Blood of the Clans Ch. 30

Story Info
Hand-fasting bonds clans and hearts., Arabella makes peace.
6.2k words
4.85
8.2k
3
Story does not have any tags

Part 30 of the 50 part series

Updated 11/02/2022
Created 08/16/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"If ye'll remember, Garreth has asked Therese and Grayson has just asked Heather. Grayson and Heather, along wi' Sorley and Randal, are sailing back tae Tioram." Stuart reminded everyone, and got nods and "Ayes," in return.

Tom and Deb both looked anxious to hear what Stuart was going to tell them. Stuart looked at them and smiled, then gave them a wink, before starting in.

********************

The birlinn turned to port and sailed into Loch Moidart, the afternoon sun glittering off the water. Grayson and Heather stood at the prow, holding on to each other tightly, smiling happily. Sorley stood at the stern with Randal and looked at them, then turned to his son.

"I hope ye can find a good woman like that tae marry, Randal. I want tae see ye wi' bairns, tae carry on yer name."

"I'll do that soon enough, Da. I ha'e my eye on a couple the noo." Randal divulged to his father, winking and smiling at him.

"Do ye noo? And who might they be?" Sorley queried him, a sly look coming across his face.

"Ye know aboot Siobhan Donahue, but ye don't know aboot the other one and I'm no telling ye." Randal said in mocked defiance to divulge it.

"Are ye talking aboot Rhiannon O'Shea, o'er in Donegal?" Sorley shot back at him.

Randal spun his head around and looked at his father, who was smiling and then chuckling at him, seeing the incredulous look of surprise plastered across Randal's face.

"Yer uncle, Colla told me aboot her. Last time ye went wi' him, he caught ye's two t'gether." Sorley laughed out.

Randal stopped himself from denying it, knowing he was caught and smiled in embarrassment. Sorley threw his arm over his son's shoulder and laughed heartily, as Randal enjoyed being thought of as a lady's man, one who had the gift of looks to make them swoon.

The call of sail went out from the lookout, men immediately arming and taking position. Not an arrow was raised though, as everyone saw Grayson's long, red hair blowing back from his face in the wind, with Heather standing beside him. The birlinn slid up the coral beach and the sail was dropped, while Grayson held onto Heather tightly, as it came to a stop. He jumped down and held his hands to her, to help her down. She bent to him and he took her by the waist, lifting her in a move that seemed effortless, and brought her to the ground gently. Sorley and Randal were still jovial, as they alit beside them.

The MacDonnell men joined the MacDonald men and headed off to where some food and drink were waiting, It took no time for them all to share a mug of ale and enjoy swapping tales. Grayson, with Heather holding his arm, strode up to the castle and entered the courtyard. He saw Robert attending to some men and hailed him.

"Robert!" he shouted and got his attention.

Robert smiled at seeing Grayson and quickly finished what he had to say to the men. He ran over and shook Grayson's wrist, his eyes going between Grayson and Heather, wondering why they were so happy looking.

"Is Arabella in her chambers, Robert?" Grayson asked, as he greeted him.

"Aye, shall I fetch her doon, Laird Grayson?" Robert offered.

"Aye, I ha'e some news tae tell ye's." he told him, then looked out to everyone. "Gather 'roond me, everyone!" Grayson shouted out, his smile getting bigger and Robert knew something of great happiness awaited them.

Robert ran off into the keep and dashed up the steep, stone staircase. He was almost running along the hall to Arabella's chambers, he was getting so excited. He

knocked and waited for an answer. He stood waiting and then knocked again.

"Who is it?" was all Arabella asked.

"It's Robert, M'Lady. Laird Grayson is back wi' Lady Heather and Laird Sorley and his son. He asks that ye come tae the courtyard, he has some news tae tell us all." he told her, smiling at the door.

The door opened and Robert could see that Arabella had been crying, her eyes puffy and red. Robert made no mention of what he thought Arabella was doing and told her again what her brother had requested of her. Arabella nodded and closed the door, so he went down the hall to where Garreth and Therese were. He knocked on the door and was quickly greeted by Garreth.

"Robert, come in." Garreth bade him entry.

"Laird Garreth, Lady Therese, Laird Grayson and Lady Heather ha'e returned and asked fer ye's tae join them in the hall. They ha'e some news they wish tae share wi' us." Robert told them, smiling happily.

Therese rose and came to the door and stood with Garreth, holding him around the waist.

"And we have news for them, as well." Therese added, making Garreth smile broader at the thought of telling his best friend their news.

The three walked down the hall and were just passing Arabella's chambers, when the door opened and she came out. Smiles were quickly placed on mouths, but their eyes held the truth, as to how everyone was feeling. Arabella remained in sadness, after the confidential telling of her feelings for Garreth to Therese, making the silence hang around them like a shroud, as they descended the stairs and entered the hall. Grayson and Heather were laughing and joking with the people that had gathered, sharing a moment of much-needed joviality. Grayson saw Garreth walking with Therese and his heart was instantly filled with relief and happiness at seeing his recovery. He left Heather and walked towards his friend, putting his hands on his shoulders and held Garreth firmly.

"Garreth, my friend. Ye've no idea hoo seeing ye look so well, has brightened my spirits. When I left ye wi' Bella, I was'ne sure if ye would live, or die. But from the looks of ye, yer doing grand. Has it healed well?"

"Grayson, ye should know by noo, it'll take more than an arra tae do me in. Bella took great care of me and I owe my life tae her. So, what's yer news, then?" Garreth asked him, after the two friends hugged in celebration of seeing one another again.

Grayson pulled back and smiled broadly, before going back and joining Heather. He stood beside her and put his arm around her waist, as she did the same with him. When he saw the hall filled with people, he cleared his throat and shouted out to them.

"Everyone, it is my great pleasure tae let ye's know, Lady Heather MacDonnell has accepted my offer of marriage and we're tae be wed."

At first, a stunned silence loomed and then a cheer went up and rose in volume, till the curtain walls rang from the sound. A look of great happiness came across the faces of everyone, as the news brought a great joy to Tioram and the MacDonald's. Garreth's smile was ear to ear wide, as he walked over and hugged his friend once more. Therese quickly joined him and held her hands out to Heather. They had never met, but the sharing of such joy, was one that introduced them.

"I wish you and Laird Grayson every happiness, Lady Heather. I can see you are both very much in love."

"Thank you, M'Lady. We are in love, I've held a place in my heart fer Grayson since I was a young girl and I can'ne begin tae say hoo happy I am, tae be his betrothed. Please forgive me, we hav'ne met. I am Lady Heather MacDonnell of Donan and ye must be Lady Therese, that my love has told me aboot."

"I am, Lady Heather. I am Lady Therese de Mornay de Trecesson. It is a great pleasure to meet you." Therese told her, bowing her head slightly to her.

Garreth and Grayson broke apart and Garreth shouted out to everyone, calming their jubilation. Arabella hugged her brother and smiled affectionately at him, then hugged Heather afterwards, welcoming her to the clan and congratulating her. They held hands and shared a moment of bonding, when Garreth spoke out loudly to everyone.

"Laird Grayson, has gi'en us all great news and my heart could'ne be happier fer the both of them. I hope his heart will be filled wi' as much happiness, when I tell him my news." he shouted out and held his hand out for Therese to take. Therese came to him and Garreth held her to him closely. "Grayson, everyone, it's my honour and privilege tae tell ye's that Lady Therese and I are tae be married as well."

Grayson's face went to a frozen look of complete happiness. He looked at the couple before him and his only thought was to hug them together. Therese was over-whelmed by his strength, but hugged him back as best she could. Grayson released them and Arabella came and congratulated the couple once again.

Arabella stood with a mixture of emotions written across her face. Her heart was filled beyond what it could hold and deal with. Tears streaked down her cheeks, as she tried to look happy for the couple in their moment of happiness. Therese saw her friend struggling and knew her heart was wanting to scream out the turmoil it was in. She took hold of Arabella's hands, clutching onto a handkerchief tightly and felt her pain. Heather turned and saw the strain on Arabella's face and became worried for her as well.

Grayson and the others were finishing their congratulations to Garreth, when he noticed Heather had left his side. He saw that they were comforting Arabella and started to ask what the matter was. Garreth stopped him, before he could say anything and moved in close to whisper.

"Let her be Grayson. It's a matter of the heart that ye don't know aboot and it's best ye did'ne. Let them see tae Bella and we'll go ha'e a drink of cheer tae celebrate."

Grayson looked at Arabella with worry for her, but heeded Garreth's request. They headed into the keep, with Garreth inviting the men in for a drink to celebrate. Grayson looked back at Arabella, Therese and Heather, causing Garreth do the same. They stopped and looked at the three women, as they looked at them. A moment passed between them all, before they silently bade him to leave, then Grayson hesitantly turned and the two men went over to the table being prepared for them.

Robert had a keg of whisky brought in and tapped a wooden spigot into the opening, making it ready to pour. Two silver cups adorned with the MacDonald crest, sat ready for the two Lairds, while twelve plain, silver cups were lined up for the men. Grayson and Garreth entered the hall to rousing cheers and soon the feelings of discomfort were given way to joyous celebration once again.

They took the two clan cups, while Sorley and Randal took the first two plain ones. All of Sorley's men took a cup after them, then Robert, Gleason and Gordon MacDonald took the last cups, everyone filling them to their liking. In a salute, every cup was touched by all and wishes of a warm night under the robes with their brides, was wished heartily by all.

Outside, Therese and Heather stayed with Arabella and had her join them for a walk. Therese knew what ate at Arabella's heart, but Heather was completely unaware of what had transpired just days before.

"I'll be alright, Therese and Heather, I will. It was just everything that's happened, took me o'er and I was at a loss tae control myself. I'm alright noo." she told them, doing her best to get herself together again.

"My dear sister, it pains my heart to know you have so much sadness to carry. How can I help take it away?" Therese pled with her, knowing the root cause of it, was her love for Garreth.

"Arabella, what is causing yer sadness? I am tae be yer new sister and I want tae bring a joy tae yer heart as well." Heather asked, right after Therese.

Arabella stopped and looked at both of them, concern written on both their faces and knew she had to say something to Heather to explain. She started walking again and explained everything about Braedon Stewart to Heather, hoping it would suffice as an adequate explanation. By the time she finished telling them of how she watched him sail away while looking at her, the two women were becoming equally as heart-broken as Arabella.

"Gi'e him time, Arabella, ye ne'er know what time will do fer his heart. He may just need the time tae collect it and sort oot his feelings fer ye." Heather said in comfort.

"I wish that were true, Heather. I'd like my heart tae believe that. It may still come tae pass, but hearing that yer both getting married, put my heart tae sadness, knowing that is what I was hoping fer wi' Braedon. I'm awfy sorry fer spoiling yer moment, both of ye's" Arabella confessed to them.

Therese held onto Arabella a little tighter, not wanting to say anything to ruin the cover story to Heather. The three continued walking past Cul Dorlinn and along the shoreline of River Shiel, the mid-day sun shining down on them and sparkling on the rippled waters. Arabella knew she had to get over her love for Garreth and accept that he loved Therese. She also knew she had to keep her strength and wits for the battle to come and not let it interfere with her duties as a Chieftess. Hundreds of lives were held with her command and she had to lead them with strength and surety, that she didn't make a mistake in her decision.

Arabella saw where they had walked to and stood looking at the same spot she had first seen Garreth naked. Before she let her mind go there, she quickly stopped and turned to go back. Heather and Therese had no idea what made her suddenly turn around, but followed her and waited for her to tell them what had made her do that. Arabella falsely smiled and said she was in need of relieving herself, hoping that was enough to satisfy her friends' curiosities.

By the time they had made their way back and walked over the causeway to dry land, Arabella was calmer and able to hide her feelings. They went around to the gate and into the courtyard. The sounds of merriment and laughter were echoing out of the keep, as they went in and entered the hall. As soon as they were spotted, a rousing cheer went up for them. Arabella forced a smile onto her face and stayed where she was. The other two were taken by the display and went towards their mates, both being held tightly to them. More whisky was poured and celebrations and cheer became the order of the day. The two women looked at Arabella, hoping she would return after relieving herself and joining them in the festivities.

Arabella quietly turned and went back to the courtyard, not feeling up to the revelry happening inside. She watched with half-interest, as a dog barked wildly, chasing a cat around in front of her. She saw the dog catching up to the cat and then it suddenly stopped, as if commanded to. She hadn't heard anything, but soon saw an old man coming out of the stables, looking at the dog. The man came to the now-sitting dog and patted it on its head, speaking softly to it. In a moment, the cat came over and sat next to the old man, rubbing up against his leg. Arabella stopped, astounded by what she saw and then turned away, shaking her head and smiling to herself.

As the festive mood went on, Heather turned to Therese and asked when they were

getting married. Therese looked at Garreth for a moment and realized no day had been set or how it would be done.

"We have not decided on a day yet, but I fear the war is near and there is no time to prepare for a proper wedding. Have you and Grayson decided on a day?"

Heather shook her head, but thought about the situation they were both in. She knew a proper wedding was needed for the bonding of two clans like her's and Grayson's, but the impending battle did present a problem of deciding when. She pondered for a moment more and told Therese of a solution.

"Do they practice Hand-fasting in France, Therese?"

Therese thought for a moment. "I have heard of it, but I do not know how it is done."

"A contract is made between the tae families and a ceremony is performed by a chief of the clan or a Holy man. It lasts fer one year and a day and allows the couple tae live together fer that time, then decide if they want tae marry or part their ways. It would allow us the privilege of being wi' oor men, before they go tae battle."

Heather's explanation took hold in Therese's mind, as she thought of what her heart wanted to enjoy and the threat of battle taking it away. A question arose as she thought.

"I am the head of my family and Garreth is the head of his, how can this befit us then?"

"It could be done by my mother, the same time she performs the ceremony fer Grayson and I. We can have a double ceremony."

Therese thought about it and looked at Garreth, talking merrily with Grayson and Sorley and a couple of other men. She wanted nothing more than to be with him, knowing in her heart they could never plan a wedding and have her guests, as well as his, assembled in time. The idea had great appeal to her, but the thought that she had no relatives left to invite, other than her beloved staff, made her realize these people were her new family. She would now have Arabella and Heather akin as sisters and Grayson like a brother, as well as hundreds of their kin. She knew so little of Garreth's siblings and started to realize how great her new family might actually be.

"I would like for that to happen. How soon could it be arranged?"

Heather saw the excited look in Therese's eyes and knew she wanted what she did, to share the joys of love with their men. She held equal excitement in her own eyes, growing more as they talked about the idea.

"It could be done as soon as we want. I think in a week hence, we could ha'e a ceremony. Where should we ha'e it, Therese?"

"I do not know, Heather. I must talk with Garreth and ask for his blessing to do this and hope he agrees to it."

"I agree. Let's take oor men aside and talk wi' them aboot it. I think they've had enough of the drink fer noo, from the looks of it." Heather said, as she looked at the cups of whisky being poured and the number of cups they had quaffed down already.

The two women went and stood in front of their respective others and took hold of their hands. The glazed look of intoxication was full on their faces, but they still had enough of their wits about them. Heather smiled as she looked into Grayson's paling, blue eyes, knowing he deserved this time to enjoy as much as wanted.

"Come and walk wi' Therese and I, Grayson. We need tae talk t'gether." Heather told him, looking into his eyes and asking with hers as well.

Grayson looked at her and then to Therese and Garreth, who was being asked the same thing. Garreth looked at Grayson and he looked back at him. They smiled at each other, a silly, drunken look on each of their faces and in joint consent, nodded to the women in reply.

Aye, lesh go then." he told Heather softly, then louder, "Ev'ryone, Garreth and I mus' part wi' ye's fer a bit. Enjoy the drink and we'll soon return." his speech becoming slurred from the drink.

The cheers and wishes for a quick return were shouted out, as Grayson took Heather's hand to his arm and Garreth did the same with Therese and the couples left the hall of the keep. They walked into the courtyard and then through the gateway, turning right and walking amongst the fresh sprigs of heather and wildflowers that grew freely on the eilean. They walked over the sandy causeway and soon the talk of Hand-fasting began in earnest.

They had barely made it to Cul Dorlinn, when Garreth announced it should be done at Dunvegan. He reasoned it was safer to do it there, as there was no threat of battle happening. Birlinns could bring everyone and there were more than enough rooms to house the guests for the celebration. Grayson agreed immediately, his own oath to protect Heather from harm guiding his decision. The women were happy, no matter where it took place and they accepted the location and the reasoning immediately.

"We'll ha'e tae send a few birlinns tae Donan and collect everyone from there. Maybe we should go Grayson and bring my mother and the others, while ye and Therese make fer Dunvegan ahead of us." Heather suggested to Grayson.

"I have nothing that I can wear, only this. I would be ashamed to wear it for such an occasion. I must find a new dress to wear. Since my forced departure from France, I have only had this green riding dress to wear. I do not have the time to sail back to France and return with a proper dress."

12