Battle-Hardened, War Weary Ch. 08B

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
MimiRose
MimiRose
451 Followers

Davis gasped in mocked annoyance. "I received a lowly 'you're handsome' while this old goat over there receives a 'very handsome'!"

Kali glanced at Davis and laughed. He continued on with his charade. He sucked his teeth and then he strolled over to the glass doors. Kali stared at him for a few seconds before she turned her attention over to Jack.

"Mama and I had made up," she notified him.

Jack smiled and then he grabbed a hold of her left hand. His larger hand gave her appendage a gentle squeeze. "That's good to hear, Sweetheart. Your grandma was worried about you being angry," stated Jack.

"I was a bit upset but I knew that I wasn't angry at Mama. I..." She sighed. "...I was upset because she had moved back to New York and she didn't even tell me about it."

"On my behalf, I'm sorry, honey" stated Jack as he stared down at his girlfriend's granddaughter. "Technically, we were still doing 'the long distance thing' when you found out. She was in the process of returning, when we were..." Jack's face grimaced. "...caught. I'm sorry that you had to find out that way. We were planning on telling you a few days later, after she had moved into my apartment. We weren't expecting to bump into you and Ryan at that street festival."

"I accept your apology, Uncle Jack. I need to apologize to you—

"No, you don't have to, sweetheart."

"No, I have to apologize. Just like I did to my grandmother, I disrespected you as well. I should've acted like the adult that I claim to be instead of like a kid who was having a temper tantrum. I'm sorry, Jack. I shouldn't have said those things about you. I know that my grandfather wouldn't have approved of my behavior. I don't think that you were plotting and waiting for my..." Kali sighed. "I'm sorry, Jack."

Jack Logan gave her a smile. "Your apology is accepted, Sweetheart."

There was a multi-second span of quietness. Kali stated, "To be quite honest with you, I am thrilled that you and my grandma are together. If I had to pick out a man for my grandmother to date besides my grandfather, I would've chosen a man like you."

"Thank you, Sweetheart."

Kali did a little smirk. "I will admit to you: I am a little freaked out when it comes to seeing my grandmother behave just like any other woman..." She saw the facial expression change on Jack's face. He appeared to be amused but confused by her statement. She had gone on to explain. "I always have seen her as 'Mama', the asexual being that loved to cook everything 'from scratch', who sewn clothes, created baby blankets, had gone to church twelve days a week, wore jeans and loved to garden. Now she's 'Mare', your girlfriend, who just happens to be a mother, a grandmother and a soon-to-be great-grandma. Then, there's the fact that my grandmother is most likely having sex with you..."

Kali watched a devious-looking smile grace his full, pink lips while there was devilish chuckle.

Her face formed a grimace. "Eeeeeewwwww," she groaned while she felt a sense of disgust. "I really did not—

"We might be older, Mare and I, but we're not dead! We still have our biological urges and needs that need to be fulfilled—

"Eeeeeeewwwww," she groaned loudly. "I don't want to hear it!" She had taken each of her index finger and planted them inside of each of her ear canals. "LA, LA, LA, LA, LA, AL, LA, LA, LA... I DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT! LA, LA, LA, LA, LA, LA..." Kali chanted as she walked away from a laughing Jack. She strolled over to where her Uncle Davis stood. She noticed that Davis was chuckling as he witnessed the exchange between Jack and her. Once she was aware that she was out of Jack's earshot range, she stopped chanting and she removed her fingers from her ears.

"You two are in rare form today," chuckled Davis.

"Yeah, we need to take our show on the road. I swear, we'll make a killing!" she said to her uncle as she smiled. "I would rather feel like this instead of being a nervous wreck," stated Kali.

"Yeah, I hate feeling nervous too," Davis pointed out. "With times like those, if Katrina is around, she'll..." Davis paused, once he realized that he made a mistake. His eyes briefly rose. "Oops, shit," he muttered. He glanced down at his niece/surrogate daughter. Her pretty pair of eyes drifted down to the floor. Then he felt the sadness lift from her body.

Kali could feel her uncle's eyes focus on her. She pretended that she couldn't feel the heat sensation that accompanied his unwavering stare. She lifted her eyes' vision from off of the floor and focused on the sliding glass doors. She stared out of the doors and into the patio. She tried not to focus on the sadness that she felt, an after-effect of knowing that her best friend was not going to attend her wedding ceremony. She was so focused on the patio's floor tiles that she almost didn't hear Davis' inquiry.

"Have you spoken to my hard-headed, big headed daughter as of lately?"

Kali's eyes drifted off of the patio and she stared at her Uncle Davis. "Um..." Her right fingers lightly scratched at her throat, trying to get rid of the bulge that was stuck inside of her throat. "No, I haven't. The last time we've spoke, it was more like she was shouting at me. It was when she... You know."

Davis sighed while he gently shook his head as a sign of pity. "I've tried to get her to come to the wedding, but she refused. Her mom tried to persuade her to come as well, even Tristan tried to get her to come. She refused still. I know that her brothers, Tea Cake and Arian are going to try to convince her to come today. They promised me that they were going to drop by the house before they come here. She has allowed Tristan to come. She even had taken the boy out to the Avenue so he could buy a suit. I don't understand that child sometimes—

"I understand her reasoning, Uncle Davis" Kali informed him. She nodded. "I know that she doesn't like Ryan and she hates that we're together now. I know it and I understand it. I also have to accept that Katrina is not going to be here and more than likely, she doesn't want to be my friend anymore—

"That's nonsense, child!" Davis declared. "Right now, she is just upset and she is acting like her usual self when she is angry, but I doubt that she wants to stop being your friend."

Kali sighed as two tears dripped down her face. She wiped the tears with a trembling right hand. She shrugged her shoulders. "I think that Tea Cake and Arian are going to show up today empty-handed. But I do appreciate their efforts though."

The sound of feminine giggling interrupted their moment of reflection. It came from behind them. The two people had turned around and stared at the spectacle that was before them. Jack and Mare stood in the threshold of the doorway that led to the corridor. They held stances that lovers performed: there was a small bit of space between them, their arms were entwined in an embrace and their faces were nuzzling against one another. Mare's face displayed happiness, which matched Jack's face. Kali saw Jack whispered something in her grandmother's ear, which caused the woman to laugh, a few seconds later.

"It is going to take me some more time in order to see those two as a couple," Kali pointed out.

"Me too," Davis added. Kali glanced up at his face and saw the grimace on his face. She laughed.

The laughter ended as soon as she saw Melanie enter the room. Kali noticed that Ryan's older sister was in her 'professional, wedding planner' mode now. She held onto her clipboard and she still had her earpiece nestled in her ear. She strolled up to Kali and Davis.

"Okay, Miss Richardson, it is time," she announced.

A sense of excitement ran through Kali, once she heard those words. She smiled and felt her skin tingle. She viewed the wedding planner perform her task of arranging the placement between Mare and Davis. Melanie ended up placing Davis on her right side and her grandmother on her left side.

"Okay Kali, once you approach the beginning of the aisle, you will meet up with my assistant Pam," explained Melanie. "Pam has your bouquet. She will give you your flowers and from then on, you will have to wait until the string quartet starts to play the wedding march. Do anybody have any questions?"

Kali shook her head. "No, I don't have any questions." She looked at her grandmother. "Mama, do you have any...?"

Mare shook her head. "No, I don't have any questions to ask." The two women stared at Davis.

Davis, in his best English accent, said "I have no inquiries that can quench your mental palate, dear madam!"

Jack, Melanie and Mare stared at Davis with a facial expression that best be described as 'What-the-fuck is wrong with you?' Kali, however, just giggled.

After a brief moment of stunned silence, Melanie blinked her eyes a few times. "All...right, Kali are you ready?"

"Yes, ma'am," she said as she nodded her head. "I am ready."

Melanie smiled at her and Kali understood the meaning behind that smile. She knew that Ryan's sister was happy that her brother had found someone to love. Kali had a hunch that Melanie knew about Ryan's upbringing. Then she briefly wondered if Melanie was abused by Ryan's grandfather too. The two women shared a silent exchange for a few seconds. Then the wedding planner glanced at both Mare and Davis.

"On the second count of the wedding march, you will begin to walk down the aisle, okay?"

Melanie proceeded to give the trio a few more directions. Once she was done, she led the three adults out of the patio and out of the large house. Before Kali could complete her first step on the ground, she was affected by the day's climate. Earlier in the day, she received word that the temperature was going to be ninety-three degrees, but with the rabid humidity, it was going to feel like it was one-hundred and eight degrees. At that moment, she thought that she could handle being outside, under that humid and hot weather. Now, as she stood on the patio, she wasn't so sure.

As the four adults stood on the patio, Kali savored the moment. She stood still and observed everything. She tried to enjoy the feeling of the thick, hot and humid air that clung to her skin. The music that played before she made her stroll down the aisle. She gazed at both Mare and Davis as they stood by her sides. She wanted to remember their appearances. She wanted to remember how they behaved and their demeanors on this day. She wanted to always remember the moment when her grandmother realized that she was no longer going to bear the family name. She wanted to remember all of Davis' jokes and funny antics. She wanted to remember how she felt and how she behaved during this day. She wanted to remember how excited she felt. The way that her heart raced with adrenaline. The way there was heavy pressure nestled in the pit of her stomach. She wanted to remember all of it.

"Are you ready, honey?" Mare asked her.

Kali's process of reflecting was interrupted. She glanced at her grandmother. She took note of the happy expression that graced Mama's face. Her head nodded a few times. Then she glanced at her Uncle Davis. He gave her a soft stare before he gave her left bicep a gentle squeeze with his hand.

"Well, what are we waiting for? Let's take this show on the road," announced Davis.

The four adults climbed down the red brick staircase and they landed on a brick walkway that led to the courtyard. Kali noticed that the music became louder as she walked closer to the area. She listened to the music that the string quartet was playing. She recognized the song. She begun to sing the lyrics to The Pogues "I Love You Till the End". Before she could sing the second chorus, the string quartet effortlessly transitioned into their version of Otis Redding's "These Arms of Mine".

The grandmother, the granddaughter and the uncle made it to the threshold that led to the courtyard. They were greeted by a woman, who was Melanie's assistant, Pam. She held onto Kali's bouquet which consisted of gardenias, white calla lilies and white roses. She handed the bride the lavished floral arrangement. Then the lanky woman observed the bride to make sure that she didn't have anything out of place. Kali observed the courtyard's appearance as the assistant checked her out.

'Everything is gorgeous,' her brain enthusiastically squealed.

Once Pam realized that everything was okay, she led the three adults a few feet away from the entryway to where the aisle began. Kali surveyed the venue with the same vigor that an interested child would stare at an amazing toy. She heard the quartet begun to play Richard Wagner's "Bridal Chorus". She watched every member of their audience rise from their chairs. Then she watched every guest collectively turned their heads and stared at the back of the venue. Kali's face felt hot as they stared at her. She felt Mare squeeze her right bicep. The corners of her mouth curved upwards.

Her eyes traveled from the large gathering of guests and over to the structure that was at the end of the aisle. Her eyes gazed at the make-shift altar, which consisted of a wooden platform that was covered in a white tarp and positioned in front of the twelve-foot tall, granite water fountain. In particular, she gazed at the handsome man who stood on that altar.

She believed that he looked absolutely erogenous and dashing. Ryan wore a black suit and a white shirt, a vest with a metallic red, silk necktie. The suit was tailored to his tall and fit body. The suit was made with a European cut. His bright red hair was loosed and styled in layers to frame his face.

'Red waves,' her brain sighed as she focused her attention on his hair. Then, Kali's eyes locked with his vibrant green eyes. She saw the intensity in his orbs as he glared at her. A shiver tickled her spine as a result.

'Oh shit...'

Ryan's mind had gone blank. He became infatuated with the vision that was almost twenty yards away from him. She stood at the beginning of the aisle with Mare.

'Oh shit,' he silently said to himself again.

Ryan continued to ogle his soon-to-be wife. He first stared at her beautiful face. He saw her happiness. The wedding gown that she worn looked beautiful against her brown skin. His eyes drifted down to the swell of her midsection.

Suddenly, his mind started to function properly. His first actual thought was about his unborn daughter. He thought about how he was fully prepared to spoil her with affection and love. Just when he was about to imagine the face of his daughter, he remembered something important.

'No, wait...'

Ryan chuckled as he stared down at his feet for a second. Then, he focused his attention on his soon-to be-wife. His eyes glared at her belly.

'She's having twins,' his brain corrected itself.

Ryan laughed again. Then he recalled the moment that occurred almost forty-five minutes ago. He remembered the moment that Melanie handed him a gift. He was residing in a room that was a part of another wing of Whittler Manor. He was getting dressed, when his older sister entered the bedroom. She gave him the gift and told him that it was from his bride. His cheeks turned a crimson shade and his stomach rumbled while a thrill had coursed through his body. He held the lace covered object in his hands. He quickly unwrapped the gift and stared down at the object. His gift was a fourteen-carat gold, picture frame. There was a note stuck to the window pane of the item. On the note, she instructed Ryan to focus on the picture and pay attention. He removed the note from off of the frame. He gazed down at the picture and saw that it was a sonogram picture.

Ryan scanned the ultrasound photo while he hoped to find the surprise that she wanted him to find. 'Okay baby, what do you want me to find?' he pondered as his eyes viewed everything. He was about to call it quits, when his eyes caught the prize. His eyes stared at the small oval-shaped spheres. There was a typed-up word next to each sphere. For the left sphere, there was the term 'Girl A' and there was the term 'Girl B' for the right sphere.

Once he realized that he was going to be the father of twin girls, his body had gone under a physical reaction. A bright white light flashed in front of his eyes while a strong shudder ran down his back. A strange sense of coldness clung to his body while he experienced a temporary case of light-headedness. All of his reactions happened simultaneously. He was surprised. Once the initial reactions had worn off, he immediately warmed up to the idea of being a daddy to another daughter.

The abrupt sound of the "Bridal Chorus" yanked Ryan from his thoughts. He watched all of their guests, which mostly comprised of Kali's friends and family, stand up. They all turned their attention to the back of the courtyard. They stared at the bride. He re-focused his attention on his soon-to be-wife.

'Got-damn, she is so fucking beautiful,' he thought as he watched Kali march down the cobble-stoned aisle.

She walked down the passageway with her grandmother and with a man that she referred to as "Uncle Davis". Ryan waited for his bride, even though he was naturally impatient. He noticed that Kali ogle him as she walked towards him. He watched her lips moved. She mouthed the words 'I love you'. His heart gave a few strong thumps as a result. The trio of adults came to a stop in front of the altar. Kali's gaze never faltered. She kept her eyes on Ryan. He listened to the string quartet carry out the notes of the song before stopping. The courtyard had gone silent. Ryan watched the guests returned to their seats in his peripheral vision.

Ryan briefly glimpsed at the Judge Honorable Thurston Goode, the person who was going to oversee the ceremony. Ever since Ryan and Kali weren't religious, they wanted someone that was not a priest to help them administer their vows. Plus, they needed someone who was willing to take the time out of their schedule and do it on a short notice. Judge Goode was his father's godfather and was the best friend to his late grandmother, Andromeda. So, Ryan had asked the seventy-eight year old man and he agreed to preside over the recitation of the vows.

The judge gave Ryan a smile before he walked away and off of the altar. He walked up to the bride, her grandmother and her uncle. Ryan heard the judge speak softly to the three of them. He introduced himself to the three of them and asked them about their current status. The three of them answered his inquiry. Then, the judge addressed the audience.

"Who gives this bride away?"

Davis answered, "Her grandmother and I do!"

"Very well," Judge Goode announced with a voice that was a little softer. He stared at Kali. "Kali, can you please follow me?"

She gently nodded her head as she stared at him. She turned her attention to Mare, who gave her a kiss on her left cheek. The older woman said some words to her granddaughter. Ryan then watched his future wife turn her attention to her uncle. They shared a verbal exchange and then Davis gave Kali a kiss on her right cheek. He whispered into her ear. Her beautiful face contorted into a mask of laughter. She said something to him and then gave him kiss on his left cheek. She broke away from her 'parents' and she trekked to the altar.

"Kali, can you please stand in front of Ryan?"

Ryan saw Kali walk up to where he was standing and then she stood in front of him. He automatically reached out for her hand. She placed her left hand into his large right hand. Her fingers closed over his thick fingers and she gave them a squeeze. He glanced down at their hands. The sight caused his body to tremble. He tore his eyes away from their hands and he gazed at Kali's face. There was a huge smile on her face.

"Good evening ladies and gentlemen," Judge Goode addressed the audience. "Today, we are here to witness and to celebrate the union between Ryan Whittler and Kali Richardson, as well as to commemorate the joining of two families!" The judge allowed a few seconds of silence to pass before he spoke again. "A famous philosopher by the name of Lao Tzu had said that 'being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage'..."

MimiRose
MimiRose
451 Followers