Blood of the Clans Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Garreth replied, making it clear Cameron would not see battle.

Cameron looked down in defeat, but agreed to abide by the Laird's command of his father's wish.

"Listen tae me." Garreth boomed out. "Cameron Stewart will be in command of making camp and

readying the birlinns fer battle. His word is command." Garreth said strongly, seeing Cameron straighten in pride, at being named a Captain.

"All birlinns make fer the shore noo. When we land, I want all gear unloaded and stacked together. Coll, see tae it the tents are raised and fires lit. Griffin, make ready the stores of food. Laird Garreth, shall I send a couple of men tae scoot the area?" he said proudly, showing he was ready to be part of a battle as much as he could.

"Good Cameron. Ye two men, when ye get ashore, take arms wi' ye and scoor the area and make it safe. Report tae Cameron when ye get back." Garreth ordered again, then turned away and looked at Cameron smiling and winked at him, letting him know he was learning well.

Cameron walked along the sandy beach and watched, as the men re-boarded the birlinns and rowed across. Garreth's birlinn and four men waited, as Garreth stood and looked at the castle, pondering his plan with a stick in the sand. Cameron stood beside him and looked as well.

"What are yer plans, Laird Garreth?" Cameron asked him, seeing the scratching in the sand.

"I'm looking at where we can attack from and raise ladders tae scale the walls and enter. E'en wi' only a few men, they can hold us off from getting in. They have cannons that can take us oot as we approach from the water. We lost one birlinn and John MacDonnell, save a few cuts on the men, that's oor losses so far. I ha e tae find a way of reaching the castle and raising the ladders though and try tae no lose any more." Garreth told him as he thought, pointing to what he was looking at.

"I ha'e a thought, my Laird, if ye'll listen tae it." Cameron asked him,

"What do ha e on yer mind, Cameron?" Garreth turned to him in hopes he had something of use.

Cameron pointed at the flatter land further up the point the birlinns were sailing to. "If we wait until dark, we can bring they boats o'er land tae Loch Long and cross well oot of cannon fire. The men can approach the castle under the co'er of the trees along there." Cameron pointed out. "While they do that, more boats can sail across tae the mouth of Loch Duich and land wi'oot worry of being fired on. When ye're ready, ye can approach from both flanks and weaken their forces by making them spread oot around the castle tae defend every side at once." Cameron pointed out to Garreth, scratching it out in the sand.

Garreth looked incredulously at the young Stewart. "That's a brilliant plan, Cameron. Ye've learned well from yer father in waging a battle. Let's join the others and I'll tell them of the plan. Well done, Cameron, I'll make sure yer father knows of yer help." Garreth told him, as he slung his arm over his shoulder and walked him to the birlinn.

They jumped in and soon the men had rowed it onto the opposite shore and joined the others. Everyone disembarked and pulled it up onto the beach further.

"Cameron, see tae the camp and that the birlinns are prepared fer battle. When you're done, come back tae me here." Garreth told him.

Cameron walked proudly and gave orders to have all the powder and charges, as well as shot for the cannons aboard the birlinns dispersed equally. He strode further up on the shore and had six men start setting the tents and food stores. He ordered the two MacDonald men to take bows and arrows and make sure they were secure from attack. In a thought, he added,

"If ye happen tae see some game. a good feast oor first night will do us good." He told them and walked back to Garreth, who was standing with his Captains, going over strategies.

"Here he is. Cameron, show us what yer plans are fer crossing and approaching the castle." Garreth said as he crouched and brushed the sand smooth for him to draw it out.

Cameron drew the outline of the point they were on and then the two lochs, the position of the castle drawn last. Using the stick, he showed where they could drag the birlinns overland and into Loch Long, well out of cannon range. Then he showed where they could land and approach the castle under cover of the dense woods. He then showed the route the other birlinns could take and make for Loch Duich and land, ironically without knowing it, where the MacRae's had left their birlinn. He used his fingers to show how the troops could make it to the edge of the woods before they were in open land. With a quick dash to the far side of the bridge, they could approach behind cover, almost up to the castle wall. Many of the Captains looked at the plan and then each other, before looking back at Cameron.

"I think we ha'e oor way tae the castle, noo we need tae find a way tae get tae the walls and raise the ladders. If we can get in, it's as good as taken. But they can take us oot easily if we try. If we storm it all at once, we can over-whelm them with arrows, but I fear we'll have heavy losses if we do." Garreth told them.

"I ha'e another thought on hoo we can get tae the walls and ha e no fire on us." Cameron suggested.

All the men turned to him now and listened intently, Garreth showing his interest in it with great enthusiasm.

"I'm all ears fer it, Cameron. Tell us what ye ha'e."

"What I was thinking is this, They ha'e us beat wi' cannons if we approach by sea and they ha e the open land between the trees and the bridge tae hold us off with arras. What might work is if we make them concentrate on defending from the land side, we can approach

wi' a birlinn and quickly raise a ladder here. A couple of archers tae give them co'er and in no time, we should be able tae ha e twenty men o'er the wall and attack any defenders from behind."

Everyone stood and looked at Cameron and then to Garreth. Garreth looked at the plans scratched into the sands and could see how it could work.

"Once again, oor friend and ally, Cameron Stewart, has gi'en us a plan of attack that provides us wi' the best way in." he said looking at Cameron. "Cameron, this is the best plan I think any of us could come up wi'. I agree that we try it." Garreth told him and then looked at the Captains. "I want ye commanding the attack from the shore, Cameron. I'll command the crossing party up here on the point." Garreth stopped and looked about the men. "Peadair, take the birlinns doon Duich and wait on the coast there fer the signal. Both of us will be able tae see ye here Cameron, and ye'll see both of us. When everyone is in place, send a flaming arra intae the bay tae signal us that everyone is ready."

"Aye, Garreth." Cameron ascended, not using his title, in an attempt to feel equal to the men standing around him. Garreth looked at him casually and let it go, understanding the value of Cameron to the cause and allowing him some stature.

"Fer the noo men, let's make camp and get some food, I'm famished and could eat an ox myself." Garreth said smiling to them, feeling better about what lay ahead.

He took Cameron to his side and walked with his arm over his shoulder into the throngs of men busy setting up camp and building fires. Cameron gave some instructions to the men to prepare a meal for everyone.

"Ye'll make a good warrior and a good leader of men one day Cameron. Ye ha'e what it takes tae lead them. Yer father will be prood tae know hoo ye've helped wi' the battle plans and aided me." Garreth said proudly to him.

"I wish I could do more. I want tae be in the battle and show my skill wi' a sword." Cameron told him.

"Ye feel ye're good wi' a Claymore, do ye? Let's see what ye've learned so far." Garreth said to him and released his arm from around him. In a fluid move, his hand withdrew his sword and stood at the ready.

Cameron smiled his joy at getting to prove himself. He slid his sword from its sheath and

took a stance to counter Garreth's.

"Very good, Cameron." Garreth told him and moved his footing quickly, putting him in a better attack position.

He brought his sword around quickly on Cameron's weak side. In a quick move, Cameron was countering and blocking. The swords rung out with a clash of steel and the men turned to watch.

Cameron rotated his blade and Garreth blocked his move. Soon, the two were striking and

blocking in an intense set of moves. The men started cheering on Cameron, giving him more confidence to best Garreth and show his skill. After an attacking thrust, Garreth had left his side open and Cameron took the chance and smacked Garreth with his blade on his arse. In a quick spin, Garreth using both hands, curled his blade around Cameron's, twisting it out of his hand and sending it spinning end over end into the sand twenty feet away. A rap of the blade on Cameron's rear end, signalled the end of the lesson and an embarrassed young Stewart.

"Ye've learned well Cameron. Ye handle yer sword quite well. The telling s in whether ye can still fight like that when men are rushing at ye tae kill ye. I've seen many great swordsmen falter when they were faced wi' death, and they died standing there, wi' shock

and fear on their faces and in their eyes." Garreth told him plainly, but with seriousness in his intent.

Cameron looked at him and re-sheathed his sword. "I know I'll do well in battle Laird Garreth. Why won't anyone gi' me the chance tae prove myself?" He asked him with indifference to what he'd been told.

"When yer father thinks ye're ready tae take yer place beside him, when ye go intae battle, that'll be his decision alone tae make. No mine or any other man." Garreth told him in such a way it had a finality about it, that Cameron could not rebuke.

Cameron looked forlorned and walked away feeling diminished again in his self-worth. He went and stood with his brother and two cousins, who were anxious to know what it was like sparring against Garreth. Garreth stood and looked at him, remembering when he was that age and wanted to join in the battle, the anguish of hearing no, still echoing in him.

Grayson and his men were making their way through the glens with as much haste as they could safely. They had already made it well past halfway, before he called a halt to make camp for the night. The men tied their horses to trees and let them graze, while they unpacked their robes and made a light dinner of boiled potatoes and carrots, along with oxen saved from last night's feast.

The moon glowed on the waters of the River Sheil and illuminated the snow-capped peaks of the Five Sisters of Kintail, to the north of where they were. They spent no time telling stories or looking for merriment around the fire this night. They were all asleep save two, who stood guard, taking their turn as the others slept. By first light, they would be riding hard along the river to Loch Duich and then along the coast to Eilean Donan by mid-morning, arriving long before they thought they would.

Arabella and Braedon dined alone and talked into the night. The fire was stoked and kept alight by servants, who watched to make sure they were well taken care of. Soon the talk of battle turned to one of a more personal reflection, as they shared memories of happier times past. Arabella soon felt the familiar stirrings she had when she was with Braedon, as the talk became more intimate still. Braedon saw the firelight twinkling in her green pools, seeing the inner feelings Arabella held, coming through from them. Since his wife's passing, only Arabella had held any interest for him to share his heart with. He reached out his hand to her, Arabella looking at, as though to know what taking it meant, if she did. Fighting the fears in her heart, she reached out and not only took his hand, but a chance at feeling love once more. In as strong a pull as her heart had felt, Arabella was moved towards him, as he leaned forward to meet her, eyes fixed deep within each other. With only a breath between them, Braedon whispered.

"Bella"

With just as whispered a breath from Arabella,

"Braedon," before they stopped looking into each other's eyes and let their lips meet for the first time.

Their arms found each other and locked them into a passionate embrace to take their breaths away. The longing in their hearts being answered, the empty void in them filled at last. Without the need for words, Braedon took her offered hand and followed Arabella to her chambers, closing the door behind them. Fingers hastily made their duties swift, stripping laces and fabric away from each other. Standing naked in the firelight, Braedon held Arabella to him for the first time, feeling the softness of her, press into him. His lips found hers waiting, parted slightly with bated breath, in need of his once more.

Slowly they danced in passion, finding the bed and falling in embrace upon it, never wanting to let go of each other. Arabella found herself on top of Braedon, looking down at his piercing blue eyes, amid a sea of ginger red hair like hers. She smiled, mischief coming to her eyes and shifted her hips, feeling the stirring of him beneath her, his pulsing throbs pressing against her growing wetness. Moving, her face came to rest against his thigh, her ginger tresses blending against the backdrop of Braedon's body hair, as she lovingly took him in her hand and felt the joy she long had, in feeling a man's pride. Braedon gasped in awe-struck emotion, as Arabella showed him the pleasures she knew how to evoke from him, with her touch and her kisses.

**********

Stuart looked about at the faces of his guests, the women with looks of far-away longing and announced another pause for everyone to stretch and talk amongst themselves. A number of the women weren't happy with him leaving it there and wanted him to tell more. He laughed and shook his finger at them, in mock scolding of wanting more of the ribald telling of Highland lust.

He looked at Argus and asked with his eyes if he would tell him the news yet. Argus smiled and shook his head, keeping him guessing. Stuart laughed softly and offered another drink to him, which Argus accepted gratefully, dipping a shortbread finger into the liquid and eating it, much to Stuart's delight.

Please vote and comment.

12