Beauty and the Geek Ch. 14

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
frozenhero1
frozenhero1
3,735 Followers

Brian handed over the flash drive which housed the scanned pages of he and Charlie's Captain Darkness comic.

"I can't bring you anywhere." he told Miley. "Are guys always like this when you're around?"

Miley lifted a shoulder. "Sometimes they drool, too."

Brian laughed, shaking his head.

"I wonder where Charlie is." Miley looked at her cell phone to check the time. "He said he'd meet us here after work, and it's almost five thirty."

"Maybe he had to work late." Brian suggested. "I'm sure he'll call if he's running behind."

Miley peered out into the parking lot, looking for Charlie's Taurus. "Stacy didn't want to come?" she asked casually.

"Her and her mom were going shopping for baby stuff." Brian replied, "But she wished us luck."

"Already?" Miley asked. "The baby is seven months away, you guys don't even know if it'll be a boy or a girl."

"I know, right? I guess a lot of stuff can be unisex though."

"Are you nervous yet about being a daddy?" Miley wondered.

"A little." Brian answered. "Why, is it that obvious?"

"You're going to do fine." Miley assured him.

"I hope so. It'll be even better if your dad and his publishing investors like our comic book, it would be nice to have some money rolling in."

"They're going to love it." Miley promised. "Charlie is a great writer, and your artwork is amazing."

"I hope you're right Miley." Brian sounded concerned. "Where the heck is Charlie?"

=====

Charlie had actually left work early, and before Brian and Miley had even arrived at the printer he was knocking on the door of the condominium where Miley's father lived.

"Hey Charlie." Jack Andrews smiled after opening the door. He glanced around, "Just you? I thought Miley and your friend were coming too."

"Yeah." Charlie nodded, "I'm going to call them and have them meet us here, but I wanted to talk to you first. If that's okay?"

"Sure Charlie, come on in. Can I get you something to drink?"

"Oh, no thanks sir." Charlie replied. "I'm fine."

"Please Charlie, how many times have I asked you to call me 'Jack'? Have a seat."

As Charlie sat down on a couch he felt underdressed, wearing a pair of khaki cargo pants and a short-sleeved polo; Jack was dressed in a suit. Then again, every time Charlie saw Jack Andrews the man was wearing a suit; Charlie guessed that was a standard uniform for an investment stock broker.

"So what did you want to talk to me about?" Jack asked, sitting in a recliner across from Charlie. A glass coffee table separated them.

"It's about Miley." Charlie said.

"Everything okay between you two?"

"Oh yeah, I mean, yes." Charlie nodded. "Everything's great. As a matter of fact, I asked her to marry me."

One of Jack's brows rose. "Really. What did she say?"

"Oh, um, she said yes." Charlie smiled nervously. "But that's why I came early; she doesn't know I'm here."

Jack chuckled, "Spit it out Charlie."

"I wanted to ask for your permission. I mean, your blessing, I guess."

Jack took in a deep breath, considering Charlie with a neutral expression. Then he stood up. "How old are you Charlie?"

"I'm nineteen sir." Charlie said, "Same age as Miley."

Jack moved to the side of his living room and a small bar. "Nineteen. I know you're going to Brown, very impressive by the way."

"I'll be going to Florida this fall." Charlie corrected. "To be with your daughter."

Jack took out a glass and reached for a bottle of scotch. "Living at home, with your parents?"

"Uh, yes sir. I am." Charlie answered. "I can't really afford a place of my own and pay for college at the same time."

Jack turned back towards Charlie, drink in hand. "Charlie, I like you. And I know my daughter is in love with you, she's crazy about you as a matter of fact. But I can't give you my blessing right now."

Charlie looked crestfallen, "No?"

Jack shook his head, sitting back down in his chair. "I think you have a bright future, Charlie. If not with this comic book thing of yours, then with something else. You're a smart kid and you're good to Miley. But I don't think you're ready to handle the responsibility of marriage yet."

"But I love Miley, sir, very much." Charlie started.

Jack lifted a staying palm. "I know you do Charlie, but marriage is more than just love, it's about building a life together. If you're asking me to turn my daughter over to you, if you want my blessing, then I need to know you're ready to provide for her."

Jack let out an amused sigh, "I can't stop her from marrying you, lord knows Miley is bull-headed enough that she is going to do what she wants; but I think you two should wait. Finish college, get a job. You have your whole lives to get married."

Charlie took a deep breath. "I understand, sir. I think you're wrong though, on one point."

"Oh?" Jack lifted a sip from his scotch.

"Miley would never marry me unless you were there to walk her down the aisle. She adores you."

Jack smiled, "Listen, Charlie. I approve of you, I really do. I think Miley has chosen well in you. But I also think you need to concentrate on some other things before marriage, like school and figuring out your place in this world. Both of you."

Charlie rose. The conversation hadn't gone exactly as he planned, but Charlie heard the sense in Jack's words. "Thank you sir, I'm going to think long and hard about your advice."

=====

Brian placed the printed copies of 'Captain Darkness #1' in his book bag. "Maybe we should go over to the comic shop and see if Charlie's there?"

Miley dug into her purse to fetch her phone, "I'll give him a call, see where he is."

"Wait!" Brian interrupted, pointing through the window. "There he is now."

Miley looked and saw Charlie's car, then trotted out of the store to greet him in the parking lot. Brian followed along.

"Sorry I'm late, guys." Charlie said, climbing out of his car.

"Where have you been?" Miley wondered, approaching and leaning a kiss to Charlie's cheek.

"At your dad's."

"What?" Brian said, "We were supposed to all go together, you didn't even have a copy of the comic to show him."

"We didn't talk about the book." Charlie said.

"What is it baby? You sound a little down." Miley rubbed Charlie's arm.

"I asked him for his blessing to marry you." Charlie replied.

"Dude..." Brian breathed out.

Miley's eyes widened to saucers, "Oh my god, you did? I thought we were going to tell him together. What did he say?"

"He was cool about it." Charlie said, "But he didn't think we were ready for marriage yet. He won't give me his blessing until I can provide for you."

"As soon as we get Captain Darkness published that shouldn't be a problem." Brian said, "So let's go show him?"

Charlie shook his head.

Miley didn't care about the comic book, ignoring Brian. "Baby, I don't care what my father says. I'm going to marry you regardless..."

Charlie issued a quiet laugh. "That's what he said you'd say. But you know what? He's right."

"So am I." Brian pressed, "The book is ready, let's just show it to him and..."

"No." Charlie shook his head, "No, I want to do this on our own. I want to prove to Jack that I'm capable of providing for Miley."

Miley felt a flutter of pride from Charlie's words.

"Well what the hell are we going to do?" Brian said, irritated. "Print it ourselves and sell them on the streets?"

"We'll send it to everyone." Charlie stated. "Every comic publisher we know. Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, even all the small independent ones. I bet one of them will like it."

"Charlie..." Brian was about to complain.

"Charlie's right." Miley suddenly said, reaching to take Charlie's hand in hers.

"I am?" Charlie sounded surprised. He assumed Miley would be upset with him.

But Miley wanted to support her man. "You guys... your comic book is good. It's really good. You don't need my dad or his publishing contacts; they're not even in the comic book business. You two can do this."

Charlie looked to Miley with adoring eyes and squeezed her hand, thankful for her support in this.

Brian let out a heavy sigh. "Shit. Well, we're going to need to have more copies printed if we're going to mail every comic publisher we know."

Charlie smiled, "Good thing we're outside the print shop."

=====

After getting separated from her mother somewhere near the toy aisle, Stacy stood in the mall's department store staring at a baby crib display. Her hand was absently rubbing the flat of her stomach through the tight red hoody she was wearing when a familiar voice came from behind.

"Stacy? Stacy is that you?"

Turning around, Stacy smiled. "Adrian? Oh my god, I haven't seen you since graduation!"

Adrian walked up to Stacy and gave her a friendly hug. "You look great, Stace. Wow, it's nice to see you."

"You too." Stacy admired, noting that Adrian had really filled out since high school. "You look awesome, are you on steroids or something?"

Adrian chuckled, "Nah, but I've been working out a lot. College football program, you know? I was red-shirted and didn't get to play last year, so I had plenty of time for the gym."

"Where are you going to school?" Stacy asked.

"Alabama." Adrian replied. "But I'm home for the summer, working for my dad."

"That's great. Are you staying with your parents?"

"Yep, cheaper that way, you know?" Adrian glanced at the display Stacy had been looking at. "Are you shopping for a crib?"

Stacy blushed, "Yeah, I'm.... I'm pregnant."

"No kidding? Congratulations. Who's the lucky guy?"

"Thanks." Stacy said, pushing a hand through her blonde hair. "Brian's the father."

"Brian?" Adrian could hardly believe it, "From high school?"

"Yeah." Stacy said, her cheeks coloring even more.

"Wow, I don't think I've seen him since... maybe prom?"

Stacy suddenly recalled her high school prom. Adrian had been her date, and she really had liked him. Things went south in the hotel room afterwards however, when complications arose due to the small stature of Adrian's manhood. "God, prom, I haven't thought about that in ages."

"You know, I never apologized to you for that night. I was..."

"Oh, Adrian, it's okay." Stacy smiled disarmingly, "You don't have anything to be sorry for."

"I've grown since then. I mean, down there." Adrian remarked shyly. "I guess I'm a late bloomer."

Stacy giggled, lifting a palm. "Okay, too much information there Adrian, but I'm really happy for you."

Adrian laughed, "Sorry. So, um, you and Brian huh? Are you guys...?"

"Oh, no." Stacy shook her head. "I mean, we're kind of dating, but I'm not sure how serious we are."

"Serious enough to have a baby, evidently." Adrian commented.

"We were really drunk." Stacy admitted with a subdued laugh. "It's strange, how one mistake can change your life forever."

"I don't think it's a mistake. I bet you'll make a great mom. And if your kids look anything like you they're going to be beautiful."

Stacy felt herself blushing again, "Thanks Adrian, that's really sweet."

"So, um, you doing anything on Friday night?" Adrian suddenly asked.

Stacy blinked. Was Adrian Miller about to ask her on a date? Stacy wondered if that would be such a bad thing. "Um, I guess I don't have any plans..."

"You want to grab a movie or something?" Adrian asked. "I'd love to catch up."

"Are you asking me out?" Stacy asked bluntly.

Adrian smiled, "Yeah, I guess I am. As long as that's okay? I don't want to get in the way of anything. It's just that you didn't seem that committed to Brian.

Stacy squinted, considering that. "Wait, you want to go out on a date. With me? Even though I'm pregnant with another guy's baby?"

"I'm sorry." Adrian apologized, "I must have misunderstood your relationship with..."

"No." Stacy interrupted, "No, it's fine. Actually, yeah, I'd love to catch up. You remember where my parent's house is?"

"Sure." Adrian nodded.

"Pick me up at seven?"

=====

Charlie carried a bowl of popcorn the short distance between the kitchen and living room, where the couch sat bathed in light from the television. Charlie's eyes were glued to a Spider-Man movie as he sat down, placing the popcorn bowl on the cushion next to him. Miley had cable at her apartment, along with a full suite of premium channels; something Charlie didn't have at home.

Suddenly, a shriek came from the direction of the bathroom.

"Miley?" Charlie called over the back of the couch, distracted only momentarily from the movie.

"Charlie!!! You forgot to put the seat down again; I nearly fell into the toilet! I swear to God, Charlie..."

Charlie grinned at the mental image, stuffing a handful of popcorn into his mouth.

A flush and the sound of running water preceded Miley as she exited the bathroom and padded her way to the couch in bare feet. "Spider-man again?" she complained, sitting down and curling next to Charlie. "Can't we watch something else? Like paint drying?"

"I don't think they have a channel for that." Charlie muttered casually.

"Well they should." Miley commented.

"I like the part where he's hanging upside down and Mary Jane kisses him." Charlie said, moving the popcorn bowl out of Miley's way then dropping an arm around her shoulders.

"Oh I like that part too, is it coming up?"

"Soon." Charlie promised. "You're in your pajamas already?"

"I've had a long day." Miley said, justifying her decision to change.

"What did you do other than go with me and Brian to the printers?" Charlie wondered. He was often jealous of the fact that Miley came from money. Her dad paid all of the bills, which meant Miley didn't have to work.

"Um..." Miley considered, then straightened a leg and wriggled her toes in display. "I painted my toenails this morning?"

Charlie glanced at Miley's foot. "Uh-huh. Very pretty." came his distracted reply.

"Then I went up to lie on the roof for a couple hours and get some sun. You like my body when it's nice and tan, don't you?"

"I love your tan." Charlie confirmed, engrossed with the movie.

"Charlie...!" Miley poked Charlie in his ribs, "Pay more attention to me. I swear you like Spider-Man more than your own girlfriend."

"That's not true." Charlie said. "You rank ahead of Spider-Man, but just behind The Flash."

"Well, is The Flash in this movie?" Miley asked.

Charlie shook his head, "No. They don't even exist in the same universe."

Miley reached up and cupped Charlie's chin, turning his attention to her. "Charlie, not only are we in the same universe, we're on the same couch."

"Okay?" Charlie offered, confused.

Miley rolled her eyes. Reaching for the remote, she clicked the movie off.

"Hey!" Charlie complained.

Miley took the popcorn bowl and laid back on the couch, lifting her legs to Charlie's lap. "You've seen that movie a hundred times, Charlie. You own it on DVD, for crying out loud. Wouldn't you rather just talk or something?"

Charlie placed a hand at Miley's ankle, rubbing her leg through the cotton pajama bottoms. "Sorry. What do you want to talk about?"

Miley shrugged a shoulder, munching on some popcorn.

"Then why did you turn the movie off?" Charlie tried to fathom his girlfriend, irritated.

"Because I hate that movie. It's so dumb." Then Miley added, "Except for the upside down kissing part."

"What?" Charlie couldn't believe what he was hearing.

Miley stuck her tongue out. "He's creepy, with that weird mask and those icky webs."

"The Spider-Man movie is a whole lot cooler than that dating reality show you're always watching."

"No it isn't." Miley countered, throwing a piece of popcorn at Charlie's chest.

"Yes it is." Charlie argued as he reached for Miley's feet.

"Okay, okay!" Miley lifted a cautionary finger, grinning. "No tickling, that's not fair."

Charlie suggested "The science fiction channel is doing a Robot Wars marathon?"

Miley's expression looked like she just swallowed sour milk.

"What?" Charlie asked.

"Don't we have anything in common?" Miley wondered aloud.

"Of course we do." Charlie answered. "Don't be silly."

"Like what?" Miley pressed. "What interests do we share?"

"Well, we..." Charlie considered. "We're both pretty horny all the time?"

"So our relationship is based entirely on sex." Miley stated matter-of-factly.

"We both like to shop?" Charlie suddenly suggested.

Miley squinted, dubious. "You hate shopping."

"Oh yeah."

"Oh my god, Charlie, is sex the only interest we have in common?" Miley had some worry to her tone. "What are we going to do when we get old and we're not interested in fucking?"

"I dunno." Charlie shrugged. "My grandparents seem to talk about the weather a lot. Other times they just kind of stare off at nothing."

"The weather? The frigging weather?" Miley scowled. "That's it; we're not having any more sex."

"What?!" Charlie sat up straighter.

"We have to find some kind of hobby we both enjoy." Miley explained. "Otherwise our marriage will never last. I'm putting an embargo on all sexual activity until we figure this out."

"You can't do that!" Charlie argued. "Besides, you'd give in a lot sooner than I ever would if we didn't find this theoretical hobby."

"I would not!" Miley took her legs back from Charlie's lap. "I can last a lot longer than you ever could."

"Wanna bet?" Charlie asked with a cocky smile.

"Okay, mister, you got it." Miley agreed. "If I win, and you give in, you have to do whatever I want for a whole day."

"All right." Charlie agreed, "But if you give in then you have to do what I want for a whole day."

"Fine." Miley folded her arms across her chest.

"Fine." Charlie repeated.

"You are going to lose, Charlie White." Miley informed him, getting up. "You'll probably come crawling back to me, looking for sex inside of a day."

"Where are you going?" Charlie asked.

"To bed." Miley answered. "You can either go home or sleep on the couch!"

Charlie startled when Miley's bedroom door slammed shut. "What the heck just happened?" he asked himself.

PART 3 -- Miley to the rescue

=====================

Brian burst into Charlie's bedroom, "Dude, you're never going to believe this."

Charlie sat up from his bed, where he was reading a comic. "Brian? How did you get in here?"

"Your front door was open." Brian said. "But listen to me dude, Stacy has a date tonight!"

Charlie set his comic down and moved to sit on the edge of the bed. "What do you mean?"

"She's going to the movies with Adrian Miller." Brian lamented.

"That sucks, man." Charlie said. "I know how you feel; I've got girl problems too."

"You and Miley didn't break up again, did you?" Brian asked.

"No." Charlie shook his head. "But she put an embargo on our sex life until we come up with some stupid hobby to do together. It's been three days, can you believe it?"

Brian stared at Charlie blankly.

Charlie looked back, "What?"

"I'm really sorry you haven't gotten laid in three whole days, Charlie." Brian sounded irritated. "But I think my problems trump yours! Did you hear what I said? The mother of my child is going to a movie with Adrian frigging Miller. You remember him? Star athlete of our high school? Good looking? Prom king???"

"I'm sorry." Charlie apologized. "You're right; it's just that Miley has put the zap on my head. What are you going to do?"

Brian sat down next to Charlie on the bed, helpless. "What can I do? I had to pry the information out of her after asking if she wanted to hang out tonight. She says they're 'just catching up' but if that's the case why was she so reluctant to tell me?"

"Probably because she knew you'd freak out." Charlie suggested. "I mean, if Stacy and Adrian were going to happen don't you think it would have happened when they went to prom together our senior year?"

"Maybe." Brian conceded. "But how would you feel if Miley told you she was going to a movie with that Brett guy she was dating, so they could 'catch up'."

frozenhero1
frozenhero1
3,735 Followers