Blood of the Clans Ch. 34

Story Info
Arrangements are made for the ceremony with Lady Anne.
2.7k words
4.82
8.9k
5

Part 34 of the 50 part series

Updated 11/02/2022
Created 08/16/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Argus finished telling about Sloan and Kyla and sat down again, The hall remained quiet, as the guests understood now why Braedon came to see Arabella again.

"Argus, noo that was a nice telling ye ga'e." Peter MacLeod spoke out finally.

"Aye, I was'ne expecting ye tae telling such a nice tale of love." Mary MacLeod agreed.

Argus stood and smiled and took a short bow and passed the floor to Stuart again, before sitting down.

"Noo that ye's know why Braedon was coming tae Tioram, I think we need tae get back tae Therese and Heather going tae Donan and Garreth and Grayson coming up tae here."

"Aye, Stuart. I think everyone is waiting tae know aboot the Hand-fasting ceremony. I know Tom and Deb are, aren't ye's? Taylor spoke out.

"Yes we are, Taylor. Come on Uncle Stuart, finish telling us about the ceremony." Deb replied, getting anxious to know what happened.

"Alright then, Argus, finish up tae that point and I'll take o'er. Do ye remember where I left off?" Stuart asked him and thought for a moment. "Aye, I've got it." he said and sipped a bit of water and cleared his throat.

************************

The birlinn pulled against the shore and men jumped out and held it fast, as Heather and Therese were helped out and on to firm ground again. Their friendship seemed immediate, as they walked hand in hand along the path and into the castle. Lady Anne was standing in the doorway of the keep, ready to welcome her daughter home again. She saw her daughter and a strange woman holding hands and wondered who she was. Heather came up to her mother and hugged her tightly, before she turned and introduced Therese to her.

"Mother, this is Lady Therese de Mornay de Trecesson. Laird Garreth and Lady Therese ha'e agreed tae be hand-fasted. It's agreed tae be done at Dunvegan, fer safety sake and we'd like ye tae perform the ceremony fer us both, if Lady Julia MacLeod isn't able tae join her son and Therese." Heather blurted out joyously.

"That's wonderful news, Heather. And ye and Garreth are tae be joined as well, Lady Therese?" Anne asked her.

"Yes, Lady Anne. I want to be with Garreth, but the battle that is coming, means we can not plan for a wedding. Heather told me of this ceremony that you do here and it sounds wonderful. I would be greatly honoured if you performed it for us." Therese told her, the feelings for Garreth clearly displayed in her words.

"I would be more than happy to do that fer ye, Therese. Please, call me Anne, we're all Ladies after all." Anne said with endearment to her.

"I shall, if you call me Therese." she smiled to her happily.

Therese was finding more reasons to smile as the day passed. The dire events of the last few days were vanishing and being replaced with her desired wishes, as Anne and Heather made her trials faced a thing of the past.

"Mother, we need tae ha'e dresses made fer the ceremony. It'll be in a week hence and we need to get started, if they're tae be done in time." Heather informed her.

"I'll ha'e the seamstresses bring bolts of material tae chose from. I'll make sure they're both ready in time. Do ye ha'e any idea what ye's are wanting? she asked them both.

"Aye, we sat and talked most of the night aboot them. I just hope we can find what we re looking fer." Heather told her, showing concern that their choices might have to be changed.

"We need tae find something fer Therese tae wear the noo though. She's been in her dress fer days and it's in need of washing and mending. After we're finished oor tea, I want tae take her up tae my room and find her something tae wear." Heather said, holding Therese's hand in her own and showing the bond of friendship between them.

"Aye, that's a good idea, Heather. I was wondering why a lady would be looking in such a state as she's in." Anne responded with mirth, knowing why Therese looked the way she did.

"I must apologize for my appearance, I wasn't given a chance to pack anything." Therese quipped. "I have so many nice clothes back in France, but there is no time to sail there and back before the ceremony. I am indebted to you both for your kindness." Therese told them sincerely.

"No tae worry, Therese. Heather has some fine dresses ye can wear, or I may have something ye like." Anne told her, with a bit more sympathy for her condition.

"I am so very happy. I once thought I would never have any friends, but now I have Arabella and now you and Heather to call as such. I have never been treated to such a kindness as this." Therese told them and they could see the tears of joy welling in her eyes.

"Och aye, Therese, we're yer friends. More so, yer joining wi' a clan we hold dear tae us. Ye'll be like family tae us when ye do." Anne told her, offering her handkerchief to her. Therese dabbed away the tears and looked at Anne and Heather smiling joyfully.

Heather and Anne both took a hand each and looked at Therese.

"Ye'll always be welcomed here as family, Therese." Heather told her.

Therese's tears started to flow again, hearing such heart-felt words expressed to her.

"And you will be welcomed at Trecesson, as the same." she told them, then hugged them both to her.

Once they let go, Heather led Therese to her room, taking their teas with them. Anne went in search of the seamstresses to send up to them and found the joy out-weighing the grief in her life. A smile played on her face, as she thought about performing the ceremony for Heather and Grayson, as well as Garreth and Therese. She liked the young, French lady immediately and was taken with her beauty and manners.

Garreth and Grayson felt the gravel shore scrape against the hull, as they landed in Dunvegan. Peadair was at the head of the seawall passage awaiting them and news of the battle. He looked at his older brother and Grayson, as they approached and was curious of their smiles and laughter.

"Peadair, ha'e the men clean the grounds and the castle, we'll be ha'ing two joinings." Garreth told him as he approached, then hugged him and held his arms tight as he announced his news.

"I'm joining wi' Lady Therese de Mornay de Trecesson and Grayson is joining wi' Lady Heather MacDonnell. They'll be coming here in a week hence, so this place not only has tae be clean, it has tae be festive fer the occasion, as well."

"Ye found the right one, ha'e ye, Garreth? Ye know, I always thought ye'd end up wi' Arabella, but I can'ne wait tae see what one has taken yer heart. She must be something fer ye tae just meet her and want tae join wi' her so soon." Peadair prodded him, knowing she must be a prize to behold.

"Peadair, ye've no idea what a beauty she is. Hair as dark as midnight, eyes as green as Bella's, maybe greener, skin that looks like fine, white silk, lips like two juicy, red ....." Grayson started to describe in detail, but was cut off by Garreth.

"Ye just mind aboot Heather, she's got yer attention alright. Ye've been smitten wi' her looks and don't ye deny it. I seen ye at Tioram looking her up and doon and staring at her fine bosom. Shall we discuss how they look? I know I ga'e them a look or two. When ye's were oot dancing, it was'ne hard tae notice hoo nice they looked. I'll tell ye Peadair, Grayson's got his hands full wi' her." Garreth blurted out, catching Grayson with the truth of his attentions.

Peadair laughed loudly at both of them, as they were clearly in love with the women they were going to join with. He congratulated both of them and went into the castle to round up some men to start the clean up.

Garreth and Grayson stood in the courtyard by the battlement wall and looked at each other. Once again, they were sharing another milestone in their lives together. Two decades had seen many changes in their lives from children to men.

"God has blessed us my friend. Since we first met, we've been gi'en the joy of good friendship, learned and fought as young men side by side. We were there fer each other when we lost oor fathers, both of us taking o'er as chief of oor clans. We fought foes t'gether and kept a peace fer us. Noo, here we are joining wi' ladies and setting course fer the next part of oor lives. Yet, oot of it all, I could'ne ask fer a better man tae call my friend, than ye, Grayson." "Ye as well, Garreth. I've always felt more like a brother tae ye, than just a friend. I've known since we were just wee bastards, we'd go through life together and learn what tae do and what not tae. No matter what, I always knew ye'd be there tae watch my back and I would always watch o'er yer's. Noo, we'll ha'e oor own families tae raise and watch o'er as well. Hoo will ye and Therese manage between here and France? Ha'e ye thought of that yet?" Grayson asked, wondering in part how it would affect their friendship.

"I've gi'en it some pondering, Grayson and here's what I think. See hoo nice it is noo in the season? It's no much worse than this in the winter, where Therese lives. When the season grows cold here, I can sail tae France wi' Therese and live in Trecesson. She's told me of beautiful places we can go riding and sailing to. When it gets too cold fer ye's here, ye'll ha'e tae join us and enjoy some time wi' us. I know Therese is fond of ye already, Grayson. She talks of ye like the brother she ne'er had. Ye know the bond Arabella and her ha'e already and she's told me how fond of Heather she is. They're together planning all this now and I'm just as happy they are. I'll do what I can tae make it look presentable, but ye've got tae put yer own part in as well. I'm getting the pipers tae play something just fer the occasion. I know ye'll want Gregor tae play as well, so we'll let them do something together. I'll ha'e fresh juniper put aboot the place and some heath as well. Do ye know what the MacDonnell's plant is, Grayson?" Garreth finished his long-winded answer and drew a breath.

Grayson laughed at him, seeing how involved he was getting, despite his objections to doing it earlier.

"Aye, it's the same as mine. So lots of healh tae make us happy then." Grayson chuckled out. "I'll be wearing my best on the day, as well. Bella has a new kilt being made fer me, as well as some fancy new shoes she's told me aboot. I'll be wearing my new belt and sash that I just ha'e made fer my new sword. The blades arrived from Germany three weeks past. They make a fine blade of good steel. I know one thing ye better make sure ye ha'e plenty of, is yer drink. I ha' e five casks of oors and five of yer's should be more than enough tae gi' each man a good taste of each." Grayson told Garreth of his own news, but glossed it over in an attempt to diffuse it.

"Blades? Ye bought more than one? Are ye fighting wi' two blades noo?" Garreth asked, picking up on the one thing that interested him the most out of what was said.

"Aye, I had two made. There's no sense in keeping it a secret from ye anymore. I had one made fer ye, Garreth. I was waiting fer a good moment tae gi' it tae ye and I can'ne think of a better one, than yer joining wi' Therese. The tanners are making ye a belt and sash as well. I think ye'll look grand in yer finest, wi' yer new sword at yer side." Grayson told him, a broad smile stretching across his face.

"Ye had a blade made fer me? When did ye put the order oot tae ha'e them made?" Garreth asked his friend, a smile growing on his face.

"Do ye remember when we were in Glasgow? We sailed up the Clyde tae see aboot they cannon. Do ye remember? I left ye fer a wee bit and took care of a few things and I went tae see the cutler and ordered them then. A rider came wi' them the day before Therese arrived. I've had tae keep ye from finding oot aboot them since then. Come Garreth, I hope ye like it." Grayson told him, as he led Garreth into the castle.

*************************

Argus finished off and took a deep breath. He looked at everyone sitting contently listening to him and smiled.

"There ye's go. Noo ye know why Braedon was coming back tae see Arabella. I'll take a seat if ye don't mind. Telling the tale can wear a body oot. I'm sure Stuart has a fair bit tae say noo aboot the joining, so I'll gi' ye's o'er tae him. Tom and Deb, ye'll finally get tae hear aboot the ceremony and how it was done noo." Argus told the couple, who's faces turned up a few notches in excitement upon hearing they would know what happened.

Stuart looked at Argus smiling, happy that he had learned to turn down the drama in how he told the history of what happened. He was still feeling anxious to know what Argus had to tell him and wondered what part of history he was waiting for to finally divulge it. He smiled to himself and figured he would know soon enough, when Argus felt he had reached the right point in time.

Taylor MacLeod spoke out before Stuart could start and asked him about something he had heard in Argus' telling.

"Stuart, Argus was saying that Grayson had a sword made fer Garreth. Has that sword survived?"

"Aye Taylor. It's oot in the hall. It's mounted behind Garreth's targe. My great-grandmother, Dame Flora, had the swords restored at the turn of the last century." Stuart told him, pointing to the area where they were hung.

Taylor excused himself and went into the hall to where Stuart had pointed. There between William's targe and Claymore and Rory Mor's targe and sword, was Garreth's sword behind his leather bound targe. He studied the filigree basket of the handle and the blade's craftsmanship, imagining Garreth wearing it on his day with Therese. Peter and Tom joined him shortly to admire the intricate weaving of metal to make the basket against the Claymore's shear might in steel.

"I think my arm would fall off trying to swing either of those swords in a battle." Taylor said to them.

"No kidding, look at the Claymore. It's huge. The thing must weigh a ton." Tom replied with his own opinion of them.

"I like how they weaved the metal like that and made the crest. They did amazing work. Too bad we can't have those to wear around today. I'd love to own a sword like that." Peter said, showing his admiration with exuberance.

"Takes a big man to wield a sword like that. Their arms must have been massive, having to swing these around the way they did. The closest I come, is swinging my tennis racket and that wears me out." Taylor said, laughing heartily and causing the others to join in.

The trio re-entered the dining hall again and quietly made their way to their seats, as Stuart was telling of how Dunvegan had been decorated in tartans and crests, as well as flowers that were blooming. Guests were arriving and soon the castle would be alive with the joy and celebration of the occasion.