Anxious Deputy and Smiling Sheriff

Story Info
Ironic tale of murder and greed.
2.2k words
4.19
7.5k
1
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
robertreams
robertreams
157 Followers

Over the long head table in the Blue Room of the Holiday Inn, west in Dallas, Texas, hung a huge Banner. WELCOME MEMBERS OF THE S.S.S.C. it blared in brilliant red, white, and blue. The Southern States Sheriff's Conference was in its second day and some boring little twit from Memphis, Tennessee was blabbing something about the latest Techniques in firearm identification.

That is, Deputy Sheriff William Taylor would have been bored, had he been listening. But Bill was not listening. He was busily trying to suppress a broad grin from spreading across his face. He was pleased with himself at the foolproof plan he had engineered for later this evening. For three, long four-year terms he had waited for this night. Waited hoped and secretly worked for the defeat of Sheriff Mosley Jackson. But the stupid lazy people of Crawford County voted for Brown over and over, despite the riches the fat slob raked in from the graft and corruption that infected his office. Well, this would be the end of that!

How fine the golden letters would look on the Sheriff's door when it was his name emblazoned there. Emblazoned! He loved that word. He had read it in a Max Brand novel and had immediately created a mental picture of that door.

Soon it would all be his. His clever plan was coming to pass. Sure, of course, at first he would be 'acting' sheriff, but he was a shoo-in to be elected after the 'temporary' period. Everyone knew, everyone accepted that he was the right man for the job. And tonight would be the night. Tonight, Sheriff Samuel Mosley Jackson would die!

Mose Jackson had lobster and Porterhouse for lunch. Bill grabbed a burger at the local "Stop and Chaw". In the beginning The fat pig had tried to prevent him from attending the conference, but he had gone over the sheriff's head and gotten permission from he county board. Provided, of course, that he pay his own expenses. And lately, because of the plan, he had been more broke than usual. Though it had cost him most of his retirement money, he considered it an investment. After it was over, HE would be the one making all the great deals, raking in the cash.

Immediately after lunch, Bill made his way to the room next to his, where the sheriff was, most likely, having his afternoon snooze. It brought him a small twinge of pleasure to knock louder than necessary. "Sheriff Jackson," he yelled loudly.

Finally the door opened a crack. "Yeah Billy Boy, what is it?"

"Sorry to . . . uh . . . disturb you sir, but I have to talk to you. It's very important."

"Well Billy boy, come in. You come right on in. I allays got time ta talk ta one a ma depitys."

Mose Jackson stretched out on the king sized bed, pudgy hands linked over his enormous belly. His colorful red-and blue cowboy boots with the silver caps on the toes made a deep impression on the cheap chenille bed spread. "Now. What kin I do fer ya"

"It's about the Crawford case, sir," Bill said.

"Er you still thumpin' that ole mule? Why thet case's so cold the best coon dog in the county couldn't sniff it out."

"Well, sir, I've got a theory about the case and some evidence. I thought you might listen to it and tell me what you think."

"Well, git to it then. Reckon it caint hurt none ta talk."

"I think that old man Crawford was offed by his son. He sure as hell has motive enough, all that money laying around. And everybody knew they didn't get along."

"Now you lookee here, Billy boy. Ya jus caint go pokin' no finger at a man like thet. Ain't ya got a bit a sense? He'd have yer hide nailed ta the courthouse door inside a two minutes if ya came at him with acoosations like thet."

"But, but sir, I know he did it. I have even found the murder weapon. It's registered to the Cawford kid and it was thrown in Thompson creek."

"Now look, kid, smarten up! No jury in Crawford county is gonna jail a Crawford no matter what you think he did."

The sheriff's voice had lost that phoney "down home" quality he used to disarm everyone. "You will never get to be sheriff of anything if you insist on doing stupid things like accusing a Crawford of anything."

"Now look. We're at a convention here. All them fancy speeches and such, (the dialect returned), well, they is jes fer the show. We are really here ta have us a good ol' time. Now why donja jes simmer down. Go out tanight and git ya some a that good ol' Dallas poontang. You'll feel better about the whole thing in the mornin'. "Here! The sheriff struggled mightily, but finally reached the wallet in his back pocket. He handed Bill a fifty dollar bill.

"But Sir. I can't I mean we cant just let. . ." The sheriff interrupted.

"Deputy Taylor! I run this department and I will continue to run it until I am in my grave. And maybe even after that. Haw Haw Haw. I say we are dropping the case and so we are. Do you understand?"

"Yes sir," Bill said, his face bright red.

He was halfway to the door when he whirled on the sheriff. "No, you look you fat old slob." I've got the goods on the Crawford kid and I am gonna nail him. I'll be the most famous lawman in the country. I am going to get him and no one can stop me. Especially you. Rafe Tolliver just broke out of the state pen, shall we say, with a little help from a friend. He knows just where to find you There's nothing you can do to stop it. It's all set." Bill didn't tell the sheriff that he had filed the firing pin off of the fat pig's service automatic, but he would find out. Boy would he find out.

Big Mose Jackson looked startled for a moment, but quickly recovered and laughed in Bill's face. "Ha. Ha. Ha. I ain't skeered a Rafe Tolliver and I sure as hell ain't skeered a you ya little pissant. When we gits back ta Crawford County, the first thing I'm gonna do is fire ya! Then I'm gonna kick yer pukey ass. Now git otta here for I changes ma mind and kicks it rat now."

For the next few hours Bill worried. Maybe he shouldn't have told the sheriff anything. Maybe the old man would call in the Dallas Police and surround the place or something. Naw, he didn't think so. The sheriff was the type to handle it himself. What if Rafe got careless and got picked up?

No! Everything would be fine, great, he couldn't fail. The key was the girl. Ah yes, the girl. He knew that ol' fat ass would never be able to resist the girl. He laughed out loud at the thought of Mose with that beautiful young thing. The grand it had cost him was well worth it. When this was all over, he might try a taste of that himself. See! He told himself he was already thinking like a sheriff.

*** *** ***

That evening, Samuel Mosley Jackson sat at the bar in the air-conditioned Plantation lounge of the Dallas Holiday Inn, sipping on his favorite drink, Comfort and Coke. After four or five he began to feel pretty darn good. He smiled as he remembered his "talk" with that stupid young Billy Boy this afternoon. "What a fool that boy was! Arrest Jim Crawford! Ridiculous!"

Mose's eye was caught immediately when she strolled in. "Man what a looker! Built like a brick shit house. And man, them legs, whew, they went all the way up!" His broad round face split with a grin when she plunked down at the bar, two stools away, crossed her gorgeous legs and smiled. He watched her out of the corner of his eye as she sipped on some fancy green drink. He waited 'til she was nearly finished before he spoke up.

"Howdy ma'am," he intoned, tipping his huge hat. "Pleasin' Night ta night ain't it?"

"I find it a trifle warm myself," the blond replied.

"Class," Mose thought to himself. "Real class!"

"Kin I buy ya a drink," he asked politely.

"Well . . . In the middle of the long pause Mose though for a second that he had blown it by moving too fast, but she finally replied. "All right. Why not."

Mose was about to rise and move to the stool next to her, when, to his surprise, she stood and faced him directly. "I really detest sitting on bar stools. Would you mind terribly if we moved to that quaint little booth over there?"

"Sho' 'Nuff," Mose said, bowing and laughing. "Lead on little lady."

After they had been seated and served, he discovered that her name was Linda Morgan and she was from Chicago. "Samuel Mosely Jackson at yer service ma'am," he introduced himself, thinking of a few ways of servicing her. Not that The sheriff was fooled, she was a pro all right. He hadn't been sheriff all these years without bein' able to spot a hooker in a dog's fart. But still, "class", he told himself, "a class hooker."

"Mosta ma frens call me Mose." he added.

"Well, then I shall surely call you Mose, my friend. What brings you to Dallas, Mose?"

"I'm here with the Sheriff's convention, ma'am."

"Are you a sheriff, then, Mose?"

Mose only nodded and smiled., his big grand winning friendly sheriff smile.

You must have to do some very exciting and important, and even dangerous things, Mose?"

"Sometimes," Mose drawled. "Mos'ly it's jes picking up drunks and bustin' up stills."

"I'll bet you are just the modest type, sheriff. I'll bet you've done some very exciting things."

Mose's pants suddenly got too tight in the crotch, for as she said 'exciting' she placed her hand atop his where it lay on the table. Mose responded by placing his huge ham of a hand over hers. By the end of the next drink, their knees were touching under the table and Mose could barely speak over the lump in his throat.

At two A.M., Bill took up his place in the alcove near the ice machine, about twenty-five feet from the door of the girl's room. Rafe would be arriving any time now. At almost exactly 2:30, the pig sheriff would be emerging from Linda's room, as per Bill's monetary arrangement with her. He would have the surprise of walking straight into Rafe's smoking 44. He'd be even more surprised when his own pistol refused to fire.

Bill had a surprise for the other man, too, for he would shoot Rafe down as he reached for his payment. Everyone would see that he had been only a moment too late in trying to save the sheriff from revenge killing by that dreadful ex-con he had put away five years earlier. It would be close enough to make him a hero and a shoo-in to be the next sheriff.

It took all Bill's self-control to keep from laughing out loud. His hour of triumph was now almost at hand. His palms were sweaty and his breath came in short gulps. From his current vantage point he would even be able to watch!.

A sudden blinding pain struck Bill beneath his ribs on his right side! He reached for his service revolver, but his arm seemed unwilling to obey his brain's command. He spiraled in a gentle pirouette as he slumped to the floor, his red life ebbing out onto the loud print hotel carpet.

Above him he heard the mocking drawl of Mose Jackson. "Ya shudda known better, boy. Ya shudda known ya cuddent beat ol' Mos, and ya shudda known ya cuddent outspend the Crawford kid. All that money, all that influence. Ya cudda been successful and rich and happy, but ya hadda be so fricken SMART."

"But your gun,". . . firing pin. . ."

"yeah, well ya stupid little dipshit. Donja know I check ma gun near bout 20 times a day.

Looks like I gotat clean it one more time today .

### ### ###

"It's a damn shame, tha's what it is," Sheriff Samuel Mosley Jackson said to the members of the press assembled in his lush office. Standing next to Mose, his hand on the sheriff's shoulder as a sign of firm support, stood David Crawford, scion of the Crawford family which had done so much to drag Crawford county out of the barren Texas wilderness, and a shoo-in for the job of County Commissioner in the upcoming elections.

"A downright shame. A young officer like that, cut down in the prime of his life. We know that the young deputy was shot by a 32 revolver, formerly used in a series of crimes by one Raphael, 'Rafe', Tolliver, who has recently escaped from Mason State Prison and was last seen heading south to Mexico. All the resources available to the Crawford County Sheriff's department will be aimed at bringing this dastardly felon to justice.

"In addition, William Taylor's name will be added to the monument in front of this building, dedicated to the brave officers who have given their lives in the cause of justice. He will also be awarded posthumously, the Medal of Valor, the highest award our state can bestow."

robertreams
robertreams
157 Followers