Adage of the Snow-Water Ch. 01

Story Info
New home, new friends, new enemies?
5.9k words
4.72
9.5k
17

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 12/22/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Alecrire
Alecrire
291 Followers

I'm really excited about this new series, developing my favourite characters and their stories. If you've not read the Lore, you might want to read that first to understand the characters and the storyline better.

***

As the most senior Ordinal and highest ranking Snow-Water Angel left in the world, Chióni knew that it was up to her to ensure that the frigid harshness of Archangel Yuki's reign ceased to continue.

It was time to bow down to her new Cardinal. In a matter of days, her bond with Archangel Aria would be permanently sealed through a trial of elements. Chióni had done it before as an Ordinal under the service of Archangel Yuki but this time it would be different.

Archangel Aria was unlike any other she had met before. There was no arrogance in her eyes, no demand for dominance or possession in her voice. Instead, the Water Cardinal with her whirlpool-like eyes looked at her not as inferior but as part of a family -part of their clan.

Chióni didn't know if that would make their bond stronger but she was ready to offer her service and life to this Archangel.

For the first time in her life, Chióni had been asked for her opinions and given a choice to consider being part of an entourage of Ordinals. Never had Chióni expected an Archangel to ask for anything.

It was for that, that Chióni had taken it upon herself to fly back to Japan to Yuki's Snow Palace in search of remaining Snow-Water Angels who may have sought shelter amidst the chaos of Yuki's demise. But more importantly, Chióni had returned to search for Yuki's copy of the Lore of the Angels and to destroy the last remnants of the Snow Queen's legacy.

Walking past the beautifully sculpted ice pillars and glassy ballrooms, Chióni finally arrived at Yuki's personal quarters. She had never been past the frosted doors of this part of the palace before and for a moment, Chióni felt almost sad that she had to destroy such a fascinating piece of architecture.

Yuki's snow palace was built in the style of the old Japanese castles; atop a mountain but made with the strong foundation of ice and stone. Such heights had given them a bird's eye view of their surrounding and Chióni knew she was going to miss the cool morning breeze and the smell of cherry blossoms each spring. It was tempting to step into her own quarters for one last time, but Chióni was disciplined enough to put business before her emotions.

Keeping to her mission, she stepped into the forbidden quarters of Archangel Yuki and sought to find the Lore of the Angels as transcribed by a Water Angel.

In all honesty, Chióni had no idea what it would look like. For centuries, her clan had only access to that of the Snow/Ice form and she had never questioned the existence of another form of her element.

Beginning her search in the study, Chióni came across various building floor plans and geographical maps drawing out the boundaries held by the different Archangels. If Chióni didn't know better, it was likely some sinister plans for Yuki to infiltrate her enemies' lairs.

She spent nearly an hour there but there was nothing that looked remotely like an elemental book.

"Where would I hide something that I hate?" Chióni pondered for a moment. Maybe Yuki doesn't hate being a Water Angel, maybe she was just ashamed. Why? Chióni would never know and never would the world seeing that Yuki is no longer alive.

"Okay, if I wanted to hide something that I was embarrassed about..." Her thoughts brought her towards Yuki's room. "Yes... somewhere close enough for me to keep an eye on it."

At a glance, Yuki's room looked so peaceful with its white washed walls and powder snow blankets. But upon closer inspection, Chióni realised that there were chips here and there in the façade, as though Yuki was trying to conceal something in the walls.

Trailing her fingers across the glossy iced walls, Chióni prayed hard that it was indeed hidden behind them. Now and again, she would see patches of melting ice, looking like dripping candle wax frozen in time.

It was only when she reached the bed that Chióni noticed a small picture frame hung behind the bedpost.

Pushing the bed aside, she pulled up the frame and her eyes widened in surprise.

"The Matriarchs..." she whispered, tracing each face in attempts to commit their images to memory. These were the first Archangels created - each one in its element. There are only two of them remaining and the centuries have changed them so much. Here, they were fresh-faced, their wings all white and tender, like that of a new born. Sitting with their backs to each other, the sisters were all smiles as they posed for a family portrait.

Sighing, Chióni put the frame back where she found it. That was it. There was nowhere else in the palace that was private enough for Yuki to hide something.

Chióni was about to head back when it struck her. Of course! If an intruder were to enter her personal quarters, she would expect him or her to be of the six elemental clans. None of them would be able to find the book, naturally.

It would take a Water Angel to find the Water-Scribe's Lore.

Chióni didn't know how she was going to do that. Yes she had shed most of her icy exterior but she was no Water Angel as pure as Aria. She had none of the whirling passions that the Archangel displayed in her eyes nor the elegance and grace she held in her liquid wings and posture.

Keeping her new Archangel in mind, Chióni closed her eyes and started to imagine the room as a giant water tank, every inch filled with salty sea water.

Shutting off the sounds of the howling winds and the breeze on her skin, Chióni began to experience the silence and solitude that came with being underwater.

As she opened her eyes, she saw that the room was no longer white but washed with a light blue hue and that's when she saw it.

The chips in the ice that she had seen earlier were now deep pockets of water keeping small trinkets afloat. To Chióni, they looked like random objects - a small comb, a miniature jar, a fish scale.

But it was the frame that caught her attention for it was glowing bright, like an object catching sunlight underwater.

Moving closer, she picked it up and saw that the canvas appeared almost liquid. Experimenting, Chióni placed a finger onto the picture and almost gave a shout of surprise when it went right through!

This had to be it.

Plunging her hand into the frame, Chióni felt her fingers brush against a hard, smooth and cold object. Gripping the edges, she pulled it towards her, out of the frame.

And immediately, the blue hue disappeared, leaving the room once more in its cold whiteness.

***

The flight southwards warmed her up considerably from the chill she'd experience up in Yuki's snow palace. As soon as she landed on the sandy shores of their temporary home, Chióni sought out her Archangel.

"Cardinal," she greeted; ignoring the proud peacock standing slightly behind Aria. "I have found something and I hope this may be of great value to you."

On her knees, she stretched her hands forward as offering to her Archangel and was incredibly pissed when a masculine scent approached her instead.

"Cardinal, if you will. Let me see that." Lavender wings brushed against her fingertips as the Lore was plucked away from her. How dare he!

Chióni watched as the offending Light Angel brought the cube of ice against the light, as though he had a right to touch such an heirloom.

Archangel Aria however, didn't seem disconcerted. Instead, she smiled as he passed the Lore to her.

"I don't think it's the kind of ice that melts under heat Lucian. Thank you for trying."

Narrowing her eyes, Chióni glared at him. Did he think he was so special that he could undo a very powerful contraption set by an Archangel? Such arrogance!

Chióni had heard about him. She knew he used to be Archangel Zilarrezko's Ordinal before he changed allegiance to another -typical male behavior. She didn't like him. Such a spineless disloyal Angel shouldn't be allowed within an inch of her...

"Chióni." Aria's tone was gentle as she ushered her to her feet. "I am grateful that you have brought this to me. It is indeed of great value to all of us."

Aria smiled at both Angels in front of her. "And I am thankful that you have chosen to be under my service. As the most senior Ordinal, I hope you could help your fellow Ordinals adjust to life here."

Her ice-carved feathers ruffled slightly. "Fellow Ordinals?"

"Yes, this is Lucian," she introduced. "And you have met my sister Kissa. She will reach pre-Cardinal level in a few years but I expect her to train well as an Ordinal first."

Chióni's first reaction was to protest against having a male in the Archangel's service but then she caught herself; fists clenched tight to remind her that this Light Angel had proved his loyalty to their Water Cardinal during the battle with Archangel Yuki a few days ago.

Still, she didn't have to like him -ever.

"I will personally take over their training Cardinal." A pause as her sky blue eyes flickered annoyingly at Lucian. Train with a male Angel? She'll kick him to the ground in two seconds flat.

He seemed to have picked up on her disgust for he fluttered his lashes annoyingly at her. Chióni was considering freezing his face when Aria interrupted her thoughts again.

"Chióni, do you know if there were any... Ordinals left?" From our clan, she wanted to add.

Chióni lowered her gaze; unsure of how to break the news. "I beg your forgiveness Cardinal for daring to make a suggestion."

"Nonsense! There is no need to say sorry before saying something to me. If you have an opinion say it."

Chióni was stunned. Yuki would have slapped them right across their faces for daring to even breathe in her space. "I... well, I think it is best we search for new Ordinals. Apart from Fleur, I am the only Ordinal left of our clan. I have not sensed any link between us anymore so I cannot be certain if she is still alive."

Though subtle, her words had reflected worry instead of sadness - something that Aria picked up. Storing it away, she took Chióni's hands and smiled.

***

It had been months since Kissa had seen her elder brother and she was truly looking forward to his visit. Ever since they started having wings, Angelo had been under the tutelage of Archangel Zilarrezko -living an ocean apart from her and their other siblings.

Her brother had chosen to stay in North America, a trainee Ordinal in the service of the Metal Archangel. They might have been born a year apart but they were as close as twins; almost inseparable as Leiha and Troy.

It had broken Aria's heart initially but Angelo had sweet talked his way, as always, and pacified her. After all, he had just turned twenty-one and would have left home to join the Valkyrie Cartel if they hadn't become Angels...

Angels -that was something Kissa was still getting used to. It wasn't just about wings and immortality. For her sister Aria, it came with responsibility and for her, there was loyalty.

Kissa was now twenty years old; an ambiguous stage straddling adolescence and adulthood -at least according to Aria. Nevertherless, her sister had ordained that she start training to be an Ordinal -not because they were sisters but because Kissa had the potential to be a Cardinal and the Archangel wanted to make sure she reached it.

As for the twins, they were beyond elated to find out that they could now fly -or hop around, depending on your point of view. Like two flying lemurs, they were always tumbling about, jumping from cupboard to table and onto every available place that was more than six feet high.

Chióni had been training all of them for the past six months but only Aria had managed to make any noticeable progress. Kissa wouldn't stoop to jumping off furniture but she had her own way of practicing -

She 'flew' underwater.

Chióni had said that wings were not just a pretty accessory but actual bone and muscles. Regular use and strength training would help increase its stamina for sustained flight. So Kissa decided that the best training was to battle the ocean currents, using her wings to keep her afloat instead of threading water with her legs.

The first few times, she had nearly drowned but she was getting better.

After all, her sister had built their entire fortress in the depths of the Pacific Ocean to remind them that their element was not one to be feared, control or to be tempered - it was simply to co-exist with.

That was her philosophy for building The Cove -as it was now called- amongst the life and deaths surrounding the countless sunken battle ships and aircrafts littering the bottom of the ocean.

Berths were salvaged to create new living and sleeping quarters while the galleys of these vessels were brought together to form the central kitchen.

Lucian had thought it austere to be living amidst a graveyard but the Water Angels had been ecstatic. Ocean life was abundant, hidden amongst the ruins and the wreckage provided a playing ground for them as the sought to explore possible hidden treasures -and the remote possibility of finding surviving Water Angels who had retreated into the pitch-black depths.

Kissa didn't think that was possible as those Water Angels would have had to adapt drastically to be able to live underwater for centuries. As far as history and the Lore was concerned, most Water Angels had submitted to the rule of the Snow Queen, either adopting the form of Snow Angels or relinquishing their wings to live as mortal Valkyries.

"Kissa! Angelo's here!" That was a running announcement from Leiha -literally -for she had jumped off the stair banister and dashed towards the open courtyard that led to the surface. Kissa barely saw flecks of gold and aquamarine before she was gone.

Kissa snapped her blue-tipped silver wings tight and flipped her navy hair back. She wanted to look presentable.

It had nothing to do with the accompanying Angel who was with Angelo.

Nothing.

***

Each time he came to Archangel Aria's home, Marcus would get the jitters and it had nothing to do with the five hour flight across the Pacific Ocean but everything to do with the shy Water Angel walking in her sister's shadow.

"Marcus, Angelo." Aria's greeting was polite but he had caught the excitement and happiness brimming just beneath the words. "I hope your journey has been well. Come."

Marcus watched as Kissa with her cascading navy hair wrapped an arm around Angelo while the twins plagued him with questions and begged for stories.

"Keep your eyes to yourself or I'll gorge them out."

Marcus swiftly turned his head towards the voice; guilt evident in his expression as he faced the senior Snow-Water Ordinal. Chióni with her pearly white skin and equally pale feathers had enraptured him on their first meeting -almost a year ago when Archangel Zilarrezko came to speak to the Snow-Water Cardinal then. Her wings were still like carved ice but each time the wind blew, he would see ripples.

Marcus decided in their subsequent meetings that despite the warmer climate of the new Water Archangel's palace, Chióni could freeze an entire room just by walking into it. If Anthony had a twin, Chióni would be it.

"You do not treasure your eyes it seems." Her azure eyes narrowed warily at him. "As expected of men." With a huff, she turned and walked away haughtily; leaving Marcus temporarily stunned.

"Don't worry Marcus. That's just the ice princess's way of giving you a warm welcome."

Marcus swore the sudden chill had dissipated and in its place stood a handsome lavender-winged Light Angel, radiating with smiles.

"Lucian, it's so good to see you."

His former co-Ordinal grinned. "How's our two lovebirds?" Marcus stiffened automatically making Lucian laugh. "I don't mean you! And please you two don't even qualify. I was talking about Anthony and Julia!"

"Oh them..." said Marcus, clearly relieved. "Good question. I hardly see them around nowadays."

"That's good..."

Frowning, Marcus turned to Lucian. "How is that good? They're supposed to be doing their duties instead of leaving me in charge of training Angelo..." At Lucian's amused look, he paused. "What's so funny?" he demanded.

Slapping a hand on the Metal Angel's shoulder, Lucian laughed, "You, my dear friend are blind. Come, we'd better join the welcome feast before my little minions ravish the plates clean."

***

The descent down the underwater tunnel into the main dining hall had been the toughest minutes of Kissa's life. She swore that the stomps of her feet thundered in the hallway and her weak unbalanced baby wings made her appear clumsy and pretty much immature.

Clenching her fist tightly was all she could do to prevent the inevitable flood of tears that were threatening to burst out of her dam of control any minute now...

The warm gentle hand on her shoulder startled her slightly.

"Chin up ma cherie. Deep breaths. It'll be fine." To give her a few seconds cover to gain composure, Lucian chose that moment to stretch out of his wings in a flamboyant display of his virility.

It pleased him to hear a disgruntled cough from the back of the group.

Leading the group into the dining hall, Lucian allowed his guests a few moments to admire the stunning construction of the room. Angelo hadn't been to The Cove since it was constructed and now, the young Ordinal was staring up in awe at the beauty of his element.

Water - the room was essentially a bubble within a marine tank. Ocean life bloomed beneath their feet, unaware and uninterested by the ministrations of the immortals.

His eyes trailed behind the twins as they scampered to the dining table - a beautiful sculpture of raw-cut ice -both fighting to seat beside their brother. Lifting each one at the cuff like two inseparable kittens, Angelo placed one on each of his side before turning to his sister.

"It's beautiful. I love it. I love everything about this place. It feels so..."

"Homely," whispered Aria, finishing his sentence. The Archangel was too in-tuned with her brother to know that despite the new machismo that he wanted to project, deep inside Angelo missed his family. Not wanting to dwell on the melancholic, Aria ordered them to tuck into the feast.

With familiar food warm in his belly, she slowly felt his mood lifting and saw from the twinkle of his eye that her annoying brat of a brother was back in full swing.

"So tell me, how's New York?"

Putting his fork down, Angelo looked up into the whirling pools of Aria's eyes and snorted. He knew her too well.

"He's fine Arreba. I'd say his feathers are quite rumpled -although I can never be sure beneath all that blinding metal sheen."

Angelo had barely managed to roll his eyes when the fork that had been set aside simply flew up and aimed perilously close to his forehead.

"No Marcus, that's fine," said Aria reassuringly but the Metal Ordinal had stood up. Gone was the shy and uncertain Angel.

"You may be in the presence of family but you do not speak ill of your Archangel nor do you speak rudely to another Cardinal in your presence."

Rising, Aria spread open her wings and rested one tip on the Metal Ordinal and the other on her brother. "That is enough. We shall speak about this separately because right now I don't want to waste the lovely dessert that Kissa has made. Now sit."

At the mention of her name, Kissa straightened her back; eyes cast onto her plate with her cheeks aflamed. Aria did that on purpose!

She could feel Marcus's gaze upon her, almost feel his breath across her cheek...

A kick. Hard on her shin.

"What's your problem?" Her palms banged slightly on the table as she stared hard at Angelo.

Alecrire
Alecrire
291 Followers
12