Addams Family Book 02 Ch. 03

Story Info
Gomez and Morticia are puzzled.
2.3k words
3.45
16.8k
6
0

Part 4 of the 4 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 08/12/2008
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You're right, Morticia," Gomez said as he ascended the stairway from below. "Wednesday is gone. She's not anywhere in the house. I've checked. I've searched every floor. I've even checked the caverns and tunnels below the playroom. Cousin Cackle says he hasn't seen her either."

"Wednesday is really missing?! On her wedding day?" Morticia observed.

"One of her bags is missing as well."

"Only one? Not all of them?"

"No, just a backpack. She must be traveling light," Gomez replied remembering all too well the mountain of luggage she had brought with her when she arrived home from the music academy.

"Oh, Gomez, you don't suppose that little imp spent the night in the attic guest room with her prometido?"

"And the backpack?" Gomez inquired.

"An overnight bag?" Morticia offered helpfully. "A young lady must keep certain items close at hand."

"Well, I don't believe she spent the night there, but then I can't be entirely certain. I went up to the attic and knocked on the guestroom door this morning but recieved no reply."

"Oh dear, do you suppose they've eloped, do you, Gomez?"

"That is a possibility, of course, but … without a word?"

"It's so unlike our Wednesday. On her wedding day, the flowers, all of the guests about to arrive. The wedding dress Adalberto's mother brought for her has been altered. It fits her perfectly."

"Si, Querida, but (shudder) who ever heard of a white wedding dress?!"

"Well, there certainly is no accounting for taste, and I will admit the color is hideous but still… the dress is, after all, an heirloom from Cousin Adalberto's branch of the Addams family. Besides which, Wednesday is the bride. This day, this whole wedding is all about her. She knows very well how much time and effort, not to mention how much money we have invested in this wedding. The aroma roast wildebeest is permeating the entire house."

Gomez smiled. "It does smell wonderful." He admitted. "Lurch has really outdone himself this time.

"The point is, everything is in readiness. Guests are beginning to arrive. How can we be expected to host a wedding without a bride? Do you really think Wednesday and Cousin Adalberto would just run off like this?"

"It is odd," her husband agreed.

"Even as a child when she ran way from home Wednesday was thoughtful enough to leave a note for us so we wouldn't worry… You don't suppose she's hiding under Pugsley's bed again, do you?"

He shook his head. "That's the first place I looked."

"Then she and Adalberto must have eloped. There's no other explanation."

"Those impetuous youngsters," Gomez shook his head and gazed at he floor as if searching for answers there.

As they were speaking a handsome, dark haired man appeared at the top of the mansion's central staircase.

"Cousin Adalberto," Gomez greeted him. "We didn't expect to see you here today. When we couldn't locate Wednesday this morning we were beginning to imagine that you two might have eloped during the night."

"Eloped? Lamentablemente, no," the young nobleman replied in a thick Castilian accent as he slowly descended the stair case. "There will be no elopement, primo Gomez. Nor will there be a wedding."

'No wedding?" Morticia asked. "What are you saying?"

"My bonita prometida Wednesday came to me last evening after everyone had retired for the night and informed me that she could not marry me."

"Oh, I am sorry, Cousin Adalberto," Gomez said.

"You are too kind. But do not concern yourselves, primo míos. It is for the best."

"Did she at least offer you a reason for calling off the wedding?" Morticia asked.

"Si," he replied. "Senorita Wednesday told me that she could not become my esposa as her heart belongs to another man. In light of this I had no choice but to release her from our compromiso."

"Did she happen to mention the name of the man she was in love with?" she asked.

"Alas, no, Prima Morticia, she did not."

"Did she at least say where she was going?"

"Going? Mi bonita Wednesday has gone away? She gave no indication when we spoke last evening that she was planning a trip."

Morticia took Gomez by the hand and led him into the conservatory after Cousin Adalberto had ascended the stairs once more. Both she and Gomez were unspeakably grateful that the young man was taking it upon himself to deliver the bad news of the sudden change in plans to his mother.

"Oh dear," Morticia said once the young man was out of ear shot. "The situation is worse than I thought."

"Worse? Whatever do you mean, Querida?"

"I was afraid something like this might happen when I stayed away in Washington for so long."

"I don't follow."

"Don't you see, Gomez? Our daughter had fallen in love with you."

"No, don't be silly. I … Do you really think so?"

"My dear husband, how could she help herself."

"But, Morticia. After all, she is our daughter."

"Yes, but she's also a woman. You know very well the effect you have on women, Bubbele. Even our own daughter is not immune to your animal magnetism."

" 'Bubbele!' Tish, you know what affect that word has on me," Gomez exclaimed as he grabbed hold of her arm and began kissing his way up from wrist to shoulder.

"Gomez," Morticia spoke calmly, "Wednesday now. Bubbele later."

"Wednesday? But today is Saturday."

"Wednesday! Our daughter, remember?"

"Oh yes," he replied reluctantly releasing her arm. "Wednesday, our daughter. Where were we?"

"Our daughter Wednesday is in love with you."

"But, Cara Mia …"

"Haven't you noticed how she's been moping around the house since my return from Washington? Pouting, sulking. Especially in the last few days. She's been even more gloomy than usual. Now, on the night before her wedding, she has broken her engagement and ran away. It can only be because she can no longer have you to herself."

"By George! Of course, Morticia. You must be right! Whatever will we do?"

The butler walked into the conservatory as their conversation hit a lull and stood there silently, a little apart. In his big hand he held an obviously ancient, well-worn carpetbag. The circles which shadowed his downcast eyes seemed even darker than usual.

Mrs. Addams glanced at him across the conservatory.

"What is it, Lurch?" she asked.

As Mr. Addams turned to look, he spotted the threadbare bag in Lurch's hand. "Where are you going with the suitcase, old man?"

Summoning up his resolve, the butler stood shook his head, groaning low in his throat.

"Come, come, Lurch," Gomez prompted. "If you have something to say, out with it."

"I … I resign," the butler said at last.

"Resign?" Morticia exclaimed. "I don't understand. What are you talking about?"

"I quit," he replied, then added, "Effective immediately."

"Quit? Why on earth would you want to leave us after all these years?" Gomez asked.

"What about all of our guests? We have relatives coming in from all over the world for Wednesday's wedding today. Do you really mean to leave us without domestic help at a time like this?" Morticia inquired.

"The wedding breakfast is in readiness." Lurch replied. "And the roast wildebeest and all of the other traditional wedding dishes have been prepared for the feast are being kept warm in the roasting oven."

"With a traditional orange in the wildebeest's mouth?"

"Of course, Mr. Addams."

"Lurch, what has come over you?" Asked Mrs. Addams.

Lurch groaned and shook his head sadly.

"Can you believe this, Morticia? The day has hardly begun and already it's just one shock after another. First Wednesday, now Lurch."

Mrs. Addams turned to look up at the towering butler. "Quitting? Has the entire world gone mad? You can't just quit, Lurch. You've been with us forever. How will we ever get along without you?"

"Besides," Gomez said. "If you don't give us the customary two weeks notice you will forfeit your pension."

"Won't be needing a pension," Lurch replied. Over the many years he had been employed by the family, the butler had been paid well. He had also spent very little of his salary. Between his savings and his investments, Lurch had, in fact, amassed a small fortune. Enough wealth to live on comfortably for the rest of his life and then some. Long ago Lurch had made arrangements that, were anything happened to him, his employer's only daughter would inherit all of his worldly possessions. Now that Wednesday was leaving his life forever Lurch hardly expected to live long enough to spend much of that fortune himself.

"No pension? What about references?"

"No references either," he groaned.

"Lurch," Morticia interjected, "you certainly can't mean to walk out on us while our little Wednesday is still missing?"

His head snapped up and he stared at Mrs. Addams in disbelief. "Wednesday is… missing?" he asked in his deep gravelly voice.

"Yes, apparently she broke off her engagement to cousin Adalberto last evening, then packed a bag and left sometime during the night."

Lurch continued to groan, shaking his head. "No-o-o-o-o..."

"Did she say anything to you yesterday that might indicate where she may have gone?" Gomez asked.

Not seeming to hear the question, Lurch emitted a deep rumbling sigh. "My fault!" he exclaimed dejectedly.

"Your fault?" Mrs. Addams asked. "What's your fault, Lurch?"

"Wednesday is gone … My fault."

"Why would you cause our daughter to leave, Lurch? I always thought you liked Wednesday."

"I do." His deep voice rumbled.

"What happened between you two that would cause Wednesday to run away from home?"

"She told me…"

"Yes, Lurch?" Morticia prompted.

"She told me…"

"Come on. Out with it, old man," said Gomez. "What did Wednesday tell you?"

"She said … she said she was … in love with me."

A stunned silence followed the towering butler's revelation. Gomez was the first to regain his voice. "In love? Did you hear that, Tish? Our little Wednesday is in love! And it's not with me! Well, congratulations, old man, I…"

Morticia gently laid a hand on her husband's arm and instantly Gomez fell silent. Pulling her husband aside Mrs. Addams spoke to him quietly. "Gomez, I don't think we are getting the entire picture here. Our Wednesday told Lurch that she was in love with him, but … is it possible that Lurch does not return our daughter's sentiments? You know what a playboy the man is."

Mr. Addams turned back toward the butler. "Is that true, Lurch? Do you feel the same way about our little Wednesday as she feels about you?" Gomez asked.

Lurch groaned.

"Come, Lurch," Morticia coaxed. "This is no time to hold back information. Do you feel the same way about Wednesday as she feels about you?"

After a long pause he replied. "Yes, Mrs. Addams."

"You are in love with Wednesday?"

Lurch nodded slowly. "Yes, Mrs. Addams."

"If she loves you and you love her, I don't see the problem. She's called off her wedding. Her betrothal no longer stands in your way. Why did she break off her engagement and then just disappear like that? … Where could she have gone?" Gomez asked.

"I believe I understand," Morticia said quietly to her husband. Turning back to the butler she said, "Lurch, you didn't tell Wednesday how you felt, did you? You didn't tell her you shared her feelings."

Rumbling low in his throat, his eyes downcast, Lurch shook his head miserably.

"But why not?" Gomez asked. "If you two are in love with each other… Why didn't you tell her how you felt?"

"I…I…cannot!"

"But why?"

"She is … was … engaged to marry a count and …I'm ... a servant."

"Oh, I see," Gomez said. "You felt that Wednesday is too far above your station, something like that?"

Lurch nodded his gaze at the floor a few feet ahead of him.

"Why, that's just silly, Lurch," Mrs. Addams said. "You must know you've always been more than a mere servant to Mr. Addams and myself. You're like family."

"Mrs. Addams is right, Lurch," Gomez added slapping the towering butler on the back. "If you are the man our little Wednesday has chosen, well, I for one would be more than happy to call you 'son'."

"And I feel the same way, dear Lurch," Morticia declared tenderly patting his big hand.

"Father? Mother?" Lurch asked in disbelief.

"Now that might take a little getting used to. In the mean time, Lurch, maybe it would be better if you just tried calling us 'Gomez' and 'Morticia'. But as my lovely wife just said, you've always been family as far as we are concerned."

"Is that why you wanted to quit your job? You did not want to be here to see the woman you love marry another man?"

Again Lurch nodded, still groaning.

"Well, that's all settled, then. Wednesday is not marrying Adalberto."

"Now we have to figure out where she may have gone," Morticia mused. "We must find our daughter, Gomez!"

"More to the point," Gomez corrected, "Lurch must find her." He turned to the butler. "If you truly love that woman, it's up to you to track her down, old man. Search the four corners of the earth if you must. Leave no stone unturned. If our little Wednesday is the woman for you then, by George, go out there, find her! Tell her how you feel, and bring her back home!"

Lurch hesitated. "But… what…what will I say to her?" Lurch asked uncertainly.

"You might begin by telling Wednesday how you truly feel," Morticia said.

"<Groan>"

"You do love Wednesday, don't you. Lurch?" She queried.

"Yes, Mrs. Addams."

"Then tell her so," Gomez prompted. "Simply tell her 'Wednesday, I'm in love with you.' That really is all you need to say."

"…Wednesday … I … am … in … love … with … you…"

"By George, you've got it, old man."

Lurch groaned and shook his head.

"What's wrong now?"

"What if she doesn't want to come back?" He asked.

"You might try telling her that you're sorry. When it comes to women and matters of the heart a good, old-fashioned, heartfelt apology never hurts."

"Yes, Mr. Add… Gomez," the butler replied.

End of Chapter 3.