A Joke Ch. 02

Story Info
An ending to the story.
2.2k words
3.9
214k
109

Part 2 of the 2 part series

Updated 10/29/2022
Created 10/08/2007
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Agena
Agena
1,230 Followers

The Conclusion

I really didn't want to write an ending to this story. I was hoping someone else would volunteer to do it, but I've received so many requests, pleas and demands to finish it that I will attempt an ending and hopefully get closure on this story. Many writers provided their own suggestions for an ending and some were quite original in their thinking and maybe my ending will include some part of their input. However it turns out, I know some will be unhappy and others content that right or love has prevailed. So here goes:

I had heard from Alice, the wife of the man who may have cuckolded me, my wife's sister and my daughter regarding how to resolve the issue with my wife, Flo. I knew if I went to our pastor he would expect me to forgive her. I finally decided I would wait for the results of the lie detector tests before making a decision. I figure I couldn't trust the testing of one of the jokesters to verify their story but I didn't think there was any way for both to fool the machine.

A couple of days after Flo's sister, Mary, visited me I received a phone call from her telling me that Flo had agreed to my conditions for a lie detector test and she'd gotten Roger to go along with it too. Roger had agreed to pay for his own test to show his remorse for his part in the joke. Mary also provided me with the name and phone number of the test administrator.

My anger at Flo for participating in the joke had cooled somewhat, but I felt so depressed that if she loved me and didn't have sex with Roger, how could she have participated in such a demeaning joke on me. I was slowly coming to the conclusion that maybe her love for me was gone despite her protestations about wanting to get back together with me. It may come down to a simple decision whether I wanted a loveless marriage if the tests proved there was no sex..

Flo had tried to call me a few times but I just hung up when I heard her voice and she soon got the message. After that, all her communication with me was through her sister and I received daily calls from her. Mostly about how sorry Flo was and wanted to come home but I kept telling them I wouldn't make a decision until after the lie detector tests.

About this time our son, Eric, began calling me to beg me to forgive his mother and allow her to come home. I tried to explain what had happened and why I was having such a hard time with his mother's actions but he couldn't relate to my pain and kept insisting I let her come home. I realized that I might end end up in an estranged relationship with my son if it turned out that we divorced. It was some comfort to know that our daughter, Patty, better understood what I was going through and was more supportive.

After getting the information from Mary on the name of the administrator of the test, I called some friends in legal and police matters and found out that the guy was used frequently by the police and was assured he would conduct an impartial test. Calling, I made an appointment to see him the next day. I found out he'd already been contacted by Flo and Roger and was scheduled to give the test to each of them in two days. They had both provided my name as an interested party with authority to control the questions to be asked.

The following day I explained to my boss that I needed to take some personal time and went down to the test administrators office. His name was Jack Harlan and I explained to him what the problem was and I needed closure via his testing to determine if Flo and Roger had sex or not. We discussed the questions he would ask and he told me that he would ask the same questions of both Flo and Roger and compare the responses he received from both of them and issue me a final written report. He agreed that having both of the jokesters take the test and comparing the results would provide assurance that there was no sex if test results for both were in agreement. If they weren't then the the tests were invalid and I could probably never be trust her again and divorce was imminent. If the tests showed they were both lying I could start divorce proceedings immediately. It was a no brainer as far as I was concerned.

I went back to work feeling more assured I would get to the bottom of this soon as to whether there was sex involved. However, I knew in my heart that hard decisions were coming.

The next three days I went to work as usual and stayed late to avoid going home to an empty house. I ate my meals at a nearby diner and when I got home, I had a drink of scotch and then went to my empty bed. Sleep was hard to come by. I really missed Flo and the warmth and love she had brought to our marriage before the jokes started..

On Friday I received a call from Jack Harlan that he was putting the results of the the testing in the mail that morning and I should probably have it the next day. He didn't tell me the results, just that I should be pleased.

The next day I received the envelope containing the reports and sat down at the kitchen table to open it with mixed feelings. The envelope contained a summary report of the tests on both Flo and Roger. The report indicated that the results from both tests were in agreement regarding the episode with the handcuffs in that no sex had occurred. Additionally, a question I had the test administrator insert regarding whether any sex had ever occurred between them had negative results.

I breathed a sigh of relief but then thought, 'What do I do now? Can I still live with her and her obvious lack of love and respect for me?' I guess it was time to sit down and talk with her to see where we were going.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That evening I called Mary's place and asked to speak to Flo.

"Well, its about time." Mary responded.

"I got my copy of the test results today and Flo and I need to talk."

"Were they OK?"

"Yes, they were fine. I guess it was just a joke."

"Well, can't Flo go home now?"

"We need to talk first. The lack of respect she showed me by pulling that joke was too much. We need to talk about our future together."

"Oh god, I hoped that once you were convinced they weren't lying, it would be over and she could go home."

"I wish it were that simple Mary, but I have a real problem with that so-called joke that goes beyond the big laugh they got out of it, so can we use your house to meet tomorrow?"

"Yeah, sure. No problem. I'll leave at whatever time you set up and you can have the house to yourselves."

"Thanks Mary. Can you put her on now?"

"Sure, just a minute."

I heard some murmurings in the background and then Flo came on the phone.

"Jim? Honey, is it you?"

"Yeah, its me Flo. We need to talk."

"Mary says the test results were OK. Can I come home so we can talk?"

"No, you can't come home yet Flo. I want to meet with you tomorrow afternoon at Mary's place. Is two PM OK?"

I heard a sob and then a faint response.

"That's fine honey. I love you."

"We'll discuss it tomorrow Flo. See you then. Bye."

Hanging up I could hear her crying and I began to feel bad. I knew I had to hang tough on this and see how the talks next day would go. Tomorrow was a Sunday and I hoped to get some resolution on my marital problems at our meeting.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The next afternoon I was at Mary's house at 2 PM on the dot. Flo answered the door when I walked up the steps so I knew she was watching for me. She looked tired and sad with dark circles under her eyes and in the two weeks since I last seen her it looked like she had lost weight. It looked like she wanted to put her arms around me but I just shook my head as I entered the house.

"Hi honey." she spoke softly. "Mary has gone to the mall for a couple of hours so we can talk. Where do you want to sit? I've made coffee. Can I get you some?"

"I guess we can sit at the kitchen table and yes, a cup of coffee is OK."

I followed her into the kitchen and sat down watching her get the coffees. When she had set the cups on the table and I took a sip of mine as she sat down across the table from me.

"Before we begin I'd like to say something." she said. "In the last two weeks I've had a lot of time to think about what occurred, what led up to it and I'm appalled and ashamed of myself for the lack of respect for you as my husband, friend and lover I was exhibiting. I don't know where I was coming from in getting involved in those horrid jokes with Roger. When we made you the butt of those jokes I must have been out of my mind and I want you to know I've started to see a psychologist about how I got into that mind set."

"I want you to know also that having this two weeks apart and not being able to communicate with you has been the worst time of my life. It's made me realize how much I love you and need you. However, if you decide we've got to separate then I will accept that as punishment for what I've done to you and our marriage. I can only ask you, as my husband, to please forgive me and take me back as your wife. I will make sure you will never regret it if you do."

I had sat there listening as she talked and heard her say the things I knew I had to hear if there was going to be a reconciliation between us. If she had gone off on what other people thought about our breaking up or any other meaningless reason to stay together it would have been over. But she had gone right to the crux of the problem, she had addressed her shortcomings in allowing it to happen and what she was doing to find out why it happened. I remembered then why I'd married her so many years ago. She was forthright and didn't beat about the bush when a problem presented itself and needed to be solved. Now it was my turn to say something.

"I'm remembering Flo." I said and she looked at me apprehensively. "I'm remembering why I married you. You completed me. You made me whole and I never want to forget that."

She was smiling now as I continued.

"Somehow we got off track but I think its coming back together. I don't need a subservient slave back, I want the woman I married back and I want to get her back home where she belongs so I can feel whole again."

She was getting up from her chair and coming around the table to me with her arms outstretched and a beautiful smile on her face. I stood to meet her and we came together in a frenzied, passionate embrace. Our lips met and our tongues dueled in as we hungrily sought to make ourselves one body.

Finally, we broke the kiss and I whispered in her ear as she continued to desperately hold on to me.

"I brought my truck in case I decided to bring you home. How long will it take you to get packed and ready to go?"

"If you back your truck up to the garage you'll find all my stuff in boxes waiting to be loaded."

I pulled back a little from her and looked at her tear stained face before speaking.

"You were pretty sure of yourself, weren't you?"

"No, just hoping and praying. I didn't want to waste any time getting home again if you decided to keep me."

She was smiling and laughing while she said it and still clinging to me.

"I love you."

"I know, and I love you more than my life. Let's go home."

EPILOGUE

We got back together and made a new commitment to our marriage. In order to solve the problem of having Roger as a next door neighbor we sold the house we raised our kids in and bought a new, smaller home to fit our new life style as empty nesters. Life is good.

*

I hope this puts a closure to the story for all those that wrote asking for my ending. Maybe some other writer will attempt his own ending if he doesn't like mine.

Agena
Agena
1,230 Followers