A New Direction

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Larry stood looking at Jennifer for a moment then said, "That sounds great. I would like to see something done with the building but I really don't have the money to do that. I owe enough to Phil still that I don't want to borrow more. I sure would like to see the building fixed up though."

Jennifer thought a moment longer then said, "Well, how about this? I foot the renovation costs, live in the apartment I want for myself and we split the profits 50/50. You give me your share of the profits until my costs are fully repaid. I will charge no interest on the loan since I am technically a partner in the renovation. I can have our family lawyer draw up a partnership agreement and we could get started on the old place. Larry I really would like to live over there and I think this would be a good deal for both of us."

"On the surface I don't have a problem with that. It sounds like a win/win situation to me but I think we need to get Linda involved in this discussion. We need to talk about what happens if we want to split up the partnership or one of us dies too."

About that time Linda walked up and wrapped her arm around Larry's waist. She smiled up at Larry and glanced at Jennifer before she said, "You want to get Linda involved in what?"

The two friends told Linda what they had been discussing. As they talked she began to smile. She agreed the proposal sounded great. She and Jennifer agreed to meet and iron out the plans then get the attorneys involved. Before too long the paperwork was signed and Jennifer was making plans to begin the renovations. One of her first jobs after the agreement was signed was to finish her plans to finance the renovation.

Jennifer began thinking about the renovation expenses and where she would liquidate her investments. As she did that she had a thought. The hotel was over 100 years old. She went on line and looked up the requirements to get it on the National List of Historic Buildings. If she could do that she found there were a lot of grants she could get, or rather Larry could get, to help fund renovations.

For the next several months she and Larry worked to get the building listed. After it was finally listed on the register they had several hours of work to do to insure the renovation plans would meet the requirements. Finally, with the help of an architect, they finalized their plans and Jennifer began looking for a contractor.

Jennifer wanted to use local help as much as she could. Her search for a contractor was somewhat difficult for her because many did not have the qualifications needed to save and restore the old building. Finally, in the end she found just the one she wanted. The firm she contracted to do the work was out of Centerton. After the paperwork was signed with them the owner said, "Well Commander I think you'll have a great place there when we're done with it. I'll have my job foreman meet you there early Monday morning to make final plans for the work. Let me know if there is anything you need that he can't take care of."

The following Monday Jennifer, Larry and Linda met the Job Site Foreman at the old hotel for a final walk through before he moved his crew in to begin working. The middle aged man looked somewhat familiar to Jennifer. She felt a little uneasy when he hesitated just after getting out of his truck and stared at her.

The man walked up to the three partners and introduced himself to Larry and Linda as Mark Scott. He shook Larry's and Linda's hand then turned to Jennifer with a smile. She had been watching the man as he went through the introduction process with Larry and Linda. When he stepped in front of her she began smiling and reached for his hand. Mark smiled also and shook her hand then said, "I have been looking forward to seeing you again Jennifer. I had to pull some major strings to get assigned this renovation. How have you been? How are you feeling now?"

"I'm well Mark. I'm surprised to see you also. I didn't know you were still living around here. I haven't seen Brenda or talked to her since I left home. How is Trudy?"

Mark stood for a moment without speaking. The three friends saw his face tighten and he took a deep breath. His voice was harsh when he once again spoke. "I have no idea how that bitch is. I haven't seen her in almost twelve years. We got divorced just after Brenda died."

Jennifer stepped back and placed her hand on Mark's arm. She looked shocked when she said, "Oh my God. I didn't even know Brenda was dead. I'm sorry if I opened some wounds. I didn't know about your divorce either. I'm so sorry."

Mark took a deep breath and looked over the river for a moment. "Yeah, Brenda and her husband had a pretty bad automobile accident about 13 years ago. Brenda died in the accident and Howard spent some time in the hospital then he had several weeks of recuperation. Since he was my brother in law we did all we could to help him get over the accident and Brenda's death. Unfortunately, I found out Trudy was going way beyond what was acceptable to me to make Mark feel better. It's the old story. I came home early one day and found them in bed screwing up a storm. I reinjured good old Howard slightly when I threw him out of the house and I sent Brenda along with him although I didn't injure her like I wanted to. She and Howard got our girl in the divorce then moved away with almost 2/3 of my net worth. I haven't seen my daughter now in seven years. They took off and disappeared. I reported the disappearance to the authorities but something like that is low on their priorities. I don't know if I'll ever see Gwendolyn again."

"I'm so sorry Mark. Please forgive me for opening that wound again."

"No problem. You didn't know and truthfully it's never far from my mind."

The next three weeks were busy and saddening for Jennifer and Larry. They both had memories of the old hotel and they were sad to see it being gutted before being put back together in its new configuration. Between selling real estate and overseeing the renovations Jennifer was working 10-12 hours a day much as she had while in the navy. Of course when she thought of this she stopped and remembered in sorrow what she felt she had lost when she retired.

One evening after she had looked over the day's work at the hotel Jennifer was sitting on the deck of the bar with her evening drink. She was listening to the night sounds coming from the river. The fish were jumping and the katydids were singing. She saw some fires down on the river bank and smiled as she listened to people laughing and splashing in the water. She missed listening to the exuberance of her young pilots when they were unwinding. In some ways what she listened to here at the bar and from the campground reminded her of that.

Her thoughts about the pilots were not the best ones she could have had. Those thoughts just made her miss flying more than she normally did. She was sitting making water circles on the table with her beer bottle when Mark came and sat at the table with her. He watched her for a few moments then asked, "What is wrong Jennifer? When you left the hotel you seemed happy. Now you look like you lost your best friend."

"Oh just being silly I suppose. I've been watching and listening to those young people here tonight and feeling sorry for myself. I really miss flying and the camaraderie we all had. I almost feel like I lost a very dear friend. I know I lost something very dear to me when I had to quit flying. Truthfully, the sound of the children playing isn't helping either."

Jennifer sighed and continued, "I always wanted children but I never seemed to find the right man to help me with that. My career always seemed to get in the way."

"Why can't you fly Jen? You look fit as a fiddle to me."

Jennifer felt herself blush. She sat staring into space for a moment then looked up at Mark. "I don't have the muscle strength and reflexes for combat flying any longer. When I was hit I took some shrapnel in my side and intestines and, unh female parts. I lost most of the muscles in my right chest area and my breast."

"You look fit. Why can't you fly any longer?

"I suppose I can fly but I don't have the ability for combat flying any longer. That is what the navy is all about and I just couldn't face a non flying job especially since it would probably have been on a carrier or naval air station."

The conversation moved on to other topics and Jennifer forgot all about it over the course of the next several days. She had almost completely mastered the real estate business and was finding it boring after her career in the navy. If she had to listen to one more spoiled little bitch whining about finding just the perfect house she thought she would puke. She didn't know what she could do about it but was beginning to think she might have to find something more exciting to do or she would die of boredom.

On Friday evening Jennifer had a late session so didn't get to the hotel before the crew left. Instead of looking over the work she just walked into the bar. She smiled and spoke to Larry and Linda for a moment while she picked up her first beer of the evening. After a few minutes of conversation she walked out onto the deck to her normal table. To her surprise Mark and a couple of her other friends were still there.

When Mark saw her he smiled and stood up. He said loudly, "Well it's about time you got here. I thought we were going to have to send out a search party to find you." Mark turned and pulled a chair from the table then continued, "Here, sit down. I think I've found just the thing to cheer you up Jen. Tom Sligo has a crop dusting service and I just found out he can't pass his flight physical any longer. He's going to have to close his business or sell it one. He and Sadie really can't afford to close down. They can't live on their Social Security by itself. Can you fly an airplane? If you can would you be interested in flying his crop duster until he can sell the business?"

Jennifer sat and stared at Mark. She felt herself becoming excited and had to clamp down on her emotions. "Yes Mark. I am a fixed wing pilot as well as rotary wing. Of course I am not checked out in a crop duster but that shouldn't be too difficult to arrange. I should be able to pass a civilian flight physical but we would have to see that. You know I just might try and see if I can help Mr. Sligo out. Thank you."

"Great. Here's his card. Give him a call if you're really interested. It would mean a lot to him if you can help him out. I think what he would really like to do is sell the business but he might just let you fly for him. I think he and his wife want to move to Florida and retire."

Jennifer and her friends spent the next couple of hours visiting but everyone could see her mind really wasn't in the conversation. Larry had heard Mark tell Jennifer about the crop dusting service and knew that was what she was thinking of. He had known for several weeks that Jennifer was not completely happy and had worried about his friend. Oh, sure she was excited about bringing the old hotel back to life and about getting to live there but she didn't seem at all satisfied with her real estate business.

A little over a week later just about the time most of the after work crowd showed up at the bar Larry heard a small aircraft. The noise got louder and louder. He heard some of the guests on the patio yell then heard a loud roar as the plane buzzed past just over the roof of the building. He went out on the patio to see what was going on. He rapidly found the little yellow plane in the sky. It was almost at the apex of a climb. He watched as it turned its nose toward the ground once more and dropped like a rock straight toward the bar once more. Some of the people were looking for a place to run when it pulled out of its dive and flashed over the patio once more. It flashed across the river headed back the way it came. As it crossed the river its wings waggled back and forth a couple of times then it was out of sight.

About 45 minutes later Jennifer came into the bar. She was grinning ear to ear. She looked happier than she had looked for weeks. She almost bounced up to the bar and ordered a Glenlivet double on the rocks. She was still grinning when she took the first sip.

Larry looked at her for a moment then he grinned also. "That crazy pilot a few minutes ago was you wasn't it Commander? You know you scared a bunch of people don't you? I think some of them had to go home to change their pants. I'm going to bill you for the lost business if you keep that up."

Jennifer's eyes were sparkling. She was almost bouncing with happiness when she said, "Yes. It was me. I haven't had that much fun since flight school I don't think. I'm going to fly part time for Tom the rest of this month. If I like doing the dusting as much as I think I will I'm going to buy his business. I'll sell real estate in my off times and manage your hotel like I promised but the rest of the year I will run the crop dusting service."

Once again Jennifer and Sarah stayed later than the rest of their gang. Once again they had a couple too many to drink. This time, however, Mark stayed with them celebrating. About an hour before the bar closed Larry was moving through the establishment visiting with his customers, checking to see if they were happy with the service they had received and touching base with the many of them who he now called friends.

When Larry came to the table Jennifer, Mark and Sarah were at he almost missed a step. Mark was sitting close to Jennifer with his arm wrapped around her. His other hand was under her skirt slightly as he gently caressed her thigh. Jennifer had her head resting on his shoulder. She looked up at him and stretched somewhat to place a gentle kiss on his lips. Mark bent his head toward her and gave her another longer kiss. Jennifer moaned as he did so.

Sarah sat trying not to watch the two across the table from her. She was biting her lip. When she saw Larry she smiled and shook her head. When Larry got closer he heard Jennifer say, "You know I really missed you all those years. It almost killed me to leave you here and again when I heard you had gotten married."

"You don't know how much I hurt, how angry I got when you took off to the Navy after we graduated from the University. I thought...I loved you more than you could know and you jerked my heart right out of me when you did that. I was going to ask you to marry me you know."

Jennifer looked up at Mark with tears in her eyes. "Yeah, I was afraid you were. I loved you too Mark but I just had to go to the Navy. I had listened to my relatives all my life talking about the military and the things they did in the service. I just had to follow in their footsteps. Besides, you know how badly I wanted to fly... Honey it just wouldn't have worked for us then. I couldn't have married you and been happy staying here in Steelville. I needed more and I wasn't ready for marriage.

"I knew you wouldn't have been happy following me around the world either. It just would have never worked. I think you are why I never got married though. None of the men I dated or lived with could ever live up to your memory."

Larry looked over at Sarah and caught her rolling her eyes as she listened to that conversation. He started to walk away when Jennifer saw him. She smiled and said, "Don't go Larry. It looks like things have quieted down some. Why don't you sit and visit with us for a few minutes." She had never taken her head off Mark's shoulder or moved his hand from her thigh although he did pull it down until it was resting at the hem of her skirt.

Larry could see all three of the friends were probably over the legal BAC to drive. He hated it when his customers took off obviously drunk and he especially hated it when his close friends did so. He was really looking forward to having the hotel finished so he could direct some of them over there to sleep it off. He didn't know if they would take his advice or not but he planned on giving it in any event.

Larry sat and visited for a few minutes then asked about the status of the renovations. Jennifer finally sat straighter and she and Mark filled him in on the last couple days progress since the three had talked previously. She said, "Things are coming along great Larry. I'm afraid I had them work on my apartment first but the rest of the building is coming along rapidly also. The finish carpenters are working on my apartment putting the final touches on it. I can move in sometime next week I think. All the rooms upstairs have been completed and are waiting on the painters. It should only take a couple more weeks to get them painted, floor coverings in and the woodwork finished. I think I can begin advertising them for renting by the last of August.

"The downstairs is coming along pretty well also. About half of the rough carpentry and modifications are completed downstairs. We should have the whole interior of the building completed in another four or five weeks. I have already started looking for a good landscaping crew to finish the grounds and parking area."

"Great! I want to get the nightly rooms ready as soon as I can. I want to try and send some of the drunks over there to rent a room and sleep it off if I can. I don't like to see them driving home like some of them get from time to time. In fact, I don't want the three of you driving tonight either. You're my friends as well as customers and you are way too lubricated to drive safely tonight. I think you maybe celebrated your new business a little too hard Jen."

Sarah and Jennifer both started to argue about their level of intoxication. To Larry's surprise Mark spoke up. He merely said, "Jen! You know he's right. Now do you want him to call one of the Fieldings to come get you or how do you want to handle this?"

Jennifer looked at Mark in surprise for a moment then she relaxed slightly. "You're right Honey," she said. She looked at Larry and said, "I am too far gone to drive and so is this asshole and Sarah. Thank you for worrying about us. I suppose we'll just sleep it off in our cars and go home later. I'll sure be glad when all I have to do is walk across the parking lot to get home!"

Larry looked around the room for a moment. When he saw his wife, Linda, he smiled as he watched her trim form glide around cleaning and getting ready to close. Like many a good spouse she seemed to know when her husband was watching her. She raised her head and turned toward him then smiled widely. Larry smiled back and motioned for her to come join them. When Linda arrived Larry said, "This swabby and her crew have done it again. They're drunk on their asses and I don't want them to drive tonight. Can we put them up for the night honey?"

Linda placed her hand on Larry's shoulder. She said, "Of course Honey. The guest room is clean and ready to go." She looked slightly worried then and continued, "We don't have a bed for Mark though. I can find some blankets for the couch though I suppose."

Mark looked guilty. He had a deer in the headlights sort of look. He said, "No. I'm not involved in this. Jen and Sarah are lots worse off than I am. I'll just go on home. I'm sure I can make it fine."

Jennifer looked over at Mark and said, "You will not. You've had almost as much to drink as Sharra uh Saaaarrrrrraaaah n I've drunk. You don't needta be drivin too. We'll jus scrunch over n you cn sleep wit us!" She had a brilliant smile on her face after she made that pronouncement. Then she turned to Linda and said, "Thass K with you innit Linna?"

Linda smiled and blushed slightly. She looked at Larry a moment. He shrugged his shoulders and Linda said, "Well, that's between the three of you I think but that's only a Queen sized bed."

The three drunks sat at the table swilling even more booze after Larry and Linda left to complete their day's work. Finally all the closing actions had been completed and the couple walked up to the table where Jennifer, Mark and Sarah sat still talking and laughing. Larry had cut them off after one more drink when he and Linda had been talking to them but they had not begun to sober up yet.