A Sentimental Heart Ch. 10-11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
totallyatease
totallyatease
1,028 Followers

She also gathered that Amanda was talking to him about her father and her mother... and Marcus; but as he didn't wish to talk about Amanda then she couldn't very well ask about the rest of her family.

Her information therefore was mostly coming from any discussion she happened to overhear between Peter and Marcus... and any offhand comments, which Peter may have given.

"He's told me a little, but since he's not comfortable discussing you and your family..." she shrugged her shoulders.

"Well then... my father is doing very well thank you Miranda -- in fact the doctors are contemplating allowing him to come home, at some point next week," Marcus told her in a quiet, painfully polite voice -- that just grated along her fragile nerve ends.

"Will you hire a nurse -- do you think... to help your mum..."

His eyes glinted with some emotion, and Miranda's voice trailed off.

"I never really thought... yes... yes that might well be the answer..." he murmured thoughtfully, he looked away for a moment before fixing her with his dark eyes again. "I came in to have a word with Peter, but since he's not here..."

"He's just popped out for some lunch," Miranda cut in. "He should be back any minute now... I could make a coffee for you -- if you can spare the time?"

Miranda blushed at how pathetically eager she was for his company -- how pathetic she must sound to Marcus.

"Thank you Miranda," he laughed suddenly and it made her jump, it sounded so... forced. "I keep saying this to you -- but it is the simple truth, you are very kind."

By the time she came back with the two steaming mugs, Peter was back as well, and the two men were deep in discussions about something or other to do with the company.

Miranda handed Marcus one cup and then gave hers to Peter.

"I'll just go and make a fresh one for myself," she excused herself quietly.

She fled the room and the opportunity to sit and stare adoringly across at Marcus -- or suffering the pains of being ignored by him.

She hung out in the small kitchenette instead, sipping at her coffee -- and waiting for Marcus to go striding by.

She was just rinsing out her mug when the telltale shadow fell.

It slowed and came to a halt, and she turned around to find him staring at her, and standing much to close for comfort.

"I shall be coming in to work as normal on Monday," he said formally, "and with Peter back as well, you'll be free to return to your own office... your own desk."

"Very well, Marcus," she said quietly -- not allowing any emotion to show through.

"I'm on my way to the hospital now, so..." she really wished that he didn't feel so uncomfortable around her -- but he obviously did!

She opened her mouth to say something, but found herself sick of mouthing the same old platitudes.

"Don't forget to look after yourself as well, Marcus -- don't push yourself too hard," she advised instead.

His smile was slightly mocking. "I won't Miranda..." he hesitated as though he wanted to say something, but was fighting the need; before finally sighing with what sounded like frustration. "I'll be off then... goodbye."

"Goodbye Marcus... I..." he had gone before she could say the foolish words she had been about to say.

She could just see how it was going to be between them from now on, and after their intimacy -- their closeness, Miranda was not sure that she could deal with Marcus treating her like some -- casual employee.

"Yes it's definitely time to get another job!" she muttered as she turned back to the sink.

**

"I think that we should hire a private nurse," Marcus announced suddenly on the following Monday morning, he was dressed in a smart suit and after dropping his mother off at the hospital, and popping in to say hello to his father -- he planned to return to work.

His mother looked across the breakfast table at him in surprise. "I... don't know Marcus..." she began hesitantly, "I think... that I'd rather nurse him myself..."

He stretched out his hand to pat hers, as he smiled at her reassuringly. "I know mum... and there is no reason why you can't help... but don't you think that dad would have a better chance of a full recovery -- if he was nursed by a professional?"

A tear trickled down her cheek. "Well if you think that it would be for the best... but won't it be frightfully expensive?"

Marcus gave a little sigh. "It's not like we can't afford it -- and it won't be for ever... shouldn't even be for very long really -- if his nursing is done properly... I contacted a private nursing agency yesterday and explained our needs... and they think that two nurses on a split part time shift each would be beneficial..."

"Two strangers -- coming into our home?"

"Two qualified professionals -- coming in to help dad make the best recovery that he can," Marcus corrected.

His mother thought about it for a moment -- as she thought of her once vibrant and strong husband -- now a shell of his former self. "I'd very much like to get my husband back," she whispered tearfully.

They sat for a while in silence -- each of them thinking their own thoughts.

It was as they were sipping their coffee, that his mum suddenly gave another sigh, and then looked across at him purposefully.

"Your young lady... Miranda isn't it..."

"She's hardly my young lady!" Marcus cut in as the colour flared across his cheekbones, clearly showing his discomfort to his observant parent.

"Well any way, she was very helpful to us... to me... and well... I'd like to invite her over for dinner one evening -- to say thank you to her properly..." as her son opened his mouth as though to argue with her, she continued determinedly. "See to it for me please Marcus... when you go into work today."

He hesitated for a moment and she sipped contentedly at her coffee, as though the discussion was at an end.

"Very well mother."

She hid her smile behind her cup, he sounded just as he had when he was a child; doing something because he'd been told to do it -- but not because he particularly wanted to do it.

His tone just oozed reluctance, and she thought that it was a little excessive -- since she hadn't told him that he had to be there...

"I think that dinner with just the two of us might be nice..." she murmured thoughtfully, "I could find out a little more about... that brother of hers -- since Amanda seems to have such an interest in him."

*

Miranda had been sat at her desk for over an hour when Marcus came breezing in.

"What no Mrs. Rogers yet?" he asked as he glanced across at the empty desk.

Miranda shrugged her shoulders lightly. "Oh, I'm sure that she'll be in before long, did you need her for something?" she asked politely.

He glanced over his shoulder before walking fully into the room.

"Well, as a matter of fact I wanted to have a quick word with you..."

"Oh?" who would have known from her cool expression, that her heartbeat had just gone into orbit?

"Yes... I've a message from my mother actually... she would like to invite you over to dinner one evening -- as a thank you for all that you did the other day."

"Well... that's very kind of her -- but it really isn't necessary..." she began doubtfully.

Marcus held out his hands. "I'm just the messenger here Miranda -- and the only message that I'm expected to take back is... which evening is best for you?"

"Well, in that case... how about tomorrow?"

Marcus nodded his head in agreement. "That sounds perfect, now... how will you get there?"

Miranda dismissed her empty purse as she smiled up at him in reassurance, "Oh I can get a taxi easily enough."

"Very well then, I'll inform my mother and tell her to expect you about six thirty?"

His eyebrow went up in casually enquiry, and Miranda thought of the rush to be; home, changed and on his mum's doorstep for six thirty...

"I'll be there," she promised lightly.

"Excellent,"

Mrs Rogers came trudging into the room at that moment and Marcus turned to address her.

"Good morning Mrs Rogers -- it's good to have you back."

**

It was a scramble to get there, but Miranda found herself on Mrs Phillips doorstep at bang on half past six.

"Ah there you are!" Mrs Phillips declared warmly as she pulled the door open.

It was a little bit awkward to start with -- but Mrs Phillips was every inch the perfect hostess, and the food that she served up was mouth wateringly delicious... and a couple of glasses of wine helped to relax Miranda and loosen her tongue...

"So it's just been you and your brother for the last few years?" Mrs Phillips murmured sympathetically. "That must have been very difficult for you -- as the older sister?"

Miranda shrugged her shoulders with a little smile. "Peter is a grown man -- and more than able to take care of himself..."

"Now -- maybe... but five years ago?"

"He was always a responsible sort of person -- but it was a horrible time for both of us..."

Mrs Phillips was a warm and soothing hostess -- and under her gentle but persistent promptings -- Miranda found herself telling her -- more than she perhaps wanted to. She was also sly enough to allow snippets of Marcus's past to pop into their conversations...

"And there can't have been much opportunity for either of you to... how do you put it these days -- date?" she asked now as she deftly swung the topic back to Miranda and her brother.

Miranda's blush was still in her cheeks when Marcus walked in, and he couldn't help but think how beautiful she was.

"I was passing and so thought that I would see if you need a lift back home?" he explained lightly.

*

Miranda was silent beside him as she thought over some of the little titbits of information which Marcus's mother had 'let slip'.

Marcus glanced across at her thoughtful expression and gave a little sigh even as his attention remained fixed on his driving.

"I hope that my mother wasn't too... demanding?" he asked suddenly and Miranda blinked her way back to the present.

"No... Not at all... she was, very kind... very gracious towards me..."

"Yes... he agreed solemnly -- she's always like that... even when she pulling the information from you, she makes you feel like she's actually confiding in you!"

"Oh but she d..." Miranda cut off her heated reply abruptly, "I... I mean to say... that she didn't make me feel like that at all!"

He pulled up outside her house -- only to find it in darkness.

"What no Peter?" he asked glancing out of his car window.

"No... He's out with... friends and he won't be home until later -- he said."

Marcus felt a rush of adrenalin as he climbed out of the car and walked her to her front door.

All the time that she was fumbling through her purse Miranda was debating on whether or not to invite him inside.

She just knew for certain, that if he came inside then they would end up in bed together... and if she was to invite him in -- then he would take it as an invitation to make love to her.

She bit her lip as she thought about the job interview which she would be attending tomorrow... she'd seen the advert in the local job centre and had phoned up the company immediately.

The gentleman who she'd spoken to -- had heard of Phillip's Pharmaceuticals, and was eager to meet up with her for an interview.

She found her keys in her bag, and as she pulled them out she looked up at Marcus.

This could well be the last time that she would be alone with him...

"Would you like to come inside Marcus?" she asked hesitantly.

totallyatease
totallyatease
1,028 Followers
12