Balance

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
oshaw
oshaw
3,220 Followers

When she finished she said, "Oh Linda, if I had known you were this good a cook, I would have made you cook years ago!"

Linda fidgeted from the complement that her mother had given her. She was ready to say something as Barbara continued. "Linda, where is your daddy? I need to speak to him." Linda angrily said, "I don't know where he is and I don't care! After what he has done to us, he can go fuck himself!"

Barbara was stunned by the hostility and profanity from her daughter. She had never heard her daughter cuss before and she was flabbergasted. "Linda, don't use that kind of language! And remember, that he is your father and he loves you!"

"Momma, if he loved us, then he wouldn't have done everything he did!"

"Baby, when people break up they don't always act the way they should, but, your daddy did come to his senses and corrected all the wrong things he did." Barbara didn't know if she was trying to convince herself or convince Linda.

"The hel-. the heck he did, momma! Just today, I got word that he canceled paying on my class trip to New York. Yeah, he REALLY loves me!" Linda exclaimed sarcastically. "Too bad for him, I'm going to get to go anyway!"

Now Barbara was really confused, she could almost understand Richard's animosity to her, but, why would he do something like that to their daughter? It made no sense, especially, in light of the fact, he had at least turned the power back on.

"Honey, I don't know why he did that, but, give him a day or two and he will reconsider your trip. Look, he did the same thing about the electricity."

"He didn't have a damn thing to do about having the electricity turned back on, or, having the gas turned back on, or, having the water turned back on! He didn't have our phone service restored! He didn't buy us food! He didn't cook for us! And he didn't take care of me or you the last couple of days! If it had been left to him, we would be starving, without power or water!"

"Then Linda, tell me who has been taking care of us? Who has restored all the utilities? Who is paying for our phones?" Barbara sputtered.

"Our neighbor, John Dupree."

Of all the possible answers, that would have been Barbara's last guess. John Dupree, has been their next door neighbor since Barbara, Richard, and Linda had moved back into her mother's house five years ago. It had been a sad time for Barbara, losing her mother and inheriting the large Victorian mansion which had been in her family for six generations.

She had met John Dupree at her mother's funeral and he offered his condolences. Barbara recalled how upset he appeared to be at his mother passing away. Two months later, when they began to move their belongings into the house, John Dupree had came over and offered to help. Richard had taken an instant disliking to John Dupree for some reason and told him they didn't need his help. John Dupree didn't seem offended by Richard's manners and limped back to his house. After that, the only interactions she ever had with him was whenever she saw him in his yard or on his front porch. They would make neighborly waves to each other, but, that was the extent of their contact.

That was due to Richard embarrassing Barbara after they had settled into the neighborhood. They found out John Dupree was in the habit of spending most of the evenings out on his spacious front porch playing his acoustic guitar. Most of the neighbors would sit out on their porches enjoying his skillful playing.

Richard on the other hand, yelled over to him to quit the damn racket. John Dupree disappeared in his house and came back out with a guitar case and a small piggyback amp. He opened up the case and took out an electric guitar and plugged it into his amp. The jarring sound of the electrical guitar varied from the gentle tones of the acoustic guitar, even though it still sounded good, and the volume was the same.

Richard called the police and complained about the noise. When the police arrived, they held up a small instrument while John Dupree continued playing. Then they walked up to Richard and told him, that the acoustics were well below that required for a noise abatement charge until 10 pm. As the officers walked away from a frustrated Richard, John Dupree began playing the theme from "Dragnet." The officers laughed and drove off. Richard told Barbara and Linda that they were all going inside.

As soon as they got inside, they heard the soft sounds of the acoustic guitar starting to play again. Richard ordered them not to go on the front porch when John Dupree was playing. Linda argued with her father saying she wanted to take guitar lessons from their neighbor. To keep peace in the family, Barbara complied. But occasionally at night, she would open up a window and let the soothing music drift in.

"Linda, how did Mr. Dupree find out about us?" Barbara inquired.

"Momma, don't you remember anything? Mr. Dupree is the one who rescued you the other night. He brought you home and carried you to your bedroom. When he asked why the power was off, I told him everything was off, including our telephones. When he asked me what happened, I told him about Daddy leaving us."

Linda continued, "The next thing I know, he is on the phone calling everyone. Then the lights, gas and water were turned back on. Then he got the phone service back. While we were waiting for the hot water heater to heat up the water for your bath, he asked how we were set financially. I told him I didn't know. He left and came back an hour later.

He said, he suspected Daddy had cleaned out all the bank accounts. He had gone to his bank and set up a joint account that we could use. He had a debit card with your name on it and he gave me a debit card as well. He told me there would always be enough in the account to take care of everything we needed.

Then he picked you up and got you in the tub. He told me to go ahead and cut off your clothes after he put you in the tub. After he left the bathroom, I went ahead and did as he said. Momma, you were hurt so bad!" Linda began crying from the memory.

Still she continued, "The hot water heater was making that horrible racket it always make as the tub was filling. Mr. Dupree asked me if we had any food so he could make us a meal. I told him you had gone to the store, but, hadn't come back with any groceries.

He said, he would go home and make us a meal after we got you taken care of. After I bathed you, the water was muddy and bloody. I pulled the plug and told him. He said to go ahead and rinse you off using the shower. I told him the shower in your bath didn't work. He told me to refill your bath and wash you again.

He told me he was going to leave, but, he would be back as soon as he could. He was gone the longest time and I was afraid of trying to move you by myself. So, I went ahead and gave you another bath. Then he came back and asked me if you were ready to get put in bed. I told him you were.

He told me to dry you off as best I could and to drape you with as many towels as I could. Then he came in and picked you up and put you to bed. He asked me where all your injuries were and then he put antiseptic on all of them and bandaged them all up. He told me that you wouldn't be walking for about a week, so you'll either have to use the bedpan he bought, or, call him to carry you to the bathroom.

Then he opened the box of the flat screen TV he bought you and got it mounted to the wall. After he connected the cable and saw we only had basic cable, he called and upgraded to every channel! Finally, he went into your bathroom with a toolbox and came out and said your shower was fixed!"

Barbara was amazed at Linda's story as she continued to catch Barbara up to date. "When we left to go to the kitchen, he had every space in the refrigerator and all our cupboard stocked with groceries. He showed me how to make chicken noodle soup and while I got that to you, he was fixing that crummy water heater to working again!"

The one mortifying question that Barbara had to ask her daughter came out with difficulty. "Linda, when you and Mr. Dupree were washing me and taking care of my wounds, did he..."

Linda had anticipated the question, "Momma, he didn't see anything or touch anything that he shouldn't have!" At least, Barbara was pleased to hear that. She wasn't so sure what she thought of Mr. Dupree's unwarranted liberties interjecting himself into her personal affairs.

"Linda, you need to tell Mr. Dupree I need to see him."

Don't worry Mom. He said he would be here around noon to fix us lunch and to finish some projects around the house." Linda's reply was exasperating Barbara. While she was grateful for all his help, she would have preferred that he had asked permission before he presumed to work on her house!

In the meantime, she would try to find a way to reimburse John Dupree and not be so indebted to him for everything that he had done. I wonder if I would be a hypocrite if I continued to enjoy the TV, Barbara thought to herself. Adding her unspoken approval, Linda carefully crawled on the bed to snuggle with her mom as they both watched TV.

Once again, Barbara slept late and woke up around 11 am. She could hear clatter coming from the kitchen downstairs and a muffled animated conversation going on which had Linda laughing. The aroma of the food was heavenly and made her instantly hungry. But first, she needed to get to the bathroom.

Her body still racked with pain as she swung upright sitting on the edge of the mattress. She waited for the pain to abate before she stepped on the floor. As soon as she put weight on the floor, it was like a thousand knives drove themselves into the sole of her feet. She screamed and collapsed back onto the mattress.

She heard footsteps running upstairs. "Momma, what's wrong?" Linda yelled, "Did you try to walk? I told you, Mr. Dupree said it would take a week before you could start to walk again!" Speaking of the devil, behind Linda stood John Dupree.

He stepped around Linda and looked down at the prone pajama clad figure on the bed. "What is wrong, Mrs. Lovett?" Barbara, felt ashamed as she admitted that she needed to go to the bathroom. Without another word, John Dupree gathered her into his arms and carried her into the bathroom and careful sat her down on the commode.

He then went outside and shut the door. Linda discovered by carefully rolling her hips, she could shift the pajama bottom off her and attend to her business. She finished and awkwardly washed her hands in the lavatory sink. When she finished, she struggled to get the pajama bottoms back up. Finally, she was ready and called for assistance.

John Dupree, cautiously opened the door and peeked at Barbara. Seeing, she was clothed, he went over and effortlessly picked her up. As Barbara held on to him as he walked her back to the bed, she felt conflicting emotions battling within her.

She was grateful for all the help John Dupree was providing and she was upset that he had made so many decisions without her input. She was embarrassed at being so helpless that she required to be carried to her bathroom, but, she found it strangely titillating to being carried in his strong arms.

As he gently placed her on her bed he spoke to her," Mrs. Lovett, I'm afraid it is time to change your bandages. Miss Linda, would you mind getting all the medical supplies and assist me?" Linda briefly left the room and brought in large plastic bags, full of all kinds of gauzes, swabs, and antiseptics. Barbara studied her neighbor as he and her daughter consulted on her wounds. He was a couple of inches taller than her. His body was lean and wiry, with no hint of a paunch. She estimated that he was about five years older than her. He had light brown hair, with light streaks of blonde hair that was turning to grey at the temples. His lean face was pleasant looking with eyes green, like hers.

As he carefully cut away the blood seeped bandages of her body, he kept a running dialogue with Linda explaining what they were seeing and what to do about each injury. He would ask her questions and compliment her for her correct answers. Barbara never thought Linda would show such an aptitude for medicine, but, she was glad to see John Dupree was encouraging her!

"Now", he said in that enticing Southern drawl that was registering with Barbara, "Now, we are going to go to the worst injuries, Miss Linda. When, I cut off these bandages, it may cause your mother some pain, but, I'll try to proceed slowly and be as gentle as I can. The injuries will not be pretty, so if you feel the need to leave the room I will understand."

Linda looked at him with a focused determined stare, "I can handle this, Mr. Dupree." Barbara, could only watch as they sat at the foot of the bed and handled her poor mangled feet. As he slowly unwrapped the layers of bandages, she would experience an occasional jolt of discomfort, but, no actual pain.

She caught him staring at her when she involuntarily jerked and she knew he was trying to gauge her pain and would continue to try to gently treat her feet. She saw Linda blanch and gasp as the last of the dried blooded bandages came off her feet.

"Now, Miss Linda, I know it looks bad, but, this will be the worst of it. I want you to carefully clean the wounds, like so." Barbara felt a gentle brushing on the soles of her feet. "Be patient, and thorough as you clean the wound. Apply the antiseptics liberally, so we don't miss any area. That means, her soles, the top of her feet, even, between her toes must be clean and sterile before we rewrap her bandages."

Linda nodded at the instructions as she continued to swab her mother's injured feet. While Barbara watched her teenaged daughter minister to her, she saw John Dupree raise up and walk to her.

"Mrs. Lovett, would you like a pain pill?"

The question caused her some concerns. No one in the neighborhood was quite sure what John Dupree's occupation actually was. Since he had moved to Warrenton ten years ago, he had not shown any visible means of support. Yet, he was able to purchase the largest, most expensive home in the most expensive neighborhood without any problem.

When her mother was living, she scoffed at the rumors that John Dupree was a drug dealer or porn director or that he was a Mafia member. After they moved to Warrenton, Richard was always too eager to hear and expound on any derogatory explanation about John Dupree. Richard ridiculed John Dupree every chance he got even to his riding in town in a 1965 Chevy pickup. Richard didn't seem to notice how pristine the truck looked.

Speculations had been running rampant in Warrenton ever since Barbara and her family moved back. John Dupree didn't seem to notice or mind all the gossip that was created from his residing in Warrenton. Actually, the only thing that ever seemed to cause a reaction with him was his dispute with the Warrenton Historical Society.

The Warrenton Historical Society consisted of the wives of the rich and powerful families of Warrenton. They maintained a deathgrip on the social and cultural scene of Warrenton and had done so for the past 100 years. Anyone foolish enough to resist them was quickly encouraged to leave town as the merchants would refuse to serve them. They had many pet projects and causes; but, none so dear, as the Fourth of July celebration.

At that time, they would decorate the county courthouse with patriotic bunting and take over decorating all the old large mansions surrounding the courthouse. All the homeowners were expected to comply with the wishes of the Society during the festivities which centered around the large expanse of the courthouse square.

At the festival, you were expected to purchase coupons to redeem for food, drinks, rides, activities, or purchases from the various artists' booths. Yet, you were not allowed to sell back any coupons you didn't use. Furthermore, all concessions, activities, and artists were required to purchase a license to be allow to set up on the courthouse. All this money found its way into the coffers of the Society.

Even more egregious, the homeowners around the square were expected to allow the members of the Society free access to their homes as they decorated the entire square in patriotic colors. Free access also meant that on the Fourth, while the festivities were ongoing, the Society members and their families would set up on the lawns and porches of the homes and walk freely in and out to use the facilities, or otherwise make themselves at home.

Yet, they would ban the homeowners from inviting friends or family to their residences because that would interfere in the Society's enjoyment of the holiday. When Barbara was a small child she would remember being shooed away once from her own porch as she tried to watch the evening firework display.

Her father, who served as the Circuit Clerk of Warrenton County would explain to Barbara every year why it was necessary for him to keep the goodwill of the Society as he ran for re-election. While Barbara understood it, that didn't mean she had to like it. She vowed once she owned the house, that she would stop that practice.

After Barbara moved off to attend college, her father died and her mother was appointed to serve out his term. Once Barbara's mother got settled into the office, her mother found out that she liked the job, so she ran for election. She continued to be elected into office until she too passed away. But the upshot was Barbara's mother felt trapped to continue to allow the Society to run roughshod over her.

In the meantime, while Barbara and Richard lived away from Warrenton, John Dupree moved next door to her mother. When July the first rolled around, the Society member knocked on his door to announce, the Society was there to decorate his house. He asked them what they were talking about. They explained to John Dupree about the Fourth of July tradition. He looked at them and quietly informed them that he didn't celebrate the Fourth anymore and shut the door on them.

The members who were assigned to decorate John Dupree's house were shocked. Never had they been refused before. Immediately, calls were made and the entire Society met that evening to discuss the situation. They decided that the entire group would converge on Mr. John Dupree in the morning and make him reconsider. When they arrived and announced their presence, they dictated to him why it was imperative that he comply with their decision. He waited till they were through and then politely told them, that he understood their request, but, in no shape, form, or fashion would they be allowed to decorate his house or have access to his house on the Fourth. Then he closed his door on them.

This set off the biggest firestorm in the Society's history. The police chief called on John Dupree and told him he needed to let them decorate and use his house. He told the police chief to get off of his property and slammed the door on him. The wife of the police chief didn't understand why her husband didn't just arrest the miscreant and throw him in jail. Instead the Mayor had the police chief pick up John Dupree and brought to his office where he explained that it would be in Mr. Dupree's best interest to acquiesce to the Society, or else.

On July the third, the Society went ahead and invaded John Dupree's yard and festooned it with the bunting that he refused to allow. They never saw any sign of John Dupree that day and they left victoriously with the house colorfully decorated.

When the Fourth of July finally arrived, the Society eagerly went to the Dupree house to start setting up the chairs, umbrellas, and other accouterments to enjoy the day, they found the house stripped of every sign of bunting and decorations. At the wrought iron gate, heavy chains secured by padlocks barred entry. If that wasn't enough, the gate had been welded shut to prevent access.

oshaw
oshaw
3,220 Followers