A Royal Sacrifice Ch. 22

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
slyc_willie
slyc_willie
1,343 Followers

Benedict cursed under his breath. "I knew it," he hissed. "That bastard's appearance was just too convenient."

"We wrestled," continued Drest, his thoughts becoming more clear. He touched a faint cut on the side of his neck. "He said something to me . . . 'remember this later,' I believe, then he slit my throat. Or so I thought."

Benedict picked up the bladder that had fallen beside the Prince, sniffed it. "Pig's blood," he said. "When he cut you, he must have had some type of poison on the blade, to render you unconscious. I would not swear it, but it would make sense. So why would Dorr only pretend to kill you?"

Drest shook his head. "I do not know. But he may not be so much of an enemy after all."

The guardsmen had gathered in the room, staring at the Prince with relieved disbelief as the man got to his feet. But one of them noticed something else, a slip of fabric hanging from one of the thicker walls in the outer chamber.

"Perhaps," agreed Benedict grudgingly. "But I'll be damned if I'll trust the man."

Drest turned about as he stood, scanning the room with narrowed eyes. "I can only assume that Dorr faked my murder for the sake of the Queen. He must have left a clue regarding where she was taken."

"Eh, excuse me, Prince Drest," called one of the guardsmen. He stood beside the wall where the piece of fabric was attached. "Perhaps this might be the clue you mean?"

Drest approached, touching the strip of cloth. "It is from Evie's dress," he said, his heart fluttering. His fingers touched the wall, feeling, pushing. "There must be a hidden door. Ural's castle is filled with them. We must find it!"

"What is going on?" called a hard voice from the chamber door. All eyes turned as Sir John entered, left hand clutching the hilt of his sword.

"The wizard came for Evelyn," explained Benedict. He nodded to the guardsmen. "Blades for myself and the Prince," he ordered. His eyes settled upon John. "We are going after them."

John nodded grimly. "It is time to settle this."

Benedict's eyes narrowed. There was something different about the young knight. He had always seemed unsure of himself, reluctant to take the role he had been given. But that uncertainty and reluctance was now gone, replaced with a fierce resolve which radiated from him like the heat of a torch. For a moment, Benedict thought to inquire as to what had changed in the young man, but he reconsidered. Whatever has happened, he seems to have the strength he needs . . . .

"Indeed it is," he agreed.

"Found it!" exclaimed Drest, garnering the attention of those in the room. A section of the wall swung open silently, revealing a dark, dank passage composed of narrow steps which spiraled down between the walls.

"We cannot waste any time," John said, stepping forward and drawing his blade. He looked to the guardsmen, indicating two of them. "Give your weapons to the Prince and Chancellor, then get replacements from the armory." His eyes switched to the remaining pair. "You two will accompany us."

"Yes, sir," the men said together, drawing their swords.

"I shall take the lead," announced Drest, accepting the sword one of the guardsmen handed him. "But I want you behind me, John."

The knight nodded. "Whatever happens, that damn wizard dies."

***

Cedric could barely stand, yet the sight of his beloved Queen seemed to infuse him with strength. She struggled against the bandits who escorted her toward the X-shaped altar set in the middle of the cavern, grunting and cursing with futility.

A deep, friendly voice came from his right. "Conserve yourself, Cedric."

Cedric frowned, wincing in discomfort as he turned his head. The red-haired giant . . . what is his name? Eric? . . . looked upon him with stoic compassion. Cedric could just make out the chains that secured the larger man to a pair of posts recently driven into the rocky floor.

"Do not try to speak," Eric continued. "You're barely alive as it is."

Cedric could barely grunt in response. His weary eyes drifted back toward the altar as Evie was bound upon it, struggling in vain to resist the manacles that secured her wrists and ankles. She was left with her arms and legs spread widely, obscenely.

The bandits retreated, taking their places along the walls. Cedric counted a dozen of them, maybe more . . . or perhaps that was a function of his blurred double-vision.

An ominous chuckle filled the room, emanating, it seemed, from the chilly air. Bagdemagus approached the altar, Lord Door lagging behind. The rogue glanced quickly to Cedric and Eric, both of whom glared back. His eyes dipped.

"Ah, Evie, so nice to finally have you here," the wizard said as he stepped up beside the altar. Cool fingertips graced the Queen's bare arms.

Evelyn gave Bagdemagus a hateful look. "Go to Hell," she snapped, then spat.

Bagdemagus grinned. "Much better to bring Hell to me," he said, leaning over her. "For that is what our union will achieve. My immortality, my dominion. Secured through the rape of a virgin monarch . . . and the consumption of her pure heart."

"Never!" cried Evelyn, struggling. But she was powerless against the bonds.

"You know, I have always adored your fire, Evie," Bagdemagus went on, dragging his fingers down over the Queen's dress. "It will make your sacrifice that much more enjoyable."

Evelyn cried out as the wizard slipped the blade of a dagger under the strings of her bodice, slicing through them. "You will never take me," she declared, nudging the chain around her neck, frantically trying to capture it with her lips. But Bagdemagus was quick to stop her, snatching up the tiny, gem-like vial and snapping the chain.

"And what is this?" he asked, bemused. He lifted the device, inspecting it closely. "Poison, my Queen? How noble of you to sacrifice yourself for your kingdom." He tossed the chain over his shoulder. The vial shattered upon the ground with a faint hiss. "So much for that."

Evelyn huffed, all the hope and righteousness she had left apparently fleeing her body upon that single, heavy breath. Her head fell back upon the altar, her eyes staring up helplessly.

It can't happen like this! What cruel God would let the wizard win? And Drest . . . .

Oh, God . . . Drest, my love . . . .

"There, there, my sweet," Bagdemagus said in a patronizing voice, caressing Evelyn's sweaty brow. "I assume those tears are for your departed, would-be husband. Do not worry; you will be joining him soon enough. At least thank me for that."

Evelyn shuddered as she wept, the tears draining down along her cheeks, soaking into her hair and the wood of the altar beneath. She barely felt it as Bagdemagus ripped away her dress, bodice, and petticoats, casting the shredded garments aside. She did not care that she was left unabashedly nude upon an alter. Numbness consumed her. She could not even feel the cold.

"My, what a sweet prize you are, my dear," Bagdemagus said approvingly, his eyes wandering over the Queen's naked flesh. He settled his hand upon the soft mound of hair covering her sex, feeling the natural warmth beneath. His thumb graced the plump lips beneath, parting them. A knowing smile stretched his lips. "Yes, a sweet prize indeed."

***

The bandits within the room snickered crudely, ogling the nude monarch and her lewdly displayed charms. All their attention was focused upon the succulent sight of the virgin Queen. They did not notice Guy Dorr stepping up behind the two captives across the room.

"I have but one question for you," Guy whispered as he stood behind Eric.

The giant stiffened, surprised to hear the traitorous lord's voice. But he recovered from his surprise almost instantly. "And that is?" he whispered back.

"You once took your vows seriously," Guy said.

Eric frowned. "Yes, I did. Is that your question?"

Guy chuckled dryly. "No. The question is: do you still?"

The frown remained. Eric took a breath. "Had you asked me that three days ago, I would have said no."

"But now?"

Eric gritted his teeth as he watched Bagdemagus step between the Queen's thighs. "I doubted the existence of a loving God, once. But with evil such as that man, then God must exist. And it is through us that he fights evil. So, in answer to your question . . . yes, I take my vows seriously."

A gloved hand wrapped itself around Eric's own, pressing something cold and metallic into his palm. "Remember that this could have gone differently," Guy whispered.

Eric felt a surge of hope course through him as he realized he held a key. "Why help us now?" he asked.

But there was no response. Guy Dorr was gone, disappearing into the shadows.

***

Bagdemagus smoothed his hands along Evelyn's trembling thighs as he stood between them, his groin mere inches from hers. His steel-colored eyes took in her ravishing beauty with a sense of cruel glee. From his belt, he took a crooked-bladed dagger, touched the point to Evie's abdomen, just above the patch of downy hair. Gently, he dragged the point upward, stopping between her heaving breasts.

"I have waited nearly century for this, Evelyn," the wizard said. "Ever since your great-grandfather Maxwell stole from me what should have been mine."

Evelyn whimpered. "Just get it over with, you bastard," she sputtered through her tears.

The wizard grinned evilly. "Eager now, are you? I could almost say I am flattered."

Evie sniffled deeply, flashing her eyes open. She glared intently up at Bagdemagus' sneering face. "You will pay for this, some day, somehow. And your suffering will never end."

Bagdemagus cocked his head, his smile crooked and rakish. "I hope you don't mind waiting for the end of eternity to see it," he said. "After all, you are about to make me immortal."

Evelyn could not respond. There were no words left to speak, nothing she could do other than watch helplessly as the wizard straightened, hands falling to his breeches and the laces there.

The Queen closed her eyes, letting her head fall back in resignation. Oh, God, please let it be brief . . . .

Faint cries sounded from beyond the entrance to the cavern, accompanied by the ring of metal on metal. The sounds of battle.

Bagdemagus snapped his head up in alarm. "What the hell is that?" he yelled to his men. But just as the bandits turned toward the cavern's entrance, drawing their weapons, a man stumbled through, bloodied and broken, clad in the leather of a brigand. Ochre spilled from the man's mouth as he attempted to speak, but he faltered and collapsed to the ground before he could do so. A moment later, clad in the crimson coat that marked him as a regent of Ural, stepped Prince Drest.

Anger twisted the wizard's features. Not dead, he thought bitterly, then looked around quickly, searching for Guy Dorr. But the man was not to be found. Betrayed by the betrayer . . . .

"Evie!" cried Drest, holding his sword before him as the half-dozen bandits charged. Beside him appeared Sir John, wielding an equally-bloody blade.

Upon the table, hope soared through Evelyn's heart as she heard the voice of her beloved. She craned her neck, tilting her head, just barely able to catch a glimpse of him through the throng of rushing brigands. "Drest! You're alive!"

"Not for long!" growled Bagdemagus, stepping back. But just as he was about to draw his sword, a meaty hand gripped his shoulder. The wizard snapped his head about to see who would dare lay a hand upon him. His eyes flashed widely as he looked upon Eric's cocky face.

"I believe I may have something to say about that," Eric drawled, then hurled Bagdemagus backward, sending the wizard sailing through the air to land bodily upon the ground more than a dozen paces back.

"Drest! John!" he bellowed, glancing back briefly as the Prince and knight, along with a pair of guardsman and the aged Benedict, made quick work of the unprepared bandits. "Get the Queen out of here! The wizard has more men, and they are bound to come!"

John slashed his way through a pair of brigands with two quick and deadly blows, leaving them to collapse behind him as he strode forward. His eyes were dark as he focused on the wizard, scrambling to his feet beyond Eric. "Just one thing, first," he declared gravely.

"No," Eric said firmly, placing his hand upon his friend's chest. "The Queen is most important now, and we cannot fight the wizard and his men at once. Go. I will hold the Spectre back."

John stared into the giant's face. "You cannot defeat him alone."

Eric nodded grimly and held up an iron key. "But I will buy you time. Give me your sword."

John started to speak, glancing quickly past his best friend to the wizard, who sneered evilly, drawing his own blade. Begrudgingly, John handed the sword over, taking the key at the same time. "I will avenge you," he whispered, struggling to keep his emotions in check.

Eric nodded once more. "Yes, you will." So saying, he turned to face the wizard. "You and I, Bagdemagus."

The wizard grinned. "Such heroics," he quipped disdainfully, then rushed to meet Eric's charge.

***

"What is going on?" cried Muriel, clutching her skirts in hand as she ran along the hallway toward the entrance to the dungeons. Every Royal Guardsman in the castle, it seemed, lined the halls, clad in leather hauberks, clutching swords at the ready. Some held bows instead, with arrows knocked.

"Lady Muriel, this is no place for you," responded a guardsman. "The Prince and Sir John have gone to rescue the Queen. That wily bastard Bagdemagus has been hiding in the dungeons all this time."

"What!" Muriel slapped a hand to her breast in astonishment. "Where is the Chancellor?"

The guardsman's face soured. "He is with them, as well."

Muriel gasped, covering her mouth. "Oh, my sweet Benny," she muttered fearfully.

"They come!" called a voice from below. "They have the Queen!"

Muriel sputtered happily. "Oh, thank the stars and God! Quickly, quickly!" She beckoned desperately with her arms, watching as Evelyn appeared, surrounded by guardsmen. The Queen wore naught but a guardsman's coat.

"Evie!" cried the handmaiden, accepting Evelyn into her arms. Drest, Sir John, and Benedict quickly appeared, as well as a bloodied and weary Sir Cedric, helped along by guardsmen.

The Prince barked orders like a general. "We've sealed the dungeon door, but it will not hold for long," he said loudly, for all to hear. "Everyone to the throne room; we will hold them there. 'Tis the only chamber large enough."

"'Them?'" queried Muriel, holding Evelyn tight. The girl Queen shuddered against her.

"Bagdemagus has an army of brigands and murderers," said Sir John, peripherally watching as a stumbling Cedric was helped down the corridor. "They will be here shortly. Now, go! Get Evie to the throne room! We will protect her with numbers!"

Muriel hesitated only as long as it took for her to meet Benedict's gaze and receive a short, but encouraging, nod from him. She suppressed a smile of gladness upon seeing her love, and satisfied that he was well, focused her attention on the Queen.

Thunderous pounding sounded from the dungeons beneath. John and Drest stood at the top of the landing, staring down along the stairs to the heavy oaken door below. Behind them the guardsmen were already retreating, following the Prince's orders.

"At least Eric bought us some time," said Drest.

The dungeon door shuddered again beneath what sounded like the impact of a battering ram.

Sir John nodded. "Another life to avenge," he said. He faced the Prince. "The wizard has many to answer for."

Drest nodded, then managed a smile. "We will have to have a drink, later."

John could not help but smirk at the Prince's optimism. "Aye. An entire cask."

"I am looking forward to it."

"Just don't get yourself killed."

Drest winked. "You, neither."

***

The guardsmen had just settled into defensive formation, swords extended before them, facing the broad double doors to the massive throne room, when the mad rush of battle-frenzied voices filled the halls outside. Behind the line of men stood Drest and John. Archers leaned out from the balconies above, arrows trained upon the door.

And upon the dais which supported the throne itself crouched Evelyn and Muriel, holding each other, anxious eyes looking over the heads of the guardsmen.

"They're willing to die for me," whispered the Queen, her body trembling. So much emotion, so much pain and sorrow. In a matter of moments, she knew, one way or the other, it would all be over.

"That is their duty, Evie," Muriel responded, petting her regent's hair. "Mine, as well."

Evelyn sniffled, hearing the cacophony in the halls as it grew louder and louder. "I'm not worthy of that."

Muriel gripped the young woman's shoulders and forced Evelyn to look up at her. "No more of that," she said sternly. "You are the Queen. The duty of everyone in this room is to die for you."

"And what is my duty?" queried Evelyn.

"To give them a reason to do so. And that, you have done. Now stop blubbering and be a Queen!"

Evelyn sniffed, one last time, drawing back the tears. Bravely, she nodded. "I will."

"You will?"

Evelyn took a breath, steeling herself. "I am."

Muriel smiled. "That is what I thought."

The throne room doors shuddered violently, mad voices beyond crying for blood.

"Ready, men!" bellowed John.

"AYE!" The valiant response of the guardsmen echoed in the chamber.

"Give them everything!" shouted Drest.

"AYE!"

Evelyn stood before her throne, briefly glancing to Cedric, propped against one of the pillars nearby, with Benedict standing guard. Only the shallow rise and fall of his chest indicated he still lived. So much pain, to so many I have loved, she thought.

Her eyes grew hard, and she watched the door as it shook again, splintering this time.

Their pain will not be in vain, she decided, then raised her voice for all to hear: "Spill the blood of any man who does not wear the colors of Vix!"

For a moment, all eyes turned back to fall upon her, and in that moment, guardsman, knight, and Prince all came to the same conclusion: There is our Queen. We will die to protect her.

As one, every man faced the door once more, and every man bellowed in unison.

"AYE!"

The doors splintered again, then shattered, falling inward before the horde of Bagdemagus' minions. Where and how he had recruited so many could not be fathomed. Nor did anyone bother to wonder at that moment, as two ranks of guardsmen faced the onslaught. The air became filled with shouts and curses, blood-curdling cries as steel bit into flesh. The first wave crashed against the wall of well-trained men, who slashed and stabbed with practiced precision.

But all too soon, the battle became a chaotic melee. The guardsmen were better trained, but outnumbered. The odds seemed more or less equal, but that was bound to change soon enough.

The archers in the balconies unleashed their arrows, striking down bandits as they rushed in to join their fellows. But the bandits bore crossbows of their own, and fired back. More than a few of the archers fell to the floor below, their weapons clattering across polished marble. Those left retreated, only to come down through the side doors to lend their steel to the brouhaha.

And through that chaotic sea of battle waded Bagdemagus, striding without care, avoided by all around him. Cloaked once more in his magic, no one saw him for the threat he was, instead moving around him without knowing they did so. But Evelyn saw, of course.

His eyes locked upon Evelyn as he approached, dragging the tip of his sword across the ground. The harsh, grating sound rose above the din, reaching the Queen's ears. Evelyn stood, staring back, suppressing her fear.

slyc_willie
slyc_willie
1,343 Followers