Boston to Birmingham Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
qhml1
qhml1
8,972 Followers

He rolled his eyes.

"Oh boy, I can't wait. This is going to be a date from hell. Think I can get out of it?"

"Not in the least, you're just arm candy. Smile, be attentive, stay in the background, and everything will be fine. Behave, and she might not make you get your own way home. Have fun."

She was still laughing when she sat back down.

Karen talked to Paul, and he got two pair of tickets, for him, his wife, Karen, and her husband, saying he wouldn't miss this show for anything.

.................................................

Gwen made absolutely sure she was perfect. She had Jerry wait until the dinner was about to begin before entering, sweeping in just after everyone was seated, and passing the table of honor as she was directed to her table.

He was there, with one of the most beautiful women she had ever seen. This was a state senator?

She had her hand on his arm, laughing quietly at something just said. He looked up and their eyes locked. Time seemed to slow down, and she stumbled slightly. Then they were by them and being seated. It was a miserable evening.

She had a direct line of sight, and watched as she obviously flirted with him.

"Bitch, why don't you just mount him on the table and fuck him in front of us." She thought as her hand clenched her wine glass so hard it cracked.

Paul, Karen, and spouses were seated with her, and there was a minor scene as they checked her hand and replaced her glass. Hardy looked over, frowning slightly. Once again their eyes met and he raised his glass in salute. She refused to acknowledge him.

"Well, aren't you Miss Mature this evening" said Karen, in a warning tone.

"You wanted to be here, so behave. Making a scene won't make his memories of you any better."

The advice calmed her. She made polite small talk, speaking to people at other tables, people she knew professionally. Aunt Daisy was there, attended by Marcus. People were so used to seeing them together it was almost expected. They raised their glasses in recognition, and she smiled brightly.

The dinner out of the way, they sat through the

inevitable round of speeches. The keynote speaker, one Bonnie Parker, made an impassioned plea for her charity.

"Thank you for coming out tonight and supporting my cause. Everyone here is a professional in one field or another, think what your life would have been like without your education. Would you be as fulfilled? Would your family enjoy the same standard of living they have now? Knowledge is power. Take my escort this evening. By his own admission he came up hard, but he pulled himself together, got an education, and went on to be a lawyer with nationally recognized accomplishments.

He had the good fortune to have a benefactor who funded his cause, getting justice for the poor and less fortunate. Not bad for a good ol' boy from Limestone County."

"There must be more Hardy Wilkes in the world, let's help them achieve their dream. Now, the dancing is about to start. Enjoy the evening, bid on the items donated to our cause."

She left the podium to thunderous applause, stopping to shake hands and exchange greetings with well wishers. Hardy stood and held her chair, earning him a kiss on the cheek. Gwen smouldered.

It was a very nice combo, playing old classics, waltzes, fox trots, and an occasional Latin piece.

Gwen was an excellent dancer, and her card was full. She saw Hardy from time to time, once with Aunt Daisy for a sedate waltz, once with Karen for an uptempo number. She never failed to understand how a man so large could be so graceful. But, most of his dances were taken by the esteemed senator. Gwen almost missed a step the first time she saw them dance.

Then, during a break, she found herself in front of Hardy. He smiled and took her hand.

"How are you, Gwen?"

Stifling her inclination to say she was miserable, she told him she was fine.

"Good, I'm glad to see you back. Do you intend to stay here?"

"Yes, I have family I'm fond of, and to be honest, New England winters no longer have an appeal to me."

"Good. I'm sure I'll see you, time to time."

He was about to leave, when his date appeared.

"Hardy, who is this lovely creature. Should I be watching you a bit closer?"

She said it in a soft teasing voice, unaware of who Gwen was.

"Bonnie, please let me introduce you to Miss Gwen..."

He almost said Wilkes but corrected himself.

"Canaday, of the Boston Canadays. Her dad is my boss."

She her hand out.

"I'm pleased to make your acquaintance. Do you know Hardy well?"

Gwen shook, smirking at Hardy, who was suddenly looking uncomfortable.

"Oh, Hardy and I go way back. In fact, I can safely say no one has spent more time with him than I, until recently."

"Really? You and I should talk. I'll tell you about his wild youth, and you can tell me about his sedate maturity. It should be fun."

She fished a card out of her purse.

"I'll be in town a few more days, political stuff you know. Call me at your leisure."

Before she could reply, her handlers hustled her off to do more glad handing.

Hardy gave her a small smile and followed her.

Karen came up.

"Cover your claws, dear. She and Hardy were kids together. There's history there you know nothing about. I don't think there's any romance there, at least on his part. She seems to like him a lot more than I remember, though."

The band started, and everyone resumed dancing. She ran into J.T., Will Robb, and his wife Myrtle, and she danced with both the sheriff and the judge.

It was the last set, and she could see Hardy talking to the band leader, slipping something into the palm of his hand. He stepped in front of a microphone.

"Ladies and gentlemen, it's almost time to call it a night. Give yourselves a round of applause for your support of this cause. We're going to do a few more, but by special request we're going to do this number now. All you lovers, married and single, here's your chance to shine."

"Ladies and gentlemen, the tango."

A quiet came over the crowd, and Hardy appeared at her side.

"Would you allow me this dance, Gwen?"

He held out her hand and she followed, not trusting her voice.

They had taken dance lessons together just after they married. He said as much as he enjoyed watching her move, this was one particular dance he wanted her to share with none other. They had practiced it for hours, and danced it every chance they got.

A few couples joined them, but soon dropped out. She was dipped, twirled, dragged. They spun away and into each other in almost perfect movements, as though bound by invisible strings. The band leader had been doing this for a long time, knew the impact of the dance, and signaled his group to keep playing. They were on the floor almost eight minutes before the music ended, and their bodies twined together for the last time.

She was dipped, dangling in his arms like a feather. He righted her, kissed her cheek, and strode from the floor. The cheers and applause went on for several minutes as she stood alone, savoring the moment.

Karen rescued her.

"Damn girl, that was hot! It was like watching you make love with your clothes on, right there on the dance floor. It'll be awhile before anyone forgets this fundraiser."

She sat in an exhausted daze while the band finished up. Then went to the ladies room to fix her appearance. She was washing her face when Bonnie came out of a stall.

"Miss Canaday, your dance was beautiful. I've never seen such a physical expression of love. Hardy finally told me who you were. Dad told me he had been married, but I got the impression it was a local girl. I really would like to talk to you. You have my card, call."

She never called.

She was in such a good mood she took Jerry home.

.................................................

Aunt Daisy helped her find a house close to hers, needless to say in a very old, upscale part of town. Huge lot, five bedroom throwback to the old South, complete with columns and a balcony facing a circular driveway. There was a three bedroom bungalow converted from the stables, and a housekeeper and a maintenance man living there.

They had taken care of the house and grounds for fifteen years, and Gwen felt no need to replace them. It was a little spooky at first, rattling round late at night, but she came to ignore it.

................................................

It didn't stay empty long, she inherited a daughter.

Maybe daughter wasn't the right word, she was only fourteen years younger, but definitely baby sister. And she filled a deep void in her life, she gave her someone to love.

Hildy called her out of the blue.

"Gwen Marie, How are you?"

She had lived in the South long enough to know, when both your given names were used, you had either screwed up, done something particularly outstanding, or someone needed a favor. If they used all three names, you were in deep shit.

"Fine, Aunt Hildy. You?"

"I'm tolerable. How you like living in that big old house by yourself?"

"It gets a little lonely sometimes, but I'm getting used to it."

"That's kinda why I called. I need a kindness done."

"Aunt Hildy, you know I'd do anything for you. What is it?"

"Don't make promises too quick, girl. You remember Melissa Sue?"

"Of course I do. She was one of the first cousins I met, that day you had me out for the first time. Is she in trouble?"

"Not exactly. Her daddy died in a truck accident when she was seven, and to put it mildly, her momma is just plain triflin'. She ran off three weeks ago with some fella just as bad. Nobody has seem them since. Melissa Sue wasn't gonna tell, hopin' she'd come back, but somehow social services found out."

"I'd take her in myself, she's not a bad girl considerin' her raising, but you know Joshua hasn't felt good since Ronnie thumped him on his head. I'm worried about him, bad. He can't farm anymore, we're livin' off his social security and the money Hardy gives us. It's more than enough to take care of us, but it galls Josh he has to take it. If one of the family doesn't take her in

pretty quick they'll take her, and foster care will be her future. Can you help me?"

"Where is she right now?"

"The county got her in a group home. Its' got Joshua fretting bad."

"It'll take me about three hours to get things done and get there. Stay calm, Aunt Hildy, and tell Joshua not to worry, I got her."

"Stop by after you get done, you know how Joshua loves to see you. And Gwen Marie, it's good to have family like you around. Bye."

She called Limestone County Social Services. They would let her go if they had authorization from the courts. She called Paul, and he smoothed the way with the local judge.

"You better hurry, Social Services closes in two hours, and if they don't have the papers, she'll be there until Monday."

She knew she would never make it, so gathering her strength she called Hardy.

She skipped the small talk and went right to the point.

"Hardy, they got little Melissa Sue in foster care, her momma ran off. I got a judge up there willing to give me an order saying I can take temporary custody, but if I don't get it filed before the offices close she'll be stuck there all weekend. Can you help me.?

Hardy had more experience with foster care than he liked, so he jumped right in.

"I'll handle it. Meet me at Grandpas', I'll have her there by the time you arrive."

He could hear the relief in her voice.

"Thank you."

"Gwen, I need you to promise me, if it's family business and you need help, call me first. Promise me."

"I do, honey, oops I mean Hardy. See you soon."

When she got there, Melissa Sue was sitting on the front porch swing, looking lost and alone. Mothering instincts kicked in, and she sat beside her, rocking gently. Soon she felt her head on her shoulder, and she put her arm around her. Before long the tears were flowing, and Gwen held tighter, promising her things were going to get better, starting right now.

She looked up to see Hardy watching them, and she could have sworn he had tears in his eyes. He turned abruptly and went back in. She had an epiphany, this could have been our daughter I'm holding, and her tears dripped into the younger girls' hair.

They ate a quiet dinner. She could tell Joshua wasn't well and Aunt Hildy was worried. She managed to get Hardy on the porch for a short talk.

"I'm worried about Joshua. Has he been to the doctor lately?"

Hardy grunted.

"The stubborn old coot won't let Hildy take him.

I made an appointment for next week, told him I'd drag him there myself if he didn't go. He promised, but his heart isn't in it. Damn Ronnie!"

Gwen had heard nothing about the Escobar meeting, the family had clammed up, but she knew there was now more than just dislike between Hardy and Ronnie now. Roy and his old crew were actively looking for him, but he had disappeared.

After supper, she spent a little more time with Joshua, hugging and fussing over him. He complained, but you could tell he loved it. After a kiss and hug from everyone, including Hardy,

she gathered up Melissa Sue. She didn't even have a suitcase, just two small garbage bags.

After they got into her car, she asked if she needed to go get the rest of her things.

Melissa Sue looked down.

"This is all I have, Aunt Gwen. Do you have a washing machine? I didn't have money for laundry, and everything needs cleaned."

Gwen was shocked. The poor girl had nothing! She thought back to her pampered childhood, and sighed. She made a vow that no matter where she ended up, the quality of her life was going to improve, drastically.

She pulled into the parking lot of the local WalMart. It wasn't what she wanted, but it would do for now.

"Come on, honey. I need to pick up a few things."

The girl was shocked that she was the object of the shopping trip.

"Just a few things right now, we'll get you a whole new wardrobe over the next little while."

Melissa Sue objected, saying she shouldn't spend money on her. Gwen laughed.

"Baby, your Auntie Gwen is loaded. I mean money hanging out of every pocket, you can't count that high, disgustingly rich. Don't worry, this will probably give me more pleasure than you."

New underwear, two pair of jeans, two tops, two pajama sets, new sneakers. Then feminine products, hair mousse, shampoo and conditioner, skin cream. She held up a tube of lip gloss, looking at it longingly, before putting it down. Gwen had a feeling she didn't have a lot of experience with makeup.

"Not that one, the color is all wrong for you. These two would probably work, and you need eyeliner, foundation, oh, never mind. I'll pick for now. You can decide which you like best later."

The cart was getting full. They stopped last in the grocery section.

"Pick out the snacks you want, but not too much junk."

It was a good theory that went to hell pretty fast. Soda, popcorn, chips, ice cream. She did get a pack of yogurt and some fruit to ease her guilt.

Melissa Sue was stunned at the total. She was even more stunned when she saw the house.

"How many people live here?"

"Counting you, two. Come help me unload and put the stuff away, and we'll pick out your bedroom."

She picked the closest room to hers, still insecure. Gwen encouraged her.

"Good, now we'll be close, and it has a bathroom. Two women in the same bathroom gets too crowded."

She made sure she had her bath, brushed her teeth. She even tucked her in, normally a foolish thing to try with a fifteen year old, but she seemed to welcome it. She sat on the bed and talked for a few minutes, while Melissa held her hand with both of hers. Finally getting drowsy, Gwen eased her hand out of her grip, kissed her forehead, and turned out the lights.

Standing in the hall, she tried to imagine this house full of kids. It made her feel warm for a minute, before reality crashed in. She was almost thirty, and was starting to hear the clock tick.

How foolish she was for not wanting children! Now, the only man she wanted to give her children was no longer hers.

It took awhile to fall asleep, she even got up and checked on Melissa twice, marveling at the sleep of the innocent.

She woke with a start, to see Melissa sitting on her bed.

"Good, you're awake! Mrs. Hendricks is fixing breakfast, she says you need to give her money for real food if a growing child is going to live here. Good morning Aunt Gwen!"

She bent down to give her a kiss, and bounced out of the room. She lay there, enjoying the feeling. Mrs. Hendricks was her housekeeper, and had offered several times to cook for her, but being alone she told her not to bother. That had changed now, she wondered how else her lifestyle was going to change.

Breakfast was interesting, with Melissa and Mrs. Hendricks chattering away. Gwen assured Mrs. Hendricks she would establish a household account and give her a debit card.

"I'll get one for your husband too, that way he can get what he needs for his landscape project."

She had gotten a really good deal on the house because of the economy and the condition of the house. It was sound, but it and the grounds had gotten run down. The owners paid for bare maintenance, but not for improvements. She saw him trying to revive a rose bush and asked him why he didn't just replace it.

"No money."

She asked him to come up with a landscape plan, including the installation of a pool, she always enjoyed swimming. He wanted to do most of the work on the grounds, but she talked him into a supervisory role, hiring and supervising the subcontractors. Mrs. Hendricks said it was the happiest she had seen him in years.

After breakfast it was time for a serious talk.

"Melissa, do you want to stay here?"

She hung her head, thinking she was going to be asked to leave.

"Yes ma'am, as long as you will have me."

Gwen hugged her.

"Good. In that case, we have to get you transferred here for school. Do you do well in school?"

Melissa blushed furiously.

"I like school, but momma had us moving around so much I ended up being held back for attendance."

Gwen frowned at her mothers' callousness, but decided a little tutoring over the summer would bring her back to her rightful grade.

"We'll go to your old school Monday, and get your records. I'm not sure what district we're in, but I'll know by then."

She took a deep breath.

I'm glad you want to stay, I want you to stay too. But if you live with me, there has to be some rules."

"First, Mrs. Hendricks is our housekeeper, not a maid. I expect you to keep your room neat and tidy, and not cause her any grief."

"I expect you to be in school when you're supposed to, and get good grades. If you need help, ask. If I can't do it I'll get someone who can."

"I know you're gonna make new friends, and you can have them over and go to their houses, as long as I'm introduced to the parents and approve."

"If they come here, they're your guests and I expect you to be responsible for them."

"I not so old that I don't remember peer pressure, but if you do anything foolish, there will be consequences. I have my own commitments, so I may not always be home, and Mrs. Hendricks may not always be here, so I will depend on your word. Will you give it to me?

Good."

"Now, the big one. You're a very attractive young lady, and I expect boys will swarm around you like flies to honey. No boys in your room, ever. No boys when Mrs. Hendricks or I aren't around."

"That being said, when you turn sixteen, you can go on dates, if I approve. Until then, you may go out with groups."

"That's about it, think you can live with it?"

"Yes ma'am."

"Good, now, why don't you get familiar with the house and grounds while I make a few phone calls. Call your friends if you want."

qhml1
qhml1
8,972 Followers