Back to Bristol Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
GaryAPB
GaryAPB
860 Followers

I put down my knife and fork and just stared at him. He knew exactly what he'd said in a moments thoughtlessness. I left the pause about thirty seconds too long, whilst he looked embarrassed and shame faced.

Eventually, I let him off the hook and changed the subject, "What's the history of the Abbey?"

"There's nothing particularly important about the house. Originally it was obviously part of the Church. After the Reformation, it was a family home up to the Government requisitioning it in the war. When the Government were ready to return it, the family didn't want it anymore, so it was sold. Walter Roach Franks himself bought it, I believe with the idea of making it his home, but his wife had other ideas. So eventually it was turned into the offices and laboratories. Of course the offices moved to the factory in Bristol when they took new premises there."

"And how old is it?"

"The earliest is one cellar that the experts think is about 1430's. But the main house is very early sixteenth century, I seem to remember that 1518 is an important date. But there's nothing special architecturally."

"And how many acres?"

"One hundred and sixty one in total. But the Abbey stands in immediate grounds of twenty eight acres. The rest is just leased to local farmers. The grounds are meant to be private, but we turn a blind eye to dog walkers and the early morning joggers."

"I envy you. Maybe I should move the offices back."

"Well it has its problems. Do you know those sixteenth century builders didn't build in one decent bit of trunking for cables. There are no false ceilings or raised floors. Technically you couldn't have a worse building for scientific laboratories."

I smiled. And suggested we headed back. I added "I'd like a bit of a tour, just to visit a couple of projects. And then, do you have a room big enough for all staff to assemble?"

"Sure, the Refectory."

"Well, perhaps at about four o'clock say, I could talk to all staff. Nothing controversial, just the standard ITI PR talk."

I enjoyed the short tour. The staff were really very welcoming and friendly, and delighted that someone was showing interest in their work. After some time, we retired back to Piers' office for a cup of tea.

At five past four I came into a crowded Refectory. The whole staff were seated in a theatre style layout, with a table and a couple of chairs at the top. I soon spotted Peter Fucking Davies, he was sitting towards the back, at the end of a row, trying to make himself inconspicuous, and ready for a quick exit.

Piers McBaine hammered the table with his glass, and brought the group to attentiveness, and then quickly introduced me. I stood, taking off my jacket and hanging it on the back of my chair, and sliding the chair under the table. Now I had a space to walk round, chatting rather than giving a speech, sometimes gesticulating with my hands, sometimes with my hands in my pockets. A couple of times I stepped backwards, behind Piers' sightline. And I checked, he remained facing forward, not watching me.

Having given them the usual corporate spiel, and told them how welcoming and professional they all were, and all the usual stuff, I paused. Then I looked up "Change is not mandatory, but then again, survival is not mandatory." I told them that change would happen, that was inevitable. There would be new projects, and some of the current projects would be backed with more funds, greater support. Research was the future for a scientific company like ours.

Then I invited questions. Someone near the front was bright enough to recognise that I had begged a question. "If you are going to expand some projects, does that mean that you might close down some?"

I put my hands in my pockets, I bowed my head in thought, and I took a step backwards to be out of Piers' sightline, "Of course it is possible we will feel that some projects are not sustainable for any of a hundred reasons. I don't foresee it..." I scanned over the audience, but my eyes then fell on Davies, and for a moment too long, I stared at him as I said, "...but I suppose it may be possible that a particular project might have to be closed." I smiled, "The future is always full of surprises."

There were a few more questions, which I answered far more positively, then they gave me a round of applause, and myself and Piers went back to his office.

He looked at me, "I think that went well."

"Thank you, I really meant it when I said that research and new products are our future. I will be looking to increase funding. But I also meant it, there may well be changes."

"Changes I can cope with, especially if they come with increased funding. I owe you thanks as well, for the other thing..."

I waited.

"I was a bit scared that you might try showing up Peter or something. I'm glad you didn't."

I smiled, "I'm glad you thought I was OK."

That evening I met Keith and Anne for a farewell dinner. I chose the best restaurant I could fine listed in the guides, and I have to say the food was exquisite. Anne wanted to go over much of the same territory as Keith had at the Golf Club. I didn't learn anything new, except that Anne put greater emphasis on how 'dull' Molly had seemed. When she reiterated it, she said "It was as if she was just full of regrets about the past rather than excitement about the future."

I again offered up some of the myriad of reasons as to why that may have been her mood on that day. "For Goodness sake, Anne. I'm not sure what you're trying to imply, but they've lasted four years together, I don't think she was regretting losing me that much. She may just have been having a bad day. I on the other hand have just had a very good day, and I am excited about the future."

GaryAPB
GaryAPB
860 Followers