A Loser Rebounds Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"The position you interviewed for could be yours subject to final negotiations. Are you still interested?"

"Yes but I have two other irons in the fire," Andy lied.

They settled into negotiations but stalled when it came to basic salary.

Andy said 175K was too low.

"What were you expecting?"

"Over 200k. You guys want this scheme developed and that will take hard work and long hours. You have to pay for my type of expertise."

"We have other people short-listed."

"Well Judy, so be it. I remain interested but to get me for that three-year contract you have to convince me it's worth me coming out to California. Good money would do that."

Judy called three hours later.

"Would you sign on for a salary of 200k?"

"Well that's a big jump from your initially offer Judy and I expect that's near your top offer. Okay I'm required here in terms of my contract to give a month's notice. The contract has two months to run. Send me the contract with letter of offer and I'll take it to my attorney. I see from your website the guy I am replacing had no field staff, just a PA. Is that correct?"

"Yes and do you have a problem with that?"

"No because this type of narrow-focused promotional activity works best on a one-on-one basis."

"That what we think too. Your PA will be Mr Jennings' niece, Lola Jennings."

"Fine and perhaps we you receive my signed contract you'll put her in contact with me. That way I can start on Day One ready to go without much procedural stuff and briefings to hold me back from field work. What will my vehicle be?"

"You are involved in prestige work. Our fleet are generally Fords. I'll see what I can do."

"Good. I'll buy new lightweight suits. Thanks Judy."

When Andy had heard the name Lola his initiate and ridiculous thought was she sounded fuckable. Well as she was the boss's niece he should not exploit and plunder her. Anyway she could be the ugly sister and though of calling Sally as asking her to confirm that. But instead he called Sally and said he was waiting to receive the contract for the job.

"Oh great, that's wonderful. Paul and I will continue to see you because we visit Lola once a year. I believe you will be very comfortable with Lola as your PA."

Comfortable? Andy sniffed when the call ended. He would have preferred a PA who was as hot as the Californian sun. Hey where was his change of attitude about women? Andy grinned and thought his time at the resort in Mexico had refocused his interest in sex, lots of it. Well okay women were also good for their company, their conversations and ability to think but those things were simply the add-ons. Sex is what drove a guy through life, er especially in his younger years.

Two days after Andy couriered his signed contract back to the publishing company, he received a call.

"Good morning Mr Ash, I'm Miss Jennings calling from California."

"Oh hi Lola, call me Andy. Is it warm and sunny out there today?"

"Actually it's misty rain."

"Oh."

"Just joking Andy. Yes it's another day of blue sky and sunglasses are necessary. I'm surprised you knew who I was?"

"I know of no other Miss Jennings now that your sister is married and I had been expecting your call following HR receiving my signed contract."

"Oh I should have guessed. Sally told me you were a really switched on guy without a lazy bone in your body."

"And may I ask what else she told you."

"Oh just girl to girl things."

Andy believed that was the end of that.

"Lola I'm not married so have time on my hands. I wonder if you could send me a hard-copy of the company's induction manual, company annual reports for the past five years, the strategic and business plan of our department and..."

"Plans? We've never planned anything until signing heads of agreements."

Andy frowned. "Then how do you target projects and know when those groups were last approached, the history of projects and..."

"Your predecessor Mr Noble was old school. He relied on memory and cultivated relationships."

Andy sighed.

"Well don't blame me. I just answer the phone and do the word processing."

"Did you find that challenging?"

"Heavens no. It's rather boring."

"Would you like action?"

"You mean sex? Sally told me about you."

Andy laughed easily and said, "No your uncle might frown on that. I meant do you really wish to become immersed in our business unit and help make it tick and advance to meet goals and to grow as a business."

"Oh god."

"Um do you understand what I'm saying? You're not blonde are you?"

She giggled and said Sally he told her Andy was very upfront.

"Yes I am a natural blonde as is my mother and both grandmothers. I also possess a well-regarded bachelor's degree in business administration and a diploma in advanced business finance. Some might say I'm no dumb blonde."

"Lola I'm..."

"I enjoy the dumb blonde image and like many of the dumb blond jokes. I took your comment as it was meant to be taken and that was lightly. No apology is required."

"I appreciate you saying that. Do you date?"

"Is that something you should be asking me, your business underling?"

"It was another inoffensive comment. I wish to know about you. Well let me put it this way, are you ugly and unhappily married to a guy with a beard who sweats excessively?"

She giggled and said he should wait to find out naturally. I'll print out heaps of stuff from my computer including what our budget is and look forward to your arrival. Call me whenever you wish."

Andy arranged to see Rebecca and handed her his resignation.

"I've been expecting this," she said. "I've dealt with some enquiries about you so concluded you were serious about not renewing your contract. Wallace and I will be sorry to see you go because you have performed well for us and brilliantly well with the redesign of our product range and those inspired re-launching as part of the North-West family of products. But you are young and on the move up. My feeling is you are best-suited for entrepreneurial work."

God Rebecca was claiming to have feelings, Andy thought.

"It's funny you should say that. The company I've targeted had an opening in that kind of business and I've landed the position."

"Well congratulations and please accept you will be required to work out your notice. I must start looking for your replacement."

"Thanks for all you've done for me Rebecca. You alone saved me from drowning commercially."

"Well I thought you were worth it and that you would rebound given the chance. It didn't surprise me I was proven correct in that assessment."

To Be Continued

12