Back to Life Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
DawnJ
DawnJ
326 Followers

"Oh good, you're up! Let's eat!"

She put the eggs and bacon on the counter where sliced bread, marmalade and butter already sat, and two glasses of apple juice. They helped themselves to the feast, and listened idly to the sounds of morning.

"So, what are you going to be doing all day till party time?" Karen wanted to know.

"Nothing much. I had the flat cleaned yesterday, and my friend the caterer will be bringing the food and such to set up around six. We have all day to loll about and be lazy!" She grinned. "But I do have an idea of how we can spend at least a couple of hours, if you're interested!"

Karen cocked her head and asked, "Interested in...?
 "A mani-pedi! I didn't have time to get it done at the salon, and I absolutely cannot be seen tonight with these!"

She stretched her hands out dramatically and showed Karen what looked like perfectly polished nails.

"I don't see a problem," she said honestly.

"There's a real problem," Toni insisted. "It won't match the outfit I'm wearing!" She laughed merrily as Karen rolled her eyes at her. "So, wanna share the mani-pedi with me? We can do each other's nails, just like old times!"

"Sounds fine to me," Karen said. "But right now I feel like another nap. Which means I need to take myself off for a walk to wake up!"

By the time the caterers arrived, Karen had done more than do her nails and take a walk, and was dozing on the couch. The doorbell woke her, and she went to get it, yawning hugely. The man at the door identified himself and was let in with his crew and their burden of food. Karen disappeared, only reappearing with minutes to spare before the first guests began to arrive. She had opted for a silk dress, knee length and clinging to her every curve. Her sandals were white and strappy, her jewelry understated, her makeup barely there. Toni had whistled at her as she walked into the living room, making Karen chuckle in amusement.

When the doorbell rang, she went to get it, and stopped in her tracks when Niall filled the opening. He looked wonderful in a faun gray suit, with a white silk dress shirt, open at the collar and polished gray loafers.

"Hi! Come in!" she said, relieved to find she could admire him without getting sweaty palms and shortness of breath. She would have been unhappy if her responses to him were like those to Peter, whom she had avoided thinking about all day.

Niall stepped inside, and inhaled her fragrance, watching Karen watch him without any more than a friendly eye. He knew then he had no chance with her, despite his having thought about her a lot since their first meeting. She was as alluring as ever, but elusive, and he felt it in her smile, even as she walked ahead of him into the living room. He assumed this was going to be a small party as the space was intimate, which made him wonder how he was going to handle being with her when she so obviously didn't want anything like what he would have liked with her had she been interested. And then he saw a small, curvy woman in a little black dress walk into the room, and his mind shut down. He knew Karen was speaking to him, but he couldn't focus for a second. It felt as though all the air in the room had been sucked out, and he needed to hold his breath till oxygen was restored.

"Niall?" Karen's concerned voice finally penetrated his haze, and he cleared his throat before answering.

"Sorry," he said, but could find nothing to add to explain his lapse in concentration.

Karen studied him for a second, and the small smile she allowed to purse her lips made him cringe. She knew what had happened, and she knew why, and she was highly entertained by it. But she said nothing, merely introduced her friend.

"Toni, meet Niall McLaren. Niall, my friend Antonia Larson."

Karen watched Toni trip over her feet, and almost laughed aloud. Her friend was never clumsy, and the stilettos she wore everywhere except in bed were second nature to her. Tonight will be very interesting, she thought, watching them try to release each other's hands. She walked away from them, letting them figure out how to deal with what was clearly a serious attraction. She only hoped Toni knew how to handle a man expecting to get her into his bed when she was no longer interested, because Karen could clearly see that Rory Stewart had impossible competition for her attention. She chuckled as she snagged a deviled egg, and poured herself a glass of wine.

Before long, the party was in full swing. Christine, the birthday girl, arrived, no man in tow, and the few other friends Toni had also invited cheered and hugged and kissed her. Rory Stewart was the last to arrive, and one look at his handsome blond self and she could see why Toni had been interested. But where he was golden and beautiful, Niall was dark and dangerous. Where he was average height, Niall was a giant. Where he was slender, Niall was all hard bulk and muscle. Yeah, Rory wouldn't win this match. He'd be better off trying for the birthday girl, who was giving him the eye anyway.

Before she knew it, it was midnight. All the food had been consumed, and all the hard liquor. Only soft drinks remained, and the remnants of the delicious birthday cake. Everyone but Niall, Christine, and Rory was gone, and Christine was about to take her leave. Toni swept into action, knowing who she wanted to stay. Rory never saw it coming.

"Hey, Ror, I'd love it if you would escort Chrissy home for me. It's kinda late, and I'd be worried about her going by herself in a cab."

Karen watched the two friends exchange knowing glances, which Rory missed completely, but Niall caught. She bit her lip to keep from grinning.

"Sure thing, if it's okay with you," Rory replied congenially. Karen couldn't read him. He hadn't made any move toward Toni all night, and had been circumspect in his behavior to all the women, attached and unattached. So she didn't know if he was angry or happy that he was leaving with the rail-thin brunette, who looked like a pixie with her short, spiky hair and huge eyes. She barely reached his shoulder, but she smiled at him sweetly and hugged Toni.

"It was nice to meet you," she said shaking hands with Karen and Niall. "Thanks for making my birthday memorable."

Niall smiled at her, and said, "I think we will all have some happy memories from tonight!" Toni let them out, while Karen made herself scarce in the bathroom. She wanted to give them time to sort themselves out and make plans without her being there to cramp their style. She had watched the way they seemed to flow together all evening, like two tributaries heading to the same river. It was obvious to her, if to no one else, that there was something happening between them, and even though she felt a twinge of envy that her friend had hopefully finally found the right man, she was happy for her. Toni's life had been difficult from the beginning, and she deserved a break. And from the very little Karen knew about Niall, Toni would be in good hands.

Walking back into the living room, trying to be as loud as possible so they would hear her, she nevertheless managed to interrupt a tender moment at the door, where Niall had just bent his head to kiss Toni's cheek. It was a lingering kiss, and he raised his head and said something that made Toni smile and blush. She cleared her throat and walked fully into the room. Neither moved, nor seemed to care about what she might have seen, so she ignored the awkward moment and said,

"I know this isn't my place, Toni, but I'm ready for some zzz's" She chuckled as she said it, knowing Toni would understand.

Her friend laughed. "You'd better go, Niall. This is Karen's bedroom!"

Niall turned to look at Karen, his black eyes twinkling. "It was good to see you again," he said, walking back to grip her hand in both of his. "And I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot more of each other from now on." His smile was knowing, and oddly grateful, and she smiled back, watching him leave.

When the door closed behind him, the first words from Toni's mouth made her collapse into a heap on the couch, laughing merrily.

"Whew! I'm still shaking, and all he did was kiss my cheek!"

"So, I was right, eh? He's a chick magnet! And he seems to have caught a chick!"

Toni blushed, surprising Karen. "I've never had that kind of reaction to any man, Karen. Never!" She came to sit beside her friend, hugging herself, and then turned to ask, "You don't mind, do you? I mean, you met him first, and it's obvious he likes you."

Karen reached over to hug her friend. "No, I don't mind. Honestly. I'm just envious, but I'll get over it!" She smiled and then added, "But I'm really serious about needing to sleep. You guys party hearty!"

"Okay, I'm going to take another long bath and daydream!"

Once Toni was gone, Karen opened the couch bed and sat with her laptop on it, suddenly eager to see what Peter had sent her. She had deliberately not thought about him all day, and had forced herself to stay away from the laptop till now. But the need to "see" him was more than she could bear any longer. When she opened her mailbox, there were two messages from him, sent hours ago, while the party was in full swing. The first one was more notes for her, and the second was a response to her last note.

"Dear K (it read, and she was inordinately pleased at his use of the initial),

I hope you won't be offended when I tell you that the reason I began to write to you was partly to get myself out of the rut I've been in for too many years. Having to say how I felt about someone to whom I find myself very attracted is a kind of catharsis for me. And it was my hope, even from the first note, that I could share them with you in the hopes of sparking a like interest in me. I'm happy that at least you are not appalled at my temerity.

As to the question of stimulation, you would be surprised at just how much you stimulate me. (He inserted a smile icon here.) At any rate, thanks for the permission. I'll make sure to daydream well from now on!

Have a lovely weekend, my new friend, P"

Karen could picture his face smiling at her as he talked of stimulation, his blue eyes piercing into her brown ones. She fired off a flirty response, knowing he was probably asleep and would not get it till the morning.

"Hi P,

As a writer, it's my business to stimulate my audience, and I daresay I've become something of an expert in many forms. Of course, in your case, I'm happy to provide specialist service, if that is your wish. (She inserted a wink, and then changed it to a smile)

I've been celebrating at a birthday party, which is why I haven't answered before now. But I shall send suitably serious replies to the notes tomorrow. Until then, sleep well.

K"

She hit the "Send" button, closed the laptop, and went to take a quick shower before falling into bed.

DawnJ
DawnJ
326 Followers