A Perilous Journey Ch. 04

Story Info
Chapter 4: A Flower by any Other Name.
2.4k words
4.64
6.7k
00

Part 5 of the 16 part series

Updated 10/18/2022
Created 04/12/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The Ahlissan Chronicles

~ Book II ~

A Perilous Journey

~ 4 ~

A Flower by any Other Name

Lord Brion left Erica when they turned and saw Kira waiting patiently to talk to her Shalafi; the adults smiled and asked her how long she had been standing there. All she would answer with was a childish giggle. Brion placed a kiss on Eryca's forehead and left her to her student, while he went off in search of his own young charge. He found Matthew up by the wheel watching the navigator make his calculations. Captain Nerelas told him that the Nesser was wide and deep enough for large vessels such as their brig but he wasn't taking any chances and planned on staying in the center of the river.

Pleased that the captain had everything well in hand Brion took Matthew below to his cabin. Once there they unpacked the gear that Brion had purchased for his new squire. The young knight took his time teaching Matthew all the names for his new attire and how to properly wear and care for it. Matthew learned the proper way to wear a sword and why and he learned what the duties of the squire were to his knight. When Brion sensed that Matthew needed a change of scenery they walked down to Astinos' stateroom. When they entered, the knight and his new squire found the three older men talking; Brion introduced them to his young charge.

"King Barnard, William, Earl of Walworth and Paragon Astinos allow me introduce my new squire, Matthew!" Brion then bowed low indicating that Matthew should the same. The three older men cheered, clapped and congratulated Matthew on his new position. The young boy clearly embarrassed by all the attention quickly turned red faced and looked down at his new boots.

"Chin up boy!" Lord Barnard kindly chided him. "You are a Squire of Ahlissa now, one day to be an Ahlissan Lancer and maybe a Knight of the Argent Griffon. You won't find any answers on the toes of your boots. So head up and look your fellow man in his eye and let him see your mettle. Yes?"

They all made gestures encouraging Matthew to look them in the eye. Squaring his shoulders and pulling himself up to his full height Matthew tried to look as serious as he could and looked at all of them. There was raucous laughter from the four older men in honor of the boy's determination.

"Well my son," Barnard said "I suppose you're here to see the Paragon and that means that William and I should go get some air." The two older men made their way out heartily patting the boy on the back as they went. Brion took a seat at Astinos' table and looked at the priest as he straightened his velvety blue robes over his stomach.

"Paragon, my young squire here requires teaching about the Arch-Paladin and the Heironean Code and I can think of no better teacher in those areas than you."

Astinos smiled at the compliment and turned to Matthew. "Can you read boy?"

"After a fashion sir," Matthew said looking at Astinos "my Mother taught me a little but after my parents died I was not able to practice much. Brenan the stable-hand thought learning letters was a waste of time sir."

The old priest threw his arms in the air in exasperation. "A waste of time!" he repeated. "What is the world coming to? I ask you?" Astinos patted the chair next to him and motioned Matthew to sit. "Come boy let us begin before you get the idea in your head that all warriors are witless sword slingers!"

Smiling as he remembered his own youthful days as the Paragon's student Brion quietly rose from his chair and made his way to the door. The last thing he heard before it clicked shut behind him was the old priest lecturing on the importance of duty and honor to the warriors of Ahlissa.

* * *

In her cabin Lady Eryca and Kira worked diligently, her stateroom was indeed furnished in the same magikal fashion as that of Aizantius. She turned and approved of the herbs that Kira had diced and instructed her to add them to the small pot that was cooking over the fire in the grate. Of course the cabin had no fireplace but she had solved that issue before she had even unpacked.

"Now go ahead and stir it Kira, nine times clockwise and then nine times counter-clockwise. You will see it turn a bright purple, when it does you need to add this valerian that I am dicing up."

Using the ladle Kira stirred the mixture exactly as her Shalafi had told her and it did indeed turn a bright purple. She smiled to herself and then tasted the brewing mixture; it smelled of peppermint and tasted of ginger. She eagerly went over to where Eryca had finished dicing the valerian and carried the small pile over to the pot. Dropping it into the already boiling mixture, the purple color began to fade and it began to turn yellow.

"Um... Shalafi, it's turning yellow. Is that right?" Kira asked as she looked worriedly at the brew boiling in the pot.

"Yes little one" her teacher said patiently "continue stirring it and the yellow should fade and turn pale. It will look very similar to a broth."

Kira continued to stir the heated concoction and it faded just as her teacher said it would. As Kira continued to stir, Eryca walked over with a wooden drinking bowl and began to ladle the steaming brew into the bowl. When she finished filling the bowl she walked over to the door.

"Come Kira."

Following her teacher they walked to the cabin next door to Eryca's. The green-eyed mage knocked softly on the door and then entered. Kira looked in and saw Miss Karolyn lying on the bed in the corner of the cabin. Next to the bed were a small table with a bowl on it and a bucket on the deck. Eryca walked over and sat on the edge of the bed where her sick friend lay.

"Here Karolyn, sit up and drink some of this."

Miss Karolyn forced herself to a sitting position and took the bowl from Eryca. Her face was drawn and pale, her eyes sunken and tired looking; it seemed that traveling by ship did not agree with her. The handmaiden sniffed at the warm liquid.

"What's in it?" she asked as she took a tentative sip.

"Just something that Kira and I brewed to help with your sea sickness. It will take away the feeling of uneasiness in your stomach and help you to sleep."

Karolyn drank deeply of the draught until the bowl was empty. "You know traveling has never really agreed with me but this traveling by ship is intolerable." She said as she sank back into her bed her eyelids already beginning to grow heavy with exhaustion. Taking a damp towel out of the bowl Eryca gently wiped the sweat from the forehead of her dear friend and did her best to comfort her.

"I know Karolyn," Eryca said softly "and you could have stayed at home but you insisted on coming with me." She smiled as she gently chided the sick woman. Her mistress's words penetrated her sleepy mind and Karolyn mumbled.

"Not...going...anywhere...or getting...married...without me..."

Eryca put her finger to her lips and made a shushing sound at Kira and nodded her head towards the door indicating they should leave quietly. Once back in her own cabin the maiden sat at her desk and began to write a note in her flowing handwriting. Once she had finished she folded the note and summoned Kira to her side.

"I have two very important jobs for you little one," Eryca said as looked at her young student "first take this note below to the galley and ask the ships' cook to have it ready by half-past six. Then you may have the afternoon to yourself but I would like you to check on Miss Karolyn every three hours and take her a bowl of the broth. Understand?"

"Yes Ma'am" answered the young blonde girl as she took the note from her teacher. Eryca watched as Kira opened the cabin door and disappeared into the hallway the door shutting behind her. Then the Lady turned in her chair and surveyed her stateroom, she would have to move a few things if she were going to fit a proper table for two, Eryca thought.

* * *

Lord Brion decided that he needed a gift to bring Eryca for their dinner tonight, while walking the main deck trying to think of ideas he noticed the various trees overhanging the river. Looking up at them he saw something that looked familiar and once he had climbed the rigging and smelled their heady aroma he knew for sure. They would be perfect! Sitting on the uppermost yardarm off of the main sail he secured his feet in the mast's rigging.

Reaching for the greenery he hacked at the branches with his dagger after cutting off a few branches and dropping them to the main deck he climbed down to inspect his catch. Looking at the foliage he found almost all of it to be to his liking. Picking up the branches he headed forward toward the bow so he could be alone with his thoughts while he pruned off the excess and put together his gift.

* * *

As the sky began to grow dark Brion looked at himself one last time in the mirror in his stateroom. He was dressed in his normal fashion; dark loose linen shirt, this one had serpents embroidered on it, black pants and boots and his crimson Lancer's sash. He had decided to forgo wearing his rapier since he really didn't need it and the spaces aboard the ship could be tight. He looked down at the black stain that the assassin's blood had left on the deck; no amount of scrubbing could remove it. He put thoughts of the struggle out of his mind and picked up the bottle of wine and his gift to Eryca as he made for his door.

He crossed the hall and knocked on her door. When she opened it what he saw left him breathless! Eryca was stunning, resplendent in a silk gown of majestic purple with gold trim, a gold cord tied around her waist. The dress clung to her in the most tantalizing way, showing everything while showing nothing. Her blazing curls were loose, no cord, braid or circlet tried to restrain them. Enjoying the affect she was having on him she teased him about his reaction.

"Would you like to come in my Lord or should we dine in the corridor?"

"Forgive me my Lady but your beauty has caused me to take leave of my senses for the moment."

Smiling at his compliment Eryca stepped aside and motioned for him to enter her cabin.

"You are forgiven gentle Lord." She said with her impish grin.

"Thank you my Lady. I am sorry that your beauty so often leaves me unable to speak. You are truly an amazing creature." Brion said smiling at her and holding out the wine bottle. "This is for us to enjoy."

Taking the bottle from him she moved into his arms, the one place she now felt truly at peace. Looking up at his deep blue eyes she waited for her lover's kiss which he eagerly bestowed upon her.

"I am sorry if tease you Brion and I fear I will never tire of seeing your reaction to me. You make me feel as if I am the only woman in the world when you look at me that way."

"Eryca, you are the only woman in my world. No other maiden could capture my heart and enflame my senses the way that you do. You have truly cast loves' spell upon me."

"Well thank you my Lord. May I ask what it is that you hold in your other hand?" She asked looking behind her at the large paper wrapped bundle grasped in his hand.

Brion regretfully removed his arms from around Eryca and held out the bundle.

"I saw these growing in the branches overhanging the ship and they brought back such sweet memories that I had to climb the mast and retrieve them for you. To me they will always serve as a symbol of my undying love and devotion to you."

Gingerly Brion handed the bundle to Eryca which she opened to find a beautiful bouquet of wild honeysuckle flowers tied with a white ribbon. As she looked down at them Brion watched as a small tear left her eye and began to make its way down her rosy cheek. He stepped toward Eryca and gently gathered her into his arms. Reaching up he tenderly wiped the tear from her cheek and then, placing his curled finger under her chin, lifted her eyes to his.

"Thank you..." was all Eryca could manage to whisper so taken was she by his gift.

"There is no need to thank me my Lady Eryca. You are my great love and I will always cherish you and the memories we share. You are my honeysuckle and I love you with all that I have."

Eryca set her flowers on the table next to the wine and threw her arms around Brion's neck pulling him into a fiercely passionate kiss. They stood there for a long while kissing as only true lovers can. When their lips finally separated they looked deeply into each others' eyes.

"Thank you Brion. You truly are a kind, loving and wonderful man. If I am to be your honeysuckle then you are my knight." Her eyes were dark with passion as she looked at him, their shade a deep forest green.

"I will gladly be your knight my Eryca for I love you without measure and I will always protect you in all ways."

They kissed each again for long minutes and after exchanging even more sweet words of love and devotion they eventually sat down to eat. After enjoying their dinner they spent many hours talking and kissing long into the night.