As It Seems Ch. 08

Story Info
Her head was still heavy from last night's wine.
8k words
4.58
20.9k
6
Story does not have any tags

Part 8 of the 10 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 07/17/2008
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
rowan3
rowan3
196 Followers

Her head was still heavy from last night's wine, making it hard to open her eyes. She heard the steady thud of her pillow's heartbeat; she heard the comforting sigh of Janabelle trying to pull herself out of sleep. Alexa turned her head to see her eyes fluttering open. Each one laying their head on the opposite ends of Gauge's stomach. Each comparing their position.

Janabelle thinking of the near perfection of Gauge's body, the long sinewy lines, the firm muscles, the eat radiating from his skin. His fingers brushed absently in her hair, the soft constant snore brought on by too much wine and the combination of kitchen spices that seemed to cling to his skin. She met Alexa's eyes blankly, oblivious to her friend.

Alexa's thoughts ran some what of a different path, running closer to curiosity. How would it feel to lie on Connor's hard rippling stomach? Would it feel like laying on a slab of marble, like she did when her family went to visit her Nonna Hadrian in Italy, cool and smooth? Or would it be hard but pliable? Would the heat from his body waft up and wrap around her? What rhythm did his heart beat? Was it a long hummmm or did it beat wild and free?

She closed her eyes too weak to will away her thoughts. She lifted herself on her elbow peering over Jana to see Gauge lost in his own thoughts and fantasies, which she was sure Jana was the star. He gave her a weary smile and glanced down at Jana. It broke Alexa's heart when she saw the raw longing in his eyes. She wondered if anyone would ever love her the way Gauge obviously loved Bella. And would she fight it as much as Janabelle tried. Alexa glanced around looking for any sign that Connor came back. He'd been gone since Saturday and it was Monday morning. She hadn't heard hide nor hair and she was starting to worry, it didn't help that the kids kept asking when their uncle Nathan was coming back.

Disappointment and relief twisted her insides creating a physical ache so intense she gasped. Both Gauge and Jana snapped out of their reverie to gaze curiously at her.

"Is it your wrist?" Jana asked anxiously, sitting up ready to inspect Alexa's weak throbbing limb.

"I-" alexa smiled sheepishly her face warming, "no I'm fine- it's fine I just sat up too fast. It-um made my head hurt." She mingled the truth with her own denial. She rushed up before they could ask any more questions ignoring the heavy dizziness threatening to take her back down and the awkward stares from her two friends.

She went to the kitchen sitting at the table with her head in her hands. She had to wake the kids soon Daniel had school and Clara would go to Jen's parents. She straightened when she heard the back door open but didn't turn. She wouldn't give that asshole the benefit of seeing how worried she was about him, or how relieved she would be to see him.

"It's about time you got back. Where the hell have you been?"

"Is that how I get greeted when I come home from a long trip?" She jumped at the deep smooth voice, running into his arms like a little girl greeting her father.

"David!" he swung her in his arms. Realization engulfed him with her hug;this is what coming home is supposed to feel like.No heated yelling, no cold silence, no bitterness or anger, just a nice warm hug. Now David knew what he had to do, if not for himself then for his children, for his whole fucking family. He closed his eyes pushing away the sudden weight of duty, forcing a smile.

"Hey, sweetheart," he held alexa so tight she didn't have the breath to tell him that he was crushing her. She laughed when he let her go, falling back slightly as he steadied her, "so who were you cussing out this time?" he demanded leaning against the counter folding his arms, his dark heavy brows raised expectantly, his forest green eyes twinkling with mischief.

Alexa shrugged embarrassed, she'd almost forgotten about Connor, she'd almost forgotten how worried she was, and she knew she wouldn't be able to hide anything from David.

"Tell me or I'll tell dad about his princepessa's temper."

"Ha! Like he'd believe anything bad about his princess!" Alexa scoffed folding her arms across her chest and raising an eyebrow.

"Willing to bet on that?" David grinned mocking her posture. They played the staring game they always had as kids and maybe played too often now as adults. Alexa bit her lip a sure sign that she was about to loose, maybe she should tell him. What would be the harm? Maybe she'd be able to get some information about Connor, like why in all the time he's been married to Jenny, she is just meeting him. Why was he just now coming into their lives?

David watched her eyes, he could see her working out her thoughts as their game became more than that. He was starting to worry.

"Alexa," her name was enough of a warning to make her jolt.

"Nathan, he left Saturday, he called to tell me to pick up my car and that he'd be home in a few hours and we haven't heard from him since." She shrugged heading toward the fridge to pull out breakfast. She pulled out a couple of boxes of juice and was about to pull out some of the left-overs from the dinner Gauge made last night but thought better, maybe he could fix breakfast for the kids, he was drooling last night when he saw a cooking show on some food channel.

"It's probably for the best, he has a lot going on." David said evenly, watching his baby sisters nervous fidgeting. The funniest part was half the time she didn't know how obvious she was, "did something happen that I should know or talk to him about?"

"What?! Wh-why would you ask me something like that?" she demanded turning on him so fast she dropped the juice boxes.

"I just wanted to make sure he wasn't trying to take advantage of my little sister."

"Is he the type?" she asked remembering the other night how Connor pressed her against the door his hand in her panties his fingers-fuck his fingers.

"Maybe," David shrugged," I only met him a few times, but be careful. If he tries anything-if he tried anything I don't want you protecting him." He said running a finger over Alexa's braced wrist. She flinched, why did everyone keep talking about her wrist? Did she not exist before the whole debacle with Marcus? Why wouldn't they let her forget about it and him? And why did everyone say she was protecting him? She wasn't she was just too humiliated to tell them what happened. What was she supposed to say? I wasn't a good enough lay so my boyfriend handcuffed me to the bed because he thought it would turn me on.

"I better go wake the kids," she stepped away avoiding David's out stretched hand. She brushed passed Gauge and Bella muttering a quick apology.

"Hey what's up?" Bella asked giving David a long hug while he extended a hand to Gauge.

"Same bullshit, what's been going on here?"

"Nothing really, we met your brother-in-law, Connor." Janabelle shrugged pulling out supplies for Gauge to cook. It was pretty much a given that he was going to make crepes with strawberry wine sauce.

"You haven't eaten have you?" He asked before taking the supplies.

"Yup, but if you're cooking I'm eatin' again." David said as he sat down on the Kitchen Island watching him work and Janabelle prep.

"You don't mind?"

"Whenever you have the urge to make anything please do, I've living on fucking gruel and ramen."

---

She gripped the steering wheel with shaky sweaty hands, ringing it nervously. Her breath was heavy with emotion but if you asked her she wouldn't be able to tell you which ones, a mix of anger, frustration fear and anticipation, but mostly it was fear. She slowed her breathing trying to gain control. She knew everyone waiting in that house was against her and she had to figure out how to turn it into her favor, how could she play this?

She let out one last cleansing breath, checked her make- up if only for something to do. She played with her long mousy brown bangs contrasting with her cornfield blue eyes.

"I can do this," she muttered leaving the safety of her car to the lions den. She tried calling back up but he wasn't answering her calls, not that she was surprised. Her brother always had better things to do than help her, she thought bitterly. She pushed her key in the slot, jumping slightly at the loud laughs coming form inside. Of course he'd have back up. It was bad enough she'd have to conjure up an excuse for her husband and his perfect fucking brat sister, but she'd have to do this in front of said sister's friends. All their eyes would be on her judging her, sizing her; reminding her that she didn't fit.

She met her husband's frosty green glare with false calm. They didn't speak as she pushed her way passed him. She breezed to the fridge pulling out a bottle of beer, feeling their eyes on her. She wondered when David would loose control and start the argument. She didn't have to wait long.

"So you want to tell me where the fuck you've been?" David was at the kitchen island, his dark hair mussed, his forest green eyes flashing with cold anger. His voice had a hard edge she hadn't heard before and she briefly wondered if she should be worried, if maybe she over-estimated her ability to manipulate a situation. She watched his hands on the counter balling into fists then releasing repeatedly. Knuckles-white, knuckles-red over and over.

"Are we really going to do this now?" she moved to kiss his cheek slightly stunned when he pulled away.

"You're goddamn right; we're going to do this now-"

"But the kids-"she licked her lips nervously

"Now you want to worry about the kids?" his voice was low and cool. He wouldn't look at her. He stared down at his fists.

"I'm not doing this in front of your fucking entourage! The only thing missing is miss fucking perfect princess Alexa. That's what you all call her right? She can do no wrong-" David stood up so fast the stool slammed against the floor. Jenny flinched as he got in her face. She knew he wouldn't hurt her but there was still something about the Hadrian's that made them a force to be reckoned with.

"This has nothing to with her and everything to do with you! Your lying! Your manipulating! Your need to be the center of a-fucking-ttention! Tell me what she ever did to you, other than be a better friend than you deserve?!"

Jenny had never been as relieved for Janabelle's presence as she stood between them and Gauge as he hooked an arm around David's shoulders pulling him away.

"Not now man your kids are still in the house. You don't want them to hear you-" but just then they heard the sniffle of a little girl and her muffled sobs as she clung to her Zia Alley's neck. Then just behind Alexa they saw the head of a wide-eyed little boy, trying so hard to be strong and push shimmering tears from his eyes.

"I'm-I didn't know, the kids were so excited that you were home." Alexa's words were burdened with emotion. She hoped the kids; her poor babies didn't hear the quiver in her voice. Janabelle lifted Clara from her arms, or at least tried the little girl clung so tight she had to pry her off.

"Let's go Clara your hurting, Zia's arm." The soft voice of reason came from Daniel who stepped forward as though to protect both Clara and Alexa from everyone in the room. Clara let go turning her grip to Janabelle's neck. Daniel glared at both his parents before taking Alexa by the hand, "c'mon I'm gonna be late for school." She let him lead her and Jana followed with Clara to put her in the car seat

"You okay to drive?" Alexa nodded she couldn't speak. "Do you want some company?" again she shook her head. She would take the kids to their destinations then go home and take a shower hot enough to burn her skin and her thoughts away. She avoided hugs and glances as she got in the car.

"Everything will be okay Alley." Daniel whispered patting her hand and kissing her cheek when she parked in front of his school.

Alexa smiled, "I know baby, have a good day at school...and remember no matter what is going on your mom and dad and I love you."

"I know." He said but his little voice held the same uncertainty she felt. "I love you too." he murmured

"Be good." He nodded and ran towards the school doors. Alexa looked back at Clara her crying fit soon turned into a nap. Her phone vibrated with a text.

After u drop the kids come back.

She sighed praying for every red light to last a few minutes longer.

She pulled up the drive way of Jen's parent's house. She pulled out all of Clara's bags, why did this girl have so many bags for one afternoon? She wondered trying to figure out how to get her out of the car seat and carry all the bags. She could wake Clara up but that would just make her impossible to deal with. Though she didn't care if Jen's parents had trouble, she didn't want her to be upset and unhappy all day.

"You look like you could use some help?" Alexa gasped dropping the bags and turning. Her face was flushed and her eyes were wide. She pressed her hand to her heart blinking rapidly. She opened her mouth to say something but her mind went blank as she came face o face with a par of the warmest brown eyes in a handsome dark face.

"Hey I'm sorry; I didn't mean to scare you." He reached out to steady her and picking up the bags she dropped. "You just looked like you could use some help." He nodded towards her wrist, cuddled in its brace.

"Oh no thanks, I can-"

The stranger laughed it was smooth and easy making her want to smile. "Don't tell me you're one of those."

"Excuse me?" her face warmed as her eyes glared.

"No ...what I meant was...you know what let's start over. My name is Allen- Allen Walters I just moved next door."

She eyed him warily before taking the hand he offered, "Alexa Hadrian and this is my niece Clara, I'm dropping her off." Alexa winced, waiting for the curious frown people gave her when she introduced her family. To his credit Allen didn't show any signs of surprise.

"So Alexa Hadrian Aunt to Clara are you going to let me help you?" she sighed and nodded. It was nice not to be pushed or bullied. "Thank you," she murmured meekly as he pulled Clara out of her car seat. The little girl snored; her eyes cracking open before rolling back into dreamland. Alexa led him to the door.

It opened before she even knocked. She met a pair of frosty blue eyes glaring at her, set in a calm even tranquil face.

"Alexa! So you're here..." Rebecca O'Connor smiled at her neighbor and granddaughter then cut an angry stare to Alexa "...finally" Alexa took a deep breath, the last thing she wanted was to cop an attitude right here in front of this stranger. She smiled gritting her teeth. "And I see you've met our new neighbor Dr. Walters." Rebecca said never taking her eyes off of Clara as she lifted her from the good doctor. Alexa jaw dropped slightly. He didn't look like a doctor he defiantly didn't have that I'm better than you attitude most doctors had and he didn't introduce himself as a doctor.

Dr. Walters glanced at Alexa almost shyly. "Umm yes, he offered to help me with Clara." She said as Rebecca waved them in as she laid Clara on the couch.

"Would you all like some tea or coffee?" she offered to Dr. Walters.

"No I better go...it was nice meeting you doctor." Alexa smiled ignoring Rebecca's rudeness, knowing very well that she wasn't really inviting her.

"You too, I'll uh I'll walk you out-"

"No really-"

"No I'd really like to." He said so smoothly and sincerely she couldn't say no again.

"O-okay, I'll see you this afternoon Rebecca. Oh and if you see –Nathan tell him it would have been nice if he called." Alexa hoped no one could hear the edge in her voice. Not noticing the tension in Rebecca's shoulders at the mention of her son.

She didn't bother to look at them or escort them out as they left. Alexa's cheeks flamed as she walked out the door. "I'm sorry about that." She said meekly.

"Wow I take it things aren't going to well with the in laws?" he put his hands up in surrender when she shot him a glance.

She shrugged not really wanting to share with this stranger, "thanks for walking me to my car I should get going."

"Wait-I don't want to sound like I'm trying to pick you up but by chance would like to have some coffee with me, we can go some where or we can just hang out here."

"That would be nice, but-"he could see the doubt clouding her eyes.

"Please I just moved here and I need a friend." He smiled so easily, and his voice was full of warmth and humor she agreed.

"There is a little café down the road. I could drive us or we could walk."

"Lady's choice,"

"Is it okay if we walk? It's just such a beautiful day." She wasn't going to tell him that driving was hard for her, or that she didn't want some strange man hanging out in her car, doctor or not.

Alexa felt her phone vibrate with a text message, and decided to ignore it. She wanted no part of the on going family drama, she just wanted to chill out with someone who didn't know her, who wasn't going to push or bully. She just needed a break, it didn't hurt that her escort had the easiest smile and softest brown eyes, beautiful dark skin. He was tall and slender but obviously well built. He wasn't threatening or intimidating, he was...nice. His voice was deep but had a soft thoughtfulness about it. Like he listened to every word you said, she knew from experience that was rare, especially for a doctor.

"If you don't mind me asking, how did that happen? I understand if you don't want to talk about it. Just the doctor in me..." he offered her his arm as they walked. The sun beat down warming her back; she loved that feeling especially after leaving the frostiness of the O'Connor household. Maybe it was the warmth of the sun or his easy way of asking that tempted her to confess. But she couldn't, she didn't think she'd ever be able to tell anyone what happened to her that night. She didn't want anyone not even her closest friends knowing that the thought of sex frightened her so much she could barely tolerate being touched. Which led to her current predicament?

"I don't want to talk about that, I-I don't like talking about it." Her face flamed as she avoided his gaze.

"That's fine, but I would like to pry one more time-" they got to the café, he opened the door for her and took a seat outside, he even pulled a chair out for her to sit. "When was the last time you got it checked out?"

She shrugged he could see her discomfort. "I'm sorry, It just looks like an older wound...you know what never mind, just tell me a little about yourself." No one had ever asked her about herself. Everyone was so busy telling her what was wrong with her or what she needed to do, no one ever took the time out ask her.

Allen watched her visibly relax as she talked about her niece and nephew. He could see the light and love in her eyes as she talked about her family and friends. She even asked him questions about himself. That was something he wasn't used to. Women asked him questions but it usually wasn't genuine. They were intrigued because he was a doctor, which was the depth of their interest.

He groaned in disgust as his phone vibrated, he was the on call ER surgeon. "I'm so sorry, I have to-"

"No, I understand. It was nice meeting you though...maybe we can do this again sometime."

"Yeah, maybe we can." He said pulling her chair out and offering her his arm. He walked her back to her car, opening the door for her. "Here is my number, call if you ever want to hang again."

"I will, thank you." She put the card in her purse and he watched her drive off. Wondering if he'd ever see her again.

Gauge and Bella excused themselves or rather Gauge excused them. He didn't want Bella in the middle of the Hadrian's family dispute. He liked David and didn't think he'd ever raise his hand to a woman, it was just that she had her own problems. She didn't need to try to fix or help people who could handle them selves. Bella glared as he pulled her outside.

rowan3
rowan3
196 Followers