Amid The Shadows Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Alex nodded. 'I'll need some weapons, maps and some basic amenities.'

'Of course.'

'And Jensen will be accompanying me.'

Alistair stood swiftly, 'That I cannot allow.'

'Where I'm going I'll need an earth master.' Alex moved from under Jensen's arm and limped to the fire. She hissed as she straightened further, her back and side burned.

A look of surprise crossed Alistair's face, 'You know where it is?' he asked carefully.

Alex frowned and rubbed her temples. 'Not its exact location but the general area, now I've store the item to memory it will call to me until I find it.'

'Very well, tonight we eat, tomorrow you'll depart.'

Alistair clapped his hands and Taran pulled open the door, his arm extended to indicate their exit. Alex took the lead as Jensen followed, slightly bemused by the situation that has just occurred. As he watched Alex limped slowly in front of him, he admired the curve of her back, his gaze dropping lower to her arse in those jeans. His eyes flared to life, he'd underestimated her. She'd asked for his freedom, not just her own. Admiration swelled inside him and all he could think about was kissing her, holding her, thanking her.

*** Alex waited until the door was closed and locked before facing Jensen, for some reason she through he was going to berate her. Instead when she turned to face him, he was already inches away from her body. The heat and magic from his own humming around her. As he leaned forward to kiss her, she met his half way. A gentle soft brush of lips and skin, once, twice, a third time. Jensen pulled back and stared at her for a long moment. His eyes searching her face, he smiled fully and the sight made him look years younger, happier.

'Thank You' he said roughly as he stroked her jawline with a finger.

'You're welcome' she said softly. As much as she'd like to find out a few things about Jensen Crane. The clock was ticking, they needed to find that rock, The black rock. She stepped out of his embrace and perched on the end of the bed. She pulled the band from her hair and rain her hand over her scalp. Jensen's heart felt heavy as he watched her step away, before her could tell her that that kiss was more than a thank you. That he wanted more, Alex moved away. He cursed himself, it was hardly the time to try anything while being in Alastair's house of hell. He wanted her, his magic awoke to the scent and feel of her, but he could wait, he was a patient man.

'How do you know about the rock?' Jensen unbuttoned and removed his shirt and their eyes locked, she gulped and he smirked.

'I read a lot.' Alex crawled further up the bed and moved a pillow to her back, settling herself against the head board, slowly. 'History, myths, legends, anything that way inclined I used to decipher quickly and retain.'

Nodding Jensen understood the connection, retaining and relaying information was a key trait when categorising a concealer. He moved to the bed and mirrored her posture. 'We have to discuss strategy. Tell me what you know about the rock.'

'It pre dates ever item located in the magic institutes's museum of history. It was once held within their possession but after the wars in the south it disappeared and with it several historical texts, spell books, etcetera. Since then, their has been three magical incidents which had been widely speculated as being linked to the rock.'

Alexis snuggled down into the pillow and turned to face Jensen, without conscience thought he did the same, they lay face to face as she continued.

'The rock itself is about 10 cm wide and 3 inches thick, its jagged in appearance and was chipped of the block of brimstone from the demon realm or so the story goes, on its crossing into our realm it became a solid rock, black in colouration with the density and strength of diamonds, in fact its probably stronger.'

Jensen nodded, so far he knew that much. Although, the size of the rock was a puzzle, from the picture it looked larger.

He frowned. 'What about its capabilities? Magically?'

Alex yawned, 'It's believed that the rock is used to ward of spirits as well as giving some magically ability to the person who holds it in their possession, but some of the texts I read, condemn this or give such listings of the rock's strengths that its hard to believe.'

'Like?' Jensen prompted.

'Erm...one, in 1886 the Duke of York commissioned some testing on the rock, found it impervious to fire, water and the elements in general, the only thing it seemed to react to was blood.'

'Blood? Why blood?' Jensen reached across the bed and pulled the runner upwards and around Alex.

'Thank you, As to the blood, I don't know, maybe its the demon connection. The writings are taken from the duke's diary, most of it aged and crumbled over the years, only a few chapters of it remains. The duke himself disappeared shortly after the last entry. When his family found him two years later, he'd lost all humanity and was living with a pack of wolves.'

Jensen looked at the woman before him thoughtfully, informing him of things he didn't know so easily. He wonder what other treasure she kept inside that beautiful head of hers.

'Where do you think we need to start looking?' he asked.

'As I don't know how far we are away from anywhere that could be difficult. Once we get away from Alistair's magic then I'll be at ease to follow my instincts and the call of the rock.'

'That won't be so easy.' Jensen remarked.

'I know, he fed from me so his having my blood in his system will create a temporary connection.'

Jensen's body reacted to that comment, he felt himself tense and grip the sheets below him in anger, the bastard had fed on her. He glanced at her neck and noticed the faint dots on the right under her ear. He watched her face as her eyes grew heavy, she shifted on the bed onto her back and winced, deciding against it, she turned back on her side to face him. Just as she relaxed, a loud knock on the door, startled her and she sat up sharply, her arm outstretched, ready to use magic. Jensen lightly touched her elbow, 'It's OK, just food.'

***

Paul gripped the phone in his hand and considered ringing some friends to offer him a place to stay until this thing was over. His conversation with Alistair hadn't gone as planned, Hell, the whole arrangement was falling apart. Alexis was not to be hurt and be returned alive. Somehow Paul doubted that was the case now. Plus Karl was onto him, that fucking sneaky wolf knew something. He took a long breath and pushed at his senses to seek out his sister. As his thoughts cleared and the image in his head became crisper, he thought he recognised the location. Only to be throw back in his bed as he tried too intrude further. The place was guard and warded heavily by magic. Paul gripped the paper file to himself like a life line, after discovering some interesting information about Alistair, he thought the location was a link. Maybe he could clean up his own mess. He needed to contact Diana, tell her to stay away from the apartment, he needed to try and put this wrong right.

Doubt plagued him at that thought, told him somehow trying to reverse what was in motion wouldn't be so easy and that Alistair wouldn't be so understanding.

12