Back to Bristol Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
GaryAPB
GaryAPB
861 Followers

"OK, I'll get onto it. You will see in your messages that the BBC wants to interview you for their local news programme. I guess it's the usual two minutes on a major local company being taken over, so they want to ask about changes. What do you want to do about that?"

"I'm OK with it, but get someone from PR up, and get all the HQ Press Releases that they've put out, then I can tow the party line and not put my foot in it."

As she turned to go, I added one more thing, "Can you get hold of whoever is in charge of these offices, and get them to come and see me. I need to get out of this stupid room."

As soon as the door closed behind her, I put the sheaf of messages down and sat back in my chair. What was I really going to do with Peter Davies working here? It was quite simple, I hated the man's guts. I didn't want him to just resign and go away and get another good job somewhere else. And if he did, he may move away from Bristol taking my boys with him. But I did want him to suffer, I wanted revenge. Revenge that made him suffer, but not my boys, certainly not me, and probably I didn't even want Molly to suffer (or not too much!). I'll just have to give it thought and come up with a plan. In the meantime, I'll do my best to avoid him, and leave him to be worried that his career has just come to a grinding halt.

I'd got about that far in my thinking when Carole was back with Neil Davidson again and a woman. I was introduced to Sheila Armstrong, who apparently looks after all office allocation, furniture and general housekeeping. I asked Carole to stay, as I thought this effects her as much as me:

"It's very simple, I want a smaller office. This just sends out the wrong message. It is neither my style nor ITI's. So, what can you do?

Sheila frowned, "Not a lot, unless you want to authorise a bigger budget. There is no easy answer, no spare office suite. The only thing we can do is get the walls and partitions changed to give this floor a completely different layout, and that will be money, time and disruption."

"Can't you just partition a bit of it off, punch a new door through, and we'd have another conference room?"

"And I'd dearly love that. We're desperately short of meeting rooms. But it won't work, there's no access, and anyway it would be on the Director's floor, it wouldn't solve the problem."

I looked around the three of them, they stared blankly back at me. Eventually, I had an idea. "Carole, didn't you tell me yesterday that the Boardroom was kept exclusively for directors?"

"Yes. That's the way Mr Bauer liked it."

"Well, he isn't here anymore. From right now, the Boardroom is just the best of our meeting rooms. It will remain that directors will have priority. After that, meetings with outside people come next, especially sales meetings. But then it's up for grabs by anyone. It is a company facility, not the special preserve of any one group. Someone will have to keep a diary, if that isn't done already."

Neil looked at Carole, and said "We can sort that out later."

I continued, "And as for this room, Sheila, can you get me a nice conference table for about six, maybe eight, with comfortable chairs for in here?"

"Yes, that'll be fairly simple. I think they still make this range of furniture , so it will match your desk and wall units."

"Good, and rearrange the chairs and sofas, I only need one conversation area, around one coffee table. Lose the rest somewhere." I smiled at her, "And just rearrange it to look nice, friendly and relaxed. It looks harsh and like a huge headmaster's study at the moment."

Carole smiled, "And all your committee meetings in here then?"

I smiled, "We'll see how many survive, but yes." I paused, "And one other thing. As far as I'm concerned, this room, like the Boardroom, is a company asset. If I'm not using it, then anyone is welcome to hold their meetings in here. But, Carole, can you make sure that my desk is clear of anything confidential before you let anyone in."

I smiled at Sheila, "There! Problem solved, and maybe I've eased your meeting room problem a bit. And that's all far more my style. Oh, and a final thought, any chance of a slightly more modest desk chair, this one looks like the villain's chair from a James Bond movie."

"If you insist. But all I can do is buy another one. That one is under a year old, and I daren't reallocate it, no one can end up with the MD's chair."

I sighed, "OK, forget it."

They all filed out, and I did start going through my messages this time.

Soon, or so it seemed until I glanced at my watch, Carole was back "We've got a lunch date, remember?"

I grabbed my jacket, "Yes. Where are we going?"

"A new restaurant out at Chew Magna. Its got good write ups, but I haven't been there. But you said we could take our time."

"Well, I know where that is, we'll take my car."

We drove along making small talk. I asked after her family and I did learn that Carole had been married for twenty three years, that she had two non-identical twin sons who were both at university, and that her husband, Rick, was a plumber. I also learnt that she came from a big family, with loads of uncles and aunts and cousins, and that they were still loosely in touch with each other. That took us all the way to the restaurant.

Once we were settled, I looked at her. "Well, how am I doing?"

"Good, so far. You've done nothing dramatic, but the change in style is being noticed."

"I guess Henri Bauer was a bit of a stickler for formality."

She smiled, "You could say that."

"Is it really true what you said yesterday, that he would show what he thought about people by how close to his desk he would let them get?"

"Yes, but what he didn't know was that plenty of people just used to laugh at it. He didn't hear it, but I could. When they went down the corridor, some of them would make comments like 'Yesterday it was ten feet, today it was six. I'll be on the board by this time next week..' But some took it seriously, and could be very hurt if they had to literally take a backward step."

We laughed together, which was good. But then she asked, "Has Peter Davies taken a backward step?"

"That's to the point!" I observed, but she just smiled, "And I honestly don't know, but don't tell anyone that." I paused to collect my thoughts, "I had a good marriage; I loved my wife a lot. I remember when I first met her, she was twenty and I was twenty three." I smiled, "I remember her twenty first birthday. It was a good day for jewellery was how she described it. I spent all my money and bought her a single strand cultured pearl necklace. I was deeply in love by then. In the evening, her parents wanted to take her out to dinner, but they did invite me, so I guess they recognised what we meant to each other. Anyway, when I arrived at her house I was told to wait in the sitting room: she came into the room wearing her new necklace, and she looked so beautiful. I asked her to marry me as we stood there, I just knew. And she said Yes without a moment's hesitation. We told her parents over the dinner."

"Were they pleased?"

"Yes, I think so. Her dad, Ralph, seemed very pleased. I think her mother, Susan, was pleased, but in the later years she seemed a bit less enthusiastic towards me. I never found out what I did wrong. Anyway, the problem we had was that I had hardly any money to buy her the sort of engagement ring that I thought she should have, I'd spent it all on the necklace. But I did buy her a simple, small diamond ring the next day. It was just less than she deserved."

"I doubt whether she minded. So what went wrong?"

"I wish I knew. We got married and bought a tiny flat. Then we moved into a tiny house, and Jamie came along. Then we moved again into a bit bigger house, and Ben came along. Then we moved into the house of our dreams, five bedrooms, three bathrooms, it was just what we wanted to bring the boys up in, and then she met Peter Davies. She fell in love with him, and I was out of it. I was back living in a tiny flat, and she was back to living in a tiny house that he'd bought."

"There's more to it than that."

"Oh. Yes. Lots more. I wish I knew some of it. But that's the gist of it from my side." I wondered whether to give Carole my real rant and rave about what I thought of a man that muscled in on my marriage, but decided that it would be unfair to her. So, instead I asked what she thought of how important Peter Davies was to the Company.

Just then our food was served, so there was a lull in the conversation. But while that was going on, I noticed Carole was obviously choosing her reply carefully.

Once the waiter had withdrawn, we took our first mouthfuls, and then I looked at her and waited.

"I don't know how important Peter Davies is. I assume he's very good at his job, he's been promoted several times whilst I've been in a position to know." She paused and I waited, "There is a huge culture clash between Marston Abbey and the Factory. Out at the Abbey they are academic, they're scientists and researchers, living in their own little world. It's not part of what some refer to as real life in the rest of the Company."

"Don't tell me, that was one of Bauer's committees to improve that liaison?"

"Yes it was. Mr Bauer believed that Research was the future for the Company. He was very close to Dr McBaine, and quite close to Peter Davies. They won't like it if there is a rift between them and upper Management, but some others might like to drive the wedge in."

"I don't have a problem with Piers McBaine. In fact, I rather liked him. He struck me as rather nice."

"Well Peter Davies is his protégé, and he'll be protective, so he might not like you so much."

"So, who else is not going to like me very much?"

"On the Board? I don't think you'll have any trouble with Neil Davidson. John Wheeler and Bill Elswood from Sales and Client Service already love you, because you'll be good with the clients, and doing presentations and things. Mr Bauer was more of an acquired taste, and some customers never acquired it. Most of them are fairly neutral at the moment. Your problem will be Dennis Murrell."

"Production."

"And been here man and boy for too many years. No one knows how it should be run better than Dennis. And it's quite simple, it should be run as it was in 1960 when Walter Franks himself was still in charge."

"I got some bad vibes off him yesterday. Thanks for the warning. Why isn't Piers McBaine on the Board?"

"I don't know, I guess because of the culture problem. Same's true for the IT guys, they have a different culture as well. Mind you Tim Johnson is probably a bit young."

"And that's another angle. It's all very chauvinistic and ... let's say mature."

She laughed, "It is a bit. But if you're going to try and change that, well won't we have fun!"

For a while we talked small talk, mainly about the restaurant and the food. But then Carole played a blinder: "Is Helene going to come and join you?"

I stared at her, she smiled sweetly; she knew exactly what she'd asked.

"No, is the simple answer to that." I paused, then I sighed and accepted she wanted a longer answer. "Molly, my wife, was the great love of my life. OK I lost her, there was nothing I could do about that, and it was all a long time ago anyway. But I doubt whether I'll get married again. It wouldn't be fair on either of us, and I now know it's bloody painful when it ends. So, no, I decided that it wasn't fair on Helene to ask her to join me in the UK. Now, satisfy my curiosity, how did you know about her?"

Carole totally ignored my question, "If she loved you, and wanted to come with you, wasn't that her decision?"

"She was getting close to wanting to marry me. And she deserves a happy marriage and children and to be in a loving relationship for ever and ever. I couldn't offer her that."

"So, you'll never marry again?"

"I doubt it very much. Oh, I'm not saying I won't have meaningful and loving relationships with some ladies in the future years. Maybe, one day some girl will get me to the altar again. But, I doubt it."

"That's sad. And before I answer your question, I've got one for you?" I was becoming aware that Carole was in charge of this conversation. She was a strong woman, but somewhere, somehow, I felt we were building a good relationship, so I was fairly relaxed.

"Which is?"

"Your marriage fell apart when you were at Jamesons, right?"

"Yes. Why?"

"That explains something." Now it was her turn to sigh and decide to explain herself, "When we heard that it was going to be you, last Thursday, well naturally I was very interested in who you were, what sort of person you were. Well, I had plenty of excuses to phone ITI London Office. And they gave you a glowing reference. Actually the girl I was talking to said that if she was ever transferred to a subsidiary company, then she hoped it would be the one where you are. She was sure that you ran a happy team."

I smiled, "You didn't get her phone number by any chance?"

Carole returned my smile, "No. But I did learn that you were previously at NDF and Jamesons. Well, I phoned NDF first, before they all went home with the time difference and all that. And they too gave you a glowing reference, in fact they were sorry to lose you. And that's where I learnt about Helene. But then I phoned Jamesons, it was easy to phone them, they're only just around the corner."

"Not quite true, but I know what you mean."

"Anyway, they said you started out as sort of pleasantly OK, no more and no less. But then you turned into a very strong boss, and were quite heavy with them. They really didn't like you. It had me worried. Now I understand why you were like that."

"You are very shrewd. Well done."

We'd finished eating, and the waiter came to clear the table. I opted just for coffee, but Carole couldn't resist the strawberry mousse from the trolley.

Carole had been quiet and thoughtful, digesting what she'd learnt. I watched her, her eyes had softened, and she looked straight at me, "You must have loved her very much." She paused, "You don't strike me as the sort of man to bear grudges. But I suspect that if you do make an exception in Peter Davies's case, then he'd better watch out."

"I'll stay inside Company rules." I observed wryly, and hoping to close this bit of the conversation.

But Carole was not going to be dissuaded from giving me her thoughts, "I'm sure you will. And please don't hurt yourself either. Convince yourself that it is all too long ago, and he isn't worth it. Please."

I decided to close the subject, "Well he's got a pretty powerful hand, if only he knew it. He houses, and is head of the household where my two sons live. And getting to know them again and becoming part of their lives is my highest priority."

"You aren't in their lives already? Oh, how could you? Sons need their father. You said their names were Jamie and Ben, how old are they? If you've dropped out, then you have really failed. You should be ashamed of yourself."

"Hold on a mo'. I'm not quite as bad as it seems. They're Jamie who's eight, and Ben who's seven. And as far as my parental obligations go, well, first I have never missed a single month's maintenance, and I've put it up as I've earned more. Nor have I ever missed a Christmas or birthday present. And I've always taken them on two weeks holiday every year, sometimes more often. And they've been great times. It's just the regular, once a week trips to the zoo and a McDonald's bit that I've missed."

Carole softened slightly, "Well, you were in Holland..."

"And before that I was on the international circuit with ITI. In eighteen months I only got four full weekends in the UK. How could I get down to Bristol as I should have? And before that, well I have less of an excuse. I was at Jamesons, but the divorce had only just happened, it was all very raw. I did try to be quite regular, but you have no idea how humiliating it is to wait outside your wife's new husband's house to have your own children sent out to you. I really hated it. After a few months I got my solicitor to arrange that I'd collect and deliver from Molly's parent's house. But that wasn't much better, somehow they seemed to think that the situation was all my fault. Well I suppose they couldn't afford to blame their daughter and new son-in-law." I shrugged my shoulders at my own weak defence.

"So what are you going to do now?"

"Well, I guess I've got to announce that I'm back, and ask nicely if I could borrow my own sons for a few hours at the weekend."

Carole frowned, "It won't be easy. I guess they've got used to having been deserted by their father. They could well react in all sorts of ways to you coming back."

"Do you think so? I think we get on quite well, or we do when I take them on holiday. We've been down to Australia twice to see my Mum, and to Euro-Disney, and to one of those camps-in-the-forest holiday centres. There wasn't a problem then."

"Well, you should start by talking to your ex. She's the one who'll have to deal with any fall-out. Have you talked to her yet?"

"No, not yet. Give me a chance, this is only my second day."

"Well phone her this evening."

"Yes M'am." I smiled. I knew I had to do it, it was just going to be an awkward conversation that I wasn't looking forward to.

Carole picked up on something, "Your Mother lives in Australia. Have you got any family in Bristol?"

This was a lot easier topic, "No. I was Bristol born and bred. But my father was killed when I was three, and my brother Brian was five. I hardly remember him. He worked on the railways, and got crushed by a rolling wagon. Mum brought us up single handed. We weren't poor, she had some compensation and a pension for Dad, but we weren't rich either. But I went to the local school, as did my brother."

"You've come a long way."

"Thanks, but Brian is the one with brains. He went to Cambridge, and now lectures at Newcastle University, where he married another lecturer. I reckon he'll be a professor soon. Anyway, I went to London University, and then came back to Bristol to work. But, in my absence, someone had stolen my Mum's heart."

"Aah.. there's hope for us all."

"I reckon when she packed me off to University she felt her job was done, and relaxed for the first time in twenty years. And Len, that's her new husband, was visiting Bristol. He was a Bristolian as well, but when he got married to his first wife they emigrated to Australia, to Melbourne. Then his first wife died, and later, after a couple of years of grieving, Len was made redundant. But he now had enough money to decide to take his pension early. And he decided to have an open ended holiday in Bristol, looking up his old haunts. And he met Mum, and they fell in love."

"And had to decide where to live?"

"Exactly. Well, as I pointed out to Mum, Brian was in Newcastle, I was back in Bristol, but for how long? Brian had one baby on the way, I wasn't even married then. On the other hand, Len had two daughters and three grandchildren even then, I think it's five now, all in Melbourne. It was obvious what they should do. But they come back fairly regularly, for my wedding, for mine and Brian's children's christenings. They've been back less often in recent years, but I've taken the boys down to see them twice."

"Do you like Len?"

"Very much. He's a really nice guy. He's never tried to be a step-dad, I was too old for that anyway. But we get on very well, he's easy to talk to. And he and Mum are very settled and happy."

"As I said, there's hope for us all."

"Not if we don't get back there isn't. I have the excitement of a whole afternoon with Accounts. Don't you just envy my exciting life? Where is it by the way?"

"In the Boardroom. Those sort of meetings are usually held there. By the way, they know you are an accountant by training, they are a bit nervous."

GaryAPB
GaryAPB
861 Followers