A Train Ride to - Love Ch 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
totallyatease
totallyatease
1,029 Followers

After thanking the nice lady politely, Maggie and Sarah left the offices of 'RCR & Matins and Associates'.

It was a bright day outside, and Sarah let out a huge sigh of relief as she felt the tension leave her, and her shoulders sagged.

"Look there's café over there," Maggie pointed. "Let's go and grab an early lunch; and you can tell me what you and the lovely Mr Reynolds were up to in that nice office of his!"

Maggie took hold of Sarah's arm, and marched her firmly over the road.

Sam leaned against his door and took several deep breathes. This thing, whatever it was, that was happening between him and Sarah was going way to fast... He desperately needed to get a grip before he could trust himself to see her again.

He prowled around his office, picking a book off the shelves and flicking through it. He would dump it down and move on to another. His agitation was getting worse, instead of better! He sat at his desk and pulled one of the folders from his in-tray.

The paperwork inside related to a meeting he had this afternoon and he had left it on his desk for the purpose of reading through it at this time; so that he would know what he was talking about when he met with the client.

There was a single sheet of paper on the top of the file; with the typed up notes he had made the week before; when the client had first been in contact. After looking at the paper for several minutes, without reading a single word, he slammed the folder shut and sat back in his chair.

He snatched up his telephone and dialled Sarah's mobile phone, and sat impatiently drumming his fingers on his desk.

A moment later, he heard her phone ringing in his ear and waited for her to talk to him.

It cut straight to the answering service, and he swore softly as he listened to the spiel of; 'please leave a message after the tone'.

"Sarah. It's Sam I'll see you tonight," he told her abruptly and slammed the phone down again.

Maggie went to get the food, while Sarah claimed a table for the two of them. As she sat down, her mobile started to beep at her, and she knew who it was - without even looking. She had only switched the thing back on a moment ago... as they had left Sam's office.

She looked at it, and it told her that the number was unknown. Hardly anyone knew her mobile number; and most certainly, she knew everyone who did have the number. She let it go to the answering service and dropped it back into her shoulder bag.

Maggie walked over carrying a tray with plates of food and cups of coffee on it.

She dumped it down on the table and sat down opposite Sarah - who reached for a plate of sandwiches, and took a bite that she did not want.

"So come on then... tell all." Maggie said through a mouth full of food.

"There's nothing to tell." Sarah mumbled evasively not quite meeting Maggie's eye.

Maggie laughed. "Oh! Come on!" she exclaimed. "I have NEVER seen you look so flustered around ANY guy before. You usually smile nicely; and then totally ignore them. And that dishy Mr Reynolds – well, cool and calm he absolutely was NOT!" She caught Sarah's eye and grinned as Sarah blushed guiltily.

She sat up in her chair; and looked straight across at Maggie defiantly.

"I'll tell you what..." she snapped crossly, "I'll tell you about my time with Mr Reynolds – if..." she said as Maggie's grin widened. "IF..." she repeated with her hand held up. "You tell me about your date with Pete last night; and why you didn't come home until well after midnight."

Maggie's grin faded and her eyes slid away evasively.

"Nothing to tell," she mumbled taking another bite from her sandwich and slouching down in her chair.

"Exactly!" Sarah exclaimed. "See, you don't want to tell me all you're guilty little secrets - do you?"

Maggie mumbled through her sandwich, swallowed and sat up straight again. "But you do admit that there is SOMETHING to tell?"

Sarah blushed again, and then retaliated.

"And you? Have you got something you need to get off your chest?" she challenged.

"Okay, okay I give in." Maggie held her hand up in surrender. "We've both got things we're not ready to talk about."

Sarah pulled out her phone and listened to her voice mail.

"A hint would be nice though." Maggie persisted as Sarah put her phone away a moment later.

She grinned at Maggie naughtily.

"Okay..." she said. "I've got a date with him tonight... and it's not our first date it's our second – but I did NOT know that he worked at that firm, and he had no idea that it was me coming in today, to assess their computer network."

Her grin widened as Maggie gulped on her hot coffee, and began to choke.

Sarah moved around and began to; unrepentantly thump her friend on the back.

"See what curiosity did to the cat," she murmured to Maggie as her coughing gradually subsided.

"Enough!" Maggie finally managed to gasp as Sarah continued to cheerfully, slap her on the back.

"So..." Sarah asked after a moment's silence. She moved back to her own seat and finished her lunch. "What about you and Pete? How did that go?"

Maggie sighed and looked at Sarah clearly feeling a little confused.

"Why is it?" she asked Sarah crossly. "Why is it that people have to go and change on you?"

Sarah patted her friends hand sympathetically.

"It's called growing up." Sarah philosophised. "Everyone has to grow up eventually. Nothing can stay the same for ever."

"Yes... but, did he have to grow up THAT much?" It was not a question - more of a complaint.

"Pete?"

"Pete!"

"Do you want to talk about it?" Sarah asked hesitantly.

Maggie looked at her friend for a long moment, and then her eyes slid away guiltily.

"Not much to tell really." She shrugged. "He came, he saw, he conquered - he dropped me off and left."

Sarah felt shocked. Her friend had only broken up with her previous boyfriend the morning before. Surely, she hadn't fallen straight into bed with Pete.

"Mags..." Sarah hesitated unsure what to say.

Maggie looked up and realised what she had led her friend to believe.

"Oh no!" she gasped. "No we didn't sleep together! No, it was nothing like that! It was just a few kisses – before he put a stop to it and bought me home." She trailed off looking down at her cup.

"But you wanted things to go further?" Sarah asked gently.

"No.... Yes, - maybe." Maggie looked up at her friend; clearly bewildered by the feelings she seemed to be developing for her childhood friend. "I don't know Sarah. This is Pete for crying out loud! Pete, who followed me through school... who was always hanging around? You know... PETE!" She held her hands out palms up - as if to emphasise the bewildering point.

"Are you going to see him again?"

"No." Maggie seemed sure about this. "He's off to America for six months... leaving in the morning. He said he just wanted to look me up before he went." Maggie's voice held a hint of regret and she let out a sigh.

Come on babes let's go and do some work." Sarah cajoled.

Maggie nodded and gave Sarah a tight little smile. "Okay," she sighed.

They both stood and left the café arm in arm.

totallyatease
totallyatease
1,029 Followers
12