A Hunter's World Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He was gone.

She released a ragged breath, unsure whether she should feel elation -- from his departure -- or dread -- about his promised return. Aless carelessly fixed and arranged the mangled sheets; so, they just barely managed to cover her chilled body. It wasn't great, but it would do. Either way, it didn't matter, because she was so absolutely exhausted, that she was asleep four seconds before her head hit the pillow-less mattress.

True to his word, the voice woke her up and taunted her every hour. He would rouse her from her dreamless sleep, and keep her awake while he described all the depraved lustful acts he had planned for their first meeting. This was truly a slow form of torture. Torture through sleep deprivation and irritation. Great.

Aless just wanted to scream and cry, from frustration and exhaustion, but she would never let him have the satisfaction of seeing her weakness.

In total, Aless got three and a half hours sleep that night. She was still, if not more, exhausted and no better off for having spent the money on a room for the night. Life just kept them coming. Sometimes she wished she could just 'retire' and file herself away with all the other mindless and oblivious souls of 'normal' society.

Aless, resigning herself to wakefulness, roused for the day. She huffed out a defeated breath, as she shambled into the bathroom to collect her clothes. Today was going to be a long day. She had just finished putting on her damp pants and was pulling her shirt on over her head , when she felt the familiar rushing and tingling sensation over her flesh. He was back, again.

"You look tired my little one." the voice mused, sounding pleased.

"No shit Sherlock! I wonder why?!" she responded bitterly.

"Now, now. It's not my fault you're a restless sleeper." he taunted.

Aless grimaced but didn't bother responding. She had learned that there was very little, to nothing, she could say or do to get him to go away; and, giving in to his taunting just goaded him on. She was too tired to utter any actual or real threats, so she didn't try. Instead, she sat on the edge of bed attempting -- since her fingers were no longer working in conjunction with her brain - to lace her boots.

"Well," he dramatically huffed, "if you are not going to talk to me I guess I'll leave. I really do need some well deserved rest, anyways. You've tired me out. But, don't worry Alessandra, I'll be back later. I won't forget about you."

Lucky me, she thought sardonically.

She listened to his amused chuckles fade as she felt his withdrawal, again.

Aless sat on the bed resting her elbows on her knees and her head in her hands. She slumped in defeat and misery. She didn't know what to do. She didn't want to ask for help but she knew, in her present state, that she couldn't do this alone. Even though she hated to admit it, she knew she needed help; because, if he kept this up, soon she wouldn't even be a threat to a kitten let alone a powerful demon -- not that she went around threatening kittens.

Aless, drawing on her final reserves of energy, stood up and grabbed her jacket off the chair before walking out of the room. She slowly lumbered down the stairs and made her way to the motel's office, where she returned the keys and collected her deposit, minus the cost of the pillow. Leaving the small office, Aless wandered away from the motel, in the opposite direction of the bottom feeder filled alleys.

Her stomach rumbled and cramped; which, was her body's way of reminding her that it needed food at least every so often. Aless groaned in pain. She needed grease and caffeine, in no particular order, soon. She walked a few more blocks, before she found a small diner. She began salivating, at just the thought of having food in her belly.

Aless slid into the booth and rested her head back on the soft cushioning. She felt weak, which made her irrationally angry. She was a Hunter. A Hunter was never weak, and never let themselves become vulnerable.

Within a couple minutes, after having sat down, Aless' waiter -- Andrew -- arrived, giving her a menu, a cup of coffee and a run down on the day's specials. He took off to another table, but not before promising to return in a couple minutes. By the time he made it back, she had decided what she wanted to order and had become even more ravenous. Aless ordered two eggs, two sausages and toast, with her coffee. Five dollars was her max, since she had had to pay for the damn pillow. Damn budget.

When Andrew left, Aless resumed her earlier trains of thought. She needed help and she knew it. But, who to turn to? She couldn't ask the Hunters; because, well, they were just a bunch of assholes and she didn't trust them. So, all she had left was a name; and, she didn't even know if the infamous Mr. Reichmann could help her but she had no other choice, and nothing left to lose.

When the waiter brought her food, Aless asked if they had a phone book and payphones. He nodded and pointed her towards the back exit sign. She quickly scarfed down her meal, and chugged her cup of coffee. It hit her stomach like a load of bricks. She groaned as her stomach spasmed and complained in response to the heavy food. She fished her cash out of her pocket and placed it on the table. It wasn't much of a tip, but since she had no money left to give, he would have to be satisfied.

Aless slid out of the booth and walked toward the payphones. She didn't know if this guy -- Taggart Reichmann - would even be in the damn phone book, but she had very few options at this point. She couldn't ask her father, because he was dead. She couldn't ask her mother, because she was dead. So, phone book it was.

Fortunately, he was easy to find in the old tattered phone book. He was the only Reichmann there, and his first name, Taggart, was there too. Since the name Taggart was not a common first name here, let alone Reichmann, as a last, Aless felt pretty confident that this was her man. She dropped in her last quarter and dialed the number from the book. It rang twice before someone answered.

"Hello?" a curt male voice answered.

"Hi. Uh, is Taggart there?" Aless asked hesitantly.

"Mr. Reichmann," the voice corrected, "is on a call, if you wouldn't mind holding a moment. May I ask who is speaking?" he politely demanded an answer.

"Alessandra Hunter" she replied, sheltering her mouth and mouth piece as she said it, afraid it would somehow summon her tormentor.

"Just a moment," came his tart reply, before placing her on hold.

She waited no more than a minute before she heard a clicking noise, and a new voice came on the line.

"Alessandra, I have been expecting you." A smooth male voice stated.

Aless felt a tingle of awareness and apprehension run up and down her spine, at the sound of his voice.

"Mr. Reichmann, I --

"Call me Taggart, please."

"Okay. Taggart." she corrected awkwardly, "I... my... that is, my father told me to contact you, if I was ever in trouble or needed help. I hope you don't mind." She hurriedly explained, "but, I just need somewhere to sleep for a few hours, and was wondering if you-"

He interrupted her, "Of course, you don't even need to ask. I am not too far, about ten blocks away on Durand. House number 114. There is a gate, but they will be expecting you." he informed her.

As Aless was expressing her thanks and saying goodbye, Taggart suddenly, again, interjected.

"Wait, Alessandra?" he asked into the phone.

"Yes?" She responded hesitantly.

"Do you have a car? How are you getting here?"

"No, no car. I prefer walking. It keeps me in shape; and, it's better for the environment." she explained, trying to sound as convincing as possible.

Of course she wanted a car. Her feet, legs and back ached from the constant walking; but, if she had any money she would be using it to find her fathers killer, and maybe spend a little on a nice hotel room with a big soft luxurious bed. Revenge, safety, privacy and comfort, those were what she wanted most. Instead, she was going to be walking, in her exhausted state, for another ten blocks through the cold damp mist. But, it was worth it, if this man could help her.

What she would find once she arrived was a mystery to her, but so long as there was a bed she didn't give a damn. She had been awake for thirty hours, not counting the disjointed three and a half hours she had barely managed to get last night. It was not the longest she had ever gone without sleep, however it was the longest she had ever been awake without the assistance of adrenaline. She hadn't had an adrenaline fuel since the last time she had killed a demon, which was eight weeks ago; so, she was dead on her feet. Hearing her name, she shook her head and focused on the present.

"Pardon me?" she sputtered, embarrassed for having let her mind wander off in mid conversation.

"A car. I am sending a car for you. Just wait where you are. My chauffeur will come get you. I look forward to your arrival, and I'll see you soon Alessandra." He said into her ear, right before disconnecting the call. She hadn't had time to decline the offer for a ride, nor had she really wanted to.

She walked back to her empty booth, and sat down in the seat; and, rested her elbows on the table top, dropping her head into her hands. She hated waiting. So, she stared blankly down at the table's scuffed scarlet surface, and lost herself in thought. Who was this Taggart, why was he the only man her father trusted with his family, and how did he known where she was?

She sighed contemplating some of the possibilities. If he was a friend of her father's, he would have to be older, maybe military or police. He couldn't be a hunter, because not many hunters made it to old age. He could have been an old contact within the police; which, would mean he either had call display or some kind of locating device on his phone, which would explain how he had known her location.

She continued on that thought pattern, trying to decide what he would look like. Aless giggled at a few of the possible images she had concocted in her mind; but, quickly reprimanded herself for acting like a silly child. It must have been the lack of sleep. She sat, waiting, fighting the waves of fatigue.

Suddenly, she felt a warm hand on her shoulder. Shocked and angered by the unwanted physical contact, she quickly spun grabbing the hand firmly, and twisting it harshly. The tall man, whose hand she was contorting, wore a shocked and horrified expression. He did not look or feel, evil or malicious.

"What do you want?" she firmly asked the man, as she lessened the twist of his wrist, relieving his pain fractionally.

"I'm, I'm...your ride. Mr. Reichmann sent me." He managed to sputter out.

Horrified, Aless dropped his hand.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't know. Oh my god, I'm so sorry. Are you okay? I hope I didn't hurt you. I'm so sorry."

She buried her face in her hands, hiding the moisture collecting in her eyes. She never cried. Ever. But, her shame and embarrassment over her careless and cruel actions pushed her to the verge of tears. It was the tiredness. She needed sleep, badly.

The chauffeur massaged his wrist and eyed her wearily. Aless composed herself slightly, and removed her hands from her face, still avoiding his gaze.

"I'm very sorry. Please forgive me. I'm not myself right now. I think I should just go. Sorry for wasting your time!" she shamefully said; and, with that last apology she quickly fled the diner.

She had made it no more than two blocks, when a large black Audi pulled up in front of her, cutting her off from crossing the street. It rolled down the window, and she immediately recognized the driver. Damn, damn, damn. Couldn't people just let her be? Everyone would be better off, and safer, if they did.

"I'm sorry miss if you thought I was mad at you. I understand that I should not have touched you without your permission." The driver explained. "Mr. Reichmann would be upset with me if he knew I let you walk in the rain. Please get in. All is forgiven." With that he gave her a smile and got out of the car.

He opened the rear door for her and indicated for her to get in. Looking up at the sky, looking at the dark thick clouds building, Aless decided getting in the car was her only option, unless she wanted to get stuck in the monstrous downpour that would be arriving at any moment.

She slipped into the back seat and immediately noticed and appreciated the warmth emitting from the plush leather seats. Heated seats, nice. So, Reichmann was well off too. She cuddled up in the warm soft seats, appreciating the privacy glass between she and the driver. Aless quietly sat watching the rain drops streak across the window, as they drove to Mr. Reichmann's home.

Aless fell asleep, leaning against the window, two minutes into the ride. She was so deeply and fastly asleep that she did not even wake up for the man handling, as she was picked up and carried, from the car into a bed. Not good. Had she been in the wrong hands, she would have been dead. Fortunately for her, she was now under the protection of Taggart Reichmann.

He grimaced as he looked down at the crumpled, exhausted and gaunt girl. She had dark black smudges under eyes, her hair was unkempt, and her jeans and T-shirt were thread bare with wear. He noticed the knife tucked at her waist, and removed it, placing it in his pocket. He sighed inwardly. How long had he been waiting for her to come find him? It had been years, decades, and centuries, ever since he had heard the foretelling of her birth.

He pulled her in close to his warmth and possessively carried her through the house, up the stairs into the large master bedroom. He placed her on one side of his monstrous bed and pulled the sheets back on the other side, before peeling the clothes off her body and rolling her to the other side of the bed. He gently covered her naked sleeping form, grimacing.

The temptation had been strong. All he wanted to do was burrow his face in her neck, and caress her delicate form. He imagined sucking her taught nipple into his mouth, before slipping his finger down into her warmth. Taggart sucked in a strangled breath and pushed himself away from the bed. What this girl needed right now was rest, food and a shower; all of which he would make sure she received. With one last look of longing back at the beautiful and tragic woman in his bed, Taggart left the room closing the door behind him.

12