Amy's Security Continues

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Mandy01
Mandy01
454 Followers

Amy sprang up with her head down and rushed past Vivian mumbling, "Tell Megan I'll be waiting in the car for her."

"I hope I haven't made a bad situation worse?" Vivian looked at Amy's retreating form. "I'll leave and you can sort this out. I can tell Jillian I don't need her to babysit?"

"It has nothing to do with you. I'm glad you showed up when you did." I gave Vivian a hug and kiss on the cheek. "Can you put the pasta in and watch it for a minute. I have to tell Megan that our meeting is over, and that she can take Amy home."

As I walked out onto the back deck and saw Megan dozing as the last rays of the afternoon sun faded behind the landscape, it came to mind that one thing that Amy had said was true. Now that Amy was VP, she had swept aside all the blocks hindering my ideas, and it got me thinking, "How's the view?"

"It's all you said it would be Sam, simply refreshing!" Megan said smiling with her eyes closed, "How'd it go in there? I didn't hear any gun shots."

"Not good I'm afraid, and she's not going to back down. She's in the car waiting for you at the moment. Can I ask you something?"

"Sure Sam, you know you can ask me anything!"

I smiled weakly. "What do you see in your future at work? How ambitious are you Megan?"

Megan eyes popped open at this unusual question. "I'm not sure what you're getting at Sam? But if it's what I think it is, then I'd like a shot at Amy's job for a start." She got up out of her deck chair. "I know I can do it, and do it well, but I have no intention of compromising my virtue just to get it. Why do you ask?"

I dropped my head in thought. "I think it's time to put a halt to this three ring circus." I then spoke with grim determination. "Can you get Kevin Paxton on side and meet me in town? Let's say in three weeks time, because I might have a proposition for the both of you."

Megan nodded her affirmation.

I led Megan back into the cottage and she saw Vivian standing at the stove. Digging me in the ribs with her elbow she whispered, "I see now why Amy lit out of here with her tail between her legs. You old dog you!" The look on Megan's face made me grin. "She's gorgeous, and I'm sure that she was the final nail in Amy's coffin. Christ Sam, Amy's not in her league, never was; hell I'm not even in her league! That poor girl has to be licking her wounded pride now!"

I nodded at Megan assessment of Vivian's beauty. "And she's just as gorgeous on the inside."

Vivian looked up as I introduced Megan. "Pleased to meet you. Sam seems to have so many women in his life, I'm not sure he has enough room for me," she hesitantly stated.

Megan giggled. "Don't worry about any other woman you see Sam with. He's a one woman man, that you can be sure of sweetie. And from what I can see, he's got his sights on your cute little derriere. You better watch your six! Sam can be a real Casanova when he sets his sights on a woman worth his interest."

I don't know what Megan was going on about. I hadn't been around her in any social situation for her to make a statement like that.

I could feel my face turning red. "I think you've said enough for one night Megan, and it's time to leave." I was pushing her to the front door when she looked over her shoulder and fired her last salvo, "If you're smart Vivian, you won't let this hunk out of your grasp." With one last kiss on my cheek she bid me goodbye. "You be good now, and I'll see you in three weeks."

Vivian and I sat finishing our dinner over a merlot out on the rear deck, watching the water fowl swim idly past. We chatted about what had happened that afternoon and I filled Vivian in on all the sordid details of my marriage to Amy along with the destruction she had brought to it.

"You don't want to do this! Do you Sam?"

I winced at what I was about to undertake. "No Vivian, you're right! I don't want to do it, but it has to be done. I can't sit back and let everyone back there lose their jobs because I sort the easy way out. As much as it pains me, I have no choice."

Vivian was quiet for a time but stated, "If you ask me Amy is still holding a candle for you!"

I looked at Vivian and almost laughed. "I knew she did before, but I don't think so now! Not after what I said to her this afternoon. I ripped into her as hard as I could but I don't think it made any difference?"

Vivian smiled. "For all your hard assed bluster, it's obvious that you care for others Sam, including Amy, and take it from me; we women put a lot of value on that quality in our men!"

I really had nothing to say to that so I went back to sucking on my beer.

Vivian patted my arm for reassurance. "If I haven't made a big mistake about you, then I'm sure that you'll do the right thing for everyone."

I nodded with a grim foreboding, "But not everyone will be thinking that way I'm afraid!"

"You didn't make her bed Sam, she did, and now she'll have to lay in it, and there's nothing you can do about it." Vivian was silent for a minute or two, and I was lost in my own thoughts when she took me completely by surprise. "Speaking of beds; when are you going to show me yours?"

To say the statement came out of left field would be to minimize it, and it caught me totally by surprise.

"Huh?"

Vivian giggled. "Megan told me if I wanted to stake my claim to you then I hadn't better pussy foot around. What was it she said? "If you're smart Vivian, you won't let this hunk out of your grasp!" Well this is me grabbing hold of someone I think is worth holding on to."

"So you're interested in more than a platonic relationship?" I know it sounded like I was a fresh out of school teenager, testing waters. "I didn't want to do the wrong thing here. As you can see my track record with women isn't all that promising!" I found it hard looking her straight in the eyes as I said it.

Vivian chortled. "You're blushing Sam!"

My ears exploded into a fiery blaze, as a sheepish grin crept across my face. "You sure know how to make a guy feel stupid!" I rubbed my face and eyes with both hands, more to get myself back under control than for any really feeling of tiredness. "The day I walked into your store and saw you looking absolutely frazzled and you accepted my help, I felt like a knight in shining armour come to rescue a damsel in distress!"

The smile on her face was priceless. "You were my knight on his trusty steed that day, and still are Sam." Vivian leaned over and kissed me affectionately on the cheek. "Since that day I have come to depend on you. I now understand why you took pity on me all those months ago."

Vivian stopped when she saw the look of confusion on my face. "It must have been hard for you to be shown by Amy that you weren't needed? Well if it's any consolation, I need you Sam! I haven't been so comfortable and relaxed since Greg passed away."

"Yeah well it's a guy thing! Amy didn't understand it and I couldn't explain it either."

Vivian patted my hand for reassurance. "You've been good to me Sam and I want you to know that I appreciate it. It wasn't until Megan made her faux pas that I actually realised that I have more than just feelings of friendship for you, so what do you say. You want to take this to the next level?"

The look on Vivian's face was one of sincerity mixed with hope. "Well Madam! If you insist, then I'll just have to show you my etchings," I finished with a wicked grin.

Vivian's face lit up. "Etchings be damned! I'm more interested in the tool you use to do those etchings?" We both broke up laughing as she got up and moved toward the door quipping, "Race you to the bedroom!"

~...~

I saw Kevin and Megan watching me walk into the restaurant. My gaze must have said everything about my mood. Kevin stood and held out his hand. "Long time no see old friend, so good to see you after all this time. What have you been doing with yourself? You look ten years younger!"

I smiled as I took Kevin's hand. "Nice to see you again, I'm fit as a fiddle! How's life treating you?"

"Ohhh fair to middling. Can't really complain, because no one ever listens!"

I smiled at Kevin's statement as I gave Megan a kiss on the cheek. "You're looking as radiant as ever my dear. I don't know what you see in this ruffian but I hope he's been treating you well?"

Megan giggled. "A ruffian he may be, but I kind of go for that rugged type. How'd you know?"

I smiled. "Because as I told Amy; I'm a people watcher my dear, and I saw your reaction when I asked for Kevin to be here today. I think you two will make a formidable team."

Kevin grinned at my appraisal, "Speaking of which! What's this proposal you have for us?"

I chuckled. "Always from the hip Kevin, you'll never change. Ok then, business first, and then we can settle down and enjoy our meal."

While the waitress served our drinks I went into my spiel, "As you know the company is in dire straits, and if something isn't done soon, everyone will be out on their respective asses looking for employment elsewhere. As you and I have found out, there isn't a lot of choice out there."

I brought out some folders from my brief case and handed the white one the Kevin. "That is what I feel needs to be done to turn this mess around, if you disagree or have any more to add, then feel free to speak up.

While Kevin was perusing the folder in his hand, I opened a second one. "This is a list of the people you'll need to get on side. I'm leaving it up to you as to how you do it."

Kevin flicked through the folder he already had. "At first glance here I can see have you've put some thought into this proposal. From what I can see you're not just going after JPL and Amy, but Dobson Inc and Jason as well?"

I saw the look on Kevin's face and I knew he what he was thinking. "We have no choice Kevin. Since Dobson has bought out JPL, it has to be a two-pronged attack. My original ideas were for JPL alone. The board of directors of Dobson are now the ones we need to concentrate on if we're to have any success here. If you can get the board on side and Megan can do her bit at JPL, then we've got a chance, slim as it may be, but our only chance!"

Kevin handed over the folder to Megan. "You're not joking when you that Sam! Slim is an understatement, more like anorexic, but I can see the possibilities. Though I think it might be an idea to put it past Jack Deakin! He's the man when it comes to bean counting, don't you think?"

I thought for a while then nodded grimly. "I know he's a genius when it comes to beans, if you think he's the one we need? He and I didn't get along at the end there. I'm not really sure why, but he just made it clear to me that I wasn't his favourite co-worker."

Megan nodded while perusing the folder. "I agree with Kevin; Jack needs to be in on this! When it comes to creative accounting he's a master. I'll have a talk with him and sound him out first."

Kevin took the second folder to read, going over the list of names. "Wow, there's some pretty high profile people here, I'm not sure if I can even get into see some of them let alone bring them on board?"

I grinned at Kevin's doubt. "What do you think I have been doing for the last three weeks? There is one name there, Slovak. I haven't been able to get anywhere near him and if he's not on board then all this a moot point."

"How in god's name did you get so influential?"

"Influential be damned! If I was that good I'd have Slovak eating out of my palm." I handed another folder over to Kevin, "That is a list of appointments you have with all those others on the list except Slovak."

Megan looked up from the folder she was reading. "Isn't Slovak an uncle of Jerry Cambridge? Maybe he can get in to see him for us?"

Kevin and I looked to each other and shrugged our shoulders as Kevin asked, "Can you find out and organise something sweetheart?" Megan smiled, "I have a meeting to organise itinerary and travel plans for an upcoming trip with Jerry tomorrow. I'll ask him then."

That bit of information made me feel a little better so I finished, "I took the liberty of organizing times and dates on your behalf. The shit is starting to smell, even up in high places! I set out my worries, but at that stage I didn't have a workable plan. I called in a shit load of marker to do this. There's still a lot of work to do to wrap up the details and I think we need to get everyone we can together to flesh out the final draft."

Megan shook her head, "I can't believe Jason hasn't seen the shit coming?"

"Ohhh he knows it's coming alright," I scoffed. "I believe he just doesn't care! He has his escape goat and Amy's in for a terrible surprise when he drives the knife into her back."

Megan winced in sympathy. "Amy might be selfish slut, but I don't believe she deserves to be hung drawn and quartered in this fashion!"

I nodded my asseveration. "I believe that he'll have to act before the next quarterly stock holders meeting for any chance to stay clean himself. That's why we have to act now, and make it surgically fast, neat and clean. Impress the big wigs and we're home and hosed."

Kevin shook his head. "You seemed to think that we'll take you up on this offer!"

I smiled again. "Come on Kevin, think about it. What do you have to lose? If Amy could swing them her ideas, then it'll be a walk in the park for you! You haven't found another job that will do justice to your abilities have you? I know you have a score to settle with Amy. I'm also damn well sure that Jason isn't exactly on your Christmas list."

I nodded to Megan, "And this little minx over here seems to believe in you as much as do I. I'm fairly sure that you'll take the bit between your teeth and run with this. Hell I've done the easy bit, all you got to do is bring home the bacon."

Kevin laughed along with Megan. "All tied up with a neat little pink ribbon!" He stated sarcastically.

Megan frowned. "What about Jason, he won't go down without a fight, and I'm sure he has the backing to scuttle this ship before it has a chance to fire the first broadside?" She pointed out as she perused the second folder.

I screwed my face into an evil grin. "You leave that fucker to me. You won't even see him, let alone have to deal with him. All you need to do is keep Amy occupied so she doesn't know what's happening and do something stupid like committing professional suicide and taking out everyone else in the process."

Megan's face matched mine with her grin. "She's the last of our worries! After your little talk the other day, she's had her head down so much that she doesn't know what day it is. Vivian stung her something terrible, and she's vowed to show you, you're wrong. I can tell you Sam that you really messed with her head. I've had to run interference on many of her proposals to head office just to make her look half way competent."

Kevin, Megan and I enjoyed our meal while discussing our plans. By the time we said our farewells, we had set up another meeting in two days time with some others to go over the final draught.

~...~

The meeting was fiery to say the least, Megan and Kevin had got half a dozen fellow conspirators together to help bring this puppy home. Jack Deakin was just one, and as I had predicted Jack was antagonistic from the start, though he did sit and listened to what we had to say. "Give me a look at the financial package!" He demanded, we all waited with baited breath as he ran his finger down the page leaving me astounded at the speed with which he could add and subtract. "This is total hogwash Beckman, there is no way you can justify these figures!"

I looked at him and the first reaction was to fly off the handle at his negativity, but I responded, managing to control my anger, "They are only estimates, forecasted approximations!"

Deakin smiled sarcastically, "Don't give up your day job Beckman, and I've seen more accurate weather forecasts from the bureau of meteorology!"

This was put your money where your mouth is time! I told Amy that I was good at knowing how to get around difficult people and this was put up or shut up time.

"Look Deakin...Can I call you Jack? I know we haven't seen eye to eye ever since Amy's unorthodox rise to power, but I know you're good at what you do and that's why you're here. You're the best there is!" I could see his chest puff up and I was sure I was on the right track.

Jack got a knowing grin on his face. "I may be seen as just a bean counter to you lot, but I'm not that socially inept that I don't know when I'm being patronised!"

I gritted my teeth in frustration. "I know it sounded patronising, but it doesn't make what I said any less true."

I pointed around the room to everyone else here, "What are these people going to do when the shit hits the fan at the next stockholders meeting? I myself really don't give a fat rat's arse whether you come on board with this proposal or not. I can walk away and go back to my life in the country and let you get on with working out how you are going to do at the unemployment line. You're a genius when it comes to numbers Jack; you're in a position that you can get employment at the drop of a hat, but what about them? We need you to do your thing, get creative and make those forecasts work."

I could see the gears turning, apart from the weak try at pandering to his conscience, he seem concerned. "So this isn't some scam to get your wife further up the corporate ladder?"

I smiled sadly and chuckled, as I was shaking my head. So that was his beef with me. "No Jack; definitely not! She's my Ex-wife to start with and she'll be lucky if she's shuffling papers in some dark windowless room if we ever manage to pull this off. I made a mistake when I divorced her. I should have burned the bitch, but I didn't and I regret what it has led to. I'm here to try and fix that mistake! Irrespective of whether this takeover works or not, both she and Jason are history. I'll guarantee you that!"

Jack replied as he looked around the room and then back through the folder once more, "You know Sam, I've been doing so much with so little for so long, that I'm now fully qualified to do anything with nothing!" He lifted his head with a smirk a mile wide on his face. "What's the deadline for having this miracle finished?"

I looked over to Kevin. "I need it by three pm tomorrow!" He responded cautiously.

"Holy fucking crap!" He snapped with eyes bulging from their sockets. "I'm good Kevin, but I think even God will have trouble getting this mess sorted by then!" We all looked around and I was starting to worry that my brilliant plan might just go down the gurgler.

What he said next threw me and most likely everyone else in the room. "I want a plaque that says 'GOD' to put on my desk if I pull this off!" Deakin quipped.

After a moment's consideration, Kevin chuckled, "I'll personally engrave it myself and have everyone kneel at your feet and pay homage if you get me those figures by three tomorrow!"

There was a rush of relief as everyone there, including myself breathed a sigh. "Ok peoples, we're burning the midnight oil, ring who you need to make your apologies and let's get to work."

Megan came up to me and asked if it was ok to bring some of the girls in from the typing pool to do collating and gophering. "It's your call Megan; show us what you're made of woman. I'm just here to help out with any questions you may have, but it's up to you now." I explained as I held out my hands to show that I was handing over control to her.

"Ohhh Jesus!" She exclaimed as she shot a glance at Kevin.

"Sam's right sweetheart! You need to take control and show everyone that they can depend on you in a crisis."

Kevin and I stood back as Megan took a deep breath and got to work. Within an hour she was busy organising groups and brainstorming idea from those who had them. Jack argued back and forth with her until she snapped, "I don't care how many of your guys you have to bring to make the deadline Jack! You know what we're up against here, just make it happen ok?"

Mandy01
Mandy01
454 Followers