Blood of the Clans Ch. 28

Story Info
Love becomes a bond of change. Courage is tested.
4.4k words
4.9
8.2k
3
Story does not have any tags

Part 28 of the 50 part series

Updated 11/02/2022
Created 08/16/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Grayson rose with the first, silver streaks of morning sun blazing into his eyes. He squinted and rolled over, moving away from the beckoning call to awake. He felt the pounding effects of whisky and ale in his head and knew he had drank far too much for his own good. As nature started calling him, he rose and emptied himself into the chamber pot, then contemplated returning to bed, but thoughts of Heather found their way into his head and he relished them happily. One thing that sat foremost in his mind, was marrying Heather and sharing in the love they held for each other. She had become his reason for defending Donan, more than kin or the Manrent that existed between them ever could. In his heart, he knew with absolute certainty, he would fight and die to protect her.

Down the hall from where he stood, Heather was lying in bed. She had awoke with a smile, something she found welcoming, after the many nights of tortured nightmares waking her. It wasn't hard for her to understand the source of her joy. It was all because of one man, Laird Grayson MacDonald. Her heart filled with thoughts of what he had done for her and her family, how he had brought a dire situation back from a lifetime of despair, to one of relative peace and safety. How her own self-loathing at what had happened to her and her cousins, at the hands of the MacRae's, was being washed away by his care and concern for her. She pictured his bright, blue eyes, shining with the look of his love for her and her assurance she was not being held in account for the defilement of her to give her body to him.

He had become all that was good in her world, one so strong in presence to give her hope of forever driving away the terrors. She felt a stirring in her loins as she imagined the two of them together making love, relishing the idea of physical contact with him. Her hand sought out the growing ache between her thighs and rubbed it. The pleasure shot through her and captured her completely. She continued rubbing and felt the wetness seeping from inside onto her fingers. The slippery fluids heightened her touch and shortly later, found ecstasy sweeping through her, as orgasmic bliss was acheived.

Grayson sighed as he looked at his bared member and wished for the day to share his physical love with Heather. He lay back on the bed, looking at the timbered ceiling, watching it fade from his vision and Heather was displayed before him. If all would go well with the battle before him, his heart wanted nothing more than to be a Laird, have his Lady and share their love.

Heather lay in her bed, the afterglow still feeding her thoughts of Grayson. She knew in her heart she could be with him, no shame or disgrace to deter her giving herself intimately. She wanted to be a good wife and Lady for him, but more than anything, she wanted to bear his children and raise future Lairds and Ladies of their clans. She looked down at the faint traces of scratches streaking her breasts, hoping they would fade away completely and rid her of any visible reminders. She knew she was no longer pure of body, but her love for Grayson was.

The day became theirs, as though it was decided by Fate to do so. The moment their eyes met, it showed to all around them, that a beautiful love existed between them. Anne caught the looks given between them and found herself smiling again. She too had lost a reason to look at life in a happy way, since her husband's and son's passing. Their love and the love Grayson had shown to the MacDonnell clan, had brought about a positive change to the people. It was the catalyst to bring a strengthening of the bond between the clans.

Glenn MacDonnell was one who benefited greatly from all that Grayson had done. The horrors of seeing most of his clan burnt to charred remains and his oldest cousin killed and left to rot in the woods, was being replaced with the sense of belonging again. Belonging to the spirit of the clan and all it meant to be part of something, something with so much meaning and the pride of giving one's all to it. He looked at his cousin, his friend, his family and felt his heart swell with a love of him. He knew in his heart that Grayson was a man he would lay his life on the line for, one he would gladly die for.

Throughout Eilean Donan, the attitudes of the people were changing, leaving the depressive weight of loss behind and moving on towards prosperity and renewal of faith. The castle and grounds were alive with people returning to the life they led before the attack, but inside everyone of them, lay the dread of the return of war and more loss.

Grayson and Heather rode out of Donan and north along Loch Duich, wanting time to be alone and away from all the eyes watching their every move. Grayson slowed and stopped, Heather doing the same, but unsure why. Grayson jumped off his horse and stood looking around them.

"A village Heather, right here. Close tae the castle fer protection and protection fer the castle as well. Farm the lands and fish the lochs, we can ha'e people come tae here as a centre fer trade. I think of Jacob and what he did in his life and how this would honour him and yer clan. I want tae help build this fer ye Heather, fer Lady Anne and the MacDonnell's. I'd like tae do it as part of yer clan."

Grayson's words continually filled her with happiness as he spoke, but upon hearing he wanted to be part of her clan, it could only mean one thing to her. Her heart fluttered, her hopes coming to the forefront of her emotions. Her hazel eyes glowed greener in moments, the joy her heart was feeling, shining through from them. Grayson helped Heather down from her horse, his heart racing at the touch.

Grayson could see the happiness in Heather's eyes, his own filling with the strength of his feelings for her. He knew no other moment could feel so right to him and he genuflected before her and asked for her hand with his. Heather slowly held it out and took his, her strength to wait for the words growing faint.

"Heather, I've ne'er been surer of what my heart feels, as it does noo. It would honour my heart, if ye'd accept my hand and marry me."

Heather's tears of joy flowed, her smile as wide in happiness as it could ever be. She touched Grayson's cheek with her other hand softly, caressing his smooth skin. She grasped his hand tighter, making a surer bond between them.

"It would be my honour, Laird Grayson, tae be yer wife and Lady of yer castle. I happily accept yer proposal of marriage."

Heather was a monument of beauty to Grayson, as he looked up at her. His memories of earlier played rapidly in his mind, his heart quickening at the thought that that would become a truth in his life. He rose and held her hands in his, his feelings clearly showing in his eyes and smile. As the force's of nature took over, Grayson gently pulled Heather to him, Heather coming on her own willingly, until inches of nervous expectation held them apart. Grayson looked deeply into Heather's eyes and spoke the words his heart was holding back.

"Graim thu go siorai, Heather."

"Graim thu go siorai, Grayson."

Heather took no time in responding with her own heart-felt words and it took but a moment of hesitation, until their lips met in the first kiss of their love. Grayson folded her into his arms and held her close, as his lips told her all his heart wanted to say, as her lips spoke to him in kind. Their world was held in that moment, all that mattered was fulfilling their hearts' desire to share what they held.

Two smiles remained and two hearts beat with a happiness that consumed them. They re-mounted and continued their ride north. It wasn't long before they were once again in front of Jacob's cottage and the still smouldering embers of the pyre. Grayson and Heather stopped and looked at the deserted cottage, now a refuge for wildlife and insects.

"We ha'e one last thing tae do fer Jacob, Heather." Grayson said, as he dismounted.

He helped Heather dismount and had her hold the horses, while he went and found a length of wood from the embers, still smouldering. He worked his breath on it and brought it back to a flame.

"What are ye doing, Grayson?"

Heather's question was one she already had an answer for, but wanted Grayson to confirm it.

"It would be a disgrace tae him, tae leave his home in such a state. It'll ne'er be fit fer man or beast tae live in again. It's a proper show of respect, if it's burnt doon, as much as it's a pyre tae him."

Grayson's explanation made all the sense to her. Even though he was given a warrior's send off, what remained seemed to tarnish the memory of him. Grayson took a deep breath and walked inside the cottage, instantly filling his mind with the memories of Kyle. He touched the torch to everything flammable; backing out of the door, as smoked started to billow out. He stood with Heather and held her to him, as they watched the small cottage become engulfed in flames.

"I'll ask Lady Anne tae keep this area fer something special. Something grand."

Heather tightened her hold on Grayson's arm and felt it move to hold her close. She wrapped her arms around his waist, as he wrapped his arm and sheepskin robe around her. They stood and watched the smoke rise, the soft breeze carrying it into the trees and up the side of the mountains. When the thatched roof crashed into the inside, a shower of sparks rose, a final burst before the flames died down, to burn the remains to cinders.

Grayson turned his head and kissed the strawberry blonde curls atop Heather's head. She turned her face up to Grayson and saw the depth of his love for her, the blue in his eyes, the strongest shade she had ever seen them. Nothing could have made her feel more like living, than seeing that look in them. She silently offered her lips to him, enjoying the sensation of freely giving herself to him. His lips met hers and the emotions roared between them, rising ever higher in each of them. In their hearts, there was no reason to hold back, no reason to doubt or question.

The sound of horses coming, stopped the interlude between the lovers, making them turn away from what their hearts desired. Several men approached and stopped before Grayson and Heather. Glenn was at the head of them and spoke to them.

"We saw the smoke Laird Grayson and came tae investigate what was causing it."

"It was something that needed doing, Glenn. Ye remember what this place was like when we came across it? It could'ne be saved. I was saying tae Lady Heather, that this site should be kept for something of importance, like a memorial of some kind, or something grand."

Grayson's words brought a remembrance of that fateful day, but he didn't let it consume him, as it had before. He nodded his head, as he looked at the dwindling flames. In his heart and mind, the smoke seemed to take away the memories of death and left his soul feeling closure to an abhorrence that affected him.

Grayson helped Heather mount up and then mounted his horse. The group rode back to the castle, Grayson and Heather were in the lead, sharing secret smiles between them. The others saw them, but had no idea what had happened between to two lovers. No matter what the cause or reason for them, it gladdened them to see the dawning of a beautiful love being shared.

Once back in the castle, Grayson took Heather to his arm and they walked into the keep to find Lady Anne. They found her in her chambers, sitting by the fire, polishing her late husband's sword and shield. The metal gleamed brightly, not a spot or streak to mar the finish, as Anne smiled with a look of memorable love in her eyes.

"Mother, we ha'e something tae tell ye." Heather said softly.

Anne could see the happiness on their faces and soon her's matched theirs. "Grayson has asked fer my hand and I've accepted. We're tae be married."

Anne's faced beamed with joy, looking first at the sheer bliss of her daughter, then to her new son-in-law, equally as happy with the news to tell. She laid the sword down gently and came to them, pulling each to her in an affectionate hug. She kissed Heather's cheek and then Grayson's, turning it into a deep, blushing red from her show of love.

"When will ye's marry?" Anne asked them.

"I had'ne thought as far along as that, Lady Anne. I only just asked Heather and felt that could be something tae worry aboot after, I just wanted tae ha'e a yes first, before I ga'e it any thought." Grayson spouted out, showing he had no idea about what to do. "We ha'e tae tell Arabella and Garreth and Therese. I want tae sail back wi' Sorley and Randal and see hoo Garreth is doing noo. I know this is'ne something I want fer oor wedding, but we still ha'e a battle tae prepare fer. In all of my heart, I want nothing tae spoil oor day, but the threats tae all of us remain."

Grayson's reality took some of the moment away, but enough remained that smiles and happiness would rule the day. He turned to Heather and held her.

"I'll go noo and see Sorley and make preparations tae sail. I can'ne wait tae see the looks on they faces when I tell them. I'll come back tae ye and let ye know when we're leaving, gi'e ye some time wi' yer mother tae talk aboot things." Grayson said grinning.

Heather almost laughed, she was so thrilled about him. For all his size and strength, there was a kind, soft heart that lead him and a boyish innocence that she adored. He was all and more, than her heart had hoped for.

"Go now, my love. I'll be here fer ye. Mother and I will pack some clothing and talk while ye are gone. Hurry back tae me though, ye know I'll miss ye."

The look in Heather's eyes held him entranced. He brought her to him and kissed her lovingly, not caring that Anne happily watched their display. He broke away and walked to the door, Anne and Heather seeing the merit of his stride, knowing he was as proud as they were in the union.

Grayson found Sorley and Randal talking with some of the men, playing a game of Mumbly-Peg with a dirk. As the men sat in a circle, they threw the dirk between the feet of the man to his right, causing him to move his right foot up against the blade, narrowing the gap between them. There was little more than eight inches between any of them, as Grayson approached. Randal had the dirk and was preparing to stick it between the feet of Iain MacDonnell. Iain's face was set in fear, hoping Randal would stick it in the ground and not his foot. It was his test of courage to either keep his feet there, or pull them away.

Randal stopped his aim, as he saw Grayson standing there. "I think I hear the soond of a chicken squawking, Grayson. Ye think Iain has the nerve tae let me go one more time?"

Grayson looked at Iain, who then looked at him. Without words, Iain saw the courage in Grayson's eyes assuring him he had it in him to go again. He drew upon it and set his face. Randal looked between the two men, not understanding the bond between them.

"Off ye go, Randal. I think Iain can go another round wi' ye." Grayson told him.

Randal looked a bit perplexed at Grayson's confidence, but turned and took aim again. He looked quickly to Iain's eyes and there was no longer a fear in them, now a look of bravery replacing it. He looked at the spot he wanted to hit and let the dirk go. The blade sliced into the dirt and stuck into it, two inches away from Iain's right foot. He withdrew the dirk, keeping his foot firm on its new spot. He turned to Stephen on his right and he quickly backed his feet away, immediately getting a cackling like chickens from the men, followed by good-natured laughter.

Sorley saw it was his turn to have Iain toss the dirk between his feet and looked at the distance and the six inches between his feet. He looked into Iain's eyes and judged him for his skill.

"Go fer it, Iain. I think ye can do it, or are ye chicken tae?" he told him, seeing his look of confidence and strength Grayson had instilled in him.

Iain drew in his breath and blew it out, steadying himself. He looked at his spot and focused on it, as he took aim. With a quick flick of his wrist and forearm, the dirk spun several times and landed midway between Sorley's feet. Sorley moved his right foot over and left a gap of only three inches between them. Everyone looked at the gap and smiled at Iain, praising him for his skill. None more than Sorley, was happy to see a man prove his abilities and not stab his foot.

Sorley looked at Randal and smiled with a hint of wickedness in his eyes. Before Randal could make a decision, Sorley spun the blade and it stuck between Randal's feet, making him close his right foot against it, leaving less than four inches between them. Randal took the dirk and shifted to turn towards Iain. He looked at the six inches of space and then to Iain, who looked at him without fear in his eyes once more. He focused on the gap and in a flash of steel, it was sticking between Iain's feet. Iain moved his right foot and now had a little more than two inches between them.

He took the blade and held it, judging the narrow gap between Sorley's feet. Sorley looked at Iain and knew he would throw, but felt his feet would take the point. He quickly spread his feet apart, getting the instant cackle of derision and then laughter. It was now up to Randal and Iain to prove who was braver. Randal looked at the gap between his feet and put an emoted air of bravery on his face. Iain steadied himself and took careful aim, knowing in his own heart he had never succeeded in getting this far in a game before.

The blade left his hand and the thunk of metal hitting ground let everyone know he had made it. A rousing cheer went up, as Randal shifted his foot over to the blade and saw only an inch of space left. He took the blade and looked at Iain, sitting defiantly that he would remain steady and not waiver in the face of danger. Randal looked at him and then to the others, waiting for him to decide as to his decision.

"Yer a brave man, Iain MacDonnell. I'll cede tae ye and gi' ye the win."

Randal held his hand out to him and Iain took it and shook his wrist. The men looked at each for a moment, measuring the mettle of one another. The others honoured the bravery shown by both and didn't haze Randal for ceding to Iain. They cheered Iain and clapped his back, making him smile happily.

Grayson let the moment die away, before he made his announcement.

"Men, there's going tae be a wedding and yer all tae attend."

The men looked at him with astonishment, Sorley and Randal unaware of the budding love and Stephen and Iain both smiling, as they were privy to knowing how he felt for Heather. A rousing cheer went up from all the men and they congratulated him.

"I've asked Lady Heather tae marry me and she has said she will. I've left her wi' her mother tae plan oot hoo, but I'll marry her whate'er way she wants. Sorley, we need tae make plans tae sail back tae Tioram. Heather and I ha'e tae tell Arabella, as well as Garreth and Therese. Not tae let the moment overshadow everything, but there's also a battle we must prepare fer, as well."

"Aye Grayson, yer right. We'll see Lady Anne and Heather before we leave and sail immediately. The winds and tides are right the now, so we'll make good time in getting there. Men, the time fer games is o'er, make ready the birlinn and prepare tae leave."

Sorley's men bowed to both Lairds and rushed down to the coast. Grayson, Sorley, and Randal made their way back inside and climbed the stairs to the top floor of the keep. They could hear the joyous laughter, as Heather and her mother talked, coming down the hall to them. The door was open and Grayson knocked at the frame, to announce them.

"Come in Grayson and ye as well, Sorley and Randal. I can'ne begin tae tell ye's all how happy I am. This day has brought more joy tae my heart, than I could imagine." Anne told them, beaming the happiness in her eyes and smile.

12