Blue Collar Town

Story Info
Their predictable life became very unpredictable.
34.5k words
4.7
29.9k
12
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

by Philip Johnson

Chapter One

Portsmouth, Ohio. It's a blue collar town where the south flowing Scioto River joins the mighty Ohio River. Take away the rivers and there never would have been a reason for a town being built there to start with. Like so many times over the last few years I came in from Slab Run Road onto highway fifty two and passed the sign welcoming me to town adding the not so impressive statistic, population twenty one thousand. Of course that sign has been up so long now it's anybody's guess how many there really are. Crime is up along with the taxes and the chief of police is in the hot seat with the building sentiment that a change in city leadership is needed.

It's a Friday in early April. The weather is getting nicer but it's still cool and unpredictable, and I'm on my way back to town to meet Mel my best buddy for dinner. I pull in at the River View café and find him in our usual booth. "Hey Mel."

"Russ."

"You're earlier than usual."

"I snuck out."

"Hell you own the place so I don't think that should be too hard."

"We're kind of busy but it's Friday."

"Sounds like maybe I should open a body shop too."

"And give up your exciting life in administration?"

"Oh it's exciting alright. Just today for example one of the secretaries hurt herself with a staple remover."

"See that's a good example."

"I can't wait until somebody tangles with a file drawer."

"Sounds bloody."

"Not exactly like our days in the army is it."

"Not exactly. Well that wasn't exactly exciting either but we had our share of fun."

That started us reminiscing again and Mel said, "Remember us carrying little Layton Parmeter on that stretcher?"

"At a dead run no less."

"I thought that kid would kill us afterward."

"But the instructor liked our style."

"Damn right."

"Have you talked to Layton lately?"

"A couple of weeks ago actually. His divorce is finally done so he's feeling pretty good."

"You know you'd think with all that medical training we would have ended up as nurses or something after we got out of the Army."

"I kind of wish I would have done that too."

"It isn't too late you know."

"Yeah it is for me. I can't imagine going back to college for two years now."

"I can't see me doing that either so now I save cars and trucks instead of lives."

"You know when I think back now we had a hell of a good time on our weekend passes."

"If I tried to live like that now it would kill me."

"And that was only what...ten, twelve years ago?"

"Yeah something like that. I don't even want to get that drunk again let alone chase those skaggy women."

"I don't think Sandy or Alana would put up with it either."

"No we'd both be dead in no time."

"Are the four of us going out for dinner tomorrow night?"

"Last I knew we were."

"And we're going to look at that piece of property in the morning?"

"About ten if that works for you."

"Be at your place at ten then."

Most weekends would find Alana, my girlfriend, and me together and frequently with Mel and Sandy for dinner at least and sometimes cards. Some people could look forward to exotic experiences or travel to places half way around the world. For Alana and me it was more likely that we would go camping in the Wayne National Forest or when we could we'd head for the mountains in West Virginia or North Carolina. And when possible Mel and Sandy would join us on those camping adventures. It wasn't that I didn't have dreams and goals. I had dreams in abundance and at least a few goals that I considered attainable at some point in my life.

One of the ways to those goals involved Mel. We were going to build a house and sell it. If that went okay then we'd do another one and so on. It was a simple straightforward plan actually. Of course that meant that we had to find a piece of land to build on and then get the financing to start our dream of financial success. It was that search for property that had us parked along the edge of the road north of town on highway three thirty five. We were quiet a minute as we surveyed the property. The sign said Forrester Realty and it was a two acre parcel. "Okay Russ what's your first impression?"

"Flat, well drained and frontage on a nice road only a few miles from town."

"And what else?"

"I give, what else?"

"It's only a couple of miles from the south end of the Portsmouth airport."

"But that's far enough that the air traffic should be pretty high up by this point."

"We'll see."

"And it isn't what you'd call a large airport."

"I'll give you that.

We got out and walked the few feet onto the open land and stood there trying to imagine a house sitting at one end of the parcel of land. "Simple two story Mel?"

"I think so. That will keep the costs down a little and make it easier to sell." "This is going to be a lot more than building your little cabin at the lake."

"That's for damn sure."

"Of course that place only took us a few weeks to build too. You been up there lately?"

"Not for awhile. I'll probably end up finishing the place and selling it. All it is now is a worry after that hunter decided to shoot out the windows that time."

While we stood there looking around a couple of small jets had come over and Mel mentioned, "The noise issue from the airport doesn't seem like it would be

an issue."

"I don't think so either. If that turns off a buyer then he can't be very serious to begin with."

Then Mel pointed to the north and said, "Well except for that plane, damn he's low." It was only a second later when he added, "Oh shit he's coming down and he's going to try to land on the highway." I was looking around to find us a place to escape to but there was nothing more than a shallow ditch between the property and the roadside. What had looked like a small single engine plane was now a not so small twin engine monster hurling itself straight toward us.

"Mel into the ditch man that's all we can do." We dove into the ditch, took one last look at the onrushing threat and then put our faces in the dirt and covered our heads with our arms.

Chapter Two

The next thing we experienced was a thundering crash and piles of dirt and pieces of the plane pouring over us and then a sudden eerie silence. When we looked up we saw the plane in three large pieces spread out over several hundred feet. As the air cleared we could also see many smaller pieces scattered around the property that we said we wanted to buy and even into the adjoining fields. Neither of us spoke as we jumped up and shook the dirt off before racing toward the now burning front half of the plane. It was like we were suddenly back in the Army and this was a rescue exercise. We still didn't speak because we didn't need to.

We both knew the metal could be hot as a stove top so we tried not to touch it as we entered what was left of the plane. Neither of us took the time to count the people but instead focused on getting whoever we encountered free of the carnage before the fire engulfed the whole thing. The first person we saw was a large man. He was unconscious at the very least so we teamed up and worked to get him free and dragged him far enough that he wouldn't die from the fire. Then it was back in and each of us went for the next person. My next one was a guy of smaller stature and I untangled him from the wreckage and deposited him next to the first guy as Mel came out with a woman. On we went until we had six people lined up on the ground. I knew where there was one more and Mel went for the pilot next. "Mel don't try it man the fire is too hot up there."

"I'll be careful." My last rescue was another woman and was light enough that I had her free of the mess in short order and headed back to help Mel. I couldn't get far enough past the now growing flames but in spite of that here came Mel dragging the pilot. I grabbed hold and the two of us got clear of the heat.

To my amazement when we deposited the pilot on the ground next to the others the first woman was standing up and staring at the plane. I went over to her to get her to lie down but she shrugged me off and just asked, "Did you see my briefcase?"

"Your what?"

"My briefcase."

"Lady I wasn't looking at luggage I was a little busy."

"Please see if you can see it. It is so very vital that I keep that." I looked at her like she was crazy and said, "You do realize the damn plane is an inferno."

"I know but please just do your best and look around." I didn't know if she was in shock and talking out of her head or not. I shook my head in disbelief and then went back and got as close as I dared. I could see a lot of the luggage and most of it was burning. But there on the fringe was a briefcase. A now not so

shiny metal oversized briefcase that looked more like a small suitcase. Whether or not it was hers I had no idea but by getting on my belly and crawling to it I managed to get it and then retreat a safe distance before I stood up.

I looked at what was in my hand and walked over to her like it was no big deal. "Is this yours?"

"Oh my God you found it, yes that's mine." She took it and held it close to her and then started to fall. I caught her and helped her to lie in the weeds as she said, "I don't know what's the matter with me it seems I'm a little dizzy." I couldn't believe this woman. She'd just survived a plane crash, and she was puzzled that she'd be dizzy. We could hear sirens in the distance so I just stayed with the conscious woman as Mel sat down and peeled off his burned shirt. It looked to me like he was burned pretty badly but he was holding his own. The lady turned to me and said, "Thank you for saving me."

"It was our pleasure." That was kind of lame of me to say but what else could I say to her?

She handed her vital briefcase to me and asked, "Would you keep this safe for me?" I took it and just nodded. "Whatever you do, do not give it to anybody else. I don't care who they are or who they claim to be. No one and I mean no one else is to touch that but you and me."

"Okay."

"Promise me that?"

"I promise I'll keep it safe for you."

"I'll come for it as soon as my injuries are tended to. I'm Vicki Gallegar by the way."

"I'm Russ Gantry, nice to meet you Vicki."

"Russ are the other's..."

"I don't know. They're all unconscious at the least but that's all I know." The first paramedics arrived and I pointed them toward the others and continued to stay with Vicki who seemed to be getting weaker as time passed.

Within minutes after the first paramedics arrived the field was a sea of activity. Paramedics were focusing on the other five passengers leaving Mel, Vicki and me for last. Vicki watched the other woman be treated and then loaded onto a gurney. When they came past us she said, "I'm her mother, how is she?"

They didn't stop but offered, "She's still alive ma'am and not badly burned" and they kept going. They finally tended to Mel and he was soon on his way to the hospital and then Vicki and I soon followed. My burns weren't serious but they hurt like hell for the next couple of days. Mel's burns were a little worse from pulling the pilot free but he too only suffered with a lot of pain for a few days and he was missing a lot of hair. It was a gruesome and bloody scene and unfortunately the pilot, along with five others, didn't survive the crash and fire.

The news people were lying in wait and were interviewing me as soon as I left the emergency department some hours later and then did the same with Mel. All I wanted to do was go home and take another pain pill and hide. Once I was home and had rested a couple of hours I looked at the briefcase and wondered what could be in it that was so vitally important. With all of the emphasis Vicki had put on keeping it from others made me a little nervous. Why would she have to be so emphatic about that? It felt heavy in my hands and the urge to open it was strong. So strong in fact that I took it to the garage and with the aid of my ladder I hid it in the rafters amid a stack of insulation rolls. Once I was back inside I felt a little silly to have done that but I left it there where it was out of my sight. If nothing else that helped me to control my temptation to look in it.

By Wednesday of the next week Mel felt better and the four of us gathered at my place for dinner. We lingered over coffee before dinner and he asked me, "So what do you think of that piece of property now?" I had to laugh at that one.

"I'd say we keep looking."

"Yeah I would too. By the way channel thirty is running an update on the crash at six."

"We'll have to see what they say." Alana kissed my cheek and said, "Maybe we'll get to see you heroes on television again."

"Once is enough of that as far as I'm concerned." Alana was especially attentive to me after the crash but at first she was afraid she'd hurt me if she

touched me. But other than having fire singed eyebrows and hair I didn't look much different and the pain was all but gone by Monday.

We all gathered around the television and waited for the six o'clock news to give their update on the plane crash. They started off by giving a quick review of the event and showed a short video of the crash site. Then as the camera zoomed into the reporter's face we learned that the now deceased Charles Gallegar, Vicki's husband was suspected of drug trafficking among other illegal activities. The big guy, the first one that Mel and I pulled from the plane was Larry Quartos, his body guard. They went on to mention some of the other passengers but didn't connect them to Larry or Vicki other than as acquaintances. Then they showed a new clip of them interviewing Nicole, the daughter of Charles. We had been quiet as their story unfolded but when I saw Nicole appear on screen I muttered, "Holy shit" as I continued to stare. My reaction made Alana look at me and I said, "She sure didn't look like that when I carried her from the plane."

"Settle down lover."

Mel reinforced my reaction by adding, "Damn that woman cleans up pretty nice."

In a somewhat haughty tone Sandy said, "It's amazing what a lot of makeup will do."

Mel shook his head and said, "She doesn't need a lot of make up." We continued to stare at her but our talking had overpowered most of what she had said.

Sandy gave Mel a thin smile and said, "You act like you've never seen a woman before."

"Honey this little river town hasn't seen the likes of her in a long time. I'll bet that little outfit she's wearing cost more than I bring home in two weeks."

"I wouldn't be surprised."

I had to dig myself deeper in trouble by saying, "She'd even make fatigues look good." It was after that remark that Alana shut the television off.

Mel leaned back and asked, "Do you suppose drugs had a part in them stopping here?"

"Not somebody that rich I don't think. I'm guessing they were picking somebody up or refueling or something like that. They would leave the risky things like transporting and selling the drugs to their hirelings."

Alana stood up and as she headed to the kitchen said, "You should have made a point to go see this sweet Nicole while she was still in the hospital then. Now you've lost your chance to see her one last time." I was pretty sure I hadn't exactly endeared myself to Alana based on her tone of voice.

Chapter Three

Friday was one of those days I wished I could have skipped. Blake my boss, and our main materials supplier got into a heated argument in the morning and I was caught in the crossfire. It took me a good part of the day to run down the details and settle the two of them down. Had I failed at that I would have been working twelve hour days trying to get things back on track and I would have still looked like the bad guy to my boss. It had a happy ending but I was still half mad at both of them at the end of the day.

I was home and in the last stages of that anger resolution when my phone rang. "Hello?"

"Russ Gantry?"

"This is he."

"This is Nicole Gallegar." I was tongue tied. I had an instant mental image of her as she stood in front of the television camera just days ago. "You know the one you pulled from the burning plane?"

"Of course Nicole how are you doing?"

"Recovering nicely and how are your burns?"

"Also recovering nicely. I'm just missing some eyebrows and arm hair mostly now."

"Russ I've not had the chance to thank you for your heroic efforts."

"That's not necessary."

"Oh I disagree. Would it be convenient for me to come see you and express my gratitude in person?"

"Of course I'd like to see you."

"Say an hour?"

"That would be fine." After hanging up I stood there smiling like a happy drunk. I finally regained my senses and went to wash up and change. I wanted to look nice for my guest. That seemed like a long hour but I was soon smiling at her in person as she stood at my door. "Nicole you look wonderful please come in."

"Thank you Russ." She gave me a very firm and warm embrace and her scent and the feel of her in my arms almost made my knees buckle. When she stepped back I openly stared at her. Then with my uncontrollable smile still glued on my face I said, "My God you'd never know you were in that burning plane, you look stunning."

"Thank you. None of that seems real to me even now. I still have some healing to do" and she raised her blouse to show me her still red and peeling belly. I know my reaction was evident as my eyes went wide but she just calmly

said, "Oh you must have seen this much of me and more when you carried me out of that plane. Half of my clothes were either gone or in tatters I'm told."

"You were looking pretty rough that's for sure. How's Vicki?"

"Not doing well I'm afraid. Her health wasn't all that wonderful even before the accident."

"I'm sorry about your father Nicole."

"Thank you. Russ I don't want you to think badly of me so I'd better tell you. I didn't get along with him at all and hadn't for a very long time. I didn't agree with what he was doing. I'm afraid you won't see me as the grief stricken daughter that I should be. I'm sorry that he died but I'm not heart broken."

"I'm sorry would you like something to drink?"

"I'd like to take you to dinner if I could."

"I accept and thank you."

"I'll drive but you'll have to tell me where we're going." I directed her to Frankie's Steakhouse and the drive only took us about fifteen minutes. As she drove we talked and I sat there looking at her in drooling admiration. She had to know she was a beautiful and sexy woman and she had to know the effect she had on me. I gathered my senses enough to tell her, "Nicole remember that Mel did even more than I did at the crash scene that day."

"I have to thank him too but I'm told it was you that carried me out in your arms."

"Well yeah that's true but..."

"I know you're a reluctant hero."

"I may be reluctant but I'm no hero. Mel and I just happened to be there."

"Forgive me if I insist on considering you my hero though," and she reached over and put her hand on my arm as she smiled at me. To say that I felt pretty full of myself is an understatement as we entered the restaurant and all eyes went straight to Nicole as she stood very close to me.

We had a nice dinner and Nicole saw that we were well provided for and the wine was plentiful and very good. Our conversation was light and the subject of the plane crash didn't come up except when she asked me, "How badly were you injured?"

"First degree burns mostly. A lot of singed hair, one long burn on my back where I backed into something pretty hot and one burn on my belly that's still healing. I don't know where that came from or when it happened."