A Week In The Mountains Ch. 25

Story Info
They all get horrible news.
3.6k words
4.59
44.2k
2
0

Part 25 of the 32 part series

Updated 10/26/2022
Created 08/22/2003
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
D.C. Roi
D.C. Roi
1,332 Followers

Passion in James County XIV: A Week In The Mountains

Neither Frankie nor Kay enjoyed their morning swim very much the next day. The fact that Kay's husband would be returning later in the day weighed heavily on both of their minds and put both of them in a lousy mood, which put a damper on their normal playfulness.

Kay kept remembering what happened the night before with a mixture of elation and sadness. Frankie told her that he was in love with her. It thrilled her to hear him admit that, but at the same time, it was the thing she'd feared most ever since her affair with him began. And, she admitted to herself, the problem wasn't just that Frankie was in love with her; the real problem was that she had fallen in love with him, too, as crazy as that might be. She wasn't looking forward to her husband's arrival, not one bit.

After their swim, they returned to the cabin and ate breakfast. Frankie went outside to do some work around the house while Kay went to her room.

"What am I going to do?" she thought as she got dressed. "I'm ruining Frankie's life. I...I can't keep doing that. I...I have to find some way to stop this before it gets any worse. How am I going to get out of this without hurting him any more than I already have?" She sat down oh her bed and laid back, looking up at the ceiling. "Do I really want to get out of my relationship with Frankie?" she found herself thinking, and was disturbed. "What is wrong with me?" she asked herself. "How stupid am I to think there's even a remote chance Frankie and I could have any kind of future." She closed her eyes. "I suppose I could divorce Stu," she mused as she laid there, trying to figure out a way out of the dilemma she found herself in. "Is...is that what I need to do? Is...is that what I want to do? Even if...if I did divorce Stu, how...how would Frankie and I manage to be together? Glen and Gloria would be furious if they knew what I'm doing. What...what would they do if...if I divorced Stu and then...?" She was sure her friendship with Gloria Bobar would come to a horrible end once the other woman learned what she and Frankie were doing. And Gloria was a good friend, one of the best friends Kay had. It looked like her only choice, despite how wonderful things were when she and Frankie were together, was to end their relationship. The problem was she didn't think she had the strength, or the will, to do that.

They had an early lunch, then Gloria left to pick up her husband and Mike Ervins. Sue was gone all morning, returned to eat lunch silently, and left almost immediately after lunch was finished. Kay had no doubt where her friend was spending the day and didn't really care. Frankie moped around and stayed away from her, a fact that caused her considerable distress. She had hoped they might be able to talk a little more about their relationship, and come to some kind of resolution.

Stu Tobin showed up about four in the afternoon.

"Hi, Stu," Kay said, when her husband walked into the house. She looked at him and realized something she'd never understood before. "I...I don't love him," she thought. "Maybe...maybe I...I never have." The realization shocked her.

"Hi, Kay," he said. "Look, we need to talk about something. It's...it's the reason I decided I had to come back up here."

Kay looked at her husband, saw the serious look on his face, and was concerned. "What's the matter, Stu?" she asked, "Is...is something wrong?" She couldn't imagine what it was that had him looking so upset. Had something gone wrong with his business?

"Ah...well..." her husband began. "It's...well...I..."

Frankie walked into the house, through the living room, and into the kitchen without saying anything to either Stu or Kay. Kay was very aware of the hurt look on the young man's face, and wished there were some way it didn't have to be there. Her mind was spinning with confusing feelings. She felt guilty because of what she and Frankie had done, but at the same time, it seemed as if she felt even more guilt about what she was sure she was doing to Frankie. "Somehow, some way, I have to figure out what I really want," she thought. "I can't let things keep going like this, I just can't. It's killing me and, even worse, its hurting Frankie."

"Is there some place where we can talk privately?" her husband asked. He looked angry that the young man had come in and interrupted them.

"Why don't we go up to my...our place?" Kay suggested, "You haven't seen it yet."

"Ah...yeah, I guess," Stu replied.

Kay couldn't understand what was going on. She had expected her husband to be excited about the fact that they now had a cabin at the lake, but he wasn't acting as if he was. In fact, he looked uncomfortable, as if something was weighing on his mind. She had no idea what it was he wanted to tell to her. They walked out of the cabin, got in his car, and he started driving up the road.

Frankie was close to tears when he heard Kay suggest that she and her husband should go up to the cabin she'd bought. It bothered him that she'd called it "their" place. "It isn't their place," he fumed. "It's our place. Goddamn Mr. Tobin, anyhow. I wish...I..." Tears welled up in his eyes and he began to sob. The idea that Kay and her husband would be sleeping together tonight was the most painful thought he'd ever had.

Stu said nothing during the short trip to the cabin Kay had just purchased. When they got there, they got out of the car, walked up onto the porch, and she let them in. When they were inside, she turned to her husband. "What do you think?" she asked.

Stu looked around quickly, then he turned back to his wife. "It's...ah...it's nice, Kay," he said. He took a deep breath. "I wish..."

Kay had no idea why her husband was acting the way he was. "You wish what?" she asked. "Stu, what's wrong? Why are you acting so strangely?"

Her husband flushed, turned, and walked to the kitchen window. He stood there for a long time, staring through it. Then he took a deep breath, held it, and let it out slowly. "Are...are you happy in our marriage, Kay?" he asked with his back to her. "Really happy?"

Kay was startled by her husband's question. "I...I don't know. I...I guess I am," she replied, even though she'd been asking herself that same question earlier that morning and knew she was far from happy in her marriage. "Why on earth are you asking me that, Stu?"

Her husband turned and looked at her with great sadness in his eyes. "I...I'm not happy, Kay," he said. "I...I haven't been happy for a long time."

"Oh," Kay replied, stunned. This was absolutely the last thing she ever expected to hear her husband say. She had no idea he was even remotely aware there were problems in their marriage. He'd certainly never given her any indication he knew there were problems. She was puzzled, hurt, and confused, but deep inside her, there was a tiny spark of elation, too.

"Look, Kay," her husband continued, "I...I'm not blaming you, because...because I...I don't think it's all your fault." He shrugged. "I'm not sure I've put a hundred percent into our relationship, either." He shrugged again. "Aw, hell, I know I haven't. Maybe...maybe neither of us has."

Kay wasn't sure how to respond, or even if she should. Why was Stu bringing this up now? What was the point of this conversation?

Stu looked at her with more sorrow in his eyes than she'd ever seen. "I've really been a pretty lousy husband, when I think about it," he said. "I know I've never been a very romantic guy, and I...well, I guess I'm not exactly a super-stud in bed, either. Maybe...maybe it's because I...because of the difference in our ages. I...I don't know."

Kay couldn't believe what Stu was saying. She opened her mouth to speak, but before she could, he started talking again.

"You don't have to tell me it's OK, because I know it isn't," he went on. "Our sex life hasn't been what it should have been for a long time." He looked at her with tears in his eyes, then he turned to the window again. "I...I thought there was something wrong with me. I...I went to a doctor, a specialist in stuff like that, and had a checkup."

"And..." Kay said. She had no idea her husband was aware of his deficiencies in bed, nor that he'd sought help for them.

Stu turned around again. "He said there's nothing wrong with me physically," he told her. "So I know that isn't the problem. Maybe...maybe if we...if we could have had kids..." He looked at Kay. "I...I know that's not your fault, but..." He shrugged.

"Stu, what are you getting at?" Kay asked. "I get the feeling all this is leading up to something. What is it? What are you trying to tell me?"

Her husband took a deep breath, looked at the floor, then he slowly raised his head and looked at her. "Kay, I...I...want a...I want a divorce," he said softly. "I...I don't think it's...it's fair to either of us to let this go on, do you?"

"Oh," Kay said. She was shaken. She never thought she'd hear those words from her husband. She felt her eyes filling with tears. "Is...is there someone...else? Is that why this has come up all of a sudden?"

Stu, looking terribly sad, nodded. "Yes, there is someone else," he said. "But that's not the reason I'm talking to you about this now. I...she...it isn't all that serious, not yet, anyhow. It's just that, this past week, when I was home alone, I realized I was a lot happier than..." He gazed at his wife. "Kay, I'm sorry, I'm not trying to hurt you," he said softly.

"Go on," Kay said.

"Look, Kay, I don't want this to be ugly," he continued, "I...I was hoping that..."

"You were hoping that I'd just say, 'Gee, Stu, sorry you're not happy, see you later, hope you have a good life,' is that it?" Kay snapped. Ashamed of her anger, and a little scared by it, she turned and walked into the living room and stared out through the large picture window at the lake for a long time. Anger continued to build inside her and she turned, intending to tear into her husband. But, when she turned around, her eye fell on a video lying next to the container it went in, on top of the cabinet where they were stored. "Frankie must have forgotten to put it away yesterday when we..." she thought.

The thought came to her without warning and when it did, all the anger she felt toward her husband vanished. After what she'd been doing with Frankie this week, she had no right to be angry with Stu if he wanted out of their marriage. "Isn't that what you were telling yourself you wanted this morning?" she found herself thinking. "Why is it so upsetting to hear him say he's willing to give you what you really want? He's giving you a way out of a marriage you don't want to be in, so why are you angry with him?"

She walked back into the kitchen where her husband stood looking anxious. "All right, Stu," she said softly. "If you want a divorce, you can have it. And I...I'm not going to contest it. I'm not even going to ask for alimony."

Stu's mouth dropped open and he stared at her like he was seeing her for the first time. "What?" he asked, his voice filled with disbelief.

Kay took a deep breath. "Stu, we've been together fifteen years, some of them were good, some of them were not so good," she said. "I can't tell you that it doesn't hurt to hear you say that you want out of our marriage. But if you believe you can find happiness with someone else, then I'm certainly not going to try and stop you. You're right, I'm not happy, either. I...I'm not sure it would do either of us any good to try to keep this marriage intact if we aren't happy. And...and I do care enough about you to want you to be happy." She took a deep breath. "I...I...have to admit that I've made some discoveries this week, too. I...I wonder if we ever really were in love. I...I'm not sure I was. I guess we've been friends, at least, and I really don't want to lose that part of our relationship. I don't know if we can still be friends after we get divorced, but I'd rather we weren't enemies."

"Kay, I..." Stu stammered. "I...I don't know what to say. I..."

"I'm not sure I want you to say anything, Stu," Kay replied. "Not right now, anyhow. I've got a lot of thinking to do. Would you take me back down to Bobar's please? I want to get my things. If you're going to stay tonight, I think it might be best if I stayed here in...in my place." "God, I can't wait to tell Frankie about this!" she thought, delight filling her. "He'll be so happy!"

"Yeah...I...I guess, so," Stu said. "I suppose I...we ought to let the others know what's going on, huh?"

"That's up to you, Stu," Kay said. "I suppose we should. They might wonder why I'm sleeping up here alone, don't you think?"

"Ah...yeah, I...I guess they might," Stu agreed.

"Well, if that's the case, then I think you'd better explain," she said.

They went out, got back in Stu's car, and headed back to Glen and Gloria's place.

"This sure changes things, doesn't it?" Kay thought as she rode next to Stu in the car enroute to Bobar's. "I guess Frankie's doesn't have to worry about my sleeping with Stu any more." A smile formed on her lips as her musings continued. "Actually, since it looks like I'm going to be sleeping at my place tonight, Frankie might be able to come up and spend the night with me for the first time!"

"What's that all about, I wonder?" Stu said, snapping his soon-to-be-ex-wife out of her very pleasant daydream.

Kay glanced up and saw a brown four-wheel-drive station wagon with a blue light bar on the roof and sheriff's department markings on the side turning into the Bobar driveway.

"I wonder why the sheriff's department is going to Glen and Gloria's?" Stu commented.

"Oh, God, I hope Frankie wasn't so upset about Stu coming back that he did something stupid!" Kay thought, her heart beginning to race. "Not now, not after what Stu just told me! Not when...when it looks like we actually might have a chance!"

Stu pulled into the driveway and parked, just as a young sheriff's deputy got out of the police vehicle. He stood next to his car, waiting for Stu and Kay to get out of theirs.

"What's wrong, officer?" Stu asked when he and Kay were out of the car.

"I'm Sergeant Greg Atkinson, James County Sheriff's Department," the officer said. "Are you folks family of the people who live here?"

"We...we're their friends, we were staying with them for the week," Kay said. "What...what's wrong, sergeant?"

"Is anyone home?" the officer asked.

Kay nodded. "Their son is, his name is Frankie," she said, "Will you please tell us what's going on?"

"I know Frankie," the officer said, looking pained. "My wife and I live a couple of doors up the road." He took a deep breath. "Maybe I ought to tell you folks first, then you can help me tell Frankie."

"Tell us what?" Stu asked.

"We...our office...we got a call from the State Patrol a little while ago..." Greg said. He paused and took a very deep breath before he continued. "They asked us to make the notification."

Cold fear gripped Kay's heart. The officer's somber appearance, and the halting way he was talking made her think that whatever he had to tell them wasn't good news. "A...a notification about what?" she asked.

"Glen and Gloria...Mr. and Mrs. Bobar..." Greg continued. His voice cracked and his eyes turned red and grew wet. "...they...they were...they were killed in...in a crash earlier this afternoon."

"No!" Kay cried. She felt faint and leaned against Stu's car to steady herself, then she felt arms around her and realized the officer had grabbed her. Stu, his face ashen, was leaning against a tree and tears were rolling down his cheeks.

"What...what happened?" Stu asked. "How...?"

"I...I don't know much," Greg said, "The patrol officer I talked to said a fully loaded log truck lost it's brakes, went out of control, couldn't make a curve, and rolled over on Glen's car. They figure there had to be nearly thirty tons of logs on the truck. The car was crushed almost flat and the two people in the front seat-Glen and Gloria-were dead at the scene. There was a man in the back seat..."

"M...Mike Ervins, he...he's another friend of ours," Kay said. "Where's Sue?" she thought. "My God! How are we going to tell her?"

"Is Mike all right?" Stu asked.

"The Patrol didn't have an identification on him, but the trooper I talked to said he is alive," Greg went on. "He was airlifted to the Jamestown Trauma Center, so I'd say he's in pretty tough shape."

"We...we have to go in and tell Frankie," Kay said. "I...I'm not sure what he's going to do. He...he's going to be devastated."

"Is there any other family?" Greg asked, "Someone we can call to come take care of him?"

Kay shook her head. "Glen and Gloria were both only children," she said, "Their parents have been dead for years. Gloria once told me neither she nor Glen had any family anywhere. That's...that's why Frankie was so important to them. They...they were looking forward to starting a huge extended family, they used to laugh..." She began sobbing and was unable to talk any more.

When Kay had calmed down, the three of them went inside.

Frankie was sitting in the living room, watching TV. "Hi, Greg," he said when he saw his friend and neighbor. "What are you doing here?" He was puzzled by how solemn Greg looked. He looked at Kay and saw that her eyes were red and damp, like she'd been crying. He looked over at her husband and saw that his face was white and that he looked like he'd been crying too. "What's wrong?" he asked, feeling frightened.

Kay walked over and sat down on the sofa next to the young man. "Frankie," she said, "Your...your parents, they...they..."

"They what?" Frankie asked, his voice cracking. He looked at Greg. "Greg, what's going on? How come you're here?"

Greg, tears rolling down his cheeks, looked at the young man. He knelt down in front of the sofa and took a deep breath. "Frankie, your folks were both killed in a car crash earlier today," he said. "I...I'm really sorry."

"Oh, God, no! No!! You've got to be wrong!!" Frankie screamed. He turned to Kay, who put her arms around him and held him while both of their bodies shook with the force of their sobs.

"Kay, where...where's Sue?" Stu asked. "We need to...to tell her. She needs to...to get down to the...the hospital in Jamestown to be with Mike."

"She...she..." Kay began, then she stopped. She wasn't sure she wanted Stu to find out what Sue had been doing the past few days. "I need to talk to the officer privately, Stu," she said. She looked at Greg. "Can I talk with you outside, sergeant?" she asked.

The officer looked almost as puzzled as Stu did. "Certainly," he replied.

"Frankie, I'll be right back," Kay said. "After I talk with the officer." She got up off the sofa, then she and Greg went outside. "If you live here, you must know Ronny Amos," she said.

"Yeah, I know him," Greg replied, looking none too pleased to hear the name.

"Well, without going into a lot of explanations, if you find him, you'll probably find Sue Ervins," Kay said. "I guess I'd look at his place first."

"Shit," Greg said. "OK, I'll go find her. Can somebody give her a ride to Jamestown once I do?" he asked.

"Stu...my husband...I'm sure he'll be happy to drive her back to Jamestown," Kay said. "I think I better stay here and take care of Frankie."

"OK, that sounds like a good idea," Greg said. "Like I said, my wife and I live a couple of cabins away. Abby...my wife...she's a nurse, if you need help with Frankie, give her a call. Here's my card, my home number's on the back."

"Thank you," Kay said. She put the card in her pocket, went back in the house, sat down on the sofa, and took Frankie, who was still sobbing, into her arms and held him.

"What was that all about?" Stu asked, looking confused.

"The sergeant has gone to get Sue," Kay said. "When he brings her back, you can drive her to Jamestown."

D.C. Roi
D.C. Roi
1,332 Followers
12