Animal Instincts Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Keme
Keme
98 Followers

Grumbling under her breath Sydney slumped down onto the waiting bench, grabbed a pair of socks from the stand beside her, slipped her feet out of her heels and tugged the socks on. Within moments she had the trainers on and done up, standing quickly she took a short walk and was pleasantly surprised to find that the shoes fit like a glove and weren't at all uncomfortable. In fact if she were completely honest with herself they actually felt great!

With a broad smile etching its way onto her face she took a slightly longer test walk, startling Natalie moments later when she bounded into her side.

"I take it they fit?" Natalie grumbled.

"Yeah, I don't want to take them off now." She grinned at Natalie before taking back some of the items Natalie was juggling to maintain her hold on; heading toward the cashier she recalled that she had forgotten to send Natalie the message Nathaniel had wanted forwarded to her -- she hoped that he wouldn't be mad with her, then again he would never have to know. "Oh when I get use of my hands back don't let me forget to send you that message."

*

"What message?" Natalie glanced at Sydney quickly as she dropped the clothes onto the counter for the clerk, before stepping back out of the way.

"The one I told you about earlier." She watched as Sydney asked for a pair of scissors and cut the tag off the trainers - handing it to the clerk to scan -- before producing her credit card with a smile and paying for her items.

Stepping forward again, Natalie picked up the bags and held one open for Sydney to drop her heels inside. Sydney thanked her and took one of the bags and tucked it over her wrist as she put her purse back into her handbag and dug out her phone. Natalie had the same flutter in her belly as she watched Sydney tap away on the keys of her handset; when her own phone chimed with a new message she swore her heart lodged itself in her throat.

As they walked towards the exit Sydney exclaimed when she noted the time on her watch, it was already five o'clock and she was meant to meet Daniel in just over an hour. Cursing out loud that she still had to get home and actually get ready, Natalie silently handed over her other shopping bag and waved farewell as the other girl darted toward the direction of her car.

Once Sydney was out of sight she fumbled to get her phone out of her handbag, and with trembling fingers pushed the sequence of buttons to retrieve the text message.

Sitting in her car she re-read the message again, and once again her breathe hitched as she glanced over the tiny black letters, she still couldn't believe what she read. Slowly she sucked in a deep calming breathe and selected the number that was neatly displayed within the block of text, and hit the call button before she could talk herself out of it.

*

The low resounding chime of the phone broke the silence of the room, and with a exaggerated struggle he reached for it and picked up the call. "Hello?"

"Ugh, hi"

The distinct sound of a female voice on the other end of the line snapped Nathaniel's attention back to the present, as he threw himself into a sitting position; his open shirt falling to his sides. Oh god, it's her she called! With barely contained excitement building he swallowed nervously before attempting to talk.

"Oh hi"

"I think you already said that." He closed his eyes and mentally chastised himself for being an inarticulate idiot as he listened to her giggle.

"Huh? Oh yeah, sorry." Nathaniel punched the nearest pillow in frustration that his brain had somehow recently vacated his head, sending a torrent of white fluffy feathers into the air all around and over the bed. Gah! What the fuck?! Get a hold of yourself moron! He listened quickly but only heard silence on the other end of the line, "Ah, Natalie you there?"

"Yeah, I'm still here." He quietly breathed out a sigh of relief.

"So what are you up to?"

*

"Not much, just been helping Sydney with some very important girly stuff" She smiled as she heard him chuckle, the sound was like music to her ears and found herself relaxing instantly, "how about yourself?

"Oh not much, just waiting for an important phone call" Natalie could hear a slightly piqued tone through the amusement of his words. But instead of taking offence she decided to play up the intended joke.

"Well then, I guess that I probably shouldn't tie up your phone; not if you're expecting an important call." She smiled to herself; let him make of that what he will.

"No," The simple word had come out like a slap to the face, and Natalie found herself slightly thrown aback by the almost desperate tone to his voice "ugh, what I mean to say is, um," She listened quietly as Nathaniel stumbled and tripped over his own words, clearly he wasn't always in possession of that calm, composed exterior he had shown her the night before. "Don't hang up, not just yet - please."

Natalie sat stunned, her fingers nervously fiddling with a loose end of a thread on the steering wheel cover; she swallowed hard as she analysed and processed his words. Before she realised what she was doing she replied, "Okay."

"Where are you now?" Her heart was pounding loudly in her chest as his silky voice penetrated her ears.

"Sitting in my car." Natalie drummed her fingers nervously.

His chuckle broke the deafening silence, "That's a funny place to be sitting, is it that interesting?"

"Not particularly, I just haven't had a chance to drive anywhere after I got your message." Natalie clenched her fingers around the steering wheel as the silence threatened to overwhelm her.

"I sent that message hours ago," He sounded aghast by her admission. Surely sitting in a safely parked vehicle was a lot better than being in one wrapped around a tree from distraction? "Do you mean to tell me that you've been sitting in your car for the last, what three and a half hours?"

"What? No! I only got your message about ten minutes ago." Visions of Sydney grinning like an idiot while they were at the café dawned on Natalie, she was near certain that had been about three hours ago; she was going to throttle the other girl when she could get her hands around her pretty little neck. She heard a sharp intake of breathe on the other end of the line, listening intently lest he speak and she miss what he said; but there was nothing else to hear.

She cringed slightly and wondered what she could possibly say to him; clearly he was upset that she hadn't called him when he had first sent her the message. But it was far too late to be worrying about that now, what ever happened to better late than never? She squirmed in her seat as she listened again to the silence.

"So." Natalie swallowed hard as she realised slowly just how much was hidden behind that one little word. So: what does it really matter? Who cares? What now?

"So?" The irritation dropped from his voice momentarily, replaced with what sounded to Natalie much like mild curiosity; had he realised the multiple meanings as well? She doubted it.

"That text. Did you really mean what you wrote?" A pinching sensation in her fingers drew her attention to where she had been gripping the steering wheel until the hard edge of the cover was digging into her soft flesh, cutting the circulation. Slowly she forced her hand to relax, flexing her fingers carefully to get the blood pumping through them.

"Of course I did." The finality of his voice caught her off guard, and the handset slipped through her fingers and onto the floor between her chair and the door. Blinking stupidly Natalie fumbled to retrieve the handset, inadvertently hitting the end call button with her clumsy movements.

She sat for several long minutes staring at the handset, her mind and body at war with each other over the possible meaning of his words. She quickly retrieved the text message and again scanned it again for any possible clues; but she found nothing.

I believe you have something of mine,

I hope you take good care of it.

I'll be wanting it back.

Nathaniel

04xx xxx x39

What did he mean, 'of course he did'? Surely he was just fooling around, pulling her leg? What the hell was it exactly she was supposed to have taken, let alone how and when?!

Natalie sighed heavily as she tucked her phone into her purse, starting the car and carefully making her way out toward the road. Rolling into late afternoon traffic she pulling to a stop at the first set of lights she shuddered as one more thought struck her; how exactly did he plan to get this mystery object back?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter, from here on out the story is going to deviate into the separate stories for the other characters. I will certainly have my work cut out for me.

I'd love to have some feedback regarding the adjustments I've made to the changes in POV, I had hoped that this would make it clearer for the reader to follow.

Also I will be posting updates regarding the series' on my profile page, so make sure to check up and see what's new and where I'm at.

Keme
Keme
98 Followers