Blood Bonds Pt. 12

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You know what I mean."

"Are you still...?"

"I'm still... who I was. Behind all this. Nothing's changed except that now I'm in this body permanently when I'm in this plane."

"And they know this, your familiars?"

"Aside from Arkon and Ash, no. They know what, but not who. My kind are all but forgotten on this world."

"Is that a bad thing?" he chuckled.

"No," she said, grinning at him.

He lunged forward and caught her chin in one hand, holding her jaw down and looking into her mouth intently. She stared him down, one eyebrow coming up.

"Vampires fascinate me," he muttered, peering into her face, studying her skin. "Always have. How are you different?"

"Is this the place?" she mumbled, though he held her chin still, bringing one finger up and nearly touching one of her lower fangs before she jerked free.

"I know better, sorry," he managed, shaking his head at himself. "You're so full of these automatic predatory impulses. Such a combination of advanced demon and primitive human. Absolutely unlike any other creatures."

"It's a novel experience," she deadpanned, absently rubbing her upper fangs through her lip.

"They ache with Thirst, don't they?" he asked, smiling like a child. "I've noticed for centuries that your kind rub their fangs like that. Except all the others can hide theirs."

"Mine are permanent," she shrugged. "At least this set is. I have another. And they do ache. Pound in our gums."

"Does that ache drive the need to feed as much as the Thirst?"

"Does the thought of sinking your teeth into a big, warm, juicy steak make you any less ravenous?"

"You think of us as walking steaks?" he asked, horrified on a level that had nothing to do with his sudden burst of laughter.

She rolled her eyes, taking a big swallow of her wine.

"I think I liked it better when you were scared of me. 'Lady Talera' and all that."

"Oh, I'm more terrified of you than ever," he managed, taking a deep breath, wiping tears out of one eye. "Five thousand years ago, you were just a being looking out of a human body, but still basically human. Constrained by the fragility of the body you inhabited. Now you're in a form that not only has limitless potential on its own, it can channel all you've got pushed back on some other plane without disintegrating like every other you've ever had. That's truly terrifying."

She sighed, leaning back in the booth and staring at him, expression neutral. Then she let out a soft chuckle, baring her top fangs for a moment in a grin before closing her lips, shaking her head.

"What?" he asked, cocking his head to the side, leaning forward with his elbows on the table.

"Everyone is so concerned about what I might do."

He leaned back, taking a deep breath.

"And not about what you are doing," he murmured. "Which is nothing."

"No designs on humanity, the planet, the galaxy, the realm, or anything else," she said softly, reaching for her glass.

She smiled faintly, the age in her eyes shining though for a heartbeat. Then she blinked, and their green was hard, jewel-like once more, smile twisting into a smirk.

Draining her glass, she set it on the table, and with a nod to her old friend, slid gracefully and soundlessly out of the booth.

"K—Talera, please," he whispered, lunging over to catch her cold hand as she moved back. "Be careful. Even if they don't know you like I do, they're still terrified of you. Fear can turn ugly. You know that better than I do."

She stepped forward and leaning down, kissed him softly on the forehead. Then was gone.

He sighed, then ordered another beer, looking up at the waitress this time when she brought it.

**

Sarah looked down at the car beside her, then back to the Chicago skyline in every direction. From her vantage point at the top of the tall parking garage, she could see a good portion of the city, all shiny and sparkling under the damp covering of fresh rain. A sharp wind sliced off the Lake and sent her coat to flapping, hair into her face, bringing the scents of any big city washing past. Pizza, fast food french fries, diesel exhaust, wet pavement.

She looked over at Talera, who was scanning their surroundings surreptitiously, though only her eyes moved. Her face was set in a neutral expression, shining inhumanly in the low, inconsistent light around them.

"So, if you need me—" the vampire began, cut off when Sarah interrupted.

"I know, just say your name," the girl reassured her, smiling ruefully. "I'll be fine. I don't think mortal danger is lurking in the shadows of my parents' house."

Talera shrugged, but smiled when Sarah reached out to embrace her, body softening into the hug. The girl stroked the vampire's long silver hair for a moment, then took a step back.

"Enjoy the car," Talera remarked with a grin.

"Why isn't it black?" Sarah asked, turning to look over the gleaming deep blue Audi A8L. "I thought all your cars were black."

"It's not mine," Talera said with a wink, tossing over a set of keys in a high arc. "Take all the time you need."

With a rush of wind, she was gone before the keys landed in Sarah's hand.

Sarah huffed a laugh, popping open the door and sinking into the soft leather seat, inhaling the scent of new car and supernatural spice before she closed the door. A heads up display came to life on the windshield as soon as she turned the key, informing her of various things, including the current weather, traffic conditions and car status.

"Sheesh, how do you turn on the interior lights?" Sarah muttered to herself, looking around the sumptuous interior. As she finished the thought, the interior lights came up in a deep red.

"Are you serious?" she laughed. "Interior lights off."

The lights faded. Chuckling, Sarah ordered it back on then looked over the car, feeling slightly guilty about abandoning her old Jetta that currently sat in her parents' garage. Leaning over, she opened the glove box, finding, besides the CD changer and the new iPod plugged in and probably filled with her favorite music, the registration and insurance information. The insurance policy was unfamiliar but comprehensive and in her name, and the registration was in her name as well.

"Man," the girl muttered. "And to think I got her wine glasses for her birthday last year."

She turned the lights off, giving herself a minute to study the driving and audio controls before she put the car into reverse and backed out of the space. The tires squealed as she stepped far too hard on the feather-responsive gas pedal, then slammed on the brakes.

"Good thing I'm the only one up here. Maybe a little music to calm the nerves."

After figuring out how to activate the iPod and setting it to play her current favorite songs, she tried again, gingerly pressing the gas pedal once more and guiding the vehicle down the ramp and onto the street, heading towards the suburbs.

*

"I didn't get a car," Ana pouted from high above, watching Sarah pull away across the street and head off into the city. The wind picked up her hair, whirling her scent into the night, making Talera, who stood at her side, shake her head a little as if to clear it.

"Yet," the vampire grinned, flashing fangs luridly.

"Are we going to watch her the entire time she's here?" the Dark Succubus asked, raising an eyebrow at her friend, who shook her head.

"Awesome, then there's this club I've been dying to get into."

*

"So much for laying low while I'm here," Talera muttered, looking down from high above at the entrance to the club. "You realize Terpsichore is the hottest supernatural club in the Midwest."

"Why do you think we're here?" Ana grinned, flexing her wings, feathers fluttering in the wind.

"At least the local council head is here tonight. Saves me a trip."

"You really have to present yourself when you come into another city?" Ana asked skeptically.

"Yup. It's a territory thing. And just polite besides. Come on, let's get changed. 'Twould not befit my rank if I strolled in there wearing jeans."

*

"Sarah!" Marybeth Phillips exclaimed, rushing into the kitchen when she heard the door alarm chirp. She caught her daughter up in a crushing hug, her tall, willowy frame taught with surprise and joy. "I had no idea you were coming home! I didn't even hear the taxi drop you! Conrad!"

"Where'd that Audi in the driveway come from?" Conrad Phillips asked as he came in from the living room, then froze when he saw his daughter. "Sarah! When the hell did you get here?"

"Hi, Dad," she smiled, coming over to hug him, noting her arms had a little trouble getting around a midsection that was expanding comfortably with age. "I, uh, borrowed the car from a friend."

"Nice friend," he humphed, hugging his daughter back, pecking a kiss on her forehead, though he was a good three inches shorter.

"What brings you all the way up here, honey?" her mother asked, smiling brightly. "Is everything okay with school?"

"Yeah, mom. Everything's fine. I'm taking a break this semester, but I already have my classes lined up for next one. No worries. I was just a little homesick. Thought I'd drop in for a couple days or so."

"Taking a break?" her dad asked, lifting a stern brow.

"I said don't worry, dad," Sarah said with a glare.

"Okay, I said I wouldn't push," he conceded. "Just be sure you know what you're doing."

She cocked her head as she heard footsteps from the living room, felt the floor rumble as if there were a crowd in the house. Looking around, she smiled faintly, wondering idly if her parents were having some sort of party, though there had been no cars outside the house.

An odd whistling sound pierced the silent air for an instant. A sharp sting in the side of her neck. Another burst of tiny pain in her tricep.

"Mom?" she gasped, pulling the empty dart out of her arm and looking down at it in her hand, though the world started to spin hard.

"I'm sorry, baby," her mother sobbed, starting to come forward, arms out. "They told me it was what was best! They told me they could help you!"

"How could..."

Sarah gasped as she realized she was surrounded. She felt the panic rise in her throat, felt her stomach turn over, a deep shiver running through her entire body. She wanted to scream. To yell. To fight back. But she was so tired. She could barely keep to her feet.

The world tipped on its side. The floor rushed up to meet her face.

-Talera-

She felt the Mark on her arm spark. Once. Twice. Then nothing. Only the barest of warmth from her forearm.

-Kevin-

Nothing.

-Ana-

Nothing.

The world was silent. Only movements around her. She saw what seemed to be dozens of pairs of feet rushing forward. Saw guns pointed in her face. Saw chains slash across her field of vision. Blackness.

*

"Talera!"

Ana heard the call inside her head, undiluted by the pounding bass and flashing lights of the club. Swaying to the beat in front of her, Talera froze, head jerking up, hair flying as she turned.

Ana saw fire flare in the vampire's green eyes, then she vanished inexplicably, screams rising from around the dance floor. Several people were knocked backwards as Talera was literally tackled by at least five brawny vampires. Ana rushed forward, purple light building in her eyes as one pulled a giant syringe from his pocket. The Dark Succubus was caught from behind, a thick arm surrounding her neck, crushing her windpipe. She kicked viciously, trying to thrash her head backwards, but was held immobile. She felt a sharp, medical sting in the side of her arm.

"Don't try it, demon!" snapped a rough voice right in Ana's ear, carrying over the music and shrieks. "Make one move, and I'll snap her neck!"

Through tears and increasingly blurry vision, Ana saw Talera relax, rage and something dangerous burning in her green eyes. The vampire holding the syringe stabbed it into Talera's arm, eliciting a chuckle from the others. She sagged immediately, eyes rolling back in her head, out cold.

Ana tried to growl something threatening, reaching out with her power, but another sting touched her arm. Then she was out.

12