.

"Dad has a top-of-line Volvo but I like this much better."

"What does your dad do?"

"His business manufactures and imports and distributes horticultural chemicals, Azure brand."

"I know the brand, we stock a range. Well fancy that. All right, off we go. We have another four hours to go."

"Where will I live?"

"With my parents and younger sister until you decide to live with me, if you ever decide on that. I occupy the small house built as a guest house but was rarely used."

"How old is your sister."

"Dana is nineteen and is not coping emotionally very well."

"Ah."

"You are a very bright young woman, but then I'd picked that. All you need to do is to befriend her and do the right thing. Hopefully in time she will confide in you – something mom has failed at – but when you meet mom you'll know what that problem is. This is all my idea. I'm hoping slowly, probably ever so slowly, Dana will accept you as a role model. Can you ride a horse and a farm bike?"

"Yes, my parents have a ranch where I'd lived most of my life."

"It could be useful to keep that to yourself and allow Dana to teach you."

"God, you are a monster. You are so cunning."

"Well don't deceive her. It's not a problem."

"Actually it's very intelligent thinking... what a quick way to bond with a person. I'll think about it or was it a presidential command?"

"No you don't work for me outside the business spectrum. You are free to spurn Dana and it won't matter. I suggest you wait till you meet her but don't expect to meet a lovely young lady. She's a complete bitch. A fucking spoilt brat."

"Okay I get the picture and accept the foul language is because of your frustration with her."

"She tossed college after the first year."

"Well who doesn't? I did at the end of year two."

Hayden smiled but didn't ask what happened. Instead he asked, "Are you prepared to lie for me?"

"Yes."

"I want you to say you were hitching a ride and I picked you up. You stick to that story and make no mention that you are to become my personal assistant."

"Okay."

"You mean you won't mind lying to my mom?"

"From what you've told me she sounds to be the bitch."

Hayden looked thoughtfully at the road ahead. As to be expected, glamour babe was also a very competent driver.

* * *

Hayden, by then back behind the wheel, drove up to a big house on a lovely small ranch on the outskirts of the city. The buxom and square-jawed Mrs Jeffs held out her arms and said, "Welcome to our home Miss Bliss."

Darby accepted the kiss.

"Oh my goodness, you are so beautiful with such olive skin. Are you American?"

"Yes, born just outside Chicago where my parents still live. My father was baby when his Irish family arrived in this country. He married a new immigrant from Toulon, in Southern France. Please call me Darby."

"How did you meet my son?"

"My parents were upset that I abandoned my college plans after a year and were on my back so I decided to move off and have been working in resorts as one way of seeing the country. I was hitching a ride and Hayden was good enough to stop for me and said you might be prepared to offer me a bed for the night."

"Of course Darby and I insist you stay at least three nights."

"That is very hospitable of you Mrs Jeffs. Ohmigod, is that girl going to jump that fence?"

"Where? Oh yes," Mrs Jess said, looking at where Darby was pointing. "That is my tom boy daughter. So you ride?"

"Yes but I wouldn't take risks like that. That is uneven ground and the fence is barbed wire."

"You can tell that at this distance?"

"We drove up past the stables Mrs Jeffs."

"You are very observant dear. Why don't you go down and chat to Dana? You appear to know about horses. Tell her you are our houseguest and please be aware Dana swears."

"See you soon Hayden," Darby said, loping off.

"What an beautiful girl with an amazing figure. I've told you not to pick up hitchhikers."

"And then you wouldn't have met her mom. It appears her father owns Azure chemicals."

"Ohmigod."

"What?"

"I met them in Denver two years ago at a convention. Her father – I forget his name – was a principal speaker but her mom, Nadia, and I sat together on a bus tour and opposite at the gala dinner. Oh she is just so beautiful and slim and oh boy could she handle me. It wasn't long before I throttled back and we got alone so well. Nadia could charm the legs off a table."

"What?"

"She had immense charm dear. You have done so well bringing Darby to us."

* * *

"Hi Dana. Hayden gave me a ride and brought me home as a houseguest. I'm Darby."

"You're what?"

"My mother is French and in French my name means deer park. I'm sorry I have a name that is unacceptable to you."

"Are you for real?"

"Do you have another brush?'

"Yes but I want Calais brushed the right way."

"You gave your horse a French name?"

"She was named and broken in when I got her."

"Oh she'd love being called Calais."

Dana, in a scruffy top, scruffy jeans and wild blonde hair, looked at the intruder sharply. "What makes you think horses can understand?"

"I'm without proof but look into their dark eyes and you know. And there are other things in their behavior. I saw you jump that fence. Calais would have known it was risky but she did it for you."

"Jesus Christ! Here use this brush; I'll grab another one."

When Dana returned she asked, "What's the name of your horse?"

"It was Tess."

"Was; is she dead?"

"No my father was so mad when I dropped out of college he sold her, knowing that was the only real way of getting through to me with his displeasure."

"Oh shit, you too."

"What?"

"You are a college drop-out."

"Well isn't almost everyone?"

Dana laughed and then looked sad. "Is Tess in a good home?"

"I don't know," Darby sniffed, genuinely distraught. Tears began to roll. "My father sold her to a dealer with instructions she was not to be sold locally to avoid me tracing her. I had her five years."

Dana dropped her brush and ran to cuddle Darby and began crying.

"We are too old to cry," Darby said, dabbing at her eyes, and then Dana said something amazing, "I never cry. Oh fuck, I've been crying. Who are you Darby?"

"No one in particularly. We are just two babes who've gone through our teens loving horses."

"I don't know what's happening here Darby but I promise you, I won't needlessly put Calais in danger again."

Darby ran her fingers through Dana's hair and said, "We must do something about this old mop. I think Calais would appreciate it your looking good when you're riding her."

"You're kidding?"

Darby finished brushing and handed over the brush.

"Aren't you?"

"I have no idea Dana but have you noticed how immaculately dressed event riders are and how their horses practically prance?"

"Well yes."

"Well look scruffy or not Calais will still love you for being kind and a companion to her."

"Are you sure? You appear to know a lot about horses."

"I've been in a horsy fraternity since I was four years old Dana. My mother was a champion rider and expected I would follow. But not to be. She pushed me too hard."

"My mother pushes me."

"I can tell you how to deal with that Dana, but not now. Do you think your brother will go to bed with me?"

A huge change came over Dana. "What the fuck do you want from my brother? He's ten years older than you. He should have married Rebecca or Valerie – both of them loved him. You're just a fucking slut. Get away from me."

Darby squared up and said, "Hit me you foul-mouthed misfit and then take the consequences."

Dana turned and ran.

Darby, have sensed victory earlier, trudged back to the house feeling her failure.

She entered the rear of the house and turned into the kitchen. "Oh hi Darby," said Mrs Jeffs. "Coming home with a bloodied nose after my daughter ripped loose?"

"Not quite, we were relating pretty well until right at the end when she lost it when I expressed praise for your son. She then ranted, burbling on about Rebecca and Valerie but without explanation."

"Oh those two. Of all Hayden's girlfriends only those two managed to establish some sort of connection with our wild daughter. Both were pressing for marriage but Hayden said no. First Valerie withdrew and then five months later Rebecca stopped coming. Dana refused to talk to Hayden on both occasions for some weeks."

"Jealousy?"

"I don't believe so Darby. Dana is compulsive about things going her way. We brought out a psychologist to talk to her but Dana verbally hammered the poor woman who went away in tears."

"Loco?"

"It's a hard thing to face up to Darby but she had a grandmother who behaved similarly. Oh, this is my husband Charlton."

A tall guy who'd been sitting on the sofa reading a newspaper stood and came over.

"Hi Darby. Call me Charlton and Liz Liz or Elizabeth. Liz has been telling me about you. We met your parents in Denver at a convention two years ago. Liz and your mom seemed to get on fine together. I remember your mom as one of the most beautiful women I've seen in the flesh."

"I must pass on that compliment to her when I'm reunited with my family again."

"What you mean you're a runaway at your age?"

Dana entered and placed an arm around Darby. "No because she was a college drop out her fucking father sold her horse Tess to punish her."

"Don't give Darby's father that label Dana. Apologize or I'll thump you."

"No Liz, it's okay," Darby hastened to say. "I was mortified and should had called him names like that and bashed him with my baseball bat. But I was so upset I went to my room, packed and slipped away during the night like a coward."

"At least you took counter action," Dana said.

Charlton agreed. "Yeah, he would have been cut up about that. Serves him right.

"Why are you guys ganging up on me?" Liz sniffed.

"As far as I'm concerned Mrs Jeffs, you lay a finger on Dana in my presence I'll take to you. I'm gym trained and won't be easy to put down."

"That's bullshit."

"Okay Mrs Jeffs. Hit Dana and see where that gets you."

Liz heard the sound of an approaching vehicle. "Here comes Hayden, he's been to the office to catch up. None of you say a word about this because there's no use him getting upset. And you Darby return to calling me Liz."

"Very well Liz. But I'd like you to remember slamming physically into Dana won't help her one iota. You'd assist her more by finding her a decent guy to take her out."

"Guys don't go out with me; I bash them."

"Find her a bigger guy who can teach her manners Liz. Remember Dana big guys often have kind hearts and like horses."

"Ritchie Stafford," Liz breathed.

"He wouldn't be interested in me."

"I know Arleen his mother," Liz said. "Leave it to me."

Dana took Darby's hand and squeezed it as Hayden entered and asked what was up.

"Get us drinks please darling," said his mom. "Dinner is thirty minutes away.

At 10:00 when Liz was turning out the lights and heading for bed she heard talking in the guest room and walked in ready to berate her son for sneaking behind her back. She stopped in amazement. Dana lay with one of Darby's around her and was listening to Darby describe going on vacation to Paris with her mother and learning the painful lesson of just how bad her French was when she had been under the impression she could speak real French.

"Oh hi mom. Darby's mom Nadia was twice runner-up in two national junior equestrian championships in France when she was fourteen. She went on to gain a doctorate in chemical engineering which is when she met the dashing Irishman, son of a horse breeder..."

"By the name of Damon Bliss who is now a shadow of his former self because of the pressures of competition in business. Yes I know, Nadia told me during a bus tour we were on in Denver two years ago."

"Mom we must invite them here."

"No not until you learn to behave young lady."

"Aw mom."

There were sparks in the air awaiting ignition and so Darby took the initiative. "Liz, may Dana sleep with me tonight?"

"No I don't think so."

"As a special treat and you acknowledging I'm having some beneficial influence on her?"

It could have been because Dana didn't scowl or didn't plead. The girls looked so much like sisters.

"Very well, just for tonight."

Dana bounded out of bed and kissed her mom.