A Sentimental Heart Ch. 08-09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
totallyatease
totallyatease
1,029 Followers

He didn't answer immediately – and Miranda thought that he was going to refuse her... but in the end he sighed and his shoulders sagged.

"Thank you Miranda... I would really appreciate having you with me," he told her huskily.

Miranda was not the most assertive of people; she was placid and easy going, inclined to let others make decisions if she thought them more knowledgeable.

She was however calm in a crisis, and a soothing presence to the man sitting silently beside her.

She was an excellent driver and handled his sleek little convertible, confidently and casually and he was able to concentrate on his concern for his father... and his family.

She stopped at some traffic lights and her hand rested briefly on his thigh.

"I'm sure that your father will be okay Marcus... they are so good at treating strokes these days..." she tried to reassure him gently.

His hand covered hers for a moment in mute gratitude, but as the lights changed to green she had to put it back on the steering wheel, and try to ignore the warmth from his hand, which left her tingling for the rest of the journey.

**

They walked down the silent corridor, and entered a small square waiting room.

"Marcus!" Amanda cried out as she ran across to throw herself at him, and sob hysterically into his shirt. "God Marcus... I just didn't know what to do!"

As Marcus held his sobbing sister, in his comforting embrace, a tall elderly lady joined them.

She was slender to the point of being thin, with silver hair weaving through what would once have been a glorious head of raven locks.

Her eyes though red from weeping, were the same soft brown as Marcus's – and Miranda recognised the woman as being Marcus and Amanda's mother immediately.

"Marcus!" she exclaimed in a tightly controlled voice.

"Mother... I came as quickly as I could." He moved Amanda slightly so that he could embrace his parent as well.

"I know that you did... thank you." Miranda heard her murmur as she returned his hug gratefully

"Has there been any more word on how he's doing?"

His voice was as controlled his mother's and Miranda wanted to cry for them, since it seemed they were both determined not to, seemed to be determined to be strong!

"He's stable... the doctor will be out shortly to give us an update."

"Let's all sit down then."

Miranda followed the little group as they sat back down in the waiting area, and as she sat just a little apart from them, Amanda suddenly seemed to realise that she was there.

"Miranda!" she exclaimed in surprise. "It's good to see you... but why are you here?"

Miranda blushed awkwardly... she did not want to lie to anyone... and she didn't feel the need to lie to anyone... but this was hardly the place and the time to admit to having a relationship with Marcus...

"Miranda was kind enough to drive me here... she realised that I my concentration wasn't at its best so we both thought it would be safer if she drove." Marcus told his sister and his mother, expressionlessly.

"Oh," Amanda said vacantly, and then she opened her mouth to ask more questions, but was forestalled by her mother.

"That was very good of you my dear... I'm sure that we are all very grateful to you..." she smiled warmly. "And I would be grateful to my son if he would be good enough to introduce us to each other – rather than forcing us to skirt around each other awkwardly."

Her tone was light and teasing, but her eyes didn't quite match the tone, and Miranda's heart filled for them, and her eyes met hers full of sympathy and understanding.

"I'm sorry mother... this is Miranda Redmond she and her brother both work at 'Phillip's Pharmaceuticals' – with me."

"Ah yes her brother Peter..." Mrs Phillips nodded as she glanced sideways at her daughter. "Amanda has spoken of him... but not..."

"Miranda only joined us recently..." Marcus cut in, "and Amanda has only met her once or twice – I believe?"

Amanda nodded in acknowledgement, and any further conversation was cut off by the arrival of the doctor.

"Phillips family?" he asked quietly, and when they all nodded, he came and sat down next to Mrs Phillips and took one of her hands in his.

"I'm afraid that your husband is very ill Mrs Phillips... but he is stable and – although the next few hours could be critical... we think that he has a very good chance."

Miranda felt herself on an emotional rollercoaster as she listened with the rest of them to what he had to say.

The beginning of his sentence had her preparing for the worst... the middle of his sentence had her gulping back tears – but by the end she was actually daring to hope.

Mrs Phillips must have felt similar as she gulped back some tears, and gave a watery sort smile at the doctor.

"Thank you doctor... can we see him now?"

He patted her hand understandingly, and smiled at the group in general.

"The nurses are just making him... more comfortable... then you can go in... but no more than one or two at a time please."

He stood up and began to walk away, only turn back after a few steps. "A nurse will come and take you to him – in just a little while."

The three of them sat close together, and Miranda sat a little apart – not able to join them in their thoughts, but understanding of their feelings and wanting to be of any help that she could.

The nurse came out and smiled at them all. "If you'd like to follow me?"

The little trio looked at each other. "Amanda will you stay here with Miranda for a little while... I'll come back once I've seen how he is."

As mother and son both followed the nurse, Miranda moved closer to the other girl, and took her hand in a gesture of comfort.

"I'm certain that he'll be okay – given a little time," she murmured reassuringly.

Amanda's lip quivered, but she tried to emulate her mother and her brother and show a brave front.

"I'm sure that he will be too."

She smiled gratefully at Miranda, who did the same, whilst thinking silently to herself – that all this empty smiling that everyone was doing; wasn't actually fooling anyone – but they all did it any way!

The day ticked along, with Marcus and Amanda occasionally changing places, and Miranda either comforting whoever she was sitting with, or fetching cups of tea and coffee.

As the afternoon drifted into early evening, Marcus re-joined her, looking tired and drained as his sister left them; and he allowed his mask to slip.

"Thank you for staying with m...us," he said as he sank down next to her on the bench.

Miranda took his hand in hers and looked into his eyes for a moment.

"I'm worried for your mother," she told him quietly, not wanting to sound quite so blunt but unable to hedge around her concerns. "I've not seen her since she went in there hours ago... she must need... refreshments... sustenance... rest?"

She saw what little colour he had, drain from his face. "I was... so worried about dad... that I have to admit that I never really thought about it."

She squeezed his hand supportively. "Tell her... and Amanda that I'll drive them anywhere they need to go... I know that Amanda is still taking lessons, and I assume that your mother came in with your father... in the ambulance?"

Again the look he gave her, showed that he clearly hadn't given it any thought at all.

Impulsively he reached across to kiss her on the cheek. "Thank you Miranda... for staying... for... for everything."

They sat in silence for long moments, just waiting for Amanda to come back out, and once again Miranda offered support and comfort in the only way that she knew how. She took his hand in hers and gave it a gentle squeeze, and the look that he gave her told her it was enough, that he was grateful for the contact.

He saw Amanda walking back and went to meet her... to talk to her for a few minutes.

She nodded her head, and he hugged her and then walked back onto the ward.

Amanda came and sat down next to Miranda. "He's going to try and persuade mum to go home for a little while... to try and get some rest... he'll stay here with dad," she said after a moment.

"They'll probably tell you all to go home and get some rest... and come back tomorrow..." Miranda murmured absently as she glanced up at the clock on the wall and seeing that it was now past six o'clock.

Amanda looked at her thoughtfully. "That sounds like the voice of experience?"

Miranda opened her mouth to answer, but then just shrugged her shoulders. "I've been in something like this situation before... yes..."

"When your parents were killed?" her voice was soft and sympathetic, and somehow more mature than Miranda could ever remember her sounding before. "Peter told me a little about it... he said that you were wonderful then too..."

Miranda could feel the tears clawing at the back of her throat – and stood up thankfully as Marcus and his mother came back out.

Mrs Phillips looked tired and pale... but extremely composed as she smiled at Miranda gratefully.

"Marcus says that you will drive us home?"

"Yes of course Mrs Phillips."

"Thank you my dear... I need to take some tablets which in the panic I forgot to put in my bag..." she turned to look pointedly at her son. "But then if you wouldn't mind – I'd like to come back for a little while... if only to say goodnight to him..."

Miranda could see Marcus was about to say something... and so jumped in before he could.

"I'm sure that your husband will rest better if you do."

**

The drive to Mrs Phillips' home was a relatively short one, but since mother and daughter were silent for the entire ride, it gave Miranda time to dwell on that last look that Marcus shot her.

She had been following the two women from the hospital, when she turned back suddenly to find Marcus standing at the other end of the corridor – he must have followed them after saying goodbye to them all.

She opened her mouth to ask if he needed something more – but he just held up his hand as though to silence her.

For a moment they just stood staring at each other – as though they were the only two people left in the world...

"Miranda...?"

Amanda's hand on her arm and her questioning look drew her attention away for a moment – and when she looked back he was gone.

She was in love with Marcus – and that look had been one of... what?

Was she seeing more because that was what she wanted to see?

Was this just the heat of the moment with Marcus's father being so ill, and Marcus was just latching on to something... someone... anyone?

All she knew was that look, had set her heart racing and her hopes spiralling – and Miranda hoped very much that they would have the opportunity to talk... honestly and openly with each other... once things had settled down again... once his father was out of danger... soon... she hoped very much that they could talk – soon?

**

Marcus sat in the waiting room composing himself – before going to sit with his father again.

His feelings for Miranda were developing much too rapidly for his peace of mind... if she knew what he was thinking she would probably run a mile.

He looked at her and saw the whole package – he saw fifty years down the line with kids and grandkids and him and her old and grey and still as much in love as they were now...

"Idiot!" he exclaimed softly. "You can never get it right – can you?"

He stood up shaking his head at himself. Miranda was the most wonderful woman he'd ever met – she deserved better than him! She deserved someone who would put her first – always... and Marcus had never been renowned for that – he'd lost friends and lovers over the years, because of single-mindedness when a project caught his attention.

He had become a successful business man – had developed Phillips' because of his tenacity and tunnel vision.

He couldn't change what he was – and he knew that like the others... one day Miranda too would resent him for it... would leave him because of it.

He couldn't bear it – if she was to walk away from him too... would have to take steps to protect himself from that!

"It was just sex... nothing more... thank you for all your help... but it was just sex!"

He kept muttering it until he almost believed it – the next step was to get her to believe it!

totallyatease
totallyatease
1,029 Followers
12