Behind The Potted Plant

Story Info
Neal learned that there was more to Alexis than money.
69.7k words
4.59
25.9k
20
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Philip Johnson

Chapter One

Jim leaned over the table and in a near whisper said, "Hey Bro, Alexis Reinhart just came into the restaurant," and that's all it took for him to put on his bright business smile, and his wife Brook looked toward the front of the restaurant.

"Neal," Jim said, "We have to make a point to stop and say hello before we leave." Then Alexis looked past the maitre de and smiled at us.

"I don't think we need to worry about that at all," and she moved toward us. No, she smiled and levitated before she came toward us. Or at least her long legs and perfect posture made it appear that way.

As she neared, Jim and I stood up and smiled, and were soon rewarded with kisses on our cheeks before Jim said, "Nice to see you again Alexis."

"Thank you Jim." Then she looked at me and then to Brook saying, "Hello Neal. Brook, you look wonderful."

Brook knew how to play the game too. "Thank you Alexis, and you look stunning as always."

"Thank you. I'm supposed to meet some friends, but they just called because they're running late. It would seem that Conrad was driving fast and they were stopped for speeding."

"Then please join us until they arrive."

"I don't mean to intrude, but I did want to say hello."

"You're not intruding at all, share some wine with us."

"If you're sure, then thank you I will," and for the next twenty minutes the four of us chatted. Had we been at a bar hoisting beers we would have been shootin' the shit, but at Ruth's Chris Steak House, we were chatting and sipping wine. Our ever attentive waiter provided us with more wine, and Alexis with a glass, and our chatting continued unabated.

As we talked my attention, of course, was on Alexis, but I listened more than I talked. Jim was her architect and I was her lowly general contractor whenever she was into another of her projects, which was often. The last time it was her lake house that we remodeled and almost doubled in size. When we began that project it was a cottage, but when we were done it was a lake house.

As I listened, I thought about her. I knew she was single, but I didn't know the details. Was there a Mr. Reinhart in her past? I didn't have a clue. Hell, I didn't even know if she'd ever been married, let alone divorced or widowed, nor did I have a clue where her money came from. I just knew that she was what I considered wealthy. In beer talk she would be damn rich.

Most of her attention had been on Jim and Brook, but then her hand went to my forearm and she lit me up with her smile and said, "And how are you doing Neal?"

"When we sat down I was doing fine, but with you at our table I have to say I'm doing so much better."

Her eyes danced as she absorbed the sugary words and simply said, "Thank you Neal. You look like life has been good to you."

"Indeed it has. Are you enjoying your lake house?"

"I just love it," and looking back to Jim she added, "I love the design you came up with."

"Thank you, but that was a collaboration between you and me and Neal." I liked being included, but in truth I had damn little to do with the design, except for what I offered when Jim and I were hoisting those beers at the bar or at home.

My attention went up another notch when Alexis said, "Jim, I want to get with you about doing something with my house. Call me and we can go over my thoughts in more detail." Then looking at me she added, "Neal, I'd want you involved in this too of course."

I could feel Jim smiling inside. "I'll call you in the morning then Alexis." Then smiling he added, "But not too early in the morning." She just smiled. We knew that she liked to stay up late and sleep in the next morning.

"Neal, I'm surprised that you don't have some gorgeous woman with you. Are you a dedicated bachelor?"

"Oh no. But you've set the bar so high. How can I ever hope to find somebody like you?" Then I smiled at her.

We both knew I was just blowing smoke up her ass, but she smiled back and said, "You are so full of sweet lies," and after getting up she kissed my cheek again before she walked away.

As soon as she had left to join her friends, Jim asked, "What the hell can she do with her house. It's huge now to say nothing of impressive."

Brook offered, "If she makes it much larger it will be more offensive than impressive."

"And the house isn't all that old either," I said and then added, "I'm guessing maybe eight years at the most."

"I can't wait to hear what she's come up with this time." Then looking at Brook he asked her, "How old do you think she is?"

"Oh, maybe forty or so. It's hard to tell, because her main job in life is to take very good care of herself and it shows, so maybe even forty five or six."

"I'm thinking more like forty or slightly less rather than more."

I just smiled and said, "Going by her legs I'd have to say more like thirty five."

Brook smiled and said, "I didn't know you were a leg man."

"I'm not. Well not exactly anyway, but that's what I could see the most of this time."

"We certainly saw enough of them, that's for sure."

"You know what they say, go with your strengths, and her strength isn't in her breasts." Brook smiled, but rather than encourage me, she just sipped her wine. "As I remember it, her front door opens into a foyer larger than my guest room, and from there you go straight ahead to the great room."

"Right. There really is no living room per se, and angling off to the right at the far end of the Great room you go into the hearth room or den."

"Oh that's right, the den and great room connect to the grilling porch with the outdoor kitchen."

"And it goes on and on. Be a hell of a place to have a party."

"From what I hear she's quite the hostess too. Damn I'm eager to hear what she comes up with."

Brook was studying what remained of her wine as she said, "I'd kill to have her kitchen. The whole back part is open to the great room and the den with a row of barstools so part of that long curved counter can serve as an excellent bar area."

Chapter Two

I didn't have to wait more than a few days before Jim called me about Alexis and her house. "Neal, I'm with Alexis talking about a project. Could you break away and join us at her house?"

I was very busy, but I wasn't stupid. "Of course I can, I'm on my way." Even with no details I knew this could end up being a large and very profitable contract. It took me half an hour to get to Granger, but as I drove up to her house I smiled and just looked at it for a minute. All rich brown colored brick in a grand country style. Double ornate oak front doors and a three car garage off to my right. Then more details came to me. There was a large storm closet, an exercise room and an office. About the only thing her house didn't have was a butler's pantry.

When the front door opened, Alexis smiled and I was treated to a light embrace and another kiss on the cheek, but closer to my mouth than was typical. "I know you're busy Neal, so thank you for rushing out here into the country."

"I'm glad to be here." Her arm slipped around my waist in a casual friendly way and we walked into the great room.

As we continued straight ahead, I mentally confirmed that the room was close to twenty feet wide. Pointing toward the wall and separated the great room from the grilling porch she said, "I want to take that whole wall out and expand the hearth room and great room into the grilling porch area. Then build another grilling area in conjunction with a pool and enlarging the flagstone and cement patio area."

"So the great room, hearth room and grilling porch would become one huge great room."

"That's right. Much better for entertaining. Let's face it, if I'm here alone I usually end up lounging in my suite."

"So no thought to adding a living room then."

"No. Living rooms look nice, but I really have no need for one. That's one reason I chose this floor plan in the beginning. The architect broke with tradition by taking away the living room." Then sweeping her arm around in an arch she said, "Look how nice this is for entertaining. Then consider how much nicer it will be with the new design. Maybe add a bar area and another one out on the new grilling porch, or rather lounge area, instead of that silly summer kitchen that I never use."

"Alexis, the first thing I notice is part of that wall between the grilling porch and the hearth room is a load bearing wall. Not a major obstacle, but one that Jim will have to work around right Jim?"

"Neal is right, but I have a couple of ideas to deal with that."

Alexis smiled and managed to get an arm around each of us as she said, "I can hardly wait to see this happen and I knew that I had to work with you two."

What I couldn't know was, seeds were slowly being planted that were going to have a major impact on my life for years to come, and perhaps for the rest of my life.

Jim and Alexis talked about some of the details, and for the most part I just listened. Then Jim told her he'd get started on some rough drawings to show her, and with that she walked us to the door. As we walked out toward our cars Jim said, "Alexis asked a good question by the way. Why don't you have a woman in your life, and don't give me that bull shit you gave her."

"I'm seeing Linda, or did you forget that detail?"

"Okay, and how often do you two get together?"

"In other words are we getting serious?" I shrugged my shoulders and said, "Not really serious, but I'm not looking to start seeing anybody else either."

He stopped at his car and as he opened his door he said, "I think you're too lazy to invest a lot of effort in any woman."

"Up yours bro, I said as I smiled. "I'm doing just fine. You just got damn lucky with Brook so don't get too full of yourself. See ya later," and I got into my car and led the way back to Mishawaka.

I had more than enough to keep me busy, but despite that fact I found Alexis and her project popping into my mind frequently. I told Linda about the whole Alexis thing over dinner Friday evening, but after that I didn't bring it up again. I really wouldn't have much to say until Jim and Alexis had come to an agreement on the design. Then it would be my turn to talk to her about the cost and the stages and details of the construction. I almost thought that I could charge her whatever as long as it wasn't outlandish and she wouldn't balk. But one bad report from her and I could lose a lot of business. Besides, that wasn't my style. I would quote her fairly, but at the same time it wouldn't be a bargain.

As the days passed, I did my best to get caught up so I could concentrate on Alexis and her project, and about ten days later Jim called me. "I just spent an hour with Alexis showing her drawings and talking about some of the finer details. I'm happy to say she's pleased and eager to get started. What will your schedule be like?"

"I'm working hard to make time for her, so I should be in at least halfway decent shape."

"Great, I'll have Jeff get some halfway decent drawings to you to look at and we'll get started on the official plans."

"That'll be good. Okay, and so it begins." Then an hour later Alexis called me. "This is Neal."

"Hi, it's Alexis. Could you and I get together and talk about a few things?"

"Of course, what's convenient for you?"

"My schedule is pretty open today and tomorrow."

"How about later today, say around five?"

"Wonderful Neal, see you then. Bye."

That conversation was one more step toward my impending philosophical realignment. Even sitting there thinking about Alexis I had to wonder if I hadn't been true to myself. Maybe I was a confirmed bachelor after all. Marriage wasn't something that I had a lot of interest in. I wasn't hot to see how many women I could bed, but at the same time I liked knowing that I was free to bed one here and there, should I have that opportunity.

I was greeted by Maggie, Alexis' housekeeper and was led to the great room, where I found Alexis sitting there smiling at me as I neared her. "Thank you Maggie," and I was motioned to sit next to her on the love seat. Her hand went to my thigh as she said, "Thanks for dropping everything and coming out Neal."

"You're very welcome. So what wonderful things have you come up with?"

"You are such a sweet liar. Wonderful things I came up with? That's a nice way to say this crazy woman is out of touch, and I love you for your sensitivity. Now before I make you uncomfortable, let's talk about how you see construction going."

"You'll continue to have use of most of the great room until near the end, but there will have to be a plastic curtain around the end of your kitchen to control the dust. Sorry I can't do much about the noise however."

"That won't be a problem."

"You're going to end up with the largest great room I've ever heard of."

"I know, isn't that crazy? I have a decorator coming to talk to me so that I can have everything ready the minute you say you're work is done. Oh, and what about the pool and patio?"

"I'll have my favorite pool contractor take care of the pool and Wilson's will do the patio flagstone work. Has the landscape architect been in touch with you?"

"Yes he has, and he instantly had some thoughts that he shared with me. I'll enjoy working with him I'm sure."

"Good, because we'll almost certainly do some considerable damage to some of the lawn before it's over."

"That's all fixable so I'm not worried. Besides I know that you'll do your best work and have my interest at heart. That's why I always turn to you and Jim for my projects."

"Thank you for your confidence."

"Okay so time estimates. How long after you have Jim's plans will you begin?"

"As soon as he gives me the word and I can get the basic materials on site. Then the chaos will begin. I can't give you a time for completion until I've seen the final drawings though."

"That's fine. I want to have a party. A gathering of friends not long before you start so that's why I wanted to know about dates."

"Oh, I see. I can see things starting to happen by the end of the month assuming there are no problems from Jim or from the building permits, which by the way I don't foresee, because the footprint of your home will not change except for your new grilling porch extension."

"Oh good, then I'll start making my guest list and get the arrangements started. I want this to be my best party ever. Maybe to celebrate the new construction."

I gave her my best smile and said, "Then maybe another party to celebrate the completion of your greatest of great rooms." That made her smile grow and then she kissed my cheek again.

"Yes, that would be perfect, absolutely perfect." I just wished I had her freedom; her ability to follow her wishes and dreams. Of course I also wished I had her money to use for chasing those dreams. With the clarity of things when looking back, I could have seen my talk with Alexis was yet another step toward the end of my metaphorical gangplank and the sharks could well be very hungry.

Chapter Three

Once home again I called Jim and we talked about our Alexis project, and I told him about visiting with her. When Jim told Brook afterward she called me and asked, "Are you getting a thing for sweet Alexis?"

I laughed and said, "Yeah right, I'm hot for a rich woman that shows no interest in men of any kind, and she'll fall all over me, a general contractor. I'm used to working with guys that fart, scratch their balls, drink too much and swear constantly. I'm not into fine dining, lace and tuxedos."

Brook laughed and said, "What a picture you paint of your exciting life. Okay I was just checking, but after you mentioning her killer legs I had to check. Well and you flooded her with sweet words"

"I'll drown her in sticky sweet syrup if it will help things to go smoothly and encourage her to us our services again. Oh, and she still has killer legs, and the rest of her isn't exactly ugly either."

"But her boobs are too small."

It was my turn to laugh that time and then said, "I said they were small, not too small. I've never seen breasts I didn't like because they were too small."

"So you really do like women."

"I'm hot for women, but just not out of control."

"I'm buying about twenty percent of what you're saying. Okay, talk to you soon I'm sure. Bye stud," and she hung up before I could come back with some snappy response. Then I had to wonder what twenty percent was it that Brook did believe? I'd have to ask her about that.

My life was simple all things considered. I did love women, but...well maybe it was like Jim said, I just didn't have a compelling reason to pursue the opposite sex. I liked Linda a lot, but the fact that we saw each other at most once or twice a week was telling, and those times it was usually out for dinner and or drinks and occasionally out with Jim and Brook. I hadn't screwed a woman in months and that realization jarred me a little.

I saw myself as fit and in good shape. Six one and one ninety and still had pretty good stamina for my age of forty. Jim on the other hand was five eleven and two something. That meant that every time we were together I felt like something of a stud. A stud whose sex drive had a broken transmission it seemed. But then it also dawned on me that Linda was a driving force with our abstinence too. Was her sex drive in neutral too? I'd have to think about that detail. And what about Alexis? Maybe she didn't have much of a sex drive either, so maybe I was more normal than I first thought. Of course Alexis could be getting it twice a week and I wouldn't know it, but she never seemed to be like that. Maybe when you're dysfunctional you seek out others that are just as bad or worse so you'll look better in your own mind.

Three weeks later Jim sent me, via Jeff, my copy of the blueprints. It was time to gather the team and get to work. I could almost feel myself sitting in the new car with leather upholstery and heated seats that I would buy with the profits from this job. Actually it would likely be a new pickup truck, but I was going for the top model whatever brand I decided on.

Jim had another meeting with Alexis and they went over everything one more time before he called me and gave me the green light to get started. That next Monday put me on the phone to Alexis to tell her, "It's time Alexis. Maybe we better get together again and talk about storing your furniture and so forth. I'll be able to leave you with a sheet giving approximate times and details of construction too."

"I'm so excited Neal. Yes, come out for an early dinner and then we can talk over wine." I swallowed hard because this was something new in our friendship.

"Thank you, I'd like that very much." I wasn't prone to getting overly nervous, but this turn of events had me sweating a little. I'd have to be proper and gentle and use the correct fork. I'd have to smile at the appropriate moments and be sure to make great eye contact all the way through dinner and the wine. And I couldn't scratch my balls or swear. I decided I needed more time away from my rough and ready crews, and I needed to clean up my act a little so it wouldn't be such a strain behaving myself in front of the likes of Alexis. Okay, maybe that would be my next New Years resolution.

I was greeted with a social but firm and extended embrace before she kissed my cheek. But this time I returned the kiss and to my great relief she led us to the breakfast room. "I much prefer dining here instead of that stuffy dining room. Maggie has prepared us a light dinner and I have a wonderful white wine to go with the Apalachicola Bay scallops and salad."

"Sounds great." I was going to have to be more flowery and witty than that or this was going to get very uncomfortable for me. I managed the flowery and even a glimmer of intelligence, but the witty part never appeared. I also did great with the eye contact.