Because of the Night Ch. 17

Story Info
Mr. Leif faces Sir Colin.
1.3k words
4.58
9k
00

Part 17 of the 18 part series

Updated 10/26/2022
Created 09/03/2006
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

For Leif, it had been five lifetimes over since Taylor had been taken from Sir Glen's conclave two weeks ago. Though he muddled through his day, he had become detached. Sir Glen and Laurie gave Leif a wide berth, but kept a close eye on their friend. Glen had quietly been receiving messages about Taylor from Sir Marcus. He was reading one such message when he heard a dull roar start in the conclave. When Sir Glen emerged from his private study into the main entry hall, Lord Xavier had burst through the door with his entourage including, Sir Colin wearing his leather robes.

Trapped, Sir Glen did the only thing he could do. "Lord Xavier, so good to see you." Sir Glen greeted him warmly his head slightly inclined. Though he was sincere, he felt the remorseless stare from his equal, Sir Colin.

"I trust you remember Sir Colin." Lord Xavier raised an eyebrow as they entered. Glen nodded and folded his hands behind his back, falling into step next to Lord Xavier, usurping Sir Colin of his place. Sir Colin twitched his mouth with irritation and stepped right next to Glen. Lord Xavier appraised the double height entry hall with appreciation. "Every time I come here Sir Glen, your conclave continues to impress me." Lord Xavier turned and gave Colin a warning look.

"I am honored you enjoy coming here."

Laurie appeared at the top of the stairs, hearing Sir Glen's voice. She paused seeing Lord Xavier and Sir Colin as Sir Glen's guests.

"Is that your Laurie? My God Sir Glen, I should have taken her from you when I had the chance." Having been noticed, Laurie descended and joined Sir Glen by his side.

"Welcome Lord Xavier, Sir Glen." She said sweetly. Colin's hazel eyes pierced her like daggers.

"I am quite sorry I missed your binding ceremony Sir Glen. I'm sure it was quite lovely." Lord Xavier kissed Laurie's hand.

"You were quite missed." Glen assured him vaguely while looking at Sir Colin, wanting to hide Laurie behind him wishing that would be enough to warm the room against the one-man cold front that had just appeared.

"We have business." Sir Colin's words were terse. The pleasantries were biting at him; he knew from just one look at the ever 'perfect' Sir Glen, he was certainly not welcome here.

"Well, no use mincing words with you then. This way to my study." Sir Glen took the hint and directed the way to the study. When they were on the way, he whispered, "Laurie will you direct Mr. Leif to the study."

Laurie watched Sir Colin saunter behind Lord Xavier only nodded as Sir Glen left her side and motioned for a servant to bring them drinks in the study.

Once the drinks had been presented, Leif came to stand in the shadows at Sir Glen's side, and the doors firmly shut, Sir Colin walked around the room like a caged animal. Lord Xavier settled into a wingchair and sipped watching Sir Colin.

"Is there something I can get you?" asked Sir Glen.

"Enough stalling Glen. We're here to make sure what is mine is returned." He announced without pretense. He turned and stared at Leif.

Sir Glen took a ledger from his desk drawer. "These are my records, you will find no fault with them. There is nothing of yours here."

"What about him?" Colin jerked his head towards Leif.

"Mr. Leif was registered as a member of my order. He's since been selected to rise from their ranks. I have it all in the ledger, if you will just..." Sir Colin knocked the book from Sir Glen's hands as he leaned over the desk.

"Where's the proof?" He asked.

Glen stood up and leaned back in and said in a tight controlled voice. "I will not have you upend my conclave while you search for your wayward sheep -Sir- Colin. My word is my bond such that of all companions."

Lord Xavier chuckled. "So there is some fight left in the legendary Sir Glen. Back away Sir Colin, but you owe him his proof Sir Glen."

Leif stepped forward and showed his tattoo. "Enough proof for you Sir Colin?"

Sir Colin grabbed him and looked at the tattoo. Disgusted, he threw Leif back. "I branded mine on the left on the back."

Sir Glen was on his feet, indignant for his friend, his arms crossed. When Leif looked to him, Sir Glen nodded and set his jaw on edge. Leif pulled off his shirt and turned around.

Clearly disappointed, Sir Colin walked around to look Leif in the eye and with a serpentine smile he said, "You're still useless. Not a shred of discipline in him. Didn't you hear that Lord Xavier requested that I had my proof? You owed it to me boy, by my right as a true companion." Colin turned to Glen as Leif pulled on his shirt, fuming. "He'll never be half of what you are Glen." Leif was certain he would boil over and turn Sir Colin inside out, but Sir Glen stepped in and put Leif behind him slightly.

"I expect Mr. Leif to be entirely himself Sir Colin. And he's done remarkably well."

Lord Xavier had by now begun to flip through the last few years of Sir Glen's ledger and mentioned as his finger traced down the page, "You were entrusted with some who may have come from Sir Colin's conclave."

Turning his attention to Leif, he gave him a meaningful look hoping that Leif would stay out of the matter. "When I heard Sir Colin was going to be restored, I returned all of his companions to where they had been taken. You will find, Mr. Leif, my Laurie, the Order and the servants are all that are here."

"You may examine the grounds, but please do not disturb anyone." Offered Mr. Leif. "If you find there is a discrepancy, we'll have it examined immediately."

Lord Xavier chuckled watching Sir Colin bluster. "Has Mr. Leif asked for his robes yet Sir Glen? I'll give them to him now. He seems anxious for your job."

Leif stepped back, eyeing Sir Colin suspiciously.

"Mr. Leif has his own decision to make up when it comes to his robes. I expect in due time that he will make his choice."

Sir Colin reached for the ledger from Lord Xavier and traced the carefully penned information with a thin finger. "It says here boy that you've been entitled to your robes since Sir Glen appointed you five years ago."

Sir Glen once again set his jaw on edge and interrupted Mr. Leif. "Sir Colin, I would appreciate you give Mr. Leif his due, he has earned undue respect in this conclave."

"So the boy does have guts. It is a wonder that he has any at all, he spent most of the time spewing them on my floors."

"Enough Sir Colin." The mandate came from Lord Xavier. "We have twenty more places to visit to completely restore you. You can visit Mr. Leif and Sir Glen another day."

"It was my pleasure to see you Lord Xavier."

"Likewise Glen."

Sir Colin slid the ledger back onto the table and followed Lord Xavier outside. Though Sir Glen saw them outside, Leif didn't join him until they were well on their way.

"That was pleasant." Leif looked down at the small dust devil that seemed to follow Sir Colin and Lord Xavier. Sir Glen looked pointedly at Leif and raised his hand to shield his eyes.

"Thank you for your intervention Sir Glen."

"What I said is true Mr. Leif, no thanks is necessary."

"It is nice to hear it every now and then."

"Without a doubt." He clapped Leif on the shoulder.