A New Direction

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

After a long hot shower Jennifer sat on the small deck off her room and watched the river flow past. Occasionally a young couple or a group of people would float past in canoes. She remembered the days when she was young and did the same thing. Life seemed so simple and so wonderful in those days. She was beautiful and knew it. She had to fight the men off and many times she didn't. She had lost her virginity on one of those float trips. She wondered what ever happened to all those boys she had dated in high school and college. Well, really, she only wondered about two or three of the most special ones but so what.

Jennifer sat on her patio until nearly 1730 before she moved. She was supposed to have supper with the family at her grandparents' home. It was Friday night and every Friday a different family member hosted a meal for the rest of the family. She had missed almost all of the gatherings since she had been home this time. Sometimes they held the gathering here at the Resort but that was usually on a special occasion or when the entire family would be expected to be present and no one else had room.

Jennifer changed into shorts and a blouse then walked out of the lodge and to the car she had been loaned for her leave. When she entered her grandparent's home she found herself walking slower. She felt like a naughty child who had been caught more than a responsible Naval Officer. She walked through the house and into the kitchen where many of the women were putting the finishing touches on the meal. She could see the men standing or sitting around outside while the BBQ smoked wildly.

Jennifer wasn't comfortable with the women because she had not done much of a domestic nature for over 20 years. Oh, sure when she was on shore duty she prepared many of her own meals, cleaned her own home and so forth but she didn't feel like she had much in common with the wives and mothers scurrying around the kitchen. She really had more in common with the men. Most of the males in the back yard either were in the Reserves or had retired from one branch or another of the military. They were all, to a man Officers. She fit in there but she was embarrassed to show her face after the talking to she had suffered this afternoon. She knew her father was right but it hurt so damn much...

Finally Jennifer moved to a compromise. She began carrying prepared items outside and placing them on the tables they would use for the meal. While she was out there she would visit for a moment or two with the men. Slowly, inevitably Jennifer relaxed and began to enjoy herself. These people were not only her family they were her friends. She cared deeply for them and she knew they cared deeply for her.

Over the course of that evening and the next week Jennifer finally began to heal mentally and emotionally as she had already healed physically. A week before her leave was over she got a phone call from her commander. He told her when her Medical Review Board met. After that call Jennifer called her detailer. He laid out her options if she was able to continue flying and if she was not. To her they weren't really all that great. She agreed to consider them all and let him know what position she would be most interested in if she was retained in the navy. Of course there was no guarantee that would be where the Navy would put her but at least she did have some input.

By the time her leave was over Jennifer was once again in love with her hometown and the surrounding area. The small town had grown enormously while she had been away in the Navy. There were now almost 4000 residents and many new businesses. Jennifer found herself strangely reluctant to leave. She had met many new people and made friends with some of them. She was especially fond of a retired Command Sergeant Major in Wilsons Mill and a retired navy Chief that worked for another friend of hers in Steelville.

While she was going through more physicals and reintegrating herself back into the Navy Jennifer made a life altering decision. She decided to retire and move back home. She did not even wait to see if she would pass the flight physical that had been scheduled for her. She did not care what the Medical Review Board would decide. One of her old school friends worked as a real estate agent. They had gone out several evenings during her convalescence and reconnected. The lady made real estate sound interesting. She said if you were good even in the down markets you could make enough money to live comfortably. Of course with her pension Jennifer would not have to work as hard or long to live comfortably any way. She had no intention of using her income from the family business to live on. As far as she was concerned she didn't need it and so it was of no consequence.

Much to her surprise the day Jennifer filled out the retirement application she felt a weight lift off her shoulders. She had not realized how the responsibilities of her career had weighed her down. She felt happy about the decision and was looking forward to returning permanently to the home she had left so many years ago. Normally the Navy required several months notice for retirement but considering her special circumstances they waived some of the notice time. Jennifer was retired and released from Active duty three months after returning from her convalescence leave.

Jennifer packed her small SUV with immediately necessary items and started off on a leisurely drive back toward home. The Navy would ship the rest of her belongings to her. She had already decided to get her real estate license and see if she liked selling real estate as a second career.

Jennifer was surprised at the ease with which she settled back into life in her small town. Within six months she felt as if she had been there all her life. She had her real estate license and was building her business rapidly. Her name and family connections were helping immensely as you would expect. She was already working on obtaining her broker's license as well. Jennifer knew the area well and knew where the choice locations to own were. She targeted those locations in her marketing.

There was a small bar and campground in the town of Prineville that Jennifer began going to. It was owned and operated by Larry Wilson, a young retired Army Sergeant and his wife Linda. The first time Jennifer had been there was for lunch she treated a couple to when she was showing them some property. She had liked the place immediately and felt relaxed there.

The second time Jennifer had gone to the place was on a Friday evening when she had invited her good friend Sarah out to celebrate her obtaining her Broker's License. They sat on the patio with a couple of the other agents celebrating Jennifer's accomplishment. Finally, near the end of the evening Sarah stood and made a toast to Jennifer. "I want to take this opportunity to formally toast the accomplishments of my very good friend Commander Jennifer Fielding. She served our country with distinction for almost 22 years before retiring and coming back home to us. Now that she has returned to us she has taken up another career and in just a few short months has obtained her Broker's license and a full book of properties to sell. Well done Jennifer, thank you for your service and welcome home."

Later that evening only Jennifer and Sarah were left celebrating. A young man and woman walked up to their table. The young man was crippled and limping slightly. The woman was carrying a tray with four drinks on it. The man stood before Jennifer almost at attention. The woman placed the drinks for Sarah and Jennifer on the table, handed one to the man and took the other for herself.

The man fully assumed the position of attention with the exception of holding his drink and said, "Commander I am SSG Larry Wilson, Retired. I overheard the earlier toast your friend there made. My wife Linda and I also want to thank you for your service and welcome you home."

The man smiled and placed his arm around the waist of the woman standing beside him before continuing. "My wife and I own this little slice of Heaven and are pleased you and your friends have chosen to honor us with your business. You were always welcome here but now you are even more welcome. There is always a place in our establishment for those who have served our country."

For some reason Jennifer felt her eyes become moist. She felt a tightening in her throat. She stood also and said, "Thank you so much Sergeant but, if I may, I want to repeat a saying my Grandfather used to use. We're both retired now and I'm not a Commander any longer. It would honor me if you would call me Jennifer. I assume since you're retired at such a young age that your limp must have something to do with it? If so, I am the one who should be honored to be in the presence of one who was so seriously injured fighting for his country."

Larry laughed and said, "OK Jennifer. And yes, you are correct. I was injured somewhat on active duty and had to leave the service. Of course from the rumors I hear I don't hold a monopoly on that either do I? I hear you took some major hits too."

Surprising no one the two ex military people hit it off well. The one drink morphed into another, then another. Linda and Sarah both sat listening as the two new friends travelled down memory lane with each other. As the night passed and finally drew to a close it became obvious neither Sarah nor Jennifer were fit to drive. Atypically Larry and Linda closed the bar with Linda doing most of the work because of Larry's unusual state of intoxication. Even more strangely when the closing work was completed they took the two drunks into their home and let them sleep it off.

The next morning a hung over Larry and his wife were sitting on the balcony overlooking the park and river when an embarrassed Jennifer came stumbling outside to see them. "Mrs. Wilson I am so embarrassed. I apologize for my actions last night. I am grateful for your kindness putting Sarah and me up last evening. Can you ever forgive me for imposing on you like I did?"

Linda laughed and said, "Jennifer you have no reason to ask for my forgiveness. You were not obnoxious in the least and Larry and I both really enjoyed talking with you last night." She smiled and wrapped her arm around a sheepish looking Larry then continued, "Besides, I not only learned more about my husband and what he went through last night than I had known before but I also understand much better what those of you who serve go through. I would like very much to be able to call you a friend. You and your friends will always be welcome in our bar and in our home. Now sit down and I'll get you some coffee I bet you need."

Jennifer sank into a chair beside Larry and sheepishly took the coffee when Linda handed it to her. She sat quietly drinking the coffee and looking over the river with Larry and Linda. About thirty minutes later Sarah came staggering from her bedroom and onto the deck. She sank into a chair and held her head in her hands. "OHHHH. I feel like crap." She turned to Jennifer and said, "All the rumors I have heard are correct aren't they? You damn sailors DO drink like fishes. Never again."

Everyone laughed and relaxed back in their seats. Linda walked from the deck into the house. Soon Linda returned and handed Sarah a cup of steaming coffee. Not another word was spoken until all had completed their cups of coffee. Jennifer looked over at Larry and said, "I really don't know what got into me last night. It's been years since I let myself get drunk like that."

Larry looked over at Jennifer and smiled although the smile looked more like a grimace. "I know what you mean Commander. I acted like a payday rich little PV1 and I'm sure paying for it right now."

"Dammit Larry I TOLD you my name's Jennifer. I WAS a Commander. Am I going to have to stand you at attention and read you the riot act before you call me by my name?"

"I'm sorry Ma'am. It's just a habit. I'll try to get better if you insist."

"Larry Ma'am is just as bad. I will lay some hurt on you if you don't straighten up. Speaking of hurt, do you have some aspirin I could have? I need to take care of this headache, find some food and then get home to change clothes and get to work."

Sometime during Larry and Jennifer's exchange Linda had disappeared. Larry stood and walked slowly, almost painfully, into his house. He went into the master bedroom and got a bottle of aspirin then went into the kitchen for a glass of water. He saw Linda making what he called a "real" breakfast. She was frying Potatoes and Onions, Eggs, Ham and there were biscuits in the oven. He walked up to her, set the water and aspirin down then wrapped her in his arms. He looked at her beautiful face a moment then gave her a gentle kiss. "I love you Honey," he said. "Thank you for putting up with us last night and for the breakfast this morning."

After another hug Larry picked up Jennifer's aspirin and water then walked back out onto the deck. He handed her the items he had for her and said, "Here are your pain pills you worthless Squid. Linda's making that breakfast you ordered right now. I'm afraid we can't help you with the change of clothes though."

"Oh, no! We couldn't impose on you for breakfast. Come on Sarah, we have to go right now."

Larry was just beginning to tell Jennifer she had to stay because the food was almost done when Linda came to the door. "Come on you three. Breakfast's on the table."

Jennifer and Sarah made a couple more polite statements of regret for putting Larry and Linda out then they all trooped into the house. There wasn't much conversation as the meal disappeared rapidly. Finally Jennifer sighed and pushed back from the table. "That was delicious Linda. Thank you. I really enjoy breakfasts like that but don't have them very often because of the calories they pack in. Now let me help you with the dishes then I really do have to run. I have a showing this morning and I still have to go home, shower and change clothes."

Larry and Linda watched the two women walk slowly toward their cars. When the cars started ok the couple turned back toward the bar. They had a lot of work to do to prepare it for opening at 11:00. Normally they had a lively lunch trade then things slowed down until shortly after 5 when people began dropping in for a cold one on the way home from work. Larry worked slowly because of his hang over. Finally they were ready for the lunch crowd and wandered out onto the deck to rest a moment before they unlocked the door to start another day.

Linda looked over at Larry and smiled. "I really enjoyed myself last night Honey. Jennifer Fielding is a really nice woman and her friend Sarah is ok too."

"Yeah but I think she's really lonesome. I hope she finds some friends to visit with soon so she doesn't seem so sad. Somehow she just doesn't seem like most of the people we get in here. I hope she comes back often."

Larry and Linda didn't see Jennifer for a few days then she showed up Wednesday evening. She came in about 6 p.m. and walked up to the bar. She ordered a Dos Equis Lager. After she paid she took her beer and wandered out onto the deck. None of the group Jennifer usually came with had showed up. She sat watching the sun filter through the trees. There was still an occasional canoe floating past on the river that would catch her attention.

Larry walked up to his cook and said, "Betty Linda and I are going to be on the deck for a break. Please keep an eye on the bar for me. Yell if you need one of us back."

When Linda and Larry walked onto the deck they saw Jennifer staring at the old abandoned Hotel beside his campground. She looked up at them and smiled then returned to her inspection of the surroundings.

Jennifer said, "Larry what's the story on the old Hotel over there? I know it's been closed for several years. It looks so sad just sitting there rotting away. Do you own it too? I seem to recall it was part of the camp grounds at one time."

"Yeah we own it. It was part of the deal when I bought the place from Phil. I hate to see it rot but we just don't have the money to fix it up. I try to keep the grounds in decent shape because a lot of the campers and picnickers use the yard and shade during the summer. I've thought about trying to do something with it but I really don't have the time or money to do it."

"Would you mind if I looked it over? I would like to see what it looks like. I spent a lot of fun summers working there when it was open for tourists."

"No, be my guest. Do you have something in mind or are you just curious?"

"No I just remember it from when I was younger and thought it would be neat to trip down memory lane more than anything."

After Jennifer finished her beer she stood to leave. Larry and Linda stood also to return to work. When the three got to the bar Larry picked up a key and handed it to Jennifer. "Here's the key to the hotel. Sorry I can't come with you but I have to get back to work."

Jennifer was gone almost an hour before she came back into the bar once more. She smiled and handed Larry the key then ordered another beer. This time she sat at the bar and visited with Larry while he tended to his business. Linda was helping the cook and two waitresses were scurrying back and forth.

The next Friday evening Jennifer returned to the bar once more. She greeted Larry as normal and once more took a table on the deck where she could see the hotel and look over the river. Several people she knew showed up and they had a great sounding time. Sometimes the table would be completely packed then one or two would leave before more showed up. Jennifer stayed until the very end. After the last of her friends left about 10 p.m. she stood, walked to the bar and took a seat.

Larry walked up and stood in front of her. They began visiting and continued the visit through several interruptions necessitated by drink orders. Finally about 11:30 things began slowing down. Jennifer looked up from watching her bottle as she made water rings on the bar. She said, "Larry I've been thinking about your hotel all week. I have a proposition for you. You know I'm in the real estate business?"

Larry nodded his head 'yes' and Jennifer continued. "I think the old building is still pretty structurally sound. It is dirty and outdated. The room sizes are slightly below modern standards but I think you could work around that. What I'm thinking here is that I could help finance a remodel for you then I could act as manager of the property. We would have to hire some help but that shouldn't be too much of a problem. What I really want to do is live there. I've fallen in love with the view here and how peaceful it is along this stretch of the river. I like it here a lot better than out at my families' resort where I have been living.

"We could rent a few rooms out nightly for vacationers but we could also turn some of the rooms into small apartments. It looks like there are 16 rooms downstairs and 20 upstairs. We could turn the upstairs rooms into small apartments and use the downstairs rooms for nightly or weekly rentals. I would take my management fees by using the largest upstairs apartment rent free. Here, I roughed out a drawing to show you what I mean.

"Look at this drawing Larry. Upstairs we can make 4 two bedroom apartments out of 12 rooms, 2 one bedroom apartments out of 4 more rooms then we could turn the remaining 4 end rooms into a nice large apartment for me or some other manager if I should leave in the future. Downstairs we can leave 12 rooms the same size for nightly rentals and turn the other 4 rooms into one bedroom units with a small kitchen area for weekly rentals. Later if we need more weekly rental units we could convert more of the smaller rooms over or rent the apartments weekly if they don't rent monthly."