Boston to Birmingham Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
qhml1
qhml1
8,984 Followers

Police immediately swarmed around the car while crews filmed the action.

Gwen, of course, had no idea what was going on and was suitably pissed. In deference to her standing, they didn't handcuff her, but had her wait in the backseat of a car. No drugs were found.

When he finally understood there were no drugs in the car, an angry Don Vincente ordered his driver to leave, but before he could move, an old truck pulled in front and backed up to his bumper, and a large SUV pulled behind him. He had a moment of panic, this is one of the ways he eliminated enemies at home.

A young man dressed in a suit, carrying a manila envelope, walked up, shoved it under the wiper, waved and walked away. The truck and SUV sped away. The driver sat for a second, frozen.

"Don't just sit there, get me the envelope!" Don Vincente snarled. He had one of his bodyguards open it. A little firework known as a party popper was inside, and went off with a soft pop, sending a small amount of confetti into the air.

Already on edge, everyone jumped when the popper went off. There was one piece of paper in the envelope, with a short message written in block letters.

"BACK OFF"

.................................................

The police were suitably embarrassed and in a statement to the stations, the assistant chief apologized and issued a dire warning to anyone filing false accusations and wasting police time and resources.

The announcer said

"In related stories, a local man with a lengthy criminal record was arrested after police found a felony amount of cocaine in a baggie in the trunk. The man denies all knowledge of the drugs being in his vehicle."

"An as yet unnamed foreign national was stopped on interstate sixty five south and arrested for almost the exact same amount of drugs, packaged similarly. The D.E.A. has expressed interest in both cases."

The station manager gave an editorial, crying out for law enforcement to curb the spread of drugs and lawlessness creeping up from below the border.

The next day almost every paper in Birmingham had the same editorial appear in the paper. A ground swell of public opinion was rising, powered by a bipartisan political action committee with seemingly unlimited funding. Things were starting to get hot for the Escobar interests.

................................................

Gwen had no idea she was being watched at first. She was angry someone had filed a false report and tried to embarrass her, but soon forgot about it.

She was coming out of The Chambers, a favorite watering hole of lawyers and court officials, when three men appeared, two grabbing her while the other pulled a hood over her face. Just before the hood covered her eyes she saw a blur of blonde hurtle out of the darkness, followed by yells and screams. Some one snatched her up and was carrying her away, she was trying to scream when the hood came off and a man clamped his hand over her mouth.

"Be quiet now, Aunt Gwen. I gotta get you outta here."

It was the magic words, she put her arms around his neck and started crying. She was placed in the back of a van. Another man she didn't know quickly checked her over.

"You're all right, Miss Gwen, calm down now, we've got you."

"Who are you?"

"Family, that's all you need to know right now.

We're gonna take you out to Grandpa Hardys' house for the night. We'll have you home tomorrow morning, all right?"

Aunt Hildy welcomed her in, putting her in the bed and sitting by her until she was calmed.

"What's going on, Aunt Hildy?"

"Child, don't ask me to break a confidence."

"It's Hardy, isn't it? He's watching over me."

Hildy smiled.

"In the words of a famous politician, I can neither confirm of deny that statement."

"But how did he know when to be there?"

"Hypothetically, let's say there's a man who loves a woman very much, even if he won't do anything about it. Let's also say, for the sake of discussion, that he is determined she not come into harms way. Let's also say, thanks to the foolish actions of the woman, the man has a tremendous amount of disposable income, and chooses to spend some of it protecting her."

"Speaking of Hardy, he's all right isn't he?

He didn't get hurt protecting me, did he?"

Gwen spoke the words in a rush.

"I don't think so, honey, your cousins didn't say, so expect not. Now, go to sleep. Ham and eggs for breakfast."

After a restless night she tried to eat the hearty breakfast Hildy made with little success. Her new found cousins didn't mind destroying it, though. She was hugging them goodbye, when she felt a lump at Joshua's side. Pulling back the shirt she saw a large revolver strapped to his belt.

"I want the truth. What have I gotten you into?"

Joshua looked kind of embarrassed.

"Well, child, when you can't get to someone, sometimes it's easier to get to a relative. We'd rather be safe than sorry. Don't worry, you take care of business and it'll all be over soon."

She noticed a few more cousins than usual around the place.

"How many does Hardy have watching Grandpa and Hildy?" She asked as they pulled away.

"Enough, some you can't see. They'll be fine."

When he dropped her off he escorted her in. He gave her a little advice before he left.

"You'll see me, and a few others you recognize from time to time. Don't acknowledge us or let on you know us. Remember, when this is over we'll all be gone."

"One more question. How did Hardy know they were going to try that last night?"

"He didn't, he was just getting an update from us. It was a right time, right place sort of thing."

She hugged him and told him to thank the rest of his crew for her.

...............................................

Karen talked to her at lunch.

"Hear what happened last night at The Chambers?"

Gwen was glad she had her mouth full, it gave her time to frame her answer.

"No, I was there last night but left early. What happened?"

"There was some sort of fight in the back parking lot. When the cops got there they found two Mexicans, beat half to death. They wouldn't talk, so they held them for a few hours and let them go."

"What were they doing in the parking lot"

"The police think it was a drug deal gone bad. Man, they're everywhere these days."

Gwen agreed.

"Yeah, you're just not safe anywhere any more."

As they got up to leave she asked how the counseling sessions were going.

"We got the individual sessions out of the way, and our first joint session is this week."

"I hope it works out for you. Will Hardy be able to drive by then?"

"Why wouldn't he be?"

"Well grandpa told me this morning his arm was sprained and he had a nasty cut, took eighteen stitches and six staples to close up. He's got it in a sling. Grandpa said he fell off a tractor while helping Joshua."

Gwen felt a little faint.

"Grandpa also treated a Mexican fella, broke leg, broke arm, several cuts. He fell off a tractor too. Dangerous things, tractors."

................................................

Things escalated. One of the cousins not even involved was beaten pretty badly. In retaliation, six of Don Vincentes' low level dealers were found in a stolen van with felony amounts of drugs, all stolen from his couriers.

Don Vincente had to fly out to San Diego to open a new supply line. His mini war was costing him millions, D.E.A. and local law enforcement seemed to know about shipments before they even left the country, and very few major shipments were getting through. A Coast Guard cutter, acting on a tip, seized one of his boats with ten million in cocaine and marijuana. He had a leak, a serious one, that he needed to plug, fast. The other cartels thought he was losing his edge, and they were circling, nibbling at his business.

He had always enjoyed San Diego. He was talking to people, discussing routes and schedules when the name of a local lawyer came up.

"You might want to put him on retainer. He knows what we do and doesn't care, in fact, he's a customer, even invested some money. He's pretty sharp when he isn't high."

...............................................

Allan Hovis hated his life. Forced to keep his word, he had moved West, finally settling in San Diego. He had resumes out to all the major law firms, but the few interviews he got led him nowhere. He was actually hired twice, but turned them down when he discovered he had to take a drug test. His funds dwindling, he opened his own office.

It was terrible, he went from riding in jets to international destinations to chasing ambulances to the local hospital.

His luck seemed to change when he defended a mid level drug dealer, getting him off on a technicality. The dealer gave him an ounce as a bonus, and he made gentle inquiries about investing. He had seventy thousand left from his settlement.

He was allowed to invest fifty thousand on the promise he would defend the dealer and his friends when they needed it. The need arose from time to time, he won some, lost others, but always did his best for them. They still paid him.

His original investment had grown to almost two hundred thousand and he continued to let it ride. His goal was ten million, then he would retire to an island somewhere, buy a villa, and furnish it with young, willing, beach bunnies.

Don Vincente caught Allan on a good day, not high, but just enough in his system to keep him stable. Allan was afraid of him, he radiated power.

"Diego speaks highly of you. I'm pursuing some business interests in the area, and he suggested you may be able to help me from time to time, should I need it."

Allan could smell money.

"Diego is too kind. I do what I can, when I can. I would be delighted to help a friend of his."

"Thank you, My business has hit a small snag on the East coast, so I find myself seeking alternatives here in the West. Your Southern Americans are vulgar, and resist reason at times."

"I can relate to that, Don Vincente. Last year I had a run in with a particularly disagreeable Southerner. It's one of the reasons I came West myself. But I have promised myself, if I ever get the chance, I would make him and his wife regret ever meeting me."

Don Vincente was in a good mood and had a little too much to drink, or he would have been more guarded.

"Ah, yes, never forget your enemies. After this little difficulty is settled, Senor Wilkes and his puta wife will regret hearing my name."

Allan choked on his drink.

"Wilkes? That wouldn't be Hardy and Gwen Wilkes, would it?"

"Indeed. You know of them?"

"Yes, Don Vincente, I do. They have cost me much, recently."

Don Vincente laughed.

"Well then, ever heard the expression 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend'? I think, Allan, you could be my friend. Let me tell you of my troubles. Perhaps you could be of greater help than I thought."

He gave Allan a brief history of his interactions with the family Wilkes.

"I've tried several things to resolve this, to no avail. It seems every time I think I have a little leverage, I'm thwarted."

"What would it be worth to you for me to fix this?"

"You would have my eternal gratitude, plus a very nice financial reward. Your dream of retiring soon would be moved up by years if you could accomplish this."

"Consider it done, my patron. I will leave for the east coast tomorrow. Anything else I can be of service with, let me know."

There was something else he could do. Unknown to Allan, his corvette was packed with cocaine. A little something extra. Don Vincente so enjoyed multitasking. He gave Allan ten thousand dollars to drive, telling him to pay cash at Mom and Pop gas stations and small diners, to avoid cameras.

It would look like he never left the state.

................................................

The individual sessions went reasonably well. Hardy already knew, but Gwen found out quickly evasions and half truths would not be tolerated. Bill insisted on the truth and wouldn't let go until he got it.

After the sessions he reviewed and collated his notes, and waited for the fireworks.

.................................................

Gwen was fifteen minute early, vowing to never be late after the first session. Hardy was already there.

"Good, we'll start a little early since you're both here. Here is what is going to happen. I'll do a lot of talking the first little while, then you'll each get a chance to speak. I warn you, stick to the topic at hand or the session will terminate immediately, and it won't be counted. Do you understand? I expect a verbal confirmation from each of you. Hardy?"

"I understand the rules, Bill. Can we get on with it?"

"In due time. Gwen, do you understand?"

"Yes, Bill, I'll play by the rules."

"Good, good, now that's what I want to hear. Now, for the next few minutes, I'm the only one allowed to speak, okay? I want to go over some of the stuff from your solo sessions, and start my course of therapy."

He paused, looking at them. They were in chairs placed at opposite ends of the room. Gwen went to pull hers closer but Bill stopped her.

"Please leave the furniture in place, there's a reason for it."

"First, you two come from totally different worlds. Next, you're almost a half generation apart in age. Your values, at least during your marriage were widely different. In fact you're almost complete opposite in every aspect but two."

"One, for some reason not known to man, you love each other. Now, Hardy, don't blow up, I didn't say you had to stay together, just stating what you both have admitted. Second, and most important, you have no idea who each other are.

You've never actually met. You both went into a marriage based on lies and half truths. I'm, no we, are going to change that. The rest of the session and maybe one or two more will be spent by introducing yourselves to each other. Put it on the same footing as a first date. You're interested or you wouldn't have agreed to the date. So, we're going to start by physical introductions. Hardy, get up, go over, shake the woman's hand, and introduce yourself. Go on now, don't be bashful."

He looked like he was going to an execution. Bill encouraged him.

"Go on, Hardy. Speak up, the lady is waiting."

Gwen had stood up. Hardy stopped in front of her, not close, but not far.

"Hello, my name is Hardy Wilkes. How are you this evening?"

It was said in a monotone, but it was clear and direct.

"I'm pleased to meet you, Mr. Wilkes. I'm Gwen Wil...I mean Canaday. I feel better tonight than I have in a long time, thank you for asking."

She held out her hand.

"Don't be rude, Hardy, shake her hand. It won't kill you."

Bill was grinning, but they couldn't see it.

He had never seen the man so tentative, holding out his hand like he expected it to be cut off.

Gwen took it gently, holding it for a second.

"Good, good. Now, please be seated. Would you like to ask her some questions, get to know her a little better? I bet she's fascinating. Remember now, first date questions, nothing about past relationships."

He was trying to frame a question when Gwen spoke up.

"Maybe I should start. As I said, my name is Gwen. I'm a lawyer by trade, right now I'm an assistant district attorney in Jefferson County.

I grew up in Boston, did you catch my accent? It's not as strong as when I first moved her, but people still turn and look. I'm twenty seven, was home schooled during my teen years, entered college just past my sixteenth birthday. Didn't take breaks between semesters, had my law license at twenty two. I went to work for my dad, he is the principal owner in a firm, you may have heard of it, Canaday and Associates? He's a fifth generation lawyer, it runs in the family."

She paused for breath, afraid she had said too much.

"Good, Gwen, good. Now, Hardy, would you like to tell Gwen a little about where you grew up? Maybe comment on what you heard?"

He took a deep breath, as if considering his words carefully.

"I have heard of Canaday and Associates, they have an office here too. Good firm, very respected. I happen to know Greg Canaday personally, a fine man. Someone to be proud of.

I've heard his daughter was a bit spoiled, but you can't trust rumors."

Bill was about to interject but Hardy kept going, noting Gwen wince at the last statement.

"As for me, the common term around here was 'poor white trash' when describing my family. My mother was a cheater, and my sister followed in her footsteps. My dad was a petty criminal, and I pretty much followed in his footsteps. Luckily for me, some influential friends managed to get me into the military. I served most of two tours in Iraq and was invalided out of the Army. Never got the ducking thing, I guess. I had physical and emotional therapy, and lo and behold, ended up a lawyer. I have more relatives than you can shake a stick at around here, some good people, some lowlifes of the worst stripe. I guess I'm somewhere in the middle, nobody is sure where I'll land."

"I'm sure you'll land on your feet, good men always do. Despite your beginnings and upbringing, you've managed to better yourself through hard work and determination. I admire that. By, the way, I see your arm is injured. Are you alright?"

Gwen couldn't keep the concern out of her voice.

Hardy laughed.

"I'll be fine soon. Farming accident. Doesn't pay to get inattentive working with dangerous equipment."

"Did you damage the equipment?" She was smiling.

"Well, I did knock some paint off, and a couple of the moving parts got broken, but they were repaired and seem to be mending."

Bill interrupted, trying to get them back on track.

"As interesting as that exchange was, let's stay on track. Maybe I should direct a question or two."

"Gwen, let's start with an easy one. Where do you see yourself in ten years, career wise, what kind of relationship do you see yourself in, where do you think you'll settle down?"

"That's an easy one, Bill. I see myself in a loving relationship, happily married to the man of my dreams, with a child or two, maybe even three. I intend to stay in this area, I have family and friends and I like it here. Career wise, I couldn't tell you. We won't need to work for a living, so I may become a housewife, at least until the children are older. I can see my husband as a gentleman farmer, provided he stays away from heavy equipment."

She couldn't resist a little smirk.

"And you, Hardy, what do you think of that plan?"

"I must admit, that's not the vision I'm getting. You seem too goal oriented, forgive me, but too self centered to be settled down with a family."

Before Bill could interject, Gwen came back.

"That would have been true a year ago. But my priorities have changed, my extended family have become important to me. I've found the more I think about making others happy, the less I worry about foolish things. I love my career as a lawyer, be it in court or in a boardroom, but I've found it won't keep you warm at night, won't snuggle you, hold you and tell you it will all be fine, because it loves you. And believe me, that's far more important"

Bill was watching the exchange closely, noting the reactions of Hardy, going from incredibly sad, to frustrated, to disbelieving. Time for a change.

"Tell us Hardy, where do you see yourself in ten years?"

Hardy grunted.

"The way my life is going, I'll probably be dead in ten years. If not, I'll hopefully still be practicing law, and maybe, just maybe, I 'll have people around me who love me, there's even an outside chance I'll have someone, maybe even a child or two, if I'm not too old. Who knows?"

Bill looked at the clock.

"Well, time to stop. I want you to think about something before next time. I want you to give it serious thought. Write it down if it helps you clarify your thoughts. "

qhml1
qhml1
8,984 Followers