A Voice of Sorrow Ch. 01

Story Info
The High Priest of Darkness
3.3k words
4.2
16.2k
00

Part 2 of the 4 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 07/21/2004
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic LiteroticaÂŽ experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter One: The Dark Priest

It was a stormy night when that dark traveler came to the town of Jashubilehem. Many of the children in the shelter clustered together as he swept into the main room and sat by the fire, the rain dripping off of his cloak. Little Mabel ran to the custodian and hid her face from the traveler as she covered her ears. As the custodian coaxed the little girl into two other of the children’s care, he stepped towards the man in the cloak and knelt beside him.

“Excuse me good sir, is there anything I can help you with?” asked the custodian as he knelt besides the shadow, placing one knee on the floor to balance himself. He was surprised slightly as the man turned to look at him with gently glowing eyes, the color of a clear blue sky. His skin was the deep red of the Kamali, a people that lived far from the forests of Jashubilehem.

“Well,” said the keeper, realizing who was here with him, “You must be tired. Please follow me and I will show you to a room.”

The man nodded and stood then followed the custodian down a hallway to some back rooms. As the custodian moved into a room he felt the shadows eyes on his back, studying his movements and strengths.

“This will be your room for the extent of your stay,” said the custodian as he motioned around the room, “It’s not the largest, but it should suit your purposes quite well.”

“Why is it that you help me sir?” asked the shadow in a quiet voice, “I am not one that is familiar to you, and you have no good reason to take me in.”

“Well, before I answer that, you may take off that shawl of yours. Its disguise does nothing for you in my presence,” replied the keeper.

The man started in surprise then raised his hands to take off his hood as he moved towards the window. After he had removed it and shook his light red hair loose, he turned back to the keeper and studied him once more. The custodian was a tall man with a look of wisdom far beyond his years, his green eyes showing a kindness deeper than anything ever seen. His hair was a light brown and his lips looked chiseled from stone as he stood near the cabinets.

“So good sir, why is it that you help me?” asked the man once more as he watched the custodian, “You don’t seem to be one that has difficulties very often.”

“My name is Shauol, and I am the keeper of this shelter. When I saw your red skin in the light it appeared to me that you had a very good reason to come here. And now that the air of this place is around you, I’ve seen many more things. Something is chasing you because you have a very important item to them. They injured you while trying to get this item from you. You’ve also been running for a very long time,” replied the keeper as he leaned against the wall.

The Kamali laughed gently as he stood with his back to the window and looked at Shauol. “Well Master Shauol, you have guessed right on all three. I’ve been traveling for a week now, with some unholy presence always right behind me. But, how did you know these things?”

“The scent of blood hangs heavy around you. You limp and hold your arm at an awkward angle. That is how I know you’re injured. You must have something of great importance on your person, because this is an incredible distance to travel in such a short time, and your sweat proves that you’ve been running from your hunters for quite a while. If it were not such an important item, they would have given up the chase already. The gifts of Observation do not come to one of little talent.”

“Most impressive sir,” said the man, “And yes, I have an item of extreme importance to them, and I’m very far from my home in the temples of Anathoth. I am the High Priest of the Children of Eternia, Savas. To my knowledge it is the agents of the Dark Lord that now chase me, seeking the Sacred Artifact that I bear. I know not why they want this Artifact, but I cannot let them take it. I was injured in a sword fight and was shot with an arrow while attempting to flee, and now I fear that they are using my blood to hunt me.”

“Well, this place is protected very well, by me, the children and a secret from long ago. The children and I are the main defenders when trouble arises, and as long as you stay here, you shall be safe. Hostility is not taken lightly here, and it will be removed quickly if necessary. You have the extension of my hospitality as long as your services are extended to me. The children cannot help me with everything,” said Shauol as he moved to some cupboards and opened one, removing a basin and filling it with water, “You can use this to wash your wounds, and these to bandage them,” he said as he moved to the other cupboard and removed some white cloths.

As the custodian moved back to the door, he stopped as the High Priest spoke once more, “I thank you for your hospitality. I hope nothing dangerous comes to you during my stay.”

Shauol smiled as he looked out the door, “Danger is already here…it only came because of you. If they wish to take you by force then they shall fail. If they know how to enter however, I can do nothing.”

Savas began to speak again but stopped as Shauol looked over his shoulder at him, “You should cleanse and bandage your wounds. Already they begin to fester and will soon become infected if they are not tended.”

The Kamali nodded and moved towards the basin as Shauol walked back out to the main room where the children sat clustered around Mabel. As he walked towards their group, Mabel jumped up and ran to him, waiting to be picked up. Shauol patted her on the head and said, “It’s all right Mabel. That man is a friend and will be staying with us for a little. I’d like you to help me take care of him please.”

Mabel nodded and sniffed as the custodian turned to the two children that had been taking care of her, “Fione, Phillos, please come with me. I need your help with something.” The two children nodded as he stood then turned towards the main door, motioning them to follow. As he opened the door and moved outside, he saw a group of about fifty men standing outside in the rain, with one man sitting on a horse. As Shauol stepped under the awning of the door, he pushed the two children behind him and watched as the man on the horse dismounted and moved to stand a few feet from him.

As Shauol sized up the man that stood in front of him he realized his stature. He was a full head taller than the custodian, and was encased in deep red armor, almost as if it had been dipped in blood. On his shoulders he wore heavy shoulder pads the color of the ocean, most likely to signify his rank. After he looked back up to his face he rasped in a low hiss, “We have seen what we seek enter this place. Give it to us.”

“This is an Inn and is here for the protection of any who wish it. If you wish to peacefully take whatever it is that has come here, then you are more than welcome to enter. However, if it is hostile intentions that you bring, then you shall be resisted,” Shauol said as he smiled and held his arms behind his back, seeking some form of life behind the helm.

The rider’s breath rasped as he hissed once more, “The thing that has entered here is prey given to us from a Master that cannot be defied. We have hunted it this long, and nothing will stand in our way. We will take what is ours.”

The dark shadow took a threatening step towards Shauol but paused as the rain suddenly stopped and the skin across the keepers face rippled. A low growl escaped from Shauol’s throat as he warned once more, “Turn aside. Hostility is not welcome and any who wish to take this place by force shall be repelled by a power that none can shatter.”

The man’s breath hissed once more as he raised his right hand to his helm and removed the faceplate, and as a puff of air escaped, his face shown, revealing a dark and sunken face. Shauol saw that he stood in the presence of an Unholy Spectre, a minion of the Dark Lord. The skin across his face rippled once more as he growled deep in his throat, crouching slightly. The Spectre responded by crouching as well, the muscles of his body evident even through his armor.

The rain had stopped again as the two large figures crouched there. Suddenly, the Spectre lunged towards Shauol with an evil hiss, while his men began to run towards the shelter. Shauol grappled with the Spectre as he yelled, “Fione! Phillos! Now!”

The two children who had been quietly hiding stepped from behind Shauol and laced their hands together, water beginning to swirl around them. Every last drop of water in the area was absorbed into a massive shield that they created around themselves, until both children were hidden by a massive ball of water. Shauol growled once more as half of his body morphed into something half-man, half-wolf.

The Spectre roared in surprise and hatred as the figure in front of it rose to its height and mass, then turned its head to bellow for assistance. Instead, what it saw was a wall of water come smashing down upon its men, then it changed into a figure of water, armed with a hammer, and a pack of wolves that continued to batter its troops.

It hissed in surprise as Shauol charged it, pushing his shoulder deep into its stomach. As he stepped aside, it fell to the ground and heaved up a dark liquid that ate away at the ground. As Shauol morphed back to his normal form he knelt beside the Spectre and placed a strong hand on its back. Looking down on the being in front of him, his muscles tensed, he pulled the Spectre to his knees and asked, “Now my friend, perhaps you’d like to tell me your name. I just might let you go.”

The Spectre hissed once more and coughed up more of the dark liquid before finally speaking in a low rasp, “I am Hephasto the Scourge. I seek the High Priest of Darkness, Savas. I was ordered by the Dark Lord to hunt him and kill him if necessary. You’d have to kill me a thousand times before I tell you any more.”

Shauol sighed as he stood, and then hauled Hephasto to his feet and pushed him away from the shelter, “Well, I hope you’ve learned that none of your kind can ever enter this place. No matter the size of your army, the strength of your technologies and skill, you will always be repelled. And even after my life runs out, there will always be a Defender in this place.”

Hephasto gave an unholy scream as he moved backwards, then disappeared in a burst of flame that burned the ground. As Shauol sighed and shook his head, he turned around and looked at Fione and Phillos. They stood facing each other near the door of the shelter, the hands still linked together. He smiled as he moved towards them and gently placed his hands on their shoulders, slightly startling them. The two children looked up at him then released their left hands, standing together with their right hand still linked.

“Fione would like to know if she did well,” said Phillos in his soft voice. Shauol smiled as he knelt and ruffled the two children’s hair, “Yes, you did very well Fione. Phillos, you also did very well. Your skills are increasing. I’m very impressed.”

Shauol smiled and lifted Fione onto his shoulder and took Phillos by the hand as he began walking back into the shelter and said, “Well, poor little Mabel must be very frightened. We should go see how she’s doing.”

As they entered the shelter, Shauol put Fione down and knelt as Mabel came running to him, leaping into his arms and hugging him around his neck. He smiled and stood with her still in his arms as Savas walked towards him. Savas was now clad in a light brown, sleeveless tunic and light brown pants. His left arm was bandaged just above the elbow, and he limped slightly from the wound on his right leg. As he reached Shauol he smiled and said, “You and your children are amazing Master Shauol! Thank you for protecting me and allowing me to stay! I owe you much!”

“You are very welcome Savas. And please, call me Shauol. I only ask that you help me with some of my tasks, and perhaps some of the training of these children,” said the caretaker as he held Mabel, “These children are very friendly and helpful, but cannot help me with all of my tasks. I call them the Little Ones for now, and we take care of each other.”

The priest smiled as he eased himself to the floor with a wince of pain in his eyes then said, “Well Shauol, as long as I am welcome here, may I ask the honor of getting to know some of your children? This little one with you amazes me especially.”

Shauol laughed as he sat about five feet away from the priest, holding Mabel in his lap. “It’s entirely up to the children. Mabel? Would you like to get to know Savas a little better?”

Mabel looked up to Shauol and nodded, then covered her ears as she looked back towards the High Priest of Eternia, scooting back into Shauol’s arms as the priest’s eyes began to glow slightly brighter.

Smiling, Shauol looked towards Savas and said, “Mabel is the only one of her kind here. She’s very special to all of us, and we all look after her. I’d like to help her develop her powers, but unfortunately cannot because of her unique ability. If Mabel agrees, I’d like to ask you to help me train her.”

Savas’ eyes glowed brighter as he smiled and asked, “You’re the Child of Aztur aren’t you? I’ve never seen anyone that responded so well to me.”

Mabel looked back towards Savas and spoke in a small voice, “You know Mister Aztur?”

“Yes, I know him very well. M’lady serves him quite often. In fact I hold one of his Sacred Artifacts with me,” replied Savas, “Mabel? Would you mind taking your hands off your ears so I can try something please?”

Mabel nodded and slowly took her hands off her ears, gently folding them in her lap as Savas rubbed his chin and closed his eyes, softly humming to himself. After a few moments Mabel began to lean back towards Shauol and hum along, then began to laugh. She then laid her head against Shauol’s chest and closed her eyes, still humming along with Savas.

Savas reopened his glowing eyes and smiled at Mabel as he asked, “How do you feel now Mabel? Did that song feel familiar to you?”

Mabel smiled as she got up from Shauol’s lap and walked over to Savas, sitting back down and taking his large hand in both of hers. She began to gently draw symbols on his palm as she spoke softly, “Every night I hear that song and see these symbols. I can’t read them yet, but they always seem really pretty.”

The priest’s eyes glowed even more as he recognized the symbols on his hand. “Mabel, these are the writings of Aztur…they read ‘The Child of Aztur, Second born of the mediator of Light and Dark’. This means you’re very special. Not only to those around you, but to everyone in both of the Parallel Worlds.”

The child in front of him smiled once more and stood back up then hugged the surprised priest. “That must mean you’re my uncle then,” she said as she moved back to Shauol and kissed him on the cheek, “Everyone here is my family and I love them very much. But it’s my bed time now, and Shauol might get angry at me if I stay up any longer.”

Shauol smiled and kissed Mabel’s cheek, then stood and carried her to his room, where he tucked her under a large blanket and kissed her forehead. As he returned to the main room, the rest of the children moved past him to their respective rooms and shut the doors, leaving the main room devoid save Savas.

“You do know what this means don’t you Shauol? The fact that Mabel is the Child of Aztur can’t be ignored. While she’s quite safe here, you know she’ll grow up and want to wander the worlds, especially with the knowledge that I give her,” said Savas as Shauol sat in a chair next to fire.

“Yes, I know quite well what it means,” sighed Shauol as he poked at the fire, “Mabel has always been a very intelligent little girl, and I know she will grow up to be a fine young woman some day. I wish she would always stay here with me, but like so many others, she will leave me some day. Hopefully Fione and Phillos will accept Guardianship of her…if they do, I can rest easy knowing they protect her. If you haven’t guessed already, they are the two Children of the Copper Clan. And they are quite talented at that. While very few of their kind remain, I hope they will be able to bring their race back into its glory. If not, then they shall Guard Mabel with the bonds of family.”

Savas smiled and moved to sit in the chair next to the caretaker, “I shall teach her everything she needs to know. Hopefully she will never have to use some of the things I will teach her, but she will know them if she ever needs to. With your permission I will even teach her the history and Arts of Aztur, with the intention of using them only if necessary.”

“Please, teach her whatever you feel necessary. While you train her in the ways of Aztur, I can concentrate more on training Fione and Phillos for their Guardianship. I believe that they may need to strengthen their abilities even more, because something is happening that I cannot describe. I’m not old yet, and I can still feel the earth speaking to me of things that come, and things that shall be.”

“I shall do my best to train her properly Shauol. You have my promise in that. I’ve seen many Acolytes misuse the power of Aztur and become consumed by it, and I wish nothing of the sort to come upon Mabel. She’s too sweet a child and far too innocent to have something of that magnitude happen. I’ve felt her inherent ability already and am eager to train her, but I will be cautious so that you may rest easy,” said Savas as he stood and stretched, “Well, it is indeed getting late and we all must rest. I will begin training Mabel tomorrow if she wishes.”

“Sleep well Savas, High Priest of Eternia. I shall begin training Phillos and Fione more rigorously tomorrow as well, and in time, they will be ready to accept their first Guardianship. Please train Mabel well and with care, because now you are part of her family as well.”