Blood of the Clans Ch. 36

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"We ha'e many good men who can sail a birlinn intae battle. I'll ha'e mine join wi' yer's and show ye hoo. Hoo many birlinns did ye capture from them?" she asked, curious to know how their ability to wage a sea battle had improved.

"I ha'e six birlinn that Laird Braedon watches o'er and two still hidden on oor tiny island that we've used tae hide them on. I'll need tae sail wi' more men tae bring them tae Stalker, or should we bring them here?" Sloan asked, not sure of where they would be staging from.

"With the closeness of the enemy tae Stalker, it'll be safer bringing them here, don't ye agree, Braedon?" she replied, considering the events and the safety of all concerned.

"Aye Arabella. I'm completed surrounded by them and any movement will be seen by them. We fought off an attempt on oor way here last night. My fears are an attack by them at any time, so I ha'e my men standing ready in case of an attack and hope they can hold them off. Wi' the numbers Sloan has told me they ha'e, we stand short against them." Braedon told her, his fears of battle clear on his face.

"Not tae worry, Braedon. We ha'e more men coming that MacRae or the others don'ne know of. The MacDonnell's of Antrim ha'e come tae oor aid and are raising an army of their own tae join us. Sorley has pledged his support tae oor cause and we expect his men any day noo." she told him with a slight smile, giving a much needed bit of news to calm his fears.

"Hoo many men does he say he can raise fer battle?" he asked, hoping the numbers gave rise to an even fight.

"Sorley has said they are hoping tae raise an army of three hundred, as well as siege equipment and birlinns. Wi' their help, along wi' the MacLeod's and MacDonnell's, we'll be close tae a thousand strong. Wi' every man armed and ready fer battle, along wi' cannons, oor chances of beating them has improved. I ha'e every man roused tae come and fight and are being trained as we speak. We'll bring yer men here, Sloan and they can be trained in sea battle along wi' mine. The better we are at everything, the better oor chances of beating them. I owe a great deal of thanks tae ye, Sloan Fraser fer warning us. Ye and yer clan are welcome here tae be safe wi' us. We'll make a place fer ye's as comfortable as we can, under the circumstances." Arabella told him, as she took his hands in hers in friendship.

Braedon stood, hoping Arabella would thank him and accept him again, as well. He waited anxiously, looking at her and waiting for her to turn to him.

"Robert, take Sloan down and ha'e food and drink prepared for them. See tae making rooms fer his people tae stay in when they come." she told him.

"Lady Arabella, I ha'e twenty horses that Laird Braedon has stabled wi' his, but if I bring them here, will ye ha'e room fer them as well?" Sloan asked, as he rose to leave.

"Aye Sloan, no tae worry. We ha'e stables close by that can house them." she said smiling.

"One last request I must ask, but not fer myself, Lady Arabella." Sloan asked rather shyly.

"What is it, Sloan?" she responded, a curiosity growing in the way he spoke.

"It's Kyla Fraser I ask fer. It was her family on Lismore that was slaughtered and noo that they're homeless, I ask that she be gi'en a change of dress and a place tae bathe herself. She's only seventeen and noo faces a life on her own wi'oot a roof o'er her head." Sloan asked her, a show of compassion coming across clearly to her.

"Aye Sloan, she'll be gi'en that wi'oot question. The poor wee thing must be feeling horrible." Arabella told him, her hand gently resting on Sloan's arm.

Braedon's worries of Arabella scorning him started to ease at seeing her softer side come out.

"I'll be down later to see hoo things are coming along, bur fer noo, I'd like tae speak wi' Braedon in private." Arabella told both Robert and Sloan, her face still showing an expression of kindness.

The moment the two closed the door behind them, Arabella spun towards Braedon, her face changed completely to one of pain and anger.

"Why Braedon? Why did ye go and leave me? I offered my heart tae ye and wanted tae ease yer pain, but ye scorned me and ne'er sent any word. I've waited patiently fer ye,

hoping tae hear word ye still wanted me. It's been weeks and no a word has been sent or spoken tae me. Do ye not favour me anymore, Braedon?" Arabella's face was a total mix of her emotions, but her fears of rejection stood out more in her eyes.

"Bella, hoo can I begin tae apologize tae ye? I hav'ne spoken because I feared ye despised me." Braedon blurted out.

"Why would I despise ye, Braedon?" her face showing confusion in her upset state.

"I ga'e my allegiance tae aid ye and then ye lost sixteen men tae my son's foolishness. I feel I failed ye and left in shame and disgrace." he confessed, his soul feeling the weight lift and took a deep breath.

"Braedon, no. Ye hav'ne failed me. Wi'oot yer aid, we could'ne ha'e won the first battle. I felt... so did Grayson, that we let ye down. Grayson still suffers greatly in his heart aboot it, so do I. He made an oath tae safeguard yer boys and we failed ye. I could see the pain in yer eyes when ye left and ha'e felt it in my heart, that it was me that caused it." she told him, her face crumbling to tears by the time she finished speaking.

"Bella, my sweet Bella, no, ne'er. I hold my son, Cameron tae blame fer the losses. Once Coll explained hoo it happened, the losses were mine tae place the blame on. It's me that is tae be shamed by this, no ye, dear lady." Braedon told her, touching her at last.

Arabella felt his hands holding her arms gently and fell into him, wrapping her arms around his body and burying her face into his chest, her tears and sobs coming harder. Braedon lovingly wrapped his arms around her and held her to him, enjoying the closeness once again. They stood and held each other, feeling their guilt wash away and leave them whole once again. Arabella recovered herself and pulled her handkerchief from the sleeve of her dress and dabbed at her eyes and nose, sniffing to clear her self. Braedon sniffled as well and wiped his eyes as they parted and looked into each other's eyes. Two smiles grew as they came to each other again, this time their lips joining and rejoining their love.

12