Blood of the Clans Ch. 03

Story Info
Garreth MacLeod becomes Chief, a guest joins the telling.
1.8k words
4.63
14.5k
3
Story does not have any tags

Part 3 of the 50 part series

Updated 11/02/2022
Created 08/16/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Garreth MacLeod stood with his mother, Julia and his younger brother, Peadair at the battlement wall, watching the birlinns sail out into Dunvegan Bay. Little did they know how life would change, with the events that would soon follow. His father, William, thirteenth Chief of the MacLeod's of Harris and Dunvegan, was setting out to battle with the MacKenzie's, after they had attacked MacLeod clan members along Loch Alsh.

Garreth, only seventeen at the time, wanted to go with him, but was bid to stay and defend the castle. He knew there would never be an attack on Dunvegan, but accepted his position and stood with his sword in hand, holding it high above his head, as he saluted his father and the men on their way to do battle. He watched as the men drew their swords in salute to him.

It would be three days later that his father's birlinn would return with him, an arrow piercing his chest, close to his heart. As William lay in his bed, hovering close to death, Garreth was summoned to his bedside. William held the clan amulet in his hand and a look of great sadness was upon his face. Garreth could see the pained emotion and wondered why he was feeling like that.

"Garreth, my son, take this amulet and keep it close tae ye at all times. Ne'er let it leave ye, till ye are dead or dying. It was my undoing tae leave it behind and now I pay the price fer no ha'ing it's protection tae guard me. Yer forefather, Malcolm, carved this from a piece of the cornerstone and had it blessed by a Fairy Queen. Its magic holds great powers and ye'll be guarded by them, as long as it's wi' ye. Garreth, my time is near o'er, so ye'll be the new Chief of the MacLeod' s. Do us prood, son and keep oor name strong and defend oor honour."

Garreth saw the ashen skin and paleness in his father's eyes, as he held his hand out to him. William placed the amulet in his hand and bade him to guard it with his life, as his life depended on it. Garreth knelt and tears welled in his eyes, knowing that his father would soon be leaving this world, to join his ancestors.

"Father, I will do as ye ask of me, I swear this tae ye."

"I know ye will, son. Make me prood. Hold Fast, son."

Those were the last words Garreth heard spoken, as his father slipped away, holding the amulet firmly into his hand. For all the strength of his character, Garreth couldn't hold back his tears and wept openly at his father s passing. His mother came to him and gave him comfort, as he held his father's lifeless hand and lay his head beside his body. The room was cleared of everyone, except Julia and Peadair. The priest that came from the local church, made a final blessing of the body and gave solace to the grieving family members, before leaving them alone.

Garreth looked into the eyes of both of them and could see the transfer of power had left his father and be given to him. For all that he knew he would hold this position one day, the weight of that responsibility was quickly filling him and burdening his spirit.

The castle was cast into mourning for the dead leader, as his body was prepared for funerary services. William's body was laid upon the cross bracing of his birlinn and then rowed towards his final resting place on the Isle of Iona, where generations of his ancestors lay. McCrimmon pipers played dirge after dirge throughout the voyage, as they sailed the eighty-five miles to St. Columba's Abbey on Iona, where past Chiefs now lay.

They landed on the east side of the island and William's body was carried by his men, led by Garreth and his mother, along the Walk of the Dead, to the Abbey. The priest blessed

William's body and the tomb was prepared for him, while he lay in state. Once finished, the procession made its way to the site and watched, as his father was interred into the holy ground and bade him goodbye for the last time.

He steeled himself to be brave and show no weakness, as he knew he was now to become the fourteenth Chief of his Clan. Julia wept openly and Garreth held his mother in comfort, as the stone door was closed, ending all physical connection to the once great man. The priest gave a final benediction to William and once back in the Abbey, blessed Garreth as the new Chief, granting him the power of the church in his new position.

The sail back to Dunvegan was made in silence, out of respect for William's passing, but it was welcomed by Garreth, as he considered what his new title meant to him. Once the birlinn docked and the procession made it up the sea-wall passage into the courtyard, Garreth knew in his heart, he had to drive away the joys of youth and adopt the ways of a Chieftain of his clan. He looked at his younger brother, Peadair and bade him to walk with him into the lands around the castle.

As they walked, Garreth shared his loss with his brother, but more importantly, made him his captain. Peadair stopped cold and stood looking at Garreth, realizing his brother's new position and now what was being asked of him. With complete confidence in Garreth, Peadair knelt and bowed his head to the new Chief. Garreth laid a hand on his shoulder and Peadair looked up to his face.

"Peadair, as much as I'm the new leader of oor clan, I ask that ye show me yer own strength. Should I fall, ye'll be gi'en the task of being Chieftain and it's up tae us tae lead our people well. Bear wi' me dear brother and do as yer asked and ne'er question my commands. Oor father has taught us well, but standing here wi' ye noo, I ha'e tae admit tae ye, that my heart is filled wi' my own doubts that I'll be as good as he was."

Peadair listened to his brother's confession and immediately rose to face him.

"Garreth, I ha'e every faith that ye'll be a great leader. Yer a good man and ha'e a good heart. I ha'e no doubts that ye'll lead us well and lead us long. We ha'e many allies and few enemies, so we stand wi' the power tae rule wi'oot consequence. Oor greatest friend and ally, John MacDonald will surely watch o'er us, while ye make yer way. Yer best friend, Grayson, will always be by yer side as well, like he always has." Peadair assured him.

Garreth looked at his brother and smiled for the first time in days, knowing the words he spoke were true and gave him comfort. He drew Peadair into a hug and they shared a last moment of being only brothers. Garreth knew from this moment on, that there would be a separation between them, once he was declared the Chief.

Garreth and Peadair walked back to the castle together, sharing thoughts on what to do first, all the while Garreth held the amulet tucked in the pouch tied to his waist.

It was a week afterwards that his mother announced her leaving, to go back to her own family, the MacLean's on the Isle of Mull. It was her wish to live as close to William as she could and be near the man of her heart. Her sons understood her desire to go, although they were reluctant to have her leave them.

Three days after Garreth was made Chief and the ceremony was complete, Julia bade her sons goodbye and sailed away.

Garreth sat with his friend, Grayson MacDonald, who had come to his declaration and shared a moment of their friendship together. Garreth was beginning to understand more and more the changes his father's passing, was making in his life. Garreth felt at ease, knowing Grayson and his family had pledged their friendship and loyalty to defend him and the MacLeod's, should the need arise.

More than ever, Garreth looked to Grayson as his source of comfort, to aid him in his new role as leader. Peadair was stalwart and true to his word and never questioned a decision

he made, giving Garreth the confidence in him, by carrying out his orders as given. Garreth led his clan well and made sure they remained the power of Skye, that his father had made them.

As years passed, good times prevailed among the clans. It was the greed of others that would upset the balance of the clans and bring turmoil to them and cause a great change in how the clans of Scotland would be ruled. What had started as a quick lesson in clan history, was turning into a detailed account of the events that transpired. Gordon knocked at the door and announced that dinner was ready and to come to the hall. Once the four were seated and Stuart had blessed the meal, a few guests asked what they had been talking about that was so interesting.

Stuart rose and smiled, before telling his guests. "Tavish and I were just gi'en Tom and Deb a bit of history about our clans and the MacRae's. Debra is a McRae and does'ne know anything about her clan and what caused the problems between us."

A look passed among the guests and Stuart and Tavish could see there was an interest to know themselves what happened.

"Would ye like us tae tell ye's the story as well?"" Stuart asked.

A resounding yes by everyone, convinced him it would be a good subject to continue once dinner was done. It seemed everyone ate a little faster, wanting to finish eating, so they could hear the tale being told. They weren't disappointed and once the plates were cleared, Stuart stood and told them quickly of what they had told Tom and Deb already.

As Stuart was getting into the story again, Gordon interrupted and ushered in a guest. Stuart and many others smiled and greeted the man as he came in and was given a place close to Stuart to sit. Stuart made a motion to start talking to Argus Stewart, but was waved off by him, to continue with the story instead.

Stuart smiled and accepted the proposal and cleared his throat.

"It was a dark time coming fer the MacDonnell's. O'er two hundred years before this, Hamish MacDonnell, known as Hamish the Elder, had defended the castle, Eilean Donan, against the MacRae's after a long and bloody battle. The castle had changed hands fer centuries between them since it was built, but the MacDonnell's had maintained possession and made improvements tae it since they took control. It was a late, spring day in April of 1589, that peace would be broken and blood would be spilled once more between them. James MacRae wanted Eilean Donan back again and this time, he had help"