Angel's Call Ch. 02

Story Info
Will the woman and the baby survive?
2.8k words
4.68
20.8k
8

Part 2 of the 10 part series

Updated 10/09/2022
Created 04/15/2008
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
tenger
tenger
39 Followers

Thanks a lot to Techsan who edited the story pretty quickly and turned it into a better one.

*

The next thing Chris remembered was a very bad smell and a nurse leaning over him. He jumped up and went crazy thinking that the woman and the baby were still in the car.

"Woman, car, baby, woman in the car," he muttered.

"Calm down," said the nurse, "You've had a concussion, possibly because of the combination of alcohol and the excitement. As you mumbled about her right when you were falling, we reached them; your wife and unborn daughter are in the labour room under control. How was she so beaten up?"

Chris's first thought was, "Oh, God, they know that I am drunk!" Then came, "OH, GOD! They think that she is my wife and most probably also that I beat her to death!" and he frantically started to explain to the nurse that he had found her in an alley and that she wasn't his wife. In fact he didn't have a clue about who she was and what had happened. The nurse seemed a little relieved with the information that Chris might not be responsible for the state the woman was in but she was cautious.

"The police have been informed and they will be here in a short while."

"How is she?" Chris asked the nurse.

"The doctor will be here in a minute and although it is a policy not to give information to non-relatives, I will ask if we can make an exception since I have a feeling that you have a right because you brought her in and seem to be sincere in your concern."

"Where can I get a cup of coffee? And where can I wait until the cops come?" asked Chris rather timidly. He was afraid of being accused but he had to help the police find who did this to her. Whats more, he felt he had to see that the woman was fine, maybe reach her family and hand her to safety. The nurse showed him the coffee machine around the corner and told him to wait right by the side of it.

The doctor, who seemed disturbed about the whole thing going on during his shift, came after what seemed like an endless five minutes. After talking with the nurse and making sure that Chris was fine, he walked towards him.

"Hand your car keys to me. I'll get your car moved from the front of the ER to the parking lot of the hospital."

"Here you are. How is the woman?"

"She is in fact very badly beaten with a fractured leg, an arm and two ribs, is unconscious, is in labour but hemorrhaging. Given her situation we will do a C-section as soon as the operating room is ready. The baby fortunately is still holding on and seems to be coming just a little early. The nurse told me you don't know who she is." Then he continued just above whispering as if speaking to himself, "We should inform her family."

"I really don't know her but I'd like to stay until she and the baby are fine."

"You'll have to, until the cops come anyway." said the doctor surly.

Sometime during the short conversation, a uniformed guy headed towards them. He introduced himself as the cop assigned to the case and asked Chris what happened. Chris explained all that had happened from the time he left the restaurant until he reached the hospital in as much detail as he could remember.

"I have to check your statement with witnesses from the restaurant and check the alley where you found her before I can let you go and you can pray that the woman will wake up and tell her story soon. You are a suspect right now." said the cop coldly.

"Are you going to take me to the police station? Please can't I stay until I see that she is fine, and at least someone from her family has come. Please?" begged Chris to let them leave him there to see the woman. "After all the trouble and stress I went through for her, I want to see that she is fine until her family comes." He was also afraid of going to the station. The police were nice but who knew what waited for him in there.

The police consulted with the doctor first. On learning that the doctors should keep him under supervision because he had a concussion and shouldn't sleep until morning anyway, the officer decided to leave Chris in the hospital until he came back. He had all his communication information and had the dispatcher run a check on him. He seemed clean and afraid and they could easily find him in his workplace if he decided on running away.

After making the agreement with the police, Chris started to look for the woman. The doctor had hurried away, saying they were taking her into the operating room.

"Where can I find the woman?" Chris asked the nurse who had looked after him a while earlier.

She answered while hurrying to another curtain. "The operating room is on the third floor but you should wait until Jerry comes. He will keep an eye on you until the sergeant returns."

He dashed towards the elevator without waiting, pushed the call button restlessly a few times and thought about running up the stairs about ten times before it reached the ER floor and took him upstairs.

"Are you all right?" asked the nurse in the nurses station which was in front of the operating room. He was white as a sheet with the blood stained coat still on his back and looked about to faint again.

"I came for Mrs.Whatever. She should be in there," Chris spoke, indifferent to the question, pointed to the operating room and removed the coat.

The nurse showed him a seat. "Mrs. Doe is in operation. You can wait over there."

"Do you know who she is?" Chris asked amazedly.

"No, it's standard policy to call unidentified female patients Jane Doe, that's it."

Well, he really tried to sit down. He was tired and dizzy after all. But he was also uneasy. He decided that some praying could do good and that was what kept him sitting for a full five minutes before he jumped up and asked the nurse what took them so long.

Nancy, the nurse, was used to anxious fathers waiting for their babies to be born and started explaining to Chris about how a C-section is done starting with the incision. The details seemed to make Chris feel nauseous, so he ran towards the loo, emptied what was left of his small dinner, two and a half bottles of wine and the last cup of coffee. He felt better immediately. That was when the guy designated to keep an eye on him came in.

"Are you all right, sir? I am Jerry. I will be with you until the cops come back."

"That seems to be the favorite question around here. Yes, I am fine. Is Mrs. Doe out yet?"

"No, sir."

"Then, I'd like to go back to the front of the operating room to wait. Do you know if they've reached her family yet?"

"Nope. Maybe that cop will come up with some information."

Chris was dragging his feet to the seat across from the nurse when a man in green scrubs came out with a small baby in an incubator. She was so helpless and tiny but a beauty.

"Is it Mrs. Doe's baby? Is she all right?" Chris asked the man in green.

"Yes, she seems fine and healthy but we will keep her in an incubator for a while."

"Is Mrs. Doe all right?" Chris asked again before he let the man go.

"She seems so. She should be out in about an hour. Now let me go. I have to take this little one to the NICU."

Chris was puzzled.

"Where?"

"To neonatal intensive care unit."

"You just said that she is fine."

"Yes, right now she seems to be, but as she decided to come to world a little earlier than she should have, we have to keep her under control."

"Ok."

Turning to Jerry, Chris said, "I will wait until I see that Mrs. Doe is out alive and well."

"That's fine by me. I can doze off in this chair for a while. Wake me up when you're ready to go. By the way, why are you so interested in a woman whom you do not even know? Are you sure you are not the father?"

"I am sure that I haven't met her before and I am absolutely sure that I am not the father and wondering very much where that father is right now. I only have a strange urge in me that says I have to see that she is fine. That is all."

"You are a good man in a cruel world. She is lucky that you found her. She could have bled to death. How could a person beat a pregnant woman like a punching bag and leave her to die?"

"I've got no idea but it is really a miracle. If it were a normal Thursday night I would have been fast asleep by the time I found her. But still it might be that I need to see her well and say that I am not responsible for the state she is in. I am a suspect right now, after all."

And a long silence followed when Jerry slept and Chris had a nasty vision of Lisa and George in his bathroom this time. Had they had sex there, too? George was kissing Lisa eagerly under the shower, his hand over her breast. Lisa was breathing heavily. Then he saw George playing with her nipples, Lisa tracing his back with her nails, then his cock was in and out of Lisa's dripping pussy camouflaged by the running water. He was awakened from the trance with the banging of the operating room door.

"O RH- blood needed immediately," a woman shouted to the nurse.

"I'll check the bloodbank. They usually have it but it is rare," the nurse answered.

Chris pinched himself, "I am O RH-, that is, if it is all right."

"Come in, we'll run some tests in case they cannot find it, quick."

The woman took some blood, running it to the lab for immediate tests and came back in a short while.

"They cannot find anyone to send the blood right now. Yours'll have to do."

Chris laid down on a bed and cursed his bad luck as the procedure was carried out. He hated needles. The woman told him to lie down for another ten minutes after it was over and then she left. Chris counted the minutes and walked out to meet Jerry.

Mrs. Doe was wheeled out some time later. Chris spotted the doctor who had talked to him before.

"Will she be all right?"

"I hope so. We did all we can. Now it is up to her."

"Can I see her? When is she going to wake up?"

"Well, my guess is that it will not be before noon. She will be taken to the ICU for the first few hours. Visitors will be allowed after she is taken to her room. Is there any news about her family?"

"Not that I know of. Can I see the baby?"

"I don't know. You should ask the NICU doctor on duty."

"Thanks. I'll check. I am stuck here anyway."

"Where is the neonatal ICU?" Chris asked Jerry.

"On this floor. Turn right at the end of this corridor. Wait, I should also be coming with you."

Chris was dragging his feet since he felt really tired and sleepy but the urge was still there. A little voice was constantly saying, "You have to make sure that she is fine." He wondered if it was totally his need to be cleared of this mess or his mind just holding on to a different subject than Lisa and George.

They knocked on the door of the neonatal intensive care unit and a sleepy nurse showed up.

"We want to know how the Doe baby is doing." Jerry said.

"Oh, she is sleeping soundly. I will feed her soon. I heard that her mother won't be able to feed her for a while."

"Can I see her?" Chris asked.

"I have to ask Dr.Lou. Will you wait for a minute please?"

"That's all I've been doing until now."

The nurse went in and came out a few minutes later holding scrubs for Chris to wear.

"You can come in for five minutes. Don't forget the shoe covers. Oh, and wash your hands over there."

"I will wait outside," Jerry said.

Chris went in following the nurse. She showed him where the little baby was. She seemed small and fragile with an angry red face, her eyes were so puffy, the color of them couldn't be seen.

"Can I hold her?" Chris asked and amazed at himself. It was as if somebody else was speaking for him.

"I am surprised. Many men are afraid to hold a normal baby, much less a premature one."

"Well, she seems like she could use a hug,"Chris spoke instinctively.

"Here you are. You should support her head and hold her in your arms like this."

Chris looked at the little girl, hugged her and, feeling that he had to comfort her, whispered in her ear, "Don't worry, little angel. Your mama will be fine. I am not going anywhere until I see both of you are fine."

The girl chose to open her eyes, show the beautiful dark blue color of them and give an unconscious toothless smile for a second at that very moment. Chris thought his heart stopped, smiled back at the baby and kissed her forehead.

"Let me take her back," the nurse interrupted.

"Here you go, bye. Thank you."

Returning to the door, Chris found Jerry. "I need some rest. Since I cannot see Mrs. Doe right now, where can I wait for the cop?"

"Let's go down to the reception area. There are some comfortable armchairs over there. Besides, the receptionist can inform us when they take Mrs. Doe to her room. But you shouldn't sleep."

Chris and Jerry went down, leaned on adjoining armchairs and started to doze off after they informed the receptionist about the situation and asked her to notify them when Mrs. Doe was taken to her room. About an hour later the cop came.

"We've checked the restaurant and the waiter remembered you and the time you took off, leaving your mobile phone behind. If you tell me the brand and type and after I make sure it is yours, I'll hand it over to you. There is also the pole you hit on your way out. You're going to have to pay for that. We couldn't get much information out of the alley but it is quite sure that somebody dragged her over there by the looks of the blood traces. And the shoe prints, let me see yours... aren't matching yours, lucky for you. I have to take prints of these anyway. Step in this box here. Right in the middle. Fine. Now the other one. She seems like she moved herself towards the exit of the alley. Your prints don't go all the way in. You can go now if Dr.Geoffrey is letting you go."

"Did you figure out who she is, call her family?"

"No, we don't know for sure who she is yet but there is a possibility that she is Anna Collins. If it is her, her parents are dead, there is no husband or spouse that is known, and she had been working as a secretary until she disappeared about a year ago. Her boss filed a missing person's case but she was nowhere to be found. She has an uncle but he is some kind of researcher in a remote place and, as we understand the emergency word will reach him in about two days, and if he chooses to come it might take him at least a week. But we aren't counting on him as we are informed that he didn't show any interest in her after her parents died."

Chris listened to the small voice inside which said, "Don't go, make sure she's well," and spoke, "Then right now I am the only person interested in her health. I guess I'll stay at least until she is awake. I am sure Dr.Geoffrey will inform you as soon as she is able to give a statement."

"All right. I'll talk to him, too. She still can say something against you when she wakes up. You have to come to the police station to sign your statement as soon as possible. Here's my number. Give me a call when you feel up to it. I'll be off duty until five today, though."

Jerry said goodbye to Chris, told him that he would rest for a while and disappeared behind a door that said "Personnel Only".

to be continued... (hopefully soon)

tenger
tenger
39 Followers