Because I Still Love You Ch. 01

Story Info
Is their love strong enough?
13.2k words
4.47
29.8k
20

Part 1 of the 3 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 12/03/2012
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

DISCLAIMER: All the characters in this story are fictitious; any resemblance to any person dead or alive is completely coincidental.

This is a long story which involves all the emotions of love and romance. If you are looking for a quick, raunchy and steamy number, I am sorry to say, this isn't the one.

***

'Is this seat taken?' asked a sweet voice, forcing Ken to look up. A 5'5'' tall, cute girl stood before him, with a dimpled smile.

'N ... No ... You ... can have it,' stammered Ken and tried to concentrate on his notes.

The girl walked past him and sat beside him. Ken breathed in her perfume and wondered why he hadn't seen her in the class, before.

'Hi! I am Lea Taylor,' said the girl, extending her perfectly manicured hand and looked at him inquisitively with sparkling blue eyes.

'Hi! Ken Harper. Are you new to the class?' he asked as he shook her hand.

'Yes, you can say so. I am from Kansas,' said Lea as she withdrew her hand and looked around the class. 'I came down to Texas yesterday. I don't have any friends here,' she said wryly.

'I am from Chicago. If you don't mind, I can introduce you to my gang of friends.'

'That would be wonderful,' squealed Lea and then smiled apologetically. 'I am sorry. It's just that I don't want to be a pain in the ass, Ken. It's alright. I can ...'

'No, it's not alright. I cannot see a girl in distress,' admitted Ken cheekily.

Before Lea could question him further, the class began. Quite contrary to her expectations, Ken's friends were quite friendly and went out of their way to make sure that she was comfortable.

'Guys, I think I should head back to my room. It's late,' said Lea as she gathered her things and stood up.

'Shall I walk you?' asked Ken as he looked at Lea.

'It's alright, Ken. I can manage.'

'Don't worry; Lea. Ken is protective of all the girls in the gang. You can trust him,' said a red-haired brunette, whom Lea remembered being introduced as Rebecca.

'Ok,' said Lea meekly and allowed Ken to escort her out of the university café.

'Do you stay alone?' asked Ken as they stood at the other end of the street, waiting for the lights to change.

'No, I stay with my friend. Brenda works as a stenographer in a law firm. We share an apartment,' said Lea.

The lights changed and Ken caught Lea's hand, making sure that she kept up to his pace. Once they crossed the street, he let go of her hand.

'Do you have any relatives over here?' asked Ken as he rubbed his palms together to ward off the chill.

'No,' said Lea and looked at Ken. 'My parents got divorced when I was 10. And since then I have been alone.'

Ken looked at Lea who seemed to be a little distressed. Her sparkling blue eyes suddenly lost their color and it pained him to see her upset. 'Hey, I am sorry,' whispered Ken and looked at her apologetically, 'I didn't mean to pry.'

'It's alright. It doesn't hurt anymore,' said Lea, with a small smile and pointed to a nearby building. 'That's where I stay.'

'Oh! That's good. Because the third building to the left is where I stay.'

'Hmm... So, Mr. Neighbor, this is it I guess. I hope to see you tomorrow.'

'By the way Lea, here are the notes for the classes that you missed,' said Ken as he handed her the notebooks.

'Thanks a lot, Ken. I mean it,' said Lea as gave him a sweet little smile.

'Lea,' said Ken and caught her hand, 'I think you should have my number. It may be come in handy,' he said and before Lea could protest, Ken scribbled his number on her palm. 'Don't wash your hands before writing down my number.'

'Thanks,' said Lea and gave him a small wave as she walked towards her home.

***

'I hope you are not disappointed after you get to see your grades,' said Lea as they walked towards the café.

'Lea, the past week has been an absolute pleasure only because of you. You are the best partner any student can ever get. And even if the grades are low, which won't happen, thanks to your mesmerizing presentation skills, I will not be disappointed.'

'Thank you, Ken. You have been a wonderful partner. I owe it to you,' said Lea as she looped her hand through Ken's arm.

'Coffee?' asked Ken as they sat on the nearest table.

'Yes, along with lots of cookies. I am damn hungry,' said Lea as she gave Ken a puppy look.

'Sure. I will be right back,' said Ken and walked towards the counter.

Lea looked at Ken as he talked with the guy at the café counter. She wondered what she would have done if she hadn't met Ken. She would have been as happy as she was today? No said her inner voice as Ken smiled at her. Within a few weeks, Ken was her confidant, her closest friend and most importantly, a person whom she could trust. They had started sharing their home work and eventually, they were among the few students who managed to submit their assignments on time. The professors were impressed with the duo and soon, they started topping the examinations.

***

'Why would I want your piece of shit?'

'Because she reminds me of you, bitch.'

'Don't you use that tone with me. She is yours and it was you who wanted a child.'

The voices kept growing louder and louder ... "They don't want you" said her inner voice as she heard the quarrel between her parents. A chill sent into her body and she trembled as the voices kept on increasing. She heard someone sob and then she realized that she was the one sobbing. The door to her room opened and ...

Lea woke up with a start and glanced at the clock on the nightstand. It read 12:25 A. M. She fiercely wiped at the tears that ran over her cheeks. Her entire body was cold and she was sweating like a pig. Was she dreaming? Oh God! Not again, she thought as she remembered the vivid and horrific nightmares. She pulled the covers closer around her body and sank into the pillow. Ken ... Was he asleep wondered Lea looking at the phone nearby. She dialed his number and waited for Ken to pick up.

'Hello,' said a voice groggily.

'Ken?' whispered Lea.

'Lea? Is that you?' asked Ken as he sat up on the bed and flipped on the light.

'I am sorry. I didn't mean to disturb you ... It's just that ...'

'You didn't disturb me. What happened?' asked Ken as he glanced at the bedside clock.

'Can you come over?' asked Lea as she tried to stop the tears that welled up in her eyes.

'Are you alright?' asked Ken as he drew back the covers and climbed out of his bed.

'I ... I am fine.' said Lea and hoped that her voice didn't betray her.

'I will be there in 5 minutes,' said Ken as he tugged on a T-shirt and before Lea could respond, he clicked the phone shut.

She sighed and curled further into the covers. Just then the doorbell rang and she dragged herself out of the bed. She flicked on the light in the living room and walked to the door and opened it.

'Good morning,' said Ken as he stood before her, his hands in the pocket of his jeans.

One look at her grief-stricken face and he knew that things weren't as good as they should be. Lea left the door open and walked into the living room and settled on the couch. Ken walked inside and closed the door, before shrugging out of his jacket. Lea was fidgeting with the hem of her night shirt. Ken sensed that Lea was scared and she looked like she had been crying. God only knows what troubles this sweet little girl has endured though Ken as he settled down beside her.

'Lea, look at me,' Ken said softly and took her hands into his. Her hands were cold and he tried to warm them up. 'Are you cold?'

Lea only shook her head and withdrew her hands from him. 'I am sorry to disturb you ...'

'No, Lea. You didn't disturb me,' said Ken and raised Lea's chin forcing her to look into his eyes, 'What's the matter, cutie pie?'

Lea flinched on hearing the endearment. It was a sharp contrast to her past. Nobody had called her anything other than "Lea". Ken's concerned voice and the protective way in which he treated her, made her realize that Ken was the only person who treated her with utmost case and respect.

'Lea ...,' whispered Ken as he ran a finger across her jaw, 'Are you fine?'

'Sorry, I got carried away. I had a nightmare ... I ...,' her voice faltered and Ken whispered, 'come here.'

Before Lea could process what was happening, Ken sat back on the couch and lifted her into his lap. Her head was tucked under his chin and he asked, 'Do you often have the nightmares?'

Lea only nodded her head and held Ken closer, absorbing his heat. He placed a small kiss on her forehead and said, 'Do you want to tell me about these nightmares?'

Lea twined her fingers into his and took a deep breath. 'My parents got divorced when I was 10.' Ken ran his hands over her arms and waited for Lea to continue.

'You already know this ... They used to fight every night after I went to sleep,' she said and held him closer. Ken grabbed a throw from the back of one of the chairs. He spread the cover over them and propped his legs up on the coffee table and leaned back and stroked her back.

'They never bothered to check on me. They assumed that I was sleeping but I was wide awake. They fought over almost everything and anything. And their favorite topic was me. You must be thinking that they fought about my custody. But no, they fought about why they wouldn't want me. My father used to call my mother a bitch and he never wanted me because I reminded him of her.'

Lea shuddered as she remembered the harsh words and Ken turned her face towards him and kissed her forehead, 'I am sorry for all that you had to go through.'

Lea didn't seem to hear and continued, 'Mom wanted to get rid of me because she never wanted any children. They sent me to a boarding school in Kansas. They paid the fees and sent me some dollars every month. The girls in school never tried to befriend me. They were more interested in knowing my past and making fun of me. I got through school and high school and at the age of 22, I still can't seem to forget the past ...,' trailed off Lea as the tears spilled over her cheeks.

Ken repositioned her so that he could look at her. He gently wiped the tears and kissed her cheek, trying to ease her pain.

'Lea,' said Ken softly and raised her chin so that she could look into his eyes, 'you are the most amazing girl that I know. I know that I can't undo the past. I wish I could have been there when you needed someone the most. But there isn't a single thing that I could about it.'

Lea tried to speak but Ken placed a finger on her lips and silenced her. 'Now that I am here, I promise to you that I will never let you go. Your parents lost a wonderful daughter by letting you go. You deserved better, Lea.'

Lea curled further into him and pressed into his chest. Ken looped his hands around her waist and said, 'I know that it might be painful for you to rehash the past. I promise that from now on you won't have to fight the demons of the past alone. I am here and I will always be there.' He stroked her hair and whispered, 'Thanks for trusting me.'

'I trust you more than I trust myself, Ken. You are my only best friend till date and you always will be,' confessed Lea and laid her head on his shoulder. 'Will you hold me?'

'Yes, if that is what you want ...,' said Ken and held her close.

'I like you, Ken. Like you a lot,' sighed Lea and drifted off to sleep.

'Good night, sweetie,' whispered Ken and brushed his lips on her forehead.

Ken drew back the strands of hair that fell on her face. He thought about everything Lea had told him. The cute girl who sat beside him every day had to go through such a horrid childhood, made his gut clench. He knew that Lea didn't deserve such treatment. It pained him when he imagined her all alone, trying to fight her own battles. But his respect for her also grew tenfold. He held her hand and kissed it, repeating the promise that he wouldn't leave her alone, come what may. The beautiful girl sleeping in his arms was the best thing that had happened to him. And he would never allow anything or any damn person to hurt his Lea.

His Lea... He liked the sound of that - his Lea in his arms, safe and away from all the hurt. I love you whispered Ken. He loved her? The admission was enough to make him shudder. But the past few months had been the best days of his life. The boring lectures were tolerable only because of the sweet girl who sat beside him. The stupid jokes that she used to crack during the lecture; the little notes through which they conversed during the class; the way, in which she looked at him from time-to-time, the cute way in which she scolded him whenever he failed to do his part of the assignment, the way in which she shared everything with him – all these made only a small part of their world. She was everything that he had imagined in his soul mate. Lea was funny, intelligent, sensible, witty and beautiful and they both were really good friends. They both understood each other and he knew that Lea was the one for him. Ken was anxious on making her feelings known to Lea. He also sensed that Lea considered him more than a close friend. Although, he had never asked her, he was sure that Lea wasn't interested in any other guy. Making plans for the week, Ken drifted off into sleep.

***

Lea looked at the sunlight spilling across the room and tried to shift on the bed. But she wasn't on the bed. She was sitting on Ken's lap and he had his arm possessively wrapped around her waist. She tried to get up but she knew that she wouldn't be able to do it without waking him up.

'Ken ...,' whispered Lea and tried to turn around.

'Hmm ... What's the hurry, Lea? Today is Sunday,' he said and readjusted her so that she could see him.

Lea ran her fingers across his jaw, feeling his stubble graze her hand. She felt Ken take a sharp intake of breath. She lowered her hand and tried to stand when Ken helped her and stood beside her, making sure she found her footing.

'I have to complete the assignment, Ken,' said Lea as she walked into a room and shut the door, which Ken assumed was hers.

For the first time since midnight, he looked around and saw Lea's apartment. There wasn't much furniture except for the couch, coffee table and a couple of chairs. But it had a homely look which his flat was missing. He wandered into the kitchen and rummaged through the cabinets. He found the coffee and he was searching for cups, when Lea cleared her throat. Standing in a pair of faded jeans and T-shirt, Lea looked cute and beautiful. It took all of Ken's control not to haul her into his arms. Her hair was damp and she tucked the wet strands behind her ear. How can any girl look so beautiful thought Ken as he looked at his angel standing before him.

'Want some coffee?' she asked as she walked into the kitchen and retrieved the cups. 'Why don't you freshen up? I assume you saw my room. There is an attached bathroom.'

'Thanks,' said Ken as ran his hand through his hair as he walked towards her room.

***

'It's very quiet in the morning. Where's Brenda?' asked Ken as he walked into the kitchen.

'She's out on a vacation for a week. It's difficult to stay alone sometimes,' said Lea as she poured the steaming chocolate into 2 cups. 'Here you go,' said Lea and handed Ken his cup.

'How is your Mom?' asked Lea as she looked at Ken, gauging his reaction.

'Mom is fine, I guess. I called her last week. She seems to be having no trouble in managing Dad's business,' said Ken as he traced the pattern on the coffee cup.

'Do you miss him?' said Lea and squeezed his hand.

'Sometimes, when I need advice, I wish he were ...' said Ken and looked away.

'Why don't you ask your Mom to come down here?'

'She doesn't want to leave home. The house reminds her of Dad and you know how it is ...'

'Yes, I do,' said Lea and looked at Ken earnestly, 'I really want to thank you for yesterday. Thank you, Ken. Thank you for being there when I need you the most.'

'You are welcome, sweetie,' said Ken and enveloped her into a bear hug and whispered against her ear, 'Anytime you want me, just call me up.'

'Thank you,' said Lea and pulled apart. Her blue eyes sparkled and she looked at the couch and said apologetically, 'You should have never slept on the couch with me on top of you. I bet your back might be hurting like hell.'

'What back and what hurt? I am fit as a fiddle,' said Ken with a huge grin and continued, 'I gotta go, Lea. As you said assignment is pending.'

He brushed his knuckles across her cheek and dropped a kiss on her forehead. 'Take care,' said Ken and walked towards the door.

'You too,' whispered Lea and closed the door. She sat on the couch and the memories of last night flooded into her mind. His deep brown eyes, probing into her heart and the soft kisses that Ken gave her from time-to-time, made her skin tingle. He didn't run away from her when he heard all that she had to endure. Her past didn't scare him and Lea wished that she had met Ken earlier. She knew that Ken was more than a friend for her. Lea thought about the past couple of months which she had spent with Ken. The smart and efficient way in which Ken handled the assignments and projects, the protective way in which he held her hand whenever they crossed the streets and this morning ... Lea shivered when she remembered how badly she wanted to touch him, his reaction when she ran her fingers over his jaw, the heated look in Ken's eyes when she stood before him in the kitchen. It seemed like it took all of his control not to haul her into his arms.

She looked around and got up reluctantly, pushing Ken's thoughts to the back of her mind. You have an assignment to do; she reminded herself and walked towards her room.

***

Ken nudged Lea as he passed a note across the desk. Lea looked down at the note. It read "Wanna go for a movie this weekend?" Lea looked at Ken who seemed to be intently listening to the lecture. She wrote "Today is Friday. U mean Saturday?" She nudged Ken as she placed the note on his desk. Ken merely nodded his head and passed the note back to Lea. "Sure" wrote Lea and passed the note back again to Ken. Ken read Lea's reply and grinned. He signaled her thumbs-up and went back to his notes.

'Is everyone coming?' asked Lea as soon as the class got over.

'Nope, it's just you and me. Any prior appointments?' asked Ken as he gazed at Lea.

'Of course not, Ken. I am completely free. It's just that I wanted to know ...'

'... I understand. Rebecca and Keith are going on a trekking trip. The others were more interested in a trip up the hills and stuff,' said Ken gloomily.

'Don't worry, Mr. Harper. I promise that this weekend will be fun,' said Lea as she squeezed Ken's hand.

'Just being with you is fun, Miss Taylor. Don't think otherwise.'

'By the way, what should I wear?' asked Lea as she rested the tip of her pen against her lower lip.

'Anything you feel comfortable in. Moreover, any dress suits you,' confessed Ken as he took her hand into his.

'Really?' asked Lea as her eyes shined with a new glow. 'Someone seems to be flattering me today. What do you need, mister? By the way, is it a date?'

'I don't need anything from you. I am just telling you what I have always felt. It's just a casual meeting between friends,' said Ken and pulled Lea to her feet. 'Let's go and grab something to eat.'

***

Wearing an off-shoulder, knee length, navy blue dress, Lea stood apprehensively waiting for Ken. She knew that she was being silly. But she couldn't stop the racing in her heart. Would Ken be impressed with her? Would things change after today? She was lost in her chain of thoughts and was brought back to reality, when the doorbell rang. After one last look at herself, she went and opened the door.

Standing before her was a clean shaven, handsome Ken. He was wearing a polo shirt and a faded pair of jeans. He ran his fingers through his hair and smiled at Lea.