Basic Strategy

Story Info
Essay on Fighting
767 words
3.77
20k
3
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Joseki Ko
Joseki Ko
178 Followers

Recently I have been thinking about basic strategy, and decided to put these thoughts into writing.

When I first began fighting several years ago, I took a lot of copious notes. Learning what people did and what worked and did not. I began to see that none of the top fighters of the time had moves that were any different from what I was doing. What set them apart from the likes of me is that they were able to move continually through their repertoire, from attack to parry-riposte, to counter attack, and so on. I tried to incorporate this fluidity into my own fighting and found immediate improvement.

I also began to notice tendencies. Or to put it plainly, everyone I watched had favorite moves that they tend to repeat. Hence my first scouting reports. Let's concentrate on Frank (my fictitious fencing partner) He likes to use his favorite move in the beginning, middle, and end of a match. He will wait for you to come in and parry you, then riposting to your right shoulder. Eventually Franks opponents will find him out and his favorite move becomes ineffective. For every move there is a counter.

What Frank should do is begin with his strength and build upon it. At the beginning of the round Frank's job is to show his opponent his favorite move. Preferably scoring a touch. Once Frank has his opponent looking for that parry shoulder move. He should now parry and strike for the left shoulder. Now Franks opponent becomes frustrated with the failure of his simple attacks and becomes obsessed with Franks excellent and varied defense. He will try to do more complex actions and it is time for Frank to counter attack. If this is successful the opponent will go back to the straight attack and Frank can go back to his favorite parry and shoulder strike. Also as the opponent gets more frustrated he will shorten the distance and make it easier for Frank to score on an attack.

Of course a game can be built around other moves. For example, many fighters have become good at moving forward and withdrawing the blade when the opponent tries to hit it, and then finding a hole to score a touch. Those fighters are easily hit with a counter attack. However if a basic move is alternated with a straight attack the defender stays off balance. Add in a third complementary feint or fake action which draws your opponent out, and you may quickly follow with a touch.

When a fighter is good at mixing up his game, some interesting results may occur. The fighter with strong parries will often get more touches counter attacking since the opponent will attempt more and more complex actions to beat the parry. Often this move will go unnoticed by the opponent who believes they were beaten by the parry-riposte.

On the flip side of the coin Frank should also be aware of what touches are scored against him. If for example his right shoulder is constantly being hit then he is leaving an opening there. Either through bad defense, or when using his preferred offense.

To build a strategy each fencer must examine his or her own game and to identify the best actions. (or the ones you enjoy the most) These moves should be the theme you establish at the beginning of the bout, and then subtly add the changes.

One of the more interesting things about fighting in our game is that not everyone notices what you are doing. So it is quite possible that you could continue your favorite move for quite some time. Also you may want to examine variations on your favorite attack. Instead of circling clockwise with a strike circle counterclockwise. Even little differences can through an opponent off.

Also worth mentioning are dirty tricks. Dirty tricks come in a wide variety. From having your blade swept aside with an offhand to being told that your shoe is untied. Sound feints also fall into this category. Yelling, talking reciting poetry, or just stamping your foot. Some even wear bells and when you know that the bell signals a movement they will shift their heel ringing the bell. There are a lot of dirty tricks and it is worth paying attention to the ones that beat you. For once they've been employed against you don't let them score a second time.

All in all there is really only one way to become better. Put in the blade work. Remember practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.

Joseki Ko
Joseki Ko
178 Followers