Blood of the Clans Ch. 42

Story Info
War is waged, bodies drop and alliances shift again.
8.9k words
4.9
8.5k
4
Story does not have any tags

Part 42 of the 50 part series

Updated 11/02/2022
Created 08/16/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Tavish did his best to accept the reality of the events that had transpired in centuries past and agreed Garreth and Arabella had produced a child together. Tom looked at Argus and then to his uncle, before speaking.

"Uncle Stuart, does this mean that you and Argus are related then?"

"So it would seem, Tom. I'll ha'e tae go through the lineage wi' him and see where he fits in, but it does look like we are a blood relation from the same heritage." Stuart told him, smiling at Argus.

"So, is it okay to get back to the story and see how everything turned out. I mean, I know how everything turned out, just all the interesting things that you all know about." Deb asked, hoping the telling wouldn't end because of the news.

"No tae worry, Deb, although I do think a wee toast in celebration is in order, tae welcome Argus tae the clan. Gordon, please pour everyone a glass and by all means, include yerself." he assured her and smiled to everyone.

Gordon quickly poured and served seven, small, dram glasses and waited with his for Stuart to speak.

"On this day, I wish tae welcome Argus Brandon Stewart tae the fold of the MacLeod's. From here on in, he shall be granted all privileges of a MacLeod and wear the tartans of the clan with pride. His name will be added to the lineage and bear his heritage. It is my honour and privilege tae now recognize and welcome, Argus Stewart - MacLeod. Tae Argus, Slainte." he toasted to him.

Everyone cheered him and drank back the golden nectar, shouting "Dram bu Idich", then Deb still shivered violently at it going down, making everyone laugh at her mild discomfort.

"Shall we get back tae the task at hand now and let these two know their history, or do ye ha'e more surprises tae spring on us, Argus?" Stuart said laughing, but his face showed a hint of worry he didn't feel completely at ease yet.

Argus shook his head and waved Stuart off to tell the story, but in his mind, he knew he and Stuart had unfinished business, that would leave his new relative feeling more unsettled.

"Tavish, ye know more about what happened at Tioram once they all returned and the events that followed, so why don't ye take it from there." Stuart asked him and could see his spirit hadn't returned yet.

Tavish cleared his throat after downing another quick drink and thought for a moment, before he leaned back in his club chair and got comfortable.

"It was quite chaotic at Tioram. Ye've seen how big the island is and the surrounding area, so ye know how packed it must ha'e been wi' hundreds of men and animals. Kyla's brothers and all the Fraser's horses had been brought there, but the Fraser men stayed tae protect Stalker from attack. Sloan and the other leaders, Grayson, Garreth, Braedon and Glenn, went out on horseback and rode along the River Shiel, looking fer areas tae use Sloan's idea of pits wi' spikes and any other means of defence they could think of."

************************

The five riders rode slowly along the river's edge, surveying the land where attacking forces would have to cross open areas of land. The mouth of the river, where the shallowest crossing was, afforded horses a place to cross and then make their way to the castle. Looking to the surrounding trees, they discussed where to position men and where to dig, so the riders would have little, or no choice but ride into them, or be taken out by arrows. They marked the area with piles of rocks where pits should be dug and mounted again. The group rode on and saw that a great vantage point of ambush lay at the small bridge crossing the river.

There was no chance of getting men and horses, let alone artillery across, in an

efficient manner. They would have to split their forces and have the men cross at the bridge, while the cavalry crossed at the rapids. This gave them a decisive weakness to use against them. The trees provided ample coverage for hiding men in and the bush was thick and dense, that men could hide under it close by for a surprise attack. The dense growth in the forest could hide a hundred men lying in wait on both sides of the river, blocking off a retreat and ensnaring them in a gauntlet.

Any that made it across and tried to make it towards the castle, would find another series of pits to avoid and even more men waiting. The riders headed on to Salen Bay, where any arrival of troops by sea would come in. Grayson looked down the coast to the sea and made plans to have clan in the area keep watch for any boats or men arriving. They rode back to Tioram, the thoughts of its defence well established that they were secure.

High on the ridge of mountainous hills above them, a small band of men watched them carefully, studying everything they did. Captain George Montrose of Edinburgh led the band of MacRae men back to their camp, high up near Ben Laga by Loch Nr, taking time to write in his journal everything he saw the MacDonald's doing. Anything they planned, he would have a counter to it without them knowing. He smiled to himself, feeling he would be the turning point in the battle and make an statement worth advancement in his career.

At Dunollie Castle, two well-armoured soldiers stood in front of the combined armies of MacDougall and Douglas clansmen, looking at them carefully and judging them for their worth. MacRae stood with them and wore a self-assured smile his new captains would be pleased to lead his men. Douglas Wallace had come through on his word and provided him with three well-trained leaders. All three had been in several battles each and had led men into victories. His hopes were they would do the same this time, too. He hand-picked his scout force himself from his own clan, as well as the others. Captain Montrose had served on land and sea, granting him the task of leading the advance team.

They would provide him with the intelligence gathered from their mission and make the four mile march to Tioram quick, avoiding traps that might be set. The time spent training the men had paid off and both clans had put forth an army of soldiers the new captains were surveying with interest. For all their lack of proper soldiering, the men followed commands quickly and accurately, They were practising fight moves with their swords and lances, while another group was practising attacks on birlinns. The men were divided by their abilities to sail, ride and shoot arrows. Every man was trained in armed combat, as well as tactics in their chosen field. Stockpiles of arrows were made by the women and elderly, while the children gathered branches and feathers for the arrows and wood to build fires, hot enough to melt metal for the tips.

Long shafts, eight feet long, were whittled at the tip into sharp points. Lances to charge with and disrupt the front lines, before drawing swords and axes to work through the ranks. They would also use them on the rider's horses and gore the chests of the first ones, stopping the charge and causing the ones behind to crash into them and end the chance to penetrate the lines.

James stood proudly on the castle grounds, assuring himself that he was prepared to do battle and win. Andrew came and stood beside him, looking at his clansmen and knew MacRae's decision to replace him with Captain Graham Adamson was the right one. The captain had Andrew's men drilling and training like the King's soldiers and he knew in his heart, he could never have done what a trained soldier like the captain had done.

James cast his eyes towards the Douglas encampment and wondered to himself how

Kirklan was holding up. He wasn't sure why he spared the young man's life, but to do it

twice, made him spend a moment to ponder the thought. The x he made on his chest, would either be a reminder to know his place, or instill a vengeance in him that wouldn't end, until he himself made it end. He hoped he wouldn't have to, he liked the boy's spirit and tenacity, but he wouldn't hesitate to bury his skean in his heart should he try to come at him again.

"Malcolm, yer men are looking good. They'll do well in the fight. They listen tae Adamson and do as he says and that'll make the difference in winning or losing." he said, patting the younger man on the shoulder.

"I agree, James. They've ne'er looked so battle ready before, e'en wi' my brothers leading them." he replied smiling."I can't wait tae see MacDonald's face when he sees this army coming up the Shiel tae Tioram. If they have any sense, they'll surrender and leave wi'oot a fight, or else die where they stand." he gloated, feeling a sense of power from the sight.

"Ye don't understand, Malcolm. I don't want them tae leave. I want them all dead. I don't want a MacDonald left tae raise a sword against me, or my clans. If they stand wi' MacDonald, they die wi' MacDonald. When this is o'er, there'll be a new power in the highlands, me. When I'm done, I'll control the entire coast and islands of the highlands. Any clan that opposes me, will be erased from the land. I'll fight fer King and country, but it'll be my country he rules. Now do ye understand, Malcolm?" he spoke, with an authority the younger man submitted to.

The bravado left Malcolm and replaced it with a new sense of place. One that served the man beside him. He began to understand how he would be a puppet chieftain to him, doing his bidding. He no longer felt the sense of control he just had and bowed his head in submission, then nodded he understood.

"That's a lad." he said and patted his back, before walking towards Adamson to go over the plans.

Malcolm stood with little of the pride he once had, then turned to go into the castle and begin his life of servitude. Dunollie might be held by the MacDougall's, but it was ruled by James MacRae.

Stalker was on high alert for attack night and day, as Braedon's birlinn made shore. Climbing down, he greeted his two sons and Foster and his son Loman. His first concern was answered before he asked.

"Stalker is secure and men are stationed tae the north and south of us. We ha'e e'ery man armed and ready tae fight. The Fraser's ha'e been most gracious tae ride as far north and south as they can, tae see what MacRae and his men are doing. They should be back the morrow wi' news. They're good fighters, Braedon. They know a great many tactics, some a bit brutal from what I heard." Foster told him.

"Aye, Foster. I was just listening tae Sloan describe a few of his plans fer defence around Tioram. Speaking of Tioram, I ha'e news. Arabella has taken me back and we're tae be wed."

"Braedon, great news that ye've brung. I could see it in yer eyes that yer weight was lifted, now I know why." Foster joked.

"I'm very happy fer ye, Father. I know Lady Arabella will make ye a fine wife." Coll told him, and held his hand to him.

Braedon looked at him and smiled happily, before taking his hand and pulling him into a hug.

"Will ye be just as happy if we ha'e another child t'gether?" he asked his son, and saw the look on his face.

"Only if it's a brother. I want tae show him how tae fight wi' a sword and sail the lochs, play the games that Cameron played wi' me." he said, surprising him,

"It makes my heart glad tae hear ye say that son. How about ye, Ewan? Alright if ye get another brother?" he asked his youngest.

"Aye, Da. That way I won't be the wee one and always get picked on." he blurted out and everyone found a moment to laugh, before heading into the castle to discuss more serious matters.

From this point on, every clan was preparing fer battle. Therese and Anne went tae France and Julia and Heather went tae Ireland tae Dunluce. Donan, Tioram and Knock were all prepared fer attack. One event that did turn the tide in the MacDonald's favour, happened a week before the battle began. As I said earlier, Grayson was going tae ha'e the clans in the area keep watch o'er the entrance tae Loch Sunart from the sea, or the Sound of Mull. A crofter had spotted the small band of MacRae men trailing the MacDonald men preparing the traps. He watched where they rode back to and made his way to Tioram to warn Grayson.

He gathered thirty men on horseback and swarmed up the mountain to Loch Nr. The small fire gave away their location and they moved in with stealth until they were almost upon them. The men were slaughtered where they sat and never stood a chance of defence. So the intelligence that Captain Montrose had gathered, would surely ha'e gi'en MacRae the advantage and used the traps against them. But MacRae ne'er knew what happened tae his captain, or his men when he landed, so he was faced with the unknown." Tavish ended with and stopped for another drink.

The previous discussion of infidelity seemed to vanish from their thoughts, but Argus knew he would be discussing it later with Stuart in private. Stuart may not realize it now, but hopefully the reality of it would become clear and understand the seriousness of its implications.

An announcement of guests had Stuart leaving them to welcome the new arrivals. Stuart's cousin's David and wife, Roberta, his brother Mark and wife, Gillian and their son, Sean, had just flown in from Los Angeles for a holiday and were coming to visit for the day. Introductions were made and soon the party was moved to the salon, where more comfortable seating for everyone was. Once refreshments were served and everyone was comfortable, the discussion of the story telling and the upcoming ceremony of Tom and Deb was brought up. The idea of learning some history and getting to see the artifacts that were shown the other night, had the new guests excited that they had interrupted it and had a chance to get in on it.

"Tavish was just starting tae talk about the upcoming battle between the clans back in fifteen eighty-nine, when James MacRae was making a bid tae take o'er the highlands. It's too bad ye's ha'e missed it so far, I'm told it's been quite good. Tavish, Argus and myself, ha'e been gi'ing everyone a taste of highland living back then. I think ye's ha'e learned more than ye thought ye would, ha'en't ye, Tom and Deb?" Stuart asked.

"No kidding, Uncle Stuart. It's been incredible. It really has. I know more about my clan than I ever imagined and there's so much more to come. To be honest, before all this started, I was in dread of knowing what my clan had done, but after hearing how everything was back then, they weren't that much worse than any other clan wanting a place to live. I'm not too thrilled to know James MacRae is an ancestor of mine, but I'm sure many MacRae's were good people and did good things." Deb said openly, letting them know she represented the enemy in the story.

"There are many MacRae's that have done great things, Debra. I suggest you go on-line and do a search on the MacRae clan and go and see some of the things you find out about them while your here.`Mark told her.

"That's a great idea, Mark, thank you. We can do that tonight, Sweetheart." she said to Tom.

"Sure can, Babe. We can rent a car and go see anything that looks good and isn't too far away." Tom told her, smiling in a way that let her know he wasn't going to drive for hours to see something.

"You don't have to go any further than Eilean Donan, to find out your history, Debra." Mark's wife, Gillian told her.

"That's the castle in the story Uncle Stuart, Tavish and Argus are telling us about. I think we should just go there tomorrow Tom and check it out." she said excitedly, confirming her thoughts her clan had some redeeming moments in them.

"What story are you telling them, Stuart?" David asked his cousin.

"I, along wi' Tav and Argus, ha'e been going over the MacLeod history back when Garreth ruled here, because Debra is a MacRae and did'ne know about her heritage. She saw a few things that worried her and wanted tae know about them. We've gone through most of what happened before the Battle of Shiel and the Battle at Eilean Donan. We were just a few days away before it started, when ye's came." he told him.

"Would you mind if we sat in and listened. I loved that period and would love to now more about it. You were a history professor, weren't you, Tavish?" he asked Stuart and Tavish.

"Aye, fer twenty five years at Glasgow University." Tav replied.

"Yer more than welcome tae join us, if that's yer choosing. Things ha'e been known tae get a wee bit graphic," Stuart told them, glancing at Argus, who shrugged his shoulders, "but I think ye'll find it interesting. If yer all ready. Tavish, would ye continue where ye left off." Stuart asked him.

"Aye then. I had just told them about the advance party MacRae had sent, tae spy on the MacDonald's being wiped out, so MacRae had no idea of the traps that were set. When Captain Adamson landed at Salen Bay, he marched his men up to Ardshealach through the valley and on to to Acharacle. The whole time they were marching, the MacDonald's were following them along the ridges on both sides on horseback, out of sight. The trap was waiting for them at the Blain Bridge and they marched into it, just as Grayson hoped they would."

***************************

MacKenzie proudly led his newly trained Douglas clansmen along the peaceful scenery, looking back at his men. He turned to Adamson and boasted about his men to him, getting a nonplussed look in return.

"Do ye no think my men make a fine army tae lead, Captain Adamson?" he asked him.

"Yer men will do, but I'm more concerned wi' not ha'ing any word from Montrose. Not one man came tae meet us at Salen Bay and nothing from them so far. I want tae call a halt and go no further till I've had a chance tae scout out the area ahead." he told MacKenzie and raised his hand to halt.

The horses and men came to a stop where Loch Shiel emptied into the head of River Shiel. Adamson looked around at the land and up into the high hills surrounding them, looking for signs of enemy movement. Grayson and the men on both sides knew he would do that and had rode away from them, taking cover behind the trees. Adamson sent a scout ahead to scan the area and make sure the way was clear.

The clansman rode up to the point where the bridge started and looked around. Seeing nothing to alarm him to trouble, he rode on over the bridge slowly. He scanned the area, looking in the trees and anywhere he could. Feeling there was no danger, he rode back to the captain. Adamson gave the order to march the men over the bridge, while he led the cavalry around the forested area and down towards the crossing at the rapids. MacKenzie had them line up in twos to speed the time and the mass of men were soon in a column, marching towards the wooded area. Grayson and his men were on the west side of the hills, staying above the cavalry just out of sight, riding on the far side of the foothills.

Robert MacDonald was on the east side with another thirty riders, waiting on the far side of the clearing just before the bridge. The plan was to wait until half the men were across and then divide them by ambush. The ones that hadn't crossed would be caught in a crossfire of arrows, slaughtering them where they stood. The other half would be driven from them, into the waiting pits and Donnie and his men, with axes and swords, should any make it past them.

Adamson told Mackenzie to march the men quickly for the two mile journey to the rapids, where he'd meet up with them, before making the charge to the castle. MacKenzie nodded and went back to the head of the column and started the march towards the bridge. Hundreds of MacDonald clansmen were positioned under cover in the thick bushes and up in the trees, bows at the ready, waiting for the signal.

Two hundred men began making their way over the bridge at a fast pace and into the dense bush on the other side. The narrow pass between the trees made it difficult for the men to pass with all their weapons and armour and created a bottle neck that began slowing up the men behind. They broke formation to get through, disrupting the flow behind, causing too many men on the bridge to mass together. MacKenzie did his best to get the men through quickly and continue to the clearing and then wait.